Persistent Spoiler Forum

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

stessier

Persistent Spoiler Forum

Post by stessier »

I meant to post this before Scoop's game and then forgot about it.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a persistent spoiler forum. For me the biggest hurdle had always been getting it setup so that Good Guys and Bad Guys could be on it at the same time without seeing each other. I finally figured out how to get the permissions right on freeforums.org and set one up.

It is ooww.freeforums.org

I thought we could have one Master login that the Mod of each game could use and change the password for. Right now I think (Hey, it's been like a month since I've thought about it!) the login is

Mod Login: PuppetMaster
Password: ???

When I gave it to Scoop, I had the password as octopus. I suggest that at the end of each game, we change it back to "octopus" so it is ready for whoever wants to pick up the next game.

The way the permissions are set up, everyone should sign up on that board under their OO name. Then the Mod with put them in the appropriate permission group for the game they are playing.

I wrote up a walk through that I think covers everything to set up a game.
Spoiler:
When I set up the boards, I guessed at the groups and forums you might need and stuck in generic types. I also put in generic groups that we should be able to use in all games, but feel free to make anything specific you need. :) Right now you have
  1. Forums
    • Evil
    • Spoiler
    • Non Spoiler
  2. Groups
    • Binky-Unspoiled
    • Binky-Spoiled
    • Evil
    • Good
    • Registered
    • Guests
Registered is the group people go in when they sign up (like you right now). I have it set so they can't see anything.

Guests is the group for people who don't register. They too get to see nothing.

Good is my idea for Masons. Right now anyone in the group could see the main title forum, but none of the Subforums - so basically nothing.

Evil is for the Bad Guys. They can see the Bad forum only.

Binky-Spoiled is for spoiled :binky:. They have full access to all forums.

Binky-Unspoiled is for unspoiled :binky:. They have full access only to Non-Spoiler forum.

My suggestion is to have everyone go to the board and sign up before the game starts, then you can make sure they are all in the Registered group only and that no one can see anything. Then move people into the groups you want as you hand out roles.

Login: PuppetMaster
password: octopus
  1. After logging in, go to the Admin Control Panel (click the link at the very bottom of the page). You will have to log in again to access the Panel.
  2. Once in the Panel, verify you are in the Advanced Admin Panel (look at the top right of the screen under the four colored squares).
  3. Create a new group, go to the Users/Groups tab
    1. Under the Quick Access title on the left of the screen, click on Manage Groups.
    2. Click Create Group - this takes you to a new screen
    3. First line - Group name - name your group!
    4. Third line - Group type - set radio button to hidden
    5. Fourth line - Group permissions - if you know a group you want to copy, do that, otherwise don't copy and we'll set later
    6. 10th line - Group color - choose a color for the group name - makes it easier to manage on the Groups tab, but not strictly necessary
    7. Click on submit. You can play with the other settings, but they aren't necessary for the group.
  4. Set a Groups Forum Permissions
    1. Click on Forums Tab
    2. Under Forum Based Permissions on right side of page, click on Group's Forum Permissions
    3. Choose the group you want to set in the drop down box and hit submit
    4. Under Select a Forum, click the box that says "All Forums" and hit submit
    5. Choose the access for each forum. I suggest using only No Access of Full Access. Any group with No Role Assigned gets to see forums, so make sure none say that (all the groups that currently exist do no say that. I even took away Bot access.)
    6. Hit Apply All Permissions and you're done!
  5. Move a person into a group
    1. Click on the Users/Groups tab
    2. Under the Groups heading on the right hand side, click Manage Groups
    3. Choose the People Icon next to the group where the member currently resides
    4. Check the box next to the member you want to move
    5. In the drop down box, click Remove Member from this group
    6. Confirm Action
    7. Click on Manage Groups again (Under Group heading on right hand side of page)
    8. Click People Icon next to the group where you want to add the member
    9. Under Add Users (half way down page), click Find a Member (easier than trying to remember how everyone spells their name - also can add multiple people at once) - a new window will open
    10. Check the boxes next to the members you want to add and click Select Marked - window will close
    11. Click Submit
      I strongly suggest you check what a person can see before turning them loose on the board. :)
  6. Checking a Users Permissions/Views
    1. Click Users/Groups tab
    2. Under Users heading on left hand side, click Manage Users
    3. Click Find Member
    4. Select Member
    5. Submit
    6. Under Overview, the first line is their username. Under the name, click Test User's Permissions. This lets you see the board as they see it.
    7. When you are done looking around, on the line that says Users Control Panel, New Messages, View Posts - the last option is Restore Permissions. Click Restore Permissions to return to the PuppetMaster Permissions. You'll probably have to relogin to the Admin Control Panel if you want to make further changes.
I have to run to a meeting. I think I covered anything. Let me know what I missed. I'll also sign up as stessier so you can move my account around (or you could move scoop20906 around) to see how things work.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Let me know what you guys think.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Re: Persistent Spoiler Forum

Post by Lassr »

I tried this at one time but the forum was uncooperative. Sounds like it can be done now. It sure beats the continuous creation of new forums.

OO WW games are going green...no more wasted web space.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

one thing I could never figure out when I tried:

At the bottom of the home page it shows the latest member to sign up. Can you hide that info?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lassr wrote:one thing I could never figure out when I tried:

At the bottom of the home page it shows the latest member to sign up. Can you hide that info?
No, but with a persistent forum, it's not an issue. You only sign up once. Actually, after the end of LoTR, I suggest we all sign up so that the accounts are there for the Mod to put where he needs them.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

thanks a ton stessier this should help out immensely and is a nicely added touch.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote: I suggest we all sign up so that the accounts are there for the Mod to put where he needs them.
that would solve that problem.

Black Lives Matter
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Awesome idea. Thanks stessier!
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

that and when someone new joins a game have the sign up at the beginning of the game so that everyone knows that is why they are the newest person on the forum.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Good idea. Too bad we didn't conflate the various freeforum forums long ago.
stessier

Post by stessier »

So this forum still exists, but I don't know who last had the password. Was it Lagom?

PuppetMaster + octopus is not working. This, of course, was always the unspoken fear. :(

Edit: So I signed up and the last time PuppetMaster signed in was July 21. Don't know what game that was though.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

stessier wrote:So this forum still exists, but I don't know who last had the password. Was it Lagom?

PuppetMaster + octopus is not working. This, of course, was always the unspoken fear. :(

Edit: So I signed up and the last time PuppetMaster signed in was July 21. Don't know what game that was though.
It might have been me, though July 21st seems quite late. Unfortunately, I can't log in with my temp password either and I'm pretty sure I changed the password back. I gave the keys to Grund a while ago for the LOST game. Did he change the password mayhaps?
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I think I have the key. What would you like me to do, stessier?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier: I've changed the PuppetMaster email address to yours, so you can reset the password and assume your imperial reign. :)
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

who's got the keys to the forum? Kind of want to be in charge of it so that i can prepare it for Bond 2 which is looming on the horizon.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Look under the mat. They usually leave a copy there.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just logged in over there and the last game was the The Cask of Amontillado I.

Wasn't that Lagom's?

I know octopus didn't work for the PuppetMaster login.
stessier

Post by stessier »

What the - now the forum is gone! Says it was deleted for non-use. Also there is a link for the Admin to get it back, but we need the PuppetMaster password.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

yeah looks like his game ended in late september, so he probably has keys. Hey stessier would you mind helping set up the forums if i hit some stumbling blocks while setting up?
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

dang I reset my passwordd and the forum went "poof". Hope we didnt lose much. Those dang swedes and hiding our passwords!!!
Bayraktar!!!!

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Cask of Amontillado was mine, and I was last out. When I try to login to restore the forum, I get a blank white screen with the text:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /home3/freeforums.org/v3.freeforums.org/htdocs/includes/auth.php on line 880

Thoughts? I'm not a code monkey. If anyone wants my PuppetMaster password to try some sort of maneuver (I can't change it), just shoot me a PM.

Edit - sent a password PM to stessier and Newcastle. GL. We're all counting on you.
Is there anyone in hell?

stessier

Post by stessier »

Just responded to your PM.

I got the same message when I tried to log in. I sent a request for support to FreeForums. The automated reply said it may be 2-3 business days before a response, so it might be the middle of next week. We only have 7 days to reclaim the forum, so it might be close. Sorry about this. :(
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

a 1000 lashes with a wet noodle for ya!
Bayraktar!!!!

stessier

Post by stessier »

I think this might be back. But I deleted Lagom's PM with the password.

Newcastle, do you still have it? If so, feel free to try it out and PM me so we can get things set up.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I am in as puppetmaster right now it looks like.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I think we are missing some thing though, i only see 4 previous games forums in there....thought there was more.
Bayraktar!!!!

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Newcastle wrote:I think we are missing some thing though, i only see 4 previous games forums in there....thought there was more.
Sounds about right. We used Grundbegriff's forum in one of his games, and yet another forum some other time I think.

Should be Cask of Amontillado and Fellowship of the Ring (both mine), and I think Dark Knight (stessier) and Spaceship R.Scott II (Scoop)?
Is there anyone in hell?

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I didnt see stessiers dark night in there, hence my concern.
Bayraktar!!!!

stessier

Post by stessier »

Woo-hoo! It's alive!

I thought Dark Knight was in there as well. Oh well, if that's all we lost it's not too bad.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

stessier you change the password to this? I kind of want to tinker around and try to set up a new set of bond 2 forums in there.
Bayraktar!!!!

stessier

Post by stessier »

I didn't change the password. It was the one Lagom sent. You can feel free to change it and play around. Just don't forget the new one! :)
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

stessier wrote:I didn't change the password. It was the one Lagom sent. You can feel free to change it and play around. Just don't forget the new one! :)
alrighty - a tinkering i go.
Bayraktar!!!!

stessier

Post by stessier »

The board has 50 Bots registered. We should feel important! :lol:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Warning: I went to the OO Free forum to make sure I could remember my password and I got a pop up saying my computer needed an immediate Anti-Virus Scan. I closed Firefox through Task Manager to make sure I didn't install a virus.

Must have been in one of those advertisements.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ohhhhh - we could add tables to the spoiler forum!

Just think of the fun the next time Chaos was evil.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

:wub: now we just need pie charts and a power point presentation *swoon*
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

stessier wrote:Ohhhhh - we could add tables to the spoiler forum!

I was playing with this feature and I was having trouble getting the spacing right between the columns. I tried adding blank columns, I tried adding blank spaces after the column headers, but nothing seemed to work. I don't want the data all crowded on top of each other. Any suggestions?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

bb2112 wrote:

I was playing with this feature and I was having trouble getting the spacing right between the columns. I tried adding blank columns, I tried adding blank spaces after the column headers, but nothing seemed to work. I don't want the data all crowded on top of each other. Any suggestions?
Check out my solution . It was the only way around it that I can tell.... you need to have your 'header row' have Buffer columns labeled with something like "..."... Then in the body of data, you can just put in blank columns and the data will be spaced as much as your "..." gave it.
Column1. . . . . .Column2. . . . . .Column3. . . . . .Column4
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData

Unfortunately, any Line Feed in the whole string of tags is placed ahead of the table, so there is a bunch of whitespace above the table, unless you clean it all up into 1 line of text, which is hard to edit/write. (so I removed the Line Feeds after I made the table...)
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Unagi wrote:
bb2112 wrote:

Check out my solution . It was the only way around it that I can tell.... you need to have your 'header row' have Buffer columns labeled with something like "..."... Then in the body of data, you can just put in blank columns and the data will be spaced as much as your "..." gave it.
Column1. . . . . .Column2. . . . . .Column3. . . . . .Column4
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData
DataDataDataData

Unfortunately, any Line Feed in the whole string of tags is placed ahead of the table, so there is a bunch of whitespace above the table, unless you clean it all up into 1 line of text, which is hard to edit/write. (so I removed the Line Feeds after I made the table...)
I was thinking of something like this as a solution, but I thought it would terrible. After looking at your table though, it doesn't look too bad. I wil give it a try.

Thanks Unagi!
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Chaosraven wrote::wub: now we just need pie charts and a power point presentation *swoon*
nooo! I get enough of that at work:

Is there anyone in hell?

stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah - Blank columns don't work because they have zero width. Something has to be in there and then it takes the length of that something. Change the font in those to a background color and they should disappear.

On some boards you can also justify text. Maybe we could call upon the power of Grund to see what he can figure out. :horse: