Arkham Horror: Turn 10. INVESTIGATOR VICTORY!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror-Turn 5 Encounters. Investigators kick boot

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:I'm gonna need some help getting off the Unvisited Isle. You still have a turn to get over there - just don't wander too far away. :)

Gryndyl, on the main board there is an arch with numbers on it. I think Number 1 used to be blacked out. Now it's now and from my reading of the rules, that counter never goes down. Am I (quite possibly) mistaken?
I'll stay in range or someone else will so we can get you out safe.

Gryndl, If we go into the Unvisited Isle the same turn stessier comes out the gate to close it do we get sucked in (and thus lost in time & space) or can we fight the monsters? I guess I'm asking if he gets a chance to close the gate first. Does it go turn order?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

stessier wrote:I'm gonna need some help getting off the Unvisited Isle. You still have a turn to get over there - just don't wander too far away. :)

Gryndyl, on the main board there is an arch with numbers on it. I think Number 1 used to be blacked out. Now it's now and from my reading of the rules, that counter never goes down. Am I (quite possibly) mistaken?
No, you're not mistaken-I just spaced filling that in. I'll fix it for the Mythos turn board.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote: Gryndl, If we go into the Unvisited Isle the same turn stessier comes out the gate to close it do we get sucked in (and thus lost in time & space) or can we fight the monsters? I guess I'm asking if he gets a chance to close the gate first. Does it go turn order?
You would get sucked in. Travel through a gate occurs as part of the movement phase whereas gate closure occurs during the encounter phase. In order to try and protect stessier you'd have to wait until the following turn when the location is gate-free.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Gryndyl wrote:
Remus West wrote: Gryndl, If we go into the Unvisited Isle the same turn stessier comes out the gate to close it do we get sucked in (and thus lost in time & space) or can we fight the monsters? I guess I'm asking if he gets a chance to close the gate first. Does it go turn order?
You would get sucked in. Travel through a gate occurs as part of the movement phase whereas gate closure occurs during the encounter phase. In order to try and protect stessier you'd have to wait until the following turn when the location is gate-free.
Does he have to fight the monsters the turn he comes out?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:
Does he have to fight the monsters the turn he comes out?
Nope. Monsters are "encountered" as an aspect of the movement phase. This is probably one of the more confusing of AH's rule concepts.

In a nutshell, if you start a movement phase on a location with a monster and attempt to leave then you have to roll to sneak past. If you start movement on a location with a monster and remain there then you share the space at the end of movement and must evade or fight on the encounter phase. If you're returning through a gate, however, the movement is considered to be extradimensional so you're not actually sharing the location with the monster until the encounter phase.

In effect, when returning through a gate you have free reign to deal with the gate and don't have to worry about any resident critters until the following turn.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 5 MYTHOS

A gate has opened at The Unnameable!

The Doom Track has increased by 1 to 5 of 11

Two creatures emerge. A Nightgaunt and a Gug. The Mi-Go at the Witch House takes to the skies

The Mi-Go who was already in the sky decide that it's time for a bit of carnage and comes swooping down over the streets of Arkham. It finds only one poor soul visible in the streets: a diminutive professor waving an ichor stained silver sword about.

A clue appears in the woods and is promptly obtained by Chaosraven.

Curfew is still in effect

Hibb's Roadhouse is still closed.

Newspaper Headline

Vigilantes Guard the Night!

A mob of vigilantes takes to the Downtown streets to clear away any trace of evil they find there and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Game Board at end of turn 5:

Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 3 Monster Count: 10 Terror Track: 1 of 10 Doom Track: 5 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 2

GATE REPORT:

Unvisited Isle: "Great Hall of Celeano". Star. -1
The Witch House: "The Abyss". Hexagon. -2
The Unnameable: Unknown Gate

MONSTER REPORT:

The skies:
Mi-Go (circle, -2) Threat: Low
Nightgaunt (slash, -2) Threat: Low
Fire Vampire (star, +0) Threat: Moderate/Low

Rivertown Streets:
Mi-Go (circle, -2) Threat: Low

French Hill Streets:
The Dark Pharaoh (slash, -1) Threat: Moderate/High

Unvisited Isle:
Dark Young (hexagon, -2) Threat: High
Maniac (moon, -1) Threat: Low

The Unnameable:
Nightgaunt (slash, -2) Threat: Low
Gug (slash, -2) Threat: High

Black Cave:
Warlock (circle, -2) Threat: Moderate/Low

Turn 6 Move Order:

Chaosraven
Stessier
Semaj
Isgrimnur
Scoop20906
Remus West
Lars
DocD

GM Commentary:

Last chance to request items or change your mind on items from the Curiositie Shoppe sale.
And, as a reminder, monsters spawn 2 per gate opening and the limit is 11. Ideally you have the monster population at 9 or lower by the end of each encounter phase.
Last edited by Gryndyl on Fri May 28, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semaj

Re: AH Mythos Turn 5: In Which Mapquest Sends a Mob Awry

Post by Semaj »

ok I'll head to the unnameable this turn... See about busting some monsters in the grill and sealing a gate
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I can't see the map, so if anyone has advice feel free to share it. I am still carrying five hands worth of weaponry here...
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

