[WW]Space Marine rule discussion & sign up- need 10

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

tru1cy

[WW]Space Marine rule discussion & sign up- need 10

Post by tru1cy »

It is the 41st millennium. For the more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by will of the gods, and master of million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand Souls are sacrificed every day, so the he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's Will. Greatest amongst His soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse. - Opening paragraphs from Warhammer novels

On the way back to their Fortress Monastery after being relieved from the posting near the Eye of Terror the Dark Angels Second Company is assaulted during the jump through the warp. Several battle-brothers have been killed secretly. Soon the Company's Librarian has sensed the taint of Chaos amongst his brothers. The arch-enemy must be culled before they reach home....

Roles:

The Emperor’s Children Chaos Space Marine Chapter:

Chaos Sorcerer- Can asks the true role of any player. Keeps the communication for the chaos players open. If he dies then Chaos can only communicate at night

Chaos Champion – The Ruinous Power has blessed the fallen marine with the ability to convert any player to a chaos marine. Coversion power can only be used once

Chaos Marine – Turned to the Ruinous power by the Chaos Champion. If lynched the warp energies he wields go wild and take one random marine with him.

Death Guard Chaos Space Marine Chapter:

Plague Marine – Can infect a loyal or Chaos marine with a virus that incubates for two nights. On the second night the loyal/Chaos marine turns into a plague marine. Each new plague Marine can infect another loyal/chaos marine. This power can only be used once by each new plague marine

Since Chaos Chapters rarely work together the plague marines are not in communication with the Emperor’s Children. The Death Guard can only communicate with each other at night.

The Dark Angels Space Marine Chapter:

Space Marine Librarian – Can detect the taint of Chaos. Can ask the true role of any player.

Space Marine Chaplin – The God-Emperor’s preacher in the Space Marine Chapter. Protector the Chapter’s soul. Can protect any player from conversion or infection.

Space Marine Terminator- Storm Bolter holds one holy shell. Will stop the Chaos Marine from taking another player if shot. Shot must be taken prior to the days lynch vote being final.

Space Marine Apothecaries- Must recover the Gene-Seed of executed or lynched Marines. The Gene -Seed will reveal if sign of chaos is present

6 Fellow Space Marine searching for the Chaos Taint

Order of turn:

Space Marine Librarian: Scan
Chaos Sorcerer Scan
Apothecary recovers gene-seed
Space Marine Chaplin protects
Chaos kills/convert
Plague Marine converts

Additional Rules:

No Post editing
If the Librarian scans and the person is converted after then they will show innocent
Converted specials loses all abilities
Infected Emperor’s Children lose all communication with their former Chapter
Space Marine are never patient, so time limit will be enforced.
1 Day will last 5 real time days
2 Day will last 4 real time days
3 Day & on will last 3 real time days
Concession will be made due to the holiday, but I’m expecting to move the game along
Night time talking allowed

Winning conditions:
Dark Angels win by eliminating the chaos taint
Emperor's Children win by having voting majority ( considering having Death Guard contribute to Emperor's Children majority)
Death Guard win by voting majority or total conversion of Dark Angels & Emperor's Children

Players:

1. Remus West
2. Newcastle
3. Chaos Raven
4. Mr. Bubbles
5. Theohall
6. Lagom Lite
Last edited by tru1cy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Remus West

Re: [WW]Space Marine rule discussion

Post by Remus West »

Commense addiction feeding: IN
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

havent read the rules....but my first INstinct says Its has been a long time since one of these
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

IN
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Count me in. I want to live past the first day this time. I am keeping my eye on Unagi. So help me if he starts a lynch against me, he's in for it!
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr Bubbles wrote:Count me in. I want to live past the first day this time. I am keeping my eye on Unagi. So help me if he starts a lynch against me, he's in for it!
Note to self: Kill Unagi night 1 then blame Bubbles during the day.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

note to self - kill unagi on night 1, then frame the debate that it was actually remus who killed him in attempts to frame Bubbles
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:note to self - kill unagi on night 1, then frame the debate that it was actually remus who killed him in attempts to frame Bubbles
Dude, save that until day 3 when we need to buy you some cover. Day 1 it would be a waste.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Remus West wrote:
Newcastle wrote:note to self - kill unagi on night 1, then frame the debate that it was actually remus who killed him in attempts to frame Bubbles
Dude, save that until day 3 when we need to buy you some cover. Day 1 it would be a waste.
note to self - Remus is always evil. Kill him before he kills you.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Btw would it be too early to work on my threat matrix?
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Remus West wrote:
note to self - Remus is always willing to kill/lynch you. Kill him before he kills you.
At least get it correct. Sheesh. :ninja:
theohall

