New Orleans by Night V:TM forum RPG (Chapter 1)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Silky

New Orleans by Night V:TM forum RPG (Chapter 1)

Post by Silky »

Would there be any interest in this sort of forum game? I have never tried to do anything like it online and on the surface it seems like a fairly daunting task. However if there is enough interest to form a coterie I would give it the old college try.

Now on to my style and idea. I am not all all dice heavy and enjoy the story telling elements more so than a straight numbers/percentages game. However the times when dice are important they are very important. It would also be important for the participating players to at least have a general idea of the rules and setting. I am not sure if there is ready information online for this so it might even be useful to have a source book or two.

New Orleans is my home town and should be easy enough for me to flesh out or fudge if need be. This would however be the World of Darkness New Orleans so not all details need to match the real world.

My general idea is to have the players to pick from pre-made characters that they would select by a description of clan, demeanor, and concept. Among the benefits of this approach is the actual abilities of the player character won't be known by the others. The character can then be given some minor modifications before the start with things like merits/flaws and maybe some freebie points thrown in. If the outcry is big enough to create custom characters then I suppose we can go that route.

It would naturally be better if the players work together to solve whatever trials await them but it would not be strictly required. For example a more scholarly character can be doing research while more gung-ho characters can be out cracking some skulls for hot leads. Active participation would be nice but it some player drops out it would not be the end all. It might even open up a slot for someone else.

PMing between the story teller and other player characters would be allowed. I don't mind the odd subterfuge but all players should generally be working to further the same goal. I will do my best to make sure it would be in their best interest anyway.

So any interested people have suggestions or questions?

http://oonobn.freeforums.org is the site I will be using to post static and general information about the game.
Last edited by Silky on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Flibble says: Game Over boys!
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Is this combat heavy or more politics? Sabbat or Camarilla? What clans? Pre Gehanna or Post Gehanna?

Will you be using any Werewolf, Wraith or Mage in your setting?

Yes I'm interested
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Can I play a Black Spiral Dancer / Lasombra abomination?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Silky

Post by Silky »

tru1cy wrote:Is this combat heavy or more politics? Sabbat or Camarilla? What clans? Pre Gehanna or Post Gehanna?

Will you be using any Werewolf, Wraith or Mage in your setting?

Yes I'm interested
The coterie would be Camarilla and potentially some neutrals. The general setting will be post Katrina New Orleans which was a stronghold for blue blood Ventrue. The status quo changed dramatically post Katrina and Sabbat from Mexico used the confusion to gain a strong foothold and are driving the Camarilla from the city.

It is not my intent for the story to be combat heavy. If the players decide that is the means to an end I will not complain too much.

I will not be going out of my way to mirror established WoD story lines. If it fits then I will probably use it. The setting I would like to use is Pre-Gehenna and is the one I am most familiar with.

There are other creatures in New Orleans by Night. Mages certainly, Werewolf probably, Wraiths potentially, Mummies and Changelings probably not :)
Silky

Post by Silky »

Chaosraven wrote:Can I play a Black Spiral Dancer / Lasombra abomination?

There would be too many 5 point flaws for this build :wink:
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Silky wrote:

Hey if there's not gonna be combat it's just Flavor Text :twisted:
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Silky

Post by Silky »

Chaosraven wrote:
Silky wrote:

How about a Malkavian that thinks he is a Black Spiral Dancer/Lasombra? :horse:
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Silky wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:
Silky wrote:

How about a Malkavian that thinks he is a Black Spiral Dancer/Lasombra? :horse:
Now that would be fun...

"Hey! You can't hit me!! I'm in the UMBRA. Ow. Ow. ok pal... LightningBolt! LightningBolt! Well if yer gonna pretend you can see me then I'm playing a Wizard, Muah ha ha ha. Ow. Ok now that's starting to hurt."
"Where are you off to?"

RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

I have never actually played the Vampire RPG's. I had the sourcebooks and was trying to learn it but I could find noone to play at the time. However I learn fast, and would like to try it.
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Well, I've some experience with Brujah (my favorite), True Brujah, Caitliffs, Malk (not my favorite to play), Tremere and Nosferatu. I'm okay with pre-gen characters.

Lastly, what generation will the vamps be from?
Silky

Post by Silky »

tru1cy wrote:Lastly, what generation will the vamps be from?
I have 12 floating around in my head. The coterie would be fledglings.
Silky

Post by Silky »

RevHempus71 wrote:I have never actually played the Vampire RPG's. I had the sourcebooks and was trying to learn it but I could find noone to play at the time. However I learn fast, and would like to try it.
Good enough for me.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I sent a PM to Sean, Minister of KtSP, an old gaming buddy of mine from Ann Arbor who recently joined OO
"Where are you off to?"

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Silky how soon are you looking ot start?
Silky

Post by Silky »

Well my first idea was to gauge interest before I started actually working on it. I will take some time during this weekend to put things together. I was also hoping for 4-5 players but I can do three as well. I can probably be ready to go in a week or so.