So for turn 6 I have:

Chaosraven: French Hill Streets
Stessier: Return from Celeano
Semaj: Go through gate at Unnameable
Isgrimnur: Return from Abyss
Scoop20906: Remain at Black Cave
Remus West: Remain in Riverside
Lars: Remain at Asylum
DocD: unannounced

For those of you in locations with monsters: You can either stay and fight them or attempt to sneak away to move somewhere else. To sneak away you'll have to make a sneak roll modified by the penalty shown on the monster tile (also listed in the monster report on the mythos update) If you fail the evade roll you take full damage from the monster and then enter combat with it. If there is more than one monster in a location each must be evaded and/or fought separately.
Last edited by Gryndyl on Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Ok, I'll lose the dynamite, I guess..... damn my fragile mind, wish we had madness cards to pull instead, hehe.

I'll stay in the Asylum and spend $2 to get my sanity back to full.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Current Stats: Speed: 2 Sneak: 3 Fight: 1 Will: 3 Lore: 4 Luck: 2
focus Speed 3 Sneak 2, Fight 0 Will 4.

head to

French Hill Streets:
The Dark Pharaoh (slash, -1) Threat: Moderate/High

curfew
Any investigator who ends their movement in the streets must pass a Will check or be arrested and taken to the Police Station
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'll stay where I am and teach the Mi-go how I-go-about-butt-kicking.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:I'll stay where I am and teach the Mi-go how I-go-about-butt-kicking.
Did you want to modify your Will at all? You'll have to pass the curfew roll before you get a shot at the Mi-Go
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Gryndyl wrote:
Remus West wrote:I'll stay where I am and teach the Mi-go how I-go-about-butt-kicking.
Did you want to modify your Will at all? You'll have to pass the curfew roll before you get a shot at the Mi-Go
My will is already maxed out so, no. Does the curfew roll have a minus at all? I may want to use my upkeep spell to get a +1 bonus on all checks for the round.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:
My will is already maxed out so, no. Does the curfew roll have a minus at all? I may want to use my upkeep spell to get a +1 bonus on all checks for the round.
Nope; straight Will roll.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

No spell then just going for it.
docD

Post by docD »

Sorry for the delay, I was enjoying the long weekend. I can't reach you this turn Isgrimnur to pick up that sword from you, so I'll move to the docks and try to meet up with you after you close the portal.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

docD wrote:Sorry for the delay, I was enjoying the long weekend. I can't reach you this turn Isgrimnur to pick up that sword from you, so I'll move to the docks and try to meet up with you after you close the portal.
No worries-holiday weekend was a pretty obvious choice for explaining delays and I wasn't sweating it :)

All moves are in now so I'll start getting things rolling.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

As of now, all sales from the Curiositie Shoppe have become final.

Map of Arkham: Remus

Rifle: Isgrimnur

Obsidian Statue: Scoop

Items have been added and money deducted from character sheets. These items are available for use now
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Can I use the ancient tablet this turn since I'm not moving anyway, burning the 3mp doesn't hurt and extra spells/clues would be nice. :D
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:Can I use the ancient tablet this turn since I'm not moving anyway, burning the 3mp doesn't hurt and extra spells/clues would be nice. :D
Yup!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 6 ENCOUNTERS

Upkeep:
Stessier: Blessing; 1 Failed. Blessing Lost :( Retainer: 6 success! + $2
semaj: Retainer 1st turn. no roll necessary. + $2

Chaosraven:

You decide that, though they seem benign at the moment, the woods might not be such a great place to spend any quality time. A stroll through Arkham is just what you need to clear your head. The streets of Uptown and Southside seem quiet enough and you continue on to the quaint charm of French Hill. You're not, it would seem, the only person that has come here to take in the view. The other fellow, however, is jet black and dressed like that King Tut chap that's been in all of the newspapers. Tommy gun first, introductions later...

Dark Pharaoh: san-1 dam 1, combat-3 3 dam, 2 toughness. Use Lore instead of Fight
san roll 4-1 (6,5,4) success!
lore 4 +tommy gun 6 -dark pharaoh 3= 7 dice
6,5,5,2,2,2,2=3 successes out of 2 needed
You defeated the Dark Pharaoh!
Dark Pharaoh is endless and not gained as a trophy :(

Stessier:

You emerge from the vortex of colors back into the dubious safety of Arkham. Somehow knowing that it is the right thing to do you take in hand the good luck charm that Dr. Fern gave you. You turn and fling into the gate. There is a searing flash of light accompanied by a thunderclap so powerful it drops you to your knees. The gate is gone and your last conscious thought is that this place, at least, is now safe.

Apart from whatever is already lurking here...

You have used the Elder Sign The gate is closed and this location is now permanently sealed. The Doom Track decreases by 1 to 4 of 11.
The closure of the Celeano gate has eliminated the Fire Vampire from the Skies.
-1 Stamina, -1 Sanity for use of the Elder Sign. You have gained a gate trophy.