Post by theohall »

Dr. Jones'in has been callINg.
Lagom Lite

Re: [WW]Space Marine rule discussion & sign up- need 10

Post by Lagom Lite »

Can I be the Plague MarINe?
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Remus West[/accuse 

Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Lagom Lite wrote: Remus West 

Fixed that for you... See it's not that hard to do :wink:
Bertrand Russell
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote: Remus West 

Fixed that for you... See it's not that hard to do :wink:
Thanks. Now, if I could just find a good way to remember it... :P
Is there anyone in hell?

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

tru1cy wrote:...has sensed the taint of Chaos amongst his brothers....
Yeah-- we know the feeling.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

tru1cy wrote: The Emperor’s Children Chaos Space Marine Chapter:

Death Guard Chaos Space Marine Chapter:
Plague Marine – Can infect a loyal or Chaos marine with a virus that incubates for two nights. On the second night the loyal/Chaos marine turns into a plague marine. Each new plague Marine can infect another loyal/chaos marine. This power can only be used once by each new plague marine

Since Chaos Chapters rarely work together the plague marines are not in communication with the Emperor’s Children. The Death Guard can only communicate with each other at night.

Winning conditions:
  • Dark Angels win by eliminating the chaos taint
  • Emperor's Children win by having voting majority ( considering having Death Guard contribute to Emperor's Children majority)
  • Death Guard win by voting majority or total conversion of Dark Angels & Emperor's Children
I'm a bit confused by the victory conditions.

It's basically Dark Angels (Good) versus Chaos (Bad). The Chaos Space Marine group is split into two chapters (Emperor's Children and Death Guard) that do not communicate with one another. The members of each Chaos chapter communicate with one another within their circle, but members of one Chaos chapter do not communicate with members of the other. Death Guard has a secret agenda of converting anyone and everyone regardless of alignment.

Here's the point of confusion: if the "Emperor's Children win by having voting majority (considering having Death Guard contribute...)" to that majority, does that mean that the Emperor's Children know who the starting Death Guard (i.e., the Plague Marine) is, even though they cannot communicate with him? And does he know who they are?

Or do they not know each other, even though they're added together for the purpose of determining whether victory has been achieved?

I guess I'm stumbling over the idea that both chapters of Chaos count toward the victory condition even though they cannot coordinate their votes by communicating and perhaps don't even know about one another. I can imagine a situation as follows:

(a) There are four Dark Angels (good guys).
(b) There are three Chaos (two Emperor's Children and one Plague Marine).
(c) The Children don't know who the Plague Marine is, and the Plague Marine doesn't know who the Children are.
(d) The two Children kill one of the five non-Children and suddenly learn that they have won (since he happened to be a Dark Angel, leaving 3 DAs and 3 Chaos).

I'm not saying that this is wrong or broken. I'm just saying that it's different and odd, and that I'm confused about whether it's what you intend.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

I wantS moar factionZ!11

Grund, I interpreted it like this: the Chaos chapters don't know each other and can't communicate secretly but are added up for determining and triggering a victory condition, much like the Symbiont was considered Crew for triggering the Crew victory condition in Scoops Starship game.

Did I get it right?
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Also, tru1cy, I think it would be interesting if the Chaos victory condition was NOT triggered until a SINGLE chaos chapter reached voting majority (or stalemate, i-e- half of the players are Children OR Death Guard) but the Chaos chapters are NOT lumped together. So:

* 3 Children + 3 Plague Marines + 4 Dark Angels = No win, but:
* 2 Children + 4 Plague Marines + 2 Dark Angels = Chaos Win, and:
* 2 Children + 2 Plague Marines + 1 Dark Angel = No win... yet. :ninja:

Supplemetary rule: If all Dark Angel players are eliminated or converted, Chaos wins.