I would really like to hammer home the characters with all the players and make sure they get a good feel for who they are, what they know, and what their motivations are. That will take a little time as well. After that its off to the races.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Do you have to know what you're doing or can you figure it out as you go along with minimum background, a la CR's DnD games?
Your ad here.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If I can just muck along until I have a feel for it I'll give it a try. Can I play Ravenos or should I pick one of the Camarilla clans?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

M is for the Many Masks and Mirrors Mocking Me
A is for Always Alone
L is for List
what's that spell?
MMMMMAAL
wait. What does that mean?
Would the writers please check the script again?
I refuse to perform under such conditions.
I'll be in my crypt.
Call my agent.
"Where are you off to?"

Silky

Post by Silky »

Austin wrote:Do you have to know what you're doing or can you figure it out as you go along with minimum background, a la CR's DnD games?
It would help but I don't think it should be required. You may need to read up on some things to be able to make sense of what is going on around. It is a different beast than the D&D games. If you read or saw any fantasy whatsoever you have a pretty good idea of what is going on in the D&D games.

While derivative of material like Anne Rice novels it has some original concepts. The Camarilla, for example, have rules that they must abide by or face severe consequences.

I am working on putting an FAQ of sorts up on a freeforums site. I would rather put static information on an external website then clutter this one with multiple threads and links. That way this thread can serve as the active game and the one that is hopefully an enjoyable read for the viewing audience.
Silky

Post by Silky »

Remus West wrote:If I can just muck along until I have a feel for it I'll give it a try. Can I play Ravenos or should I pick one of the Camarilla clans?
What I am hoping to do is have a number of pre-generated characters from different clans for the players to pick from. I will make sure a Ravnos is included and if that concept seems to fit the bill then be my guest.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Pip pip pip... die die die
Targety-targety-targety
SUCCESS (majestic pose)
Failure (dismal look)

The all seeing eye understands the strings and things and ceiling wax of reality...

Perhaps a primer on what things do and how they work is in order
"Where are you off to?"

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

For those interested here is some background information

World of Darkness

Vampire

Vampire can be a political game or combat heavy or a mix of both. Rules are simple enough, but the game is more about the story and the background intrigue.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I enjoyed, Kindred the Embraced - or whatever vamp show was on way back in the early 90's. That had a couple clans/types of vamps. If you want to beta this here, I'll jump in but feel free to kick me out for any fan who wants in. (If I play I'll have fun and participate, but I have enough going on that it won't break my heart to give up my spot)
Your ad here.
Silky

Post by Silky »

Here are some character templates with demeanor. If you don't see one you think is interesting PM me and hopefully we can work one up.

Giovanni doom prophet - Visionary CLAIMED
Toreador speed metal guitarist - Rebel
Brujah vigilante - Loner CLAIMED
Ventrue counselor - Counselor
Malkavian street artist - Autist CLAIMED
Nosferatu curio collector - Curmudgeon
Ravnos motorcycle gang leader - Jester CLAIMED
Gangrel wetland conservationist - Traditionalist
Tremere degenerate gambler - Deviant CLAIMED
Silky

Post by Silky »

The story is coming along better than I thought. So the last big hurdle is getting the characters assigned. All of the interested people please select your preference. Again if you do not see something you like or have some different ideas drop me a PM and we will work it out.
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

Ravnos motorcycle gang leader - Jester Sounds cool to me.
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

RevHempus71 wrote:Ravnos motorcycle gang leader - Jester Sounds cool to me.
Sigh. :wink:

I'll go as the Giovanni then unless CR wants that in which case I will play the Malkavian.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Malkavian street artist - Autist

you misspelled Black Spiral Dancer *and* Lasombra... but that's ok, I love you anyway.
"Where are you off to?"

Silky

Post by Silky »

Chaosraven wrote:Malkavian street artist - Autist

you misspelled Black Spiral Dancer *and* Lasombra... but that's ok, I love you anyway.
Don't believe the hype :wink:
Silky

Post by Silky »

All of the characters have been created and its almost time for the game. Once everyone is comfortable and ready to get started please give me the green light here. If there is something you wish to discuss about your character before we get started please let me know on the offsite forums.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Sitting in the rain the night is full of movement and noises

The Yellow center portion of the traffic light pulses, the twin red flashing to the sides bathing the sidestreets in a bloody crimson wash. But the soothing Yellow pulse mixes with the Neon OPEN at the Bird of Paradise Jazz Club behind me... the puddles with brief mirrors in the Looking Glass world of those who walk by and pay me no mind echo the world above... and the loving caress of the Amber Pulse and the Azure Glow infiltrate my eyes...

...fusing into a Green Light
"Where are you off to?"

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Green Light

Walks out of his haven and looks at his beat up Crown Vic. A thin smiles reveals prefectly white teeth with two pointed canines. Feeling the reassuring weight of his gun under his arm he gets into the car and starts it

Time to Hunt.
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

Green Light

As I awaken from a slumber, once again filled with visions of the Sabbat, I gather my weapons and prepare for another night of hunting.

Vengance will be mine!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Vitorio arises slowly from his sleep and stretches the day's rust from his joints. Adjusting his glasses carefully on his face he sighs softly to himself then heads out for another night of work.

