Axis and Allies by Email

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Axis and Allies by Email

Post by Remus West »

Anyone interested in playing? Need either one or four more.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Re: Axis and Allies by Email

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:Anyone interested in playing? Need either one or four more.
Never played before. Is it easy to learn?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:Anyone interested in playing? Need either one or four more.
Never played before. Is it easy to learn?
Relatively. I'll go find the link to the site and post that so you can check it out.

Link
No real rules posted that I noticed though. The preview option should be a little help but let me see what I can dig up. I thought there were a couple of game threads on here.

OP in this thread has a link to the rules
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'll play with the caveat that turns may take a day or two for me to complete over the Holidays.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

I've never played either, shameful though it may be. I'd consider a newbie game.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
xvzinjvx

Post by xvzinjvx »

If you ever need players for a A&A game, PM me!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Well shoot, if he's in, we have to play!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Did you decide not to do this?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:Did you decide not to do this?
:oops:
I've been playing with a local friend (redrun when he logs in here). If people are interested in playing a game I'd start one up. So far, we have Grund, stessier, Remus West, xvzinjvx, and the Preacher that have expressed tentative interest. If you (stessier) would PM the others to check their continued interest and gather email addies I'll set it up.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:
I've been playing with a local friend (redrun when he logs in here). If people are interested in playing a game I'd start one up. So far, we have Grund, stessier, Remus West, xvzinjvx, and the Preacher that have expressed tentative interest. If you (stessier) would PM the others to check their continued interest and gather email addies I'll set it up.
You're cheating on us?!?! I'm crushed!

I'll get on it. By the way, xvzinjvx is an spam bot. Not sure he'll be much of a challenge...
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:
Remus West wrote:
You're cheating on us?!?! I'm crushed!

I'll get on it. By the way, xvzinjvx is an spam bot. Not sure he'll be much of a challenge...
IN which case we are still looking for one. Maybe you should start a recruitment campaign.
stessier

Post by stessier »

PM's sent to Grund and Preacher to confirm.

PM's sent to Bakhtosh and El Guapo to see if they want to be the 5th (they played in the last one).

Maybe someone else will drop in and decide to join? If Bakhtosh and El Guapo say no, I'll get more aggressive.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
Maybe someone else will drop in and decide to join? If Bakhtosh and El Guapo say no, I'll get more aggressive.
And do what, invade Poland? Sure, I'd be happy to play. :)
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I have no idea how to play, but I'm willing to learn.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:
stessier wrote:
And do what, invade Poland? Sure, I'd be happy to play. :)
Naw - just instituting the draft. :P
xvzinjvx

Post by xvzinjvx »

Remus West wrote:
Huh?? How am I a spam bot? Ive played with Remus/El Guapo/Bakhtosh in the past...

And im playing the OO Empires game atm
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

xvzinjvx wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Huh?? How am I a spam bot? Ive played with Remus/El Guapo/Bakhtosh in the past...

That'll teach him to call a lurker a spam bot.and make me buy into it without thinking :oops:
stessier

Post by stessier »

xvzinjvx wrote:
Remus West wrote:

Wow, they're really getting intricate with their dialog programs.
Spoiler:
:doh:
Sorry!!
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

This week is really bad for me, but I'd be willing to come up the learning curve next week.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

When you have email addies let me know (and PM them to me along with the appropriate names) and I'll get the game set up.

If anyone has a nation of preference let me know.

Some very basic advice (tweak it to make each nation more effective)
Russia - hold off Germany long enough for the other Allies to help out.
Britain - Establish enough of a presence in the British sea to protect your transports then get troops over to help Russia.
USA - assist Britian regarding the protecting of transports and get troops to help Russia OR pressure Japan via the sea.
Japan - control the Pacific and storm Asia
Germany - take Africa and hold Europe taking out Russia if the opening is there
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Could you provide links here to the tutorial information that you recommend, Remus? I don't know what to make of your nation-specific advice, because I'm truly coming at this tabula rasa. All I know is that it's a game about WWII.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:Could you provide links here to the tutorial information that you recommend, Remus? I don't know what to make of your nation-specific advice, because I'm truly coming at this tabula rasa. All I know is that it's a game about WWII.
I never did a tutorial and am not sure where to find one. I learned the game by playing it here. I'd suggest going to the site (I think I provided a link above but if not I will add one here) and signing up to play a game against yourself. I'll type up some of the rules so you get the idea though.

Play runs in order Russia, Germany, Britain, Japan, USA.
Each turn you have several things you can do in order:
1) Research technology - $5 per die each 6 rolled earns you a tech (expanded below)
2) Purchase units (prices listed on the pop-up you use to buy them but typical cost Infantry $3, Tank $5, Fighter $12, Bomber $15, Transport $8)
3) Move units to attack - this includes loading and unloading transports to make any amphibious assaults *note any attack involving units making Amphibious Assaults can not be retreated from regardless of which units are left*
4) Make non-combat moves - same as combat moves save that you are moving from a friendly location to a friendly location (or unoccupied Sea zone)
5) Place new units purchased in step 2 -must be placed at a supply center.
6) collect $ and order units for destruction if attacked (defaults to cost order so the cheap units die first)

The value of spaces are printed on the game map. Axis wins is it ends a round in control of $84 worth of spaces. Either side wins by taking out 2 capitals of the enemy.

You may place an unlimited number of new units in your home supply centers. Other areas (either purchased supply centers or captured) only allow a number of new units equal to the $ value of the space. For instance, Karelia is a Russian supply center with a dollar value of 3. Russia may place any number of new units there each turn. If Germany captures Karelia it may only place 3 new units there each turn. Supply centers may be built on any place you owned at the start of your turn - not newly captured areas.

Air units - Fighters and Bombers
Fighters defend at 4 or less and attack at 3 or less. They have a move of 4.
Bombers defend at 1 and attack at 4. They have a move of 6.Additionally Bombers may make attacks on supply centers. They roll their attack die (or dice if you develop heavy bombers) and the targeted nation must discard that much $.
Air units are vulnerable to anti-aircraft guns in any territory they fly over. Anti-aircraft guns shoot before anything else happens in any attack. They shoot at each plane regardless of the number of planes. Each 1 rolled destroys the attacking plane before it can participate in the attack.
Aircraft movement includes the spaces to get there and to get back to a friendly landing zone. Aircraft may not land in a newly captured area.

Ground units - Infantry and Tanks
Infantry defend at 2 or less and attack at 1. They have a move of 1.
Tanks defend at 2 or less and attack at 3. They have a move of 2. Additionally Tanks have the ability to blitz. This means that they may take an enemy territory if it is empty (and only if it is empty - this is not a true double attack) and move on to attack a second area. They may also blitz and enemy territory and return to their starting location rather than moving out.

Sea Units - All have a move of 2
Transport - may carry 2 Inf or 1 Tank. Defend at 1 attack at 0.
Aircraft Carrier - May carry and provide mobile landing for 2 fighters. Attack at 1 defend at 3.
Battleship - attack and defend at 4. Additionally Battleships may provide a landing shot during an amphibious assault. If they are not involved in a sea battle the same turn and are in the same space as units making an amphibious assault they provide a single round of cover fire at 4 or less to hit.
Subs - Attack at 2. Defend at 1(or 2 not sure). Attacking subs remove their hits before the defender rolls.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I could probably be talked into it. A strip-o-gram (females only, < 125lb, no missing teeth) sent to my office would be very persuasive.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
xvzinjvx

Post by xvzinjvx »

Bakhtosh wrote:I could probably be talked into it. A strip-o-gram (females only, < 125lb, no missing teeth) sent to my office would be very persuasive.
What about missing arms? :shock:
xvzinjvx

Post by xvzinjvx »

stessier wrote:
xvzinjvx wrote:
Remus West wrote:

Wow, they're really getting intricate with their dialog programs.
Spoiler:
:doh:
Sorry!!
np! ... better hope we never play while ur russia and im ger :wink:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

xvzinjvx wrote:
Bakhtosh wrote:I could probably be talked into it. A strip-o-gram (females only, < 125lb, no missing teeth) sent to my office would be very persuasive.
What about missing arms? :shock:
Art is more expensive.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

BTW, I have enough Google Wave invitations to send one to everybody if we wanted to try to use that.