It might open up... opportunities for deception, and a single skillful good guy could beat a throng of uncoordinated baddies.
Is there anyone in hell?

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Grund:

Lore wise Chaos Chapters rarely work together more often than not they are actively against each other, so I guess it would be best to have each chapter have their own victory conditions to keep it simple

Lagom

Hmm, interesting... I like where you are going with it, but I'm leaning to keeping the victory conditions simple.

Anyway, I would love more discussions.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

tru1cy wrote:Grund:

Lore wise Chaos Chapters rarely work together more often than not they are actively against each other, so I guess it would be best to have each chapter have their own victory conditions to keep it simple

Lagom

Hmm, interesting... I like where you are going with it, but I'm leaning to keeping the victory conditions simple.

Anyway, I would love more discussions.
I love the idea of having three factions as well. But I'd recommend re-evaluating your assumption that such a premise is "simple". ;)
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

To clarify: if it's simplicity you want, you should probably have the Chaos chapters share a single victory condition. So they'd both count for the same victory condition and win together, but the different chapters won't know about each other nor be able to communicate.
Is there anyone in hell?

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Lagom Lite wrote:I wantS moar factionZ!11

Grund, I interpreted it like this: the Chaos chapters don't know each other and can't communicate secretly but are added up for determining and triggering a victory condition, much like the Symbiont was considered Crew for triggering the Crew victory condition in Scoops Starship game.

Did I get it right?
That's how I'm reading it, too, and I'm finding it odd. That's why I wanted tru1cy's confirmation of what he intended.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I like Lagom's suggested revision. But I'd put it this way:

Dark Angels: win if all members of all Chaos factions are eliminated.
Children: win if their number is greater than or equal to (Dark Angels + Plaguers)
Plaguers: win if their number is greater than or equal to (Dark Angels + Children)

Additional rules:

When Children = 0: If all Children are killed but some Plaguers remain, then the remaining Plaguers lose their ability to infect others. (This is really the only way Dark Angel would have a hope of winning).

When Chaos = Dark Angel: If at any time the number of Dark Angels = the number of (Plaguers + Children), then the powers of the Dark Angels falter: if Chaos achieves equilibrium at night, the Terminator loses his ammo permanently, and if Chaos achieves equilibrium by the day kill, then the Librarian and Chaplain's powers fail that night.

This makes it truly a three-faction game, but also retains the idea that Chaos is also (in some way) united against Dark Angel. I hope it's also still simple in the way tru1cy wants.

Thoughts?
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Grund:
Sounds good to me. I'll amend the rules later.

Still need bodies...
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Grundbegriff wrote:Thoughts?
:coffee:

I was thinking... you've prob already thought about this (because you're Spock), but should the Dark Angels maybe get further gimped for balance? Since the Chaos chapters now compete and won't share a common victory condition. The Angels can now out-play one chapter against the other, which boosts them.

I mean, assuming the Kids and the Coughs were balanced to unite against the Angels to begin with.
Is there anyone in hell?

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Lagom Lite wrote:should the Dark Angels maybe get further gimped for balance? Since the Chaos chapters now compete and won't share a common victory condition. The Angels can now out-play one chapter against the other, which boosts them.
They don't know who belongs to Chaos, much less who belongs to this Chaos faction rather than that one.
I mean, assuming the Kids and the Coughs were balanced to unite against the Angels to begin with.
Coughs. Heh.

My impression is that the Dark Angels already have an uphill climb. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Hey, tru1cy. Please count me IN.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Grundbegriff wrote: I'm not saying that this is wrong or broken. I'm just saying that it's different and odd, and that I'm confused about whether it's what you intend.
Looks like Grund threw a curve ball that tru1cy missed.
Bertrand Russell
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Did this die or is tru1cy without power/net because of the snow dump?
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

It shows Feb 2nd as the last time he was logged in.
Bertrand Russell
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Snow dump and work increase. I'll put this on hiatus till spring as work has took a unexpected turn