Stalin's Men (WW-Lite] Russia enters a new Golden Age!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Mr Bubbles

Re: Stalin's Men (WW-Lite] Night 2

Post by Mr Bubbles »

:? Oops. I was sure he was Beria.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Wow, what a stupid vote. Really no idea why two of you did that.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Remus West wrote:Wow, what a stupid vote. Really no idea why two of you did that.
Why was it a stupid vote? I've known many a bad guy provide analysis to throw people off their trail. Ultimately irregardless of his analysis he was either Beria or not. It just turns out this time he wasn't.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Remus West wrote:Wow, what a stupid vote. Really no idea why two of you did that.
Why was it a stupid vote? I've known many a bad guy provide analysis to throw people off their trail. Ultimately irregardless of his analysis he was either Beria or not. It just turns out this time he wasn't.
Well, let us see what someone lying about being the Spy had to gain versus what he had to lose. A lair would be certain that two people could call him on the lie. Beria might not have but the true spy would have nothing to lose by calling him on it. So his gain, if not called, would be being considered below our need to kill during the day. He risk was on being called out and thus lynched right away or being killed in the night as Beria would know he wasn't the true spy AND would thus know he (the liar) had felt he had enough to lose that he was forced to risk the lie to stay alive - thus needed to be killed. In other words, a player lying about being the spy was only making certain he got himself killed either right away due to a counter claim or certainly during the night.

You knuckleheads figured to rush a vote right through without waiting for input from the rest of the group though, thus killing him off before we could learn anything. Go ahead and make the days fast though as I can not win at this point so I could care less. Only you might want to stop and think about who gains the most from these fast days.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

5. Nikita
3. Molotov
4. Beria
2. Trotsky

Still alive at current. Molotov, Beria, and Trotsky all voted for the Spy. Which suggest the number change above is accurate as otherwise Trosky would have been better off trying to kill Beria (I think he was regardless but having the #2 slot may have made him want to push the game quickly). I would assume that Molotov knows the entire board since all it would take is to have scanned either one of the other remaining unknowns. Beria gets another kill tonight, but should he take it?

Tomorrow with 4 left we lynch to three then he gets a night kill at whomever he suspects is above him in the tree. If I'm still alive it is easy for him as he just kills the other guy - assuming Beria himself makes it to the next night alive.

Tomorrow with 3 we lynch down to two. He is taking his chances that we kill his opponent rather than him.

If Beria is smart we all live through the night. I suspect one of us will die. Newcastle likely knows better than I do though.
Lagom Lite

Re: Stalin's Men (WW-Lite] Day 3

Post by Lagom Lite »

Early next morning, the man posing as Malenkov was wandering down the main hall. So far no one suspected his true identity. He pondered his next move. Stalin was dead and his killer executed. How would he go about unseating Khrushchev? Would he simply kill him and announce his return to power? Would he use his talents of disguise to instead pose as the sycophant?

He needed allies at any rate. The only one who had always been faithful to him was Vyacheslav Molotov, and Molotov hated Nikita. A small chat with the man couldn’t hurt. Trotsky approached Molotov’s quarters and tapped lightly on the door. No one answered. He opened it.

”Vyacheslav? Sorry to disturb you, Comrade, but…”
He stopped mid-sentence as his jaw dropped. The Russian spy master was hanging from the ceiling. On the desk lay a used syringe.

Spoiler:
Molotov was killed in the night!

Newcastle was Molotov.

Day 3

Remaining Players:

1. Scoop20906 – Stalin – DEAD (poisoned)
2. theohall
3. Newcastle – Molotov – DEAD (poisoned)
4. Mr Bubbles
5. Chaosraven – American Spy – DEAD (shot)
6. Remus West – Nikita

Members of the Politbureau, how will you proceed?
Legal votes include voting for (Player name) or voting to Pass within   tags.
Majority is 2

But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Is it just me or does it feel like we're at a Mexican Standoff.
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr Bubbles wrote:Is it just me or does it feel like we're at a Mexican Standoff.
I believe you said something about "owning" me. Given that I can not win...I see no stand off at all.
 Mr Bubbles 

:P
theohall

Post by theohall »

It is up to Remus Kruschev. I know your role, Mr Bubbles. You know mine. It is a matter of convincing Nikita West which one of us is Beria and which one is Trotsky. Here are the problems:

Trotsky probably switched roles, so, if Remus accuses Beria, Trotsky wins.
If Remus accuses Trotsky, Beria kills Remus at night and Beria wins.
Killing Remus gives the game to Beria, since Beria would kill Trotsky at night.
So it's down to which one of us does Remus want to let live, since he cannot win.

Mr Bubbles 

After Beria and Bubbles both start with a B, while Trotsky and theohall both start with a T. :)
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Remus West wrote:
Mr Bubbles wrote:Is it just me or does it feel like we're at a Mexican Standoff.
I believe you said something about "owning" me. Given that I can not win...I see no stand off at all.
 Mr Bubbles 

:P
I'm shocked Remus.. Shocked I tell you... Who'd of thunk that Remus would vote my way... :lol:
 Remus West 

Bertrand Russell
theohall

Post by theohall »

Looks like I was one minute to slow getting the post up. Good!

Good Night, Bubbles Beria!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

theohall wrote:After Beria and Bubbles both start with a B, while Trotsky and theohall both start with a T. :)
Guess I should have been a bit more pateint as I would happily have ended Trotsky and handed the game to Beria. I assume votes are locked after reaching majority but just in case....
 Theohall 

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

:binky: :pop: :binky:
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see anywhere in the rules that said once a majority vote is reached it is binding :)
Bertrand Russell
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

That reminds me lol....  theohall 

Bertrand Russell
theohall

Post by theohall »

You bastards!!! Should've just kept my mouth shut.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

theohall wrote:You bastards!!! Should've just kept my mouth shut.
Seems you forgot:
The Rules wrote:Nikita Prestige Victory: Nikita has always has an intense rivalry with Trotsky, seeing him as the only real contender to the throne. If Trotsky is eliminated, Nikita earns 1 point.
Much as I would love to off Bubbles I'm afraid that gaining a Prestige point and thus not coming in dead last take precedence. I'll still come in "dead" last due to Beria tonight but I won't be the biggest loser in the game. Those who failed to gain any points reserve that honor. :twisted:

Unless, of course, the vote was binding. :lol:
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Funny this part is the hardest. I'm more nervous than that time I planned to go on top of the girls gym roof and peek in.
Bertrand Russell
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Are you quite done? :)

It's true I didn't specify whether votes were locked once majority is reached, so I'm going to give you a few more hours before calling it. :pop:
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Theohall 

Final answer. Now quit stalling, Mod. :lol:
theohall

Post by theohall »

Stall all you want, Mod. Maybe Mr Bubbles could change his mind and not give Remus any points either.

Remus Kruschev 

Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

:pop:
Bertrand Russell
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

He had killed them all. Stalin was the first to go, then Molotov. Nikita had exposed and killed Trotsky before succumbing to the slow poison introduced in his veins several days before Stalin’s death. Not even Molotov, while sly enough to expose the American Spy, could stop him.

As he waved to the people below, he couldn’t help thinking what ants they were. Worker ants, all his to use as he saw fit. A new era was born. A newer, safer, time.

Spoiler:
Lavrentiy Beria seizes control of the Soviet Union!

Lavrentiy Beria was the only Russian left alive.

Nikita exposed and killed Trotsky.

Molotov exposed and killed the American Spy.

Final Score

1. Mr Bubbles – Beria. 2 points. New leader of the Soviet Union.
2. Remus West – Nikita. 1 point. Poisoned by Beria on Night 3.
3. Newcastle – Molotov. 1 point. Poisoned by Beria on Night 2.
4. theohall – Trotsky. 0 points. Shot by Nikita on Day 3.
5. Chaosraven – American Spy. 0 points. Shot by Molotov on Day 2.
6. Scoop20906 – Stalin. 0 points. Poisoned by Beria on Night 1.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Thanks for playing!

Some general observations:

* Moderating is hella fun.

* Not to diminish Mr Bubbles’ excellent performance in any way but I think Beria is a bit OP. He needs a natural enemy of some kind, and I think giving someone a counter-Beria-ability is a good idea (such as nightly kill immunity).

* As Remus pointed out, I don’t know if revealing true roles upon death was appropriate. Without it, however, everyone but Molotov would constantly be in the dark. But that might not be a bad thing… maybe I could reveal nationality only (Russian/American) or only reveal true role for daily lynches but not for nightly kills, or the other way around… What do you think?

* The American Spy needs some further reason to not self-out (not that Chaosraven wasn’t soundly beaten down when he stepped forward!). Maybe Beria should need to kill the Spy as well for his prestige victory to trigger.

* I thought the Prestige Victories were pretty interesting in themselves. It allowed for some nice synergies and dynamics between roles as well as generating player paranoia.

* If I were to mod something like this again, I should try to include some sort of faction thinking after all, allowing people to ”win together” to a higher degree. The kind-of-sort-of-cooperation-synergy between Stalin and Nikita for example. I felt the players in this game ”held back” and avoided posting because there were no one they could trust.

Now head on over to tru1cy’s Space Marine game and sign up if you haven’t already: http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/v ... 16&t=71934 or you’ll be sent to Gulag!!!
Is there anyone in hell?

Mr Bubbles

Re: Stalin's Men (WW-Lite] Day 1

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Scoop20906 wrote:Actually, it was a pretty enlightening day for me. :D
It was for me too :twisted:
Bertrand Russell
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

:P :lol:
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

i thought it was a lot of fun actually and really enjoyed it. I would love to play another version of this at some point in the future.

I really like the prestige aspect of it. I think that added a nice bit of spice.

As for learning roles, it honestly didn't help me much. Granted Scoop died that night, and i died on night 2. I had the basic bit of info that i needed from the get go...that was CR's identity.

I think Beria does need a counter of some sort. Either someone who can protect or someone who is on to him and can take him out, if that person is protected....ie berria attacks Stalin, but Lenin is protecting Stalin. Lenin kills Beria due to a succesful protect.

I think the quiet nature is that there were only about 6 peopel playing. Not a lot. Perhaps you are right in the fact that there should be something thta people can agree together to stimulate more conversation.
Bayraktar!!!!

Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Beria is most definitely overpowered. I think it looked slightly easier because I got the exact kills I wanted, but yeah there should be a counter to Beria. A thought I'd have would be that the spy could be observing a particular player on any given night. If Beria comes to kill the spy's target he will protect them and kill Beria.
Bertrand Russell
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Remus West wrote:
I love it how you kept whining that you couldn't win after Scoop died and still managed to survive to the very end and snag a Prestige victory... :lol:
Is there anyone in hell?

Scoop20906

Re: Stalin's Men (WW-Lite] Russia enters a new Golden Age!

Post by Scoop20906 »

Just a thought, I also think you need another way for the game to end other than everyone dying. Or give Stalin someway to protect himself. I really just felt like a wooden duck on a firing line. My only defense was to go into no post mode which hurts the game. Just a thought.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Remus West wrote:
I love it how you kept whining that you couldn't win after Scoop died and still managed to survive to the very end and snag a Prestige victory... :lol:
I could not win and did not. I snagged a prestige point not a victory. Big difference in my mind.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Scoop20906 wrote:Just a thought, I also think you need another way for the game to end other than everyone dying. Or give Stalin someway to protect himself. I really just felt like a wooden duck on a firing line. My only defense was to go into no post mode which hurts the game. Just a thought.

i asctually kind of agree w/ that scoop. Though you could have been a bit more active and still not given yoruself away. I was at times thinking of tryin to spoof CR's role if i got in a bind. I do think stalin needs a bit more gloss though.

But, since you do start at #1, you are in a prime position. All you have to do is survive and you can win.
Bayraktar!!!!

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Scoop20906 wrote:Just a thought, I also think you need another way for the game to end other than everyone dying. Or give Stalin someway to protect himself. I really just felt like a wooden duck on a firing line. My only defense was to go into no post mode which hurts the game. Just a thought.
I think maybe Stalin needed a prestige victory of some kind other than "just win". Maybe something to do with sowing distrust and spite between players... But consider Stalin has a pretty strong position - all he has to do is convince everyone he's not Stalin and he wins the game. Regarding alternate endings, I could include a vote to End rather than Pass which would instantly end the game, and include victory condition(s) for some players that would benefit from that (maybe you should earn points for being alive after the game ends).
Remus West wrote:I could not win and did not. I snagged a prestige point not a victory. Big difference in my mind.
Yep. Nikita was the only role that could be conclusively outed while alive - that happened to you on Day 1 no less. Perhaps Nikita should be immune to night kills rather than day kills while Stalin is alive, that wouldn't out him (except to Beria ofc).
Is there anyone in hell?