2nd try: Dragon Age forum RPG?

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Turtle

2nd try: Dragon Age forum RPG?

Post by Turtle »

Green Ronin just released the pdf version of their Dragon Age pen and paper RPG:
http://greenronin.com/dragon_age/" target="_blank

I'm going to GM this game and I'm looking for players. For now, this will be handled a bit freeform on forums, with players able to handle a lot of basic stuff for themselves, such as rolling to hits and damage rolls, and if they're so inclined, writing out descriptions of their actions for extra flourish (within reason). Since it's not competitive, this should work out for the best.

For the most part, this will run similar to a normal D&D game. It won't be just dungeon delves, but in general you can expect a good amount of combat, similar to the way the game handled the campaign.

The rules are a bit easier to get into as well, more streamlined than D&D but still having the basics of it. Power escalation isn't as large as D&D though. It's a Roll 3d6 + attribute + skill system with the average difficulty target number being 11.

The campaign will take place after the game, and probably during the same time period as the expansion.
Scoop20906

Re: 2nd try: Dragon Age forum RPG?

Post by Scoop20906 »

I read the dragon age book and I think the universe is pretty thick. I'd try it out. Wonder if I will be the only one this time too?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
docD

Post by docD »

I'd be interested.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Is it something I can do without seeing the rulebook? If so I could be talked into it easily enough (pretty much through answering yes to that question).
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I can handle all rolls for anyone who doesn't have the rulebook, even make their characters.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Turtle wrote:I can handle all rolls for anyone who doesn't have the rulebook, even make their characters.
As long as you can explain my abilities you can count me in then.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Would we be doing it on the boards... would we be trying to find time to meet up on google wave? I'm interested in theory (Although someone might have to make me a character)... just curious to how it would be done.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm still in. 2nd Dragon Age book just came out and I downloaded it onto my Iphone too.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Oh, could I bring in my character from my current Dragon Age game? :P

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Semaj wrote:Would we be doing it on the boards... would we be trying to find time to meet up on google wave? I'm interested in theory (Although someone might have to make me a character)... just curious to how it would be done.
In the past we have done this on the boards. CR had a few D&D games going for a bit and there was a world of darkness game that rocked until it ended.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I can run the game for 3 players, anyone wanting to join later can be picked up by the group on their quest.

If no one wants to buy the rules or anything, I can just assemble all your characters based off of descriptions you guys give me.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Ok no one else seems to want in... heh

Anyone have and preferences for character types?

I havent read the book, want to give me an idea for how character creation goes? What game is it closest to?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Semaj wrote:Ok no one else seems to want in... heh

Anyone have and preferences for character types?

I havent read the book, want to give me an idea for how character creation goes? What game is it closest to?
I'm assuming it is D&Dish so I'll run a thief.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

There's actually only 3 classes, just like Dragon Age. Warrior, Rogue, Mage. There's different ways you can specialize them, kind of like prestige classes that are added on top, and in general skills are pretty open to choosing. You can be a sneaky back alley thief, or a dashing rogue, or a sophisticate noble with rogue skills. Let me finish up some BSG boardgame stuff and I'll get this one started properly with a good write-up of how you'll guys get started.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I will be a Rogue.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Scoop20906 wrote:I will be a Rogue.
Well, then I guess I will switch from a thief to a Mage. Preferably a Evocation type.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Ohh I know what that makes me!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Remus West wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:I will be a Rogue.
Well, then I guess I will switch from a thief to a Mage. Preferably a Evocation type.
You dont have to do that Remus. I was planning on playing as a Bard or Duelist so we might be able to co-habitat. What do you think turtle?

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Please play whatever you would like to play and enjoy. There is no need to try and do a D&D style party. I tailor adventures to match the group, not some arbitrary D&D style party, and the Dragon Age system does a good job of supporting different groups. It's worse to have regrets about a character you play.
docD

Post by docD »

I'll play a mage.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Turtle wrote:Please play whatever you would like to play and enjoy. There is no need to try and do a D&D style party. I tailor adventures to match the group, not some arbitrary D&D style party, and the Dragon Age system does a good job of supporting different groups. It's worse to have regrets about a character you play.
In which case I'll be the back alley thief as there really is no other kind. :P
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Do mages do healing? Can Warriors heal? I know there are nto standard archtypes... but I assume there is a limit to what any style class can do.

Like say I wanted to be a Wow Shaman (This is an example)... Some healing, a bit o damage, decent in a fight, would that fall under warrior or a thief or a mage? Can in theory each of the classes be made into a similar mold of the shammie? Should I think of a concept and not worry about the other guys (It looked like thiefapalooza for a minute, which I woulda been sadly fine with lol.