Robo Rally Game 3 - Turn 30 Complete - TWONKY WINS!!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Robo Rally Game 3 - Turn 30 Complete - TWONKY WINS!!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Final State
Enlarge ImageEnlarge Image

Damage Count

Remus West (Squash Bot) : 2
Shinjin (Twonky) : 2
srdaniel (Twitch) : 2
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 121 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Re: Robo Rally Game 3 - Coming Soon

Post by stessier »

I think I'm going to sit this one out. I'm still dizzy from all the conveyors in the last game. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That would drop us to a max of 6 former participants, so I'm extending a re-invite to our two members that had to drop prior to Game 1, SP4[3L0R1] and L0R-DM-0R715, er, SpaceLord and LordMortis.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:I think I'm going to sit this one out. I'm still dizzy from all the conveyors in the last game. :)
Chicken. :P
I'm in.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

In!
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

You know I'm in :) Woohoo!

(Too early to call dibs on Twonky?)
mipe

Post by mipe »

In
Roleplaying in Massive Multiplayer Online Role-playing game?
BLASHPHEMY!!

Do you like OO? Do you like Civilization? Do you like Fall From Heaven 2? If you answer yes at all, come to viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62242
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

how can I resist another?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No word from Grund (who's been AWOL since the day the thread started) or srdaniel (last seen on May 11th) yet.

Call your friends, call your neighbors, call your neighbor's friends. I am opening up the last two slots to a first-come, first-serve basis.
Remus West

Re: Robo Rally Game 3 - Coming Soon - Open Call, 2 More

Post by Remus West »

Try his blog to contact Grund. No idea how to contact srdaniel.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
srdaniel

Re: Robo Rally Game 3 - Coming Soon - Open Call, 2 More

Post by srdaniel »

We had some people at work abuse the internet policy and I've had to watch restrict my usage to work related activities only. Plus I just sometimes forget to check the internet completely. But I'm in.
Scoop20906

Re: Robo Rally Game 3 - Coming Soon - Open Call, 1 More

Post by Scoop20906 »

I've played this game once before in person and thought it was pretty neat. I will give it a go if you guys are a bit patient with a noob. In please.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
LordMortis

Re: Robo Rally Game 3 - Coming Soon - Open Call, 1 More

Post by LordMortis »

Scoop20906 wrote:I've played this game once before in person and thought it was pretty neat. I will give it a go if you guys are a bit patient with a noob. In please.
I haven't played since Andy before Sandy were engaged to be married. I don't have a natural time line in my head but I think that was the late 80s. It might have been as late as 91, maybe. I meant to play at OctoCon but then I got distracted.
Isgrimnur

Re: Robo Rally Game 3 - Coming Soon - Registration Closed

Post by Isgrimnur »

Welcome to the party, Scoop.

We have a full complement registered. I will work on getting some info up this evening to get the rules and everything collated to one post and start throwing out board/arrangement ideas.

After Game 2, I certainly won't be looking for belt-heavy maps... :D
srdaniel

Post by srdaniel »

Isgrimnur wrote:After Game 2, I certainly won't be looking for belt-heavy maps... :D
I don't think the major problem was the belts though. Flag placement caused much more of a problem than the belts. Belts to me just take a bit more double checking before submitting the move. Measure twice, fall in a pit once or something like that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here be the rules that I will be playing by. It's all old-school since this is what I have for quick reference. This covers the basic game. Additional rules for newer boards will be posted once we determine the course.

Here's a demo of the action. Under Examples of Play, there is a Mini Rally Training Ground on the lower right that will allow you to play a graphical demonstration of how stuff works.

I will review the first three hands of all players to ensure that processing them will not result in a directly player caused death. This does not preclude your competitors from assisting you in an unforeseen way that will result in your death anyway.

I will answer any general rules questions posted in the thread or via PM.

If asked, I will confirm or deny that the cards you submitted will result in a certain destination barring any unforeseen competitor assistance. I will provide no other assistance other than a "Yes, that should get you where you expect" or a "No, this will not get you your desired result." Again, these will not be guaranteed against any competitor "assistance". If you do not ask, I will not tell.

Turns are generally run twice a week, giving ample time for review of your hand and return of your cards. Processing has generally taken about an hour. Attention is generally required by the players once they require a weapon that would require a choice to fire over the normal laser. In those events, I gladly take pre-turn conditionals to speed the processing, but they are not required.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As much as I want to do a 5-board layout in a cross pattern, the 300px bigimg tags make it infeasible without having wrapping issues. Suggestions for boards and layouts are welcome.

I have the ability to run any of the 20 boards put on in the initial runs for Robo Rally, Armed and Dangerous, Grand Prix, Crash and Burn, and Radioactive. Board images are available under the Images section of each page.

My initial thoughts (*have been revised below)
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srdaniel

Post by srdaniel »

I will need some help on the expansions boards I've never seen. What are the effects/rules of the following

Canyon
- oil squares
- yellow and red teleporter looking squares
- torch with bullets square
- lightening squares

Back Strech
- Is that a phase activated pit (1245)? If so is it open or closed on phase 3?