Your stamina loss has reduced you to 0 Stamina. You have lost half of your clues (0) and must select half of your items to lose; 7 items/2 rounded down= 3 items of your choice.

You will awaken during turn 7 Upkeep at the Hospital with 1 Stamina. You may remain there for the turn and spend $2 to be at full Stamina.

Semaj:

You step into the huge creepy house, figuring there's bound to be something of interest in there. That's when everything went dark.

(Plateau of Leng. diamond, -1)

You are awakened by the sound of chanting and as you regain your senses you realize that it is your own voice. You open your eyes to find yourself on a desolate frozen plateau. Above you is a thing, apparently called into being by whatever you were chanting (luck -2 roll=3, fail). It shrieks and flaps its wings. You think of the empty shell of a beetle and the soft loam of rotting earth. It cocks its carapaced head at you, black teeth clicking against each other.

The very existence of the thing gives you a bit of a headache but a two-fisted quickdraw and a hail of bullets seem to solve the problem readily enough.

byakhee: -1 san, 1 dam. -0 combat, 2 dam. 1 toughness.
san roll: 4,1 fail. -1 san
fight 2 + .38 3 +.45 4 -0 byakhee=9. 6,6,5,4,4,4,3,3,2= 3 successes out of 1 needed. gain byakhee trophy 1 point

Isgrimnur:

You emerge from that awful place back into the strange little boarding house. It seems that you have stepped out of an unsettling conglomeration of angles in one corner of an upstairs room. Well, you can perhaps set that right. A line here, a smudge there, and things look Euclidean once again. No chance of anyone wandering through that corner the wrong way again.

lore-2 roll 5,4,1. success!
gain gate trophy. -5 clues, gate sealed
all hex monsters removed. (dark young)

Scoop20906:

At the mouth of a cave lurks a sinister figure. It turns towards you and starts hissing out words of what seems like some kind of spell.

Warlock: -1 san, 1 dam. -3 combat, 1 dam, 2 toughness. Gain 2 clues instead of trophy

san roll 3-1=2 5,5 sucess!

It's surprising how often bullets can solve these little problems. The figure vanishes after you take a few shots at it but you think you know a little more about what's going on in this place.

.38 +3 and enchanted blade +4 +4 fight -3 warlock=8 5,5,5,4,2,2,1. 3 successes, 2 needed. You have gained 2 clues.

Remus West:

Now seems a good time to relax and try and puzzle out a bit of that tablet you've been dragging around. Aha! It's in ancient Sumerian. You just happen to speak that fluently! This appears to be in a regional dialect, however, so the details are a bit fuzzy.
roll: 4,2; fail =4 clues, 0 spells.
(+4 clues)

...And that's when the thing comes swooping down out of the sky at you. Is it a lobster? A wasp? And Darwin be damned, it seems to be made up of fungus!

Mi-Go: -1 san, 2 dam. -0 combat, 1 dam. 1 toughness. Gain unique item instead of trophy

San roll: 5,5 success!
Combat: fight 0 + sword of glory 6 -0 for mi-go. 6,5,3,2,2,1. 2 successes out of 1 needed

You swipe wildly through the air with your sword and the thing bursts apart into a cloud of noxious smelling spores as your blade passes through it. Hmmm. What's this? Seems it was carrying something...

You have gained a Warding Statue

Lars:

Ah, a peaceful respite in a small white room...

-$2. Sanity restored.

DocD:

A horrific stench draws your attention to the body of some bizarre marine creature rotting on the deck of one of the boats.

As you move towards it an uneasy feeling grows in the pit of your stomach, as though you are meddling with something best left alone.

(will -1 check: 4,3. fail. Used research papers: 3. Fail. Used clue: 6. Success!)

There seems to be a book tangled amidst the abomination's tentacles.

(-1 san, gain Nameless Cults)

Game Board after Turn 6 Encounters:

Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 1 Monster Count: 5 Terror Track: 1 Doom Track: 4 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 4
Isgrimnur

Re: Arkham Horror Turn 6 Encounters

Post by Isgrimnur »

Busting makes me feel good!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Gryndyl

Re: Arkham Horror Turn 6 Encounters

Post by Gryndyl »

MYTHOS TURN 6

A gate has opened at the Graveyard!

A Ghoul and a Cultist emerge. The Cultist runs into the Riverside streets where Remus awaits with goo drenched sword in hand. The Maniac moves into the streets of the Merchant District.

The doom track increases by 1 to 5 of 11

A clue has appeared at Unvisited Isle.
Hibb's Roadhouse is now open for business!
The curfew has ended!

Environment (Weather)

An Evil Fog

Will checks in Arkham are made at a -1 penalty
Sneak checks in Arkham are made at a +1 bonus.
Flying monsters will not move.

This will continue as long as the fog persists.

Game Board at end of Turn 6 Mythos:

Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 2 Monster Count: 7 Terror Track: 1 Doom Track: 5 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 4

Gate Report:
The Unnameable: Plateau of Leng, diamond, -1
Graveyard: Unknown Gