Body Snatchers -Potential future game-

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Lassr

Body Snatchers -Potential future game-

Post by Lassr »

Run away! Run away! - Wait! Come Back! Come Back! - now run away again! Ok, I think it's safe now, is the 3rd time the charm?

Updated rules...comments, suggestions?

12-14 players? (villagers w/ 3 special and 2 aliens (King & Queen)

2 Aliens -King and Queen alien attempt to convert a villager each night. The villager will either be immune and die or will be converted. A psychic link is established between all the aliens (may communicate at all times by PM or forum).

A predetermined number of villagers (5 to 8?) are immune and die when infected. Number and who will be determined before came starts.

2 Farmers
Farmers may choose to protect or examine a villager each night. The Farmers do not know each other. They cannot scan/protect the same villager in one night (this will be coordinated through the moderator of the game). If one farmer happens to protect or scan the other farmer or the doctor then they learn each others identity and may start PMing each other.

Farmer may protect himself. One Farmer can not protect the same villager 2 nights in a row (Farmer 1 may protect villager 1 on one night and farmer 2 may protect villager 1 the next night). If one chooses to protect the king or queen alien, farmer will die.

Farmer may choose to examine a villagers home and find out if he is an alien. Will be told "human" or “not human”
The Farmer will know if the villager he is examining is turned that night (he will know it is a converted alien).

Farmer may also step up during the day cycle and kill one villager before a lynching. If he does so he loses his scanning ability but not his protection ability.

Doctor -starts working on a vaccine the first day. It will be ready to use on Day 2 (game starts with night 1). He may reveal himself during the day and ask for volunteers to be injected or he may simply inject some one of his choice but his identity will be revealed, or he may sneak in at night and inject someone (if vaccine not used during day cycle), his identity would be revealed to that person. If human, vaccination makes them immune to be turned. If already turned, it will kill the host. When vaccine is used it takes half day to make another. i.e if used during the day then the following night is used to create new vaccine.

Humans lynch one per day.

When King and Queen aliens are killed then the rest die and humans win.

First to majority vote will be lynched.

Aliens win when their numbers equals the humans (unless a farmer that has not used his daytime kill is still alive or the Dr is still alive and has a vaccine to use that day).
To calculate this victory: For each farmer alive that has not used his day kill power adds a +1 to human total. Dr with day vaccine adds +1 to human total.
for example we have 4 aliens alive and 3 villagers alive during a day cycle. 2 villagers are the farmers but only 1 has not used his day kill power. That adds +1 making the ratio 4 aliens to 4 humans. The 3rd villager is the Dr with a vaccine ready. new ratio 4 aliens, 5 villagers. The vaccine and/or day kills must be used that day to try and give the villagers the advantage again. If a lynch vote happens before the day powers are used then the aliens win at the end of the day. Doctor/farmer will be told in a PM from moderator that the aliens are about to attack so they can to use their power if they so desire.

Order of night activities.
Dr injects
Farmer protects
Aliens attempts conversion.
Farmer scans.
Last edited by Lassr on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 am, edited 13 times in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'm not a huge fan of the rules where there is a 50% chance of an action happening. Not saying it can't work, just saying I prefer rules where you decide to kill and it happen unless protected, etc... (thinking back to a game where the hunter had a 50% chance to kill a wolf)

Maybe a Convert/Kill on alternate nights.
Your ad here.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Interesting.

i think this might unbalanced (positively that is) toward the bad guys. Because if they have a chance at converting, every night/day their chance to win grows bigger...after night 1, potential 3 bad guys..night 2...4 bad guys. I know you were thinking about he 50% margin to maybe hold their growth in.

And I think you were tryin for balance with having 2 specials for the good guys.

Just some initial thoughts.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Austin wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the rules where there is a 50% chance of an action happening. Not saying it can't work, just saying I prefer rules where you decide to kill and it happen unless protected, etc... (thinking back to a game where the hunter had a 50% chance to kill a wolf)

Maybe a Convert/Kill on alternate nights.
I think it would add to the Paranoia if the Gardeners do not know if their protection worked.

"Did one or both of us protect? Did we block the conversion? Is there ANOTHER alien?"

The Targeted effect is 100%. The results are 50/50.

And even if someone dies, it could have been a Gardener protecting someone (not likely, with a drawback like that)

Assume 12 players
2 Alien, 10 human.
3 Alien, 9 human or 2 Alien, 9 human (failed)
Lynch 3 A, 8 h / 2 A, 8 h
4 A, 7 h / 3 A, 7 h / 2 A, 7 h
Lynch 4 A, 6 h / 3 A, 6 h / 2 A, 6h
5 A, 5h (game over) / 4 A, 5h (one chance left) / 3 A, 5h (one chance left) / 2A, 5h
Lynch 2A, 4h
3A, 3h (game over) / 2A, 3h (one chance left)

Miss twice and two successful conversion ends the game.
Odds favor a three strike result.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

The hard part for the good guys is that they still need to find and kill 2 SPECIFIC Aliens.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There is nothing inherently wrong with the aliens having the large advantage. All it means is an innocent ought to play to be converted if they want to be on the winning side.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

if the gardeners were able to coordinate their scanning/protecting would it swing the balance to far to the other side?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Maybe an anonymous coordination through you. So G1 can leave a message for G2 once during the day (that can't include his identity), and both are informed of the other's night choice. If G1 chooses to scan G2, then their identities are revealed.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Bakhtosh wrote:Maybe an anonymous coordination through you. So G1 can leave a message for G2 once during the day (that can't include his identity), and both are informed of the other's night choice. If G1 chooses to scan G2, then their identities are revealed.
I have no problem with this. G1 notices someone hanging around the villagers house so he moves on to his next target. SO G1 could not protect V1 the same time G2 was scanning V1 either.

If one ever scans the other then they are free to PM each other.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Newcastle wrote:I know you were thinking about he 50% margin to maybe hold their growth in.
Yeah, I was thinking a better percentage would be
40% converts
60% dies

Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

At the end when the good guys think they've won, can we have a good guy open his mouth and eyes wide, and point at the remaining goodguys making a strange throaty screechy noise?
Your ad here.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Austin wrote:At the end when the good guys think they've won, can we have a good guy open his mouth and eyes wide, and point at the remaining goodguys making a strange throaty screechy noise?

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

updated the rules, still need comments. and looking for sign ups to try and start this game next week.

Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

Should I bother?
Your ad here.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Austin wrote:Should I bother?
We can be bad guys again! You'll have to be the Queen though.

(I suppose I'm in.)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In!
Hodor.
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

in
The Saint
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

in
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

bump

got 5 need 7-9 more.

Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

alright, fine, I'll be IN
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

no I shall Not be playINg this game.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I would dearly love to play but unsure what my internet shall be like on vacation... so I will hold off on committing until I am in Wyoming and know better what the situation holds.
"Where are you off to?"

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Chaosraven wrote:I would dearly love to play but unsure what my internet shall be like on vacation... so I will hold off on committing until I am in Wyoming and know better what the situation holds.
easy solution -> lynch CR

all we need are to pad the numbers
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'll play. I'm sure it will be short anyway. ;)
Your ad here.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Newcastle wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:I would dearly love to play but unsure what my internet shall be like on vacation... so I will hold off on committing until I am in Wyoming and know better what the situation holds.
easy solution -> lynch CR

all we need are to pad the numbers
Fabulous. And if you're lucky I'm a bad guy.
"Where are you off to?"

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

these games may be finally dying out or everyone just thinks my game sucks. I'll give it a while longer before pulling the plug.

Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

Lassr wrote:these games may be finally dying out or everyone just thinks my game sucks. I'll give it a while longer before pulling the plug.
Burn out.
Your ad here.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Austin wrote:
Lassr wrote:these games may be finally dying out or everyone just thinks my game sucks. I'll give it a while longer before pulling the plug.
Burn out.
yeah, that's why I was trying to make mine a little different from the rest.

Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

i would say burnout. There are a lot of people who havent played in a while who use to be mainstays. IF yours doesnt fly, life goes on. Am sure at some point there will be a revival.
stessier

Re: Body Snatchers -Earth Invaded Unopposed -Game suspended

Post by stessier »

Lassr, did you forget about this one?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scoop20906

Re:

Post by Scoop20906 »

Austin wrote:
Burn out.
LOL. One year later and Austin is still playing and still screaming burn out!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just noticed...31 replies and over 1500 views!

Did everyone really need to read the thread 50 times? I didn't think the rules were that confusing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

stessier wrote:Lassr, did you forget about this one?
I think we have a few dusty ones out there, as well as a couple to use put on recent hold.

Of course, nearly half the people signed up for this might already be playing it:
3. proner
4. st_dysan
5. tru1cy
8. RevHempus
"Where are you off to?"

Lassr

Re:

Post by Lassr »

I had not forgotten about it, just decided to stick with the BSG franchise.
Last edited by Lassr on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
Austin

Re: Re:

Post by Austin »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Austin wrote:
Burn out.
LOL. One year later and Austin is still playing and still screaming burn out!
Notice large number of people playing who aren't really playing.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

SO, I've been playing around with the rules for this game.
Look it over and see if it could be enjoyable and playable.

Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Come one, yer talking to the people who played The Thing...

When the scan reveals Alien, will it show King/Queen versus Convert?
"Where are you off to?"

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Chaosraven wrote:Come one, yer talking to the people who played The Thing...

When the scan reveals Alien, will it show King/Queen versus Convert?
I know if the farmer spies on a villager the night the villager is converted he will know it is an alien convert but not sure about the other times yet.
I know death will just show alien or human.

Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Re: Body Snatchers -Ressurection

Post by Chaosraven »

What happens when the Doctor injects the King or Queen?
"Where are you off to?"

Grundbegriff

Re: Body Snatchers -Ressurection

Post by Grundbegriff »

Lassr wrote: 2 Farmers
They cannot scan/protect the same villager in one night (this will be coordinated through the moderator of the game)...
This means that if Farmer John and Farmer Paul both try to protect/scan Villager George, then

(a) they will know that they collided somehow over George, and
(b) they won't know whether it was protect/scan or protect/protect (or scan/protect or scan/scan).

Is (a) correct?
Is (b) correct?

How exactly will the collision be resolved if it's
scan/scan ?
scan/protect ?
protect/scan ?
protect/protect ?

Which Farmer will get to scan/protect George?