I have armed and dangerous, so for those that don't, here are the new board elements for that expansion:
(click to enlarge)
[bigimg]http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4717/a ... erous2.jpg[/bigimg]
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks for the A&D QR sheet, srdaniel. Below is the one for Grand Prix, which are the two other boards.

Short answers:

If you stop on oil, you keep sliding in the direction of travel until you're off of it or hit a wall. Hit another bot, you both keep going.

Yellow and red teleporter looking squares are ... teleporters. Immediate effect unless the destination is occupied. No telefragging.

Torch is a Chop Shop. Replace an existing option if you have one, gain an option if you don't, or reload an existing option with ammo.

Lightning squares are repulsors. Run into the barrier and get pushed away by the number of squares on the card.

The pit is phase activated. Your example would be closed on phase 3, open on all others.

Another item of note is that the Canyon is a depressed area that is below the normal level of play. You can fall in and take damage and have to go up a ramp to exit.

Enlarge Image
srdaniel

Post by srdaniel »

Is this the layout then or are you waiting for input on the number, selection, layout of the boards?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those thoughts only. Any suggestions are welcome.
srdaniel

Post by srdaniel »

k,

1) I think four boards would be better than five simple because it looks neater.
2) I never played the Chasm board simply because it looks way to tough.

How many flags are you thinking of using?
Do you think you will lay them out sequentially or make the bots cross the boards back and forth to get the flags?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We could go for the Game 1 setup with a 2x2 grid and crossing setup for the flags to increase interaction. While Chasm does present its own unique difficulties, I have played with it before and as long as it's far enough along that not everyone is on it at once, it's kinda fun. I certainly wouldn't expect the board to host the start or Flag 1. Flag 3 maybe or possibly as a speed bump before flag 4.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm so totally new at this that I can provide and useful suggestions on the boards. I am just going to wing it and see how much damage I can cause along the way. 8-)
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least you have the proper attitude.

I'll work on something to put forth as a possible setup this evening. Thoughts at the moment are 4 flags, six boards.

Code: Select all

_4
1C
S_
Each number represents a flagged board, C would be Chasm, and S would be the Start location.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Whatcha think? Again, I feel Chasm adds a certain puzzle element to it. As the gateway board to the last flag, which would be placed on Pit Row, this would slow any person with an early lead and allow the possibility of someone catching up. The lack of a flag on the board will mitigate some of the worst aspects of pushing and shoving that would lead to rampant death as seen in Game 2.

Revised.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu May 21, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srdaniel

Re: Robo Rally Game 3 - In Setup

Post by srdaniel »

Are you going to have a 2x3 grid pattern or is it going to be offset like in your previous post?

(X = blank, B = Board)
XB
BB
BB
BX

Chasm is fine, I just have this innate fear of it. I think it would be better if you kept it to 2x3 pattern instead of an offset pattern simply for scrolling through the forums. Either way based on input I think people just want to play no matter what board/flag layout you come up with.

Any idea where you're going to have the flags, not position specific, but what flag on what board? Just curious if it's going to be linear or do you have to back travel to get to the next flag.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, 2*3 would screen fit better. A bit of crossing on the flags would keep anyone from getting discouraged, as you have to go back through the back part of the field if you are in the lead. Lets the back pack play spoiler for a bit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srdaniel

Post by srdaniel »

Looks good to me. Although I would probably go with either

or

BB

either should give you the same back peddling. However from my experience it really depends on the goals of the bots that aren't in the lead as to how much interaction there will be between the lead bot and the rest. If the bots not in the lead just try to catch up there isn't as much interaction compared to bots trying to stop the lead bot from advancing. However smaller maps are a much bigger factor in bot interaction compared to player behavior in my mind. Also from my experience bots that stay back and try to intercept the lead bot, in general are not usually as affective as desired.
stessier

Post by stessier »

srdaniel wrote:Also from my experience bots that stay back and try to intercept the lead bot, in general are not usually as affective as desired.
I concur.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
mipe

Post by mipe »

I'm fine with the maps isgrimnur posted, only thing I could possibly change is change the flags between 3 and 4. That way, there is greater reward for people that attemp to cross the chasm...
Roleplaying in Massive Multiplayer Online Role-playing game?
BLASHPHEMY!!

Do you like OO? Do you like Civilization? Do you like Fall From Heaven 2? If you answer yes at all, come to viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62242
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Been out of town. I'll work on a revision this evening. Thanks for the input, guys.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:Been out of town. I'll work on a revision this evening. Thanks for the input, guys.
Before you get started I agree with mipe. Changing the locations of those flags will reward someone for making the run across the chasm but they still have the option to avoid it.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:Should we move Flag 4 to the start board?
Sure, that way folks coming from 2 can actually interfere with folks headed towards 4.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Looks good to me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll let it stand for review. If there are no objections, we can move on to bot selection and get this race underway.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Looks good to Hammerbot (Mk II).
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis