Re: Runewars Boardgame Gameplay

Post by Turtle »

Fall Tactics or Influence Choices:
Jow chooses 2 influence
docD chooses 2 influence
Zurai chooses 1 tactics card
Scoop chooses 2 influence
Lagom chooses 2 influence

Now I'll need your orders for Fall. Be advised, Winter is Coming...

Which basically means you don't want to have more units in a space than the number on your food dial or you'll have to destroy them.
Jow

Post by Jow »

BTW: since Turtle hasn't sent out the actual tactics cards yet, I changed my mind and am snagging 2 influence for the Fall event instead.

Otherwise:
Spoiler:
I kinda hosed myself a bit by leaving the city I previously had control of, but the other part of my plan worked, specifically that one little bowman down to grab the extra ore - I'm playing Acquire Power (order #7) this turn and am pulling down 3 influence from it (most you can ever pull is 5). For the supremacy bonus I'm going to put 3 influence down on the Primarch of the Wizard's Council title card... here it is, from Turtle's spoilers:

Primarch of the Wizards' Council
Easier to gain Dragon Runes in influence bids
You decide the winner of all influence bid ties.

Gain 1 influence each time a Wizard's Council Season card is drawn.

DocD is the only other player with more influence than I have (12 to 10 by the end of this next turn, I estimate). However, he's already played his Acquire Power order this turn so there's no way he can fight me for that title currently. Given how far everyone else is behind on influence, 4 is a pretty big number and I don't expect anyone to go for it either.

Otherwise, I have no idea how often Wizard's Council cards are drawn... but 3 draws pays for the title outright, so let's hope.

So, in all probability, Doc is stocking up for what's probably going to be a rune bid in Winter. I'm prepared to let him have it, but I'm going to bid 4, maybe 5 and see if the title wins me it on a tie. :)
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Year 1, Fall Turn Order
1. Lagom 1-Strategize
2. docD 2-Mobilize
3. Scoop 5-Recruit
4. Zurai 5-Recruit
5. Jow 7-Acquire Power

Turn 1: Daqan Lords (Lagom)
Lagom moves a knight and bowman from area 6B to 6C.

It is now docD's turn.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Lurker update:
Spoiler:
My new Tactics card is potentially really nice. "Favor of the Spies' Guild". It lets me and one opponent of my choice return an Order card we've already used to our hand. The best part is, unlike my other Tactic card, it does not have to be played during my turn. It's played before picking a seasonal Order card. That means it's a bit better of a diplomatic card than my other one.

This potentially has huge implications for my strategic flexibility for one year. Not only does it let me play one Order twice in a year if I want, it also could be used to get a Supremacy bonus when I normally wouldn't be able to (for example, if I Fortify in Spring, I get no Supremacy bonuses for the entire year, normally. If, on the other hand, I Fortify in Spring, then play Favor of the Spies' Guild in Summer, I can get Supremacy bonuses during the year AND, if I want to, play Fortify later in the year again!). I'm sure Lagom will be happy to take advantage of it as well.
docD

Post by docD »

For those of you reading along:
Spoiler:
Moving along with my plan, I'm trying to recruit the Dragon in 8C2. It will be very nice if I'm able to, if not as long as I am able the dragon to force a retreat I'll be happy. I'm really interested in taking control of that hex more than the dragon right now. I'm really hurting for ore, right now. Once I have control of that hex I'll be in position to start collecting some dragon runes. Both of my quests are doable next summer, and then I can complete my objective to gain some dragon runes.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

(in the future, I'll try to make sure there's a post on each page that has the current player stats.)

Turn 2: Waiqar the Undying (docD) 2-Mobilize
docD activates location 8C2 and moves a Skeletal Archer from 8D2 in. He then attempts diplomacy with the dragon there, spending 4 influence.

Diplomacy Fate Draw: Neutral, Neutral, Neutral, and Success!
docD successfully allies with the Dragon in 8D2.

Turn 3: Uthuk Y'llan (Scoop) 5-Recruit
Scoop recruits using his Food and Ore dials, placing 4 Berserkers, 1 Flesh Ripper, and 1 Chaos Lord at UA.

Turn 4: Latari Elves (Zurai) 5-Recruit
Zurai recruits from both Food and Ore, placing 2 Warrios, 1 Sorceress, and 1 Pegasus rider in LB.

Turn 5: Jowatal Elves (Jow) 7-Acquire Power
Jow receives 3 influence from his resource dials. Then, using the Supremacy Bonus, he spends 3 influence to obtain the Primarch of the Wizards' Council title card.

Year 1, Winter

Enlarge Image
Y1S4T4

ImageWaiqar the Undying (docD)
Spoiler:
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Alignment: Evil

Image/2

Used Orders: 1-Strategize, 2-Mobilize, 5-Recruit, 7-Acquire Power
Quest Cards: 2
Objective Cards: 1-Evil

Heroes:
Red Scorpion
Icon: 1
Health: 3/4
Training: +1 Str
Rewards: 1 Hidden
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
ImageLatari Elves (Zurai)
Spoiler:
Alignment: Good

Image/4

Used Orders: 2-Strategize, 4-Harvest, 5-Recruit, 6-Rally Support
Objective Cards: 1-Good

Heroes:
Runewitch Astarra
Health: 3/3
Training:

Ronan of the Wild
Training: none
Rewards: none

ImageJowatal Elves (Jow)
Spoiler:

Image/4

Titles:
Primarch of the Wizards' Council (3 Influence)

Heroes:
One Fist
Health: 4
Training: +2 Str
Reward cards: none

Bogran the Shadow
Icon: 2
Health: 3
Reward Cards: none
ImageUthuk Y'llan (Scoop)
Spoiler:

Image/1

Used Orders: 1-Strategize, 2-Mobilize, 3-Conquer, 5-Recruit

Heroes:
Mad Carthos
ImageDaqan Lords (Lagom)
Spoiler:

Image/3

Used Orders: 1-Strategize, 2-Mobilize, 5-Recruit
Title Cards: Captain of the Heroes League (1)

Heroes:
Sir Valadir
Winter Season Card: Dragon Rune Discovery
Wizard's Council Card (Jow receives 1 influence due to his Title card)
Perform an influence bid. The highest bidder receives 1 dragon rune.

Secondary Ability: All players who have models in areas excess of their food dial value must destroy models in those areas down to the food dial. Water borders are passable during this season.

All players must PM me with their bid. Players may also pre-set their orders for winter in the same PM, but this is not in any way required.
Last edited by Turtle on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jow

Post by Jow »

hey turtle, the image for the number of influence tokens I have currently isn't displaying properly... I have a count but want to make sure we have the same figure... could you repost? thanks.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Fixed, by my count you should have 7, I might have missed something though.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Just waiting on Jow and docD's influence bids.
docD

Post by docD »

Turtle wrote:Just waiting on Jow and docD's influence bids.
Sorry I've been ill the past few days. I'll play Pulling the Strings - Play before bidding on an influence bid. You do not need to decide how much influence to bid until other players have revealed their bids.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Dragon Rune Discovery Influence Bid
Zurai 0
Scoop 0
Lagom 0
Jow 3

docD must now decide how much influence he wants to bid due to his tactics card.
docD

Post by docD »

I will bid 4 influence.
Jow

Post by Jow »

You're welcome for the rune, Doc. Remember this next winter. :)
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

docD bids 4 influence on the Dragon Rune discovery and wins the bid. He receives 1 dragon rune and 1 false rune and must PM me with their locations. Please make sure to reference the dragon rune placement rules on page 30 of the rulebook. In general, you may only place new runes in friendly or uncontrolled areas.

(In general, you can place the false rune to help you in different ways, either by putting it in your territory to confuse incoming armies, or another more aggressive way to use them is to deliberately place false runes in areas close to your opponent's home areas, this fills up those areas and can force that player to put real dragon runes farther towards the front.)

Now waiting on Zurai, Jow, and docD's Winter Orders.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

docD, upon receiving a dragon rune and false rune, removes a rune from WA, places a rune token there, and another rune token at 6A.

Winter Turn 1: Uthuk Y'llan (Scoop) 3-Conquer
Activates 2B2 and moves 4 Berserkers and 1 Chaos Lord from UA to 2B2, then immediately battles the 2 sorcerers there.
Sorcerers in 2B2 are routed, and thus cannot battle nor retreat and are destroyed.

Winter Turn 2: Jowatal Elves (Jow) 5-Recruit
Recruits using the food dial, placing 3 archers at his stronghold in JB.

Winter Turn 3: Waiqar the Undying (docD) 5-Recruit
Recruits from his food dial, placing 3 reanimates at his stronghold in WA.

Winter Turn 4: Latari Elves (Zurai) 6-Rally Support
Chooses to receive 2 influence from the city he controls in 1C. Then, using the Supremacy Ability, spends 1 influence to draw 1 Hero card, gaining Ronan the Wild.

Lagom, there is an error in your order. Please PM back to me with the corrected order.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Winter Turn 5: Daqan Lords (Lagom) 7-Acquire Power
Lagom gains 3 influence, then using the supremacy ability spends 1 influence to obtain the Captain of the Heroes League Title.

Will process the next season tomorrow.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Year 2, Spring
Enlarge Image
Y2S1T0

Spring Season Card: Heroes for Hire
Perform an influence bid. The highest bidder may draw the top 2 cards of the hero deck and choose 1 to keep. Shuffle the other card back into the hero deck.
Secondary Ability: Retreive all Activation Tokens. Retreive all used Order cards. Stand up all routed units.

ImageWaiqar the Undying (docD)
Spoiler:

Image/2

Title Cards:

Heroes:
Red Scorpion
Health: 3/4
Training: +1 Str
ImageLatari Elves (Zurai)
Spoiler:

Image/4

Used Orders: 2-Strategize, 4-Harvest, 5-Recruit, 6-Rally Support
Title Cards:

Heroes:
Runewitch Astarra
Training:

Ronan of the Wild
Rewards: none

ImageJowatal Elves (Jow)
Spoiler:

Image/4

Titles: Primarch of the Wizards' Council (3 Influence)

Heroes:
One Fist
Training: +2 Str
Reward cards: none

Bogran the Shadow
Icon: 2
Health: 3
ImageUthuk Y'llan (Scoop)
Spoiler:

Image/1

Used Orders: 1-Strategize, 2-Mobilize, 3-Conquer, 5-Recruit
Title Cards:

Heroes:
Mad Carthos
ImageDaqan Lords (Lagom)
Spoiler:

Image/3

Used Orders: 1-Strategize, 2-Mobilize, 5-Recruit
Title Cards: Captain of the Heroes League (1)

Heroes:
Sir Valadir
Pending:
All players must PM me their influence bid and order card for this season.

(I'm changing the design a bit based on feedback from another forum game GM, but it won't take long this time, basically making it so all public info is represented on the board, making it easier for me to manage without clicking through 3 different text files.)
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Are there supposed to be duplicate Season cards? Heroes for Hire was our Y1 Spring card.

EDIT: Also, what's Ronan's special ability and stats?

EDIT2: Nevermind, didn't see you updated the first page with all the hero stats.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yes, there's multiples of certain season cards. It just happened that the two came up one after another.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

OK, cool. Just wanted to be sure before I sent in any bids and orders :)
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

A messenger rides under flag of truce from the lands of the Latari into Lord Lagom's advance army camp.

"Lord Lagom of the Daqar Lords, I am instructed to bring you this message from His Royal Highness, King Zurai: 'We wish to inform our allies that the Great Dragon Simurgh, who has joined his strength to ours, has claimed the Great Forest in the center of the land as his lair, and as part of our treaty with him we will be assisting in his conquest of the area. We recommend that your soldiers be well clear before he lands, as he will be hungry and he has no treaty with you. We tell you this so that any unfortunate incidents can be avoided and our alliance can continue to be strong in the face of the evils in the West.'"

(OOC translation: I'm going to take 2C1, one way or the other. I'd rather not have to fight you over it ;) Shouldn't be a major hardship for you, anyway, as you already have access to plenty of wood and 2B1 gives you better access to the rest of the map)

For lurkers:
Spoiler:
I'm playing Mobilize this turn, doing my best to repeat the success from my previous Spring. I'm going to just duke it out with the Sorcerers at 4B, then fly my lone Pegasus Rider to 2C1 and do a two-card Diplomacy with the Hellhound. There's a roughly 60% chance that I'll get at least one neutral or success, either of which will win me the tile. I don't really care about the Hellhound, but 2C1 is vital to my long-term plans.

If I am forced to retreat from 2C1, I can play my Warrior Guild tactic card to try again in Summer with the Dragon and Sorceress from 4A.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

2C1 is all yours, I have no plans on expanding southwards at all.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Jow

Post by Jow »

it's getting claustrophobic.
Spoiler:
My big goal this year is clearing out 8A2, which will max my wood track. With all that wood, then, I've got the ability to start dropping developments nearly indiscriminately... but I have to get more strongholds first. There's a lot I need to think about though.

My plan for Spring is Strategize, moving my newly recruited archers and the warrior and sorceress into 5B to lock down the city again and give me a couple more tactics cards (I'm down to one). I really want to follow up in summer with a Mobilize into 8A2 to clean that out, but that leaves me with a possibility of 5 units having to remain there for the rest of the year. With food at 3, that means unless we get a lucky harvest in Fall again I'll have to kill 2 units off... unless I lose archers in battle.

Another possible dilemma is that I notice our red player has access to 5D, which he could likely take without much of a struggle. Good thing is, his ore track is almost maxed and gaining an extra ore provides him no benefit... so 5D isn't likely to be much of a target.

I'm sticking with that plan, then. I suspect our purple player and I are both greedily eyeing 8B2, and the sooner I can get myself fortified with a stronghold in place in 8A2 the sooner I'll be prepared to make the move to 8B2. Assuming spring and summer go as planned, I've got a few ways I can go for Fall and Winter and I'll figure those out then.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

New Board

Enlarge Image

It's a bit of a mess, but now includes all the public info in it. I'll be cleaning it up over time, reorganizing stuff. I turned off anti-aliasing to lower the file size as well, so you'll notice lots of jaggies. If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Still need bids from:
Waiqar the Undying (docD)
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I already sent my bid, but I'll re-send it just to be sure.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

You caught me in the middle of editing, I still have yours. I post things and edit them as a way of "saving" big posts while working on them.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Ah, OK. Well, now you have two copies of my bid! :P
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Heroes for Hire Influence Bid
Lagom 1
Jow 0
Scoop 0
Zurai 0
docD 0

Lagom receives 2 hero cards and must choose 1 to keep.

I now need the orders from Uthuk Y'llan (Scoop) and Waiqar the Undying (docD) as well as any changes to current pre-set orders.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Year 2, Spring Turn Order
Jow 1-Strategize (4 Influence)
Scoop 1-Strategize (3 Influence)
Lagom 2-Mobilize (4 Influence)
Zurai 2-Mobilize (2 Influence, 4 Starting)
docD 2-Mobilize (2 Influence, 2 Starting)

Turn 1: Jowatal Elves (Jow) 1-Strategize
Moves all Archers from JB to 5B, then the Warrior and Sorceress from 5A to 5B.
Supremacy Bonus: Gains 2 tactics cards

Turn 2: Uthuk Y'llan (Scoop) 1-Strategize
Flesh Ripper from RA to 3B. Flesh ripper from UA to 3B. Chaos Lord and Warlock from 3A to 2B2. One Berserker from 2B2 to 3A. Chaos Lord from 2B2 to 2A2.
Supremacy Bonus: Gains 2 tactics cards
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Turn 3: Daqan Lords (Lagom)
Activates 7B and moves 1 Footman from 7A into it.
Supremacy Bonus: Activates 8A1. Moving in 1 Knight and 1 Bowman from 7A, and 1 Knight from 6C.
Attempts Diplomacy with 2 Influence.
Fate Draw Result: Failure, Failure
Chooses to Battle!

Battle in 8A1! 2 Knights and a Bowman vs. 2 Hellhounds
Initiative 1 Fate Draw:
Bowman misses.

Initiative 2 Fate Draw:
Knight 1 does 2 damage, killing Hellhound 1!
Knight 2 uses Command, routing Hellhound 2 and drawing a tactics card.

Lagom wins the battle!
Jow must choose where the Hellhound from 8A1 retreats.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Turn 4: Latari Elves (Zurai) 2-Mobilize
Activates 4B, moving in a Sorceress and 2 Warriors from LB, and an Archer from 1C.

Battle in 4B! 1 Sorcess, 2 Warrios, and 1 Archer vs. 3 Sorcerers
Initiative 1 Fate Draw:
Archer misses.
Sorcerer 1 casts Undying. Each Sorcerer has 2 health until the end of the battle.
Sorcerer 2 misses.
Sorcerer 3 casts Undying, but it is already in effect.

Initiative 3 Fate Draw:
Sorceress misses.

Initiative 4 Fate Draw:
Warrior 1 misses.
Warrior 2 causes 1 damage to Sorcerer 1.

Zurai wins the battle!
The 3 Sorcerers retreat to 2C1 (the only valid location).

Supremacy Bonus: Activates 2C1, moving in 1 Pegasus Rider from LB and attempting Diplomacy with 2 Influence.
Diplomacy Fate Draw: Failure, Failure
The Pegasus Rider is forced to retreat back to 4B.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Turn 5: Waiqar the Undying (docD) 2-Mobilize
Activates 8B2 and moves in 1 Dragon from 8C2, 2 Reanimates and 1 Necromancer from 9B.

Battle in 8B2! 1 Dragon, 2 Reanimates, 1 Necromancer vs. 2 Sorcerers
Initiative 1 Fate Draws:
Sorcerer 1 deals 1 damage!
Sorcerer 2 casts Undying! All sorcerers have 2 health until the end of the battle.

1 Damage assigned to Dragon (best course of action since there are no further units, and all unit damage is reset at the end of battle).

Initiative 2 Fate Draws:
Necromancer misses.

Initiative 4 Fate Draws:
Reanimate 1 uses Overrun, dealing 2 damage to Sorcerer 1 and destroying it.
Reanimate 2 misses.

docD wins the battle!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Current Map:
Enlarge Image

Pending:
Jow must choose where the Hellhound from 8A1 retreats.
Scoop must choose where the remaining Sorcerer in 8B2 retreats.
Jow

Post by Jow »

retreat that hellhound into 8B1, please.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Bah, woulda been nice to get 4 neutral units with one move. Now they'll have to suffer the hard way. Once I can re-activate that tile, anyway.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Retreat Sorcerer in 8B2 to 9B.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Year 2, Summer
Enlarge Image
Y2S2T0

Summer Season Card: Reroute Supply Caravans
Wizards' Council
Perform an influence bid. All players except the highest bidder lose 1 of each resource type.

Jow gains an influence from his title card.

All players must PM me with their influence bids for the season card.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

... I don't like Summer any more.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Feeling the heat?

That season card tends to hurt Elves more since they start low on food. Makes them use up a season just Harvesting to make sure they don't lose everything come winter.

The good news is that you can wait and see what the Fall season card is before choosing an order, just to see if it gives you one of the free harvests. But, since there's only 2 bountiful harvests in the season deck, I wouldn't count on it.

Fixed a few errors. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Turtle wrote: But, since there's only 2 bountiful harvests in the season deck, I wouldn't count on it.
... and one of those has already been used up. 1/7 ~= 14% chance for the second to show this Fall.

S'OK, it doesn't really hurt my master plan all that much. I hope.