(Green light)
Silky

Post by Silky »

"I turned into a Martian" by Misfits

Possession of the mind is a terrible thing
It's a transformation with an urge to kill
Not the body of a man from earth
Not the face of the one you love, 'cause
Well, I turned into a Martian
I can't even recall my name
Times I never hardly sleep at night
Well, I turned into a Martian today
I walk down city streets
On an unsuspecting human world
Inhuman in your midst
This world is mine to own, 'cause
Well, I turned into a Martian
Silky

Post by Silky »

Prologue: Le miroir n'a aucun visage

The Kindred are invited to Rubis d'le Nuit, the home of the Prince. Each for their own reasons decide to accept.

The contents of the letter, email, voice message, singing telegram is:

If you would be so kind; Please stop by my home at 10:30 PM on February the 21th. There is a matter of some importance I wish to discuss.

Kind Regards,
Marcel Guilbeau

Rublis d'le Nuit is located on River Road several miles to the west of New Orleans. The main house lies at the end of a dirt road covered in oyster shells. A dense tangle of moss-hung cypress and oak trees line the road. Near the house the trees thin out, opening like a curtain to reveal the splendor of the grounds about the house.

To the side of the house, a few hundred yards away, stands an elegant gazebo. You can see a small family burial ground behind the gazebo, accented with off white Gothic statues.

The house itself is a three story stucco mansion with a distinctive French Colonial flavor. Twelve Corinthian columns support a second floor balcony. Two sweeping staircases lead up to double French doors that grace the front of the house. Even through all this beauty there is not much effort to hide all of the security devices and features you see. You wonder how many more there are you cannot detect.

You are met at the staircase by a large creole woman and a Haitian man. They escort you through this stately plantation house and into a large meeting room. The rooms blend Southern culture and French Provincial. There is no one here, but there are 4 glasses of dark red liquid arranged around the large central table as well as a decanter in the center. Old time Jazz is being piped in through cleverly concealed speakers placed strategically around the crown molding. There is a projector on the ceiling along with a permanent screen on the far wall. The art on the walls is tasteful and no doubt worth a small fortune. There are many smaller satellite tables surrounding the large central one. A few have old time wired telephones sitting on them next to pads of paper and pencil.

The creole woman says in a husky voice "The master will see you shortly. Please make yourselves comfortable in the meantime". With that they both depart. Leaving you alone with 3 others you have not met before. You wonder what you are all doing here at the same time and in the same place. You stopped believing in coincidences long ago.

Studying the other Kindred for a moment you see:

A tall dark skinned Kindred with broad shoulders and a lean waist. Both his head and face are clean shaved. He is wrapped in a well worn duster.
(tru1cy)

A tall, stocky, strikingly handsome Kindred with long brown locks and penetrating brown eyes. He is wearing a leather trench coat and biker boots.
(RevHempus71)

A bookish looking Kindred of Italian decent. His long, dark hair is tied into a ponytail. His roman nose, affixed with spectacles, has the tendency to point in an upward manner. He gazes around with room intently with his watery blue eyes.
(Remus West)

A rather unkempt Kindred with a rats nest of brown, curly, hair. He has a tall and slender build (most would say skinny). He is wearing paint stained jeans and T-shirt with old combat boots.
(Chaosraven)

Story Teller Note: The Prologue will serve as a tutorial hopefully. The kindred are free to do as they please while waiting for their host. They can sit in a comfy chair and twiddle their thumbs, they can sniff the beverages, they can converse with one another, etc.

If you wish to make any sort of roll please PM me or post in the thread as appropriate. You may decide you want to check out the room and see if any listening devices are present for example. I will tell you roll that is required (Perception + Security in this example) and you tell me the results of the roll. There are some things I will roll automatically for you. You will be updated as appropriate if I roll for you.

Once again the way you describe the action you want to take can have an effect on the Primary and Secondary skill used. You want the bellman at the hotel to give you the key to another room? One way is Charisma + Subterfuge. Another could be Manipulation + Intimidation.

You may decide to hold a private conversation with someone. If other players are in the area of observation you would post something like... Character A walks up to Character B and starts conversing in a low voice. You can then start a PM conversation.

If it any time you have any questions you can post in the thread or PM me if it is of a more private nature. If you are ever at a loss for what to do next; sit down for a minute and ask yourself what your character would do in that situation.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I'll pick up a pad and pencil from near one of the phones and start doodling.

"Doodle doodle open your noodle"

hums

"what?"

cocks head and makes a disgusted face

"don't be absurd"

Stops in front of one painting and starts rolling around on the floor giggling
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Vitorio picks up one of the glasses gently dips his pinky in and samples the flavor of what is in the glass while walking back to have a seat at one of the satellite tables near the door.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Jack squints at the Italian and SNEAKS OVER VERY SNEAKY SNEAKY ON TIPTOES to sit next to him.

"Aaaaaaaaaand what do you do when you do what you do?"
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

pushing his glasses up onto his nose properly, Vitorio looks at the creature who has approached him

I wait. Same as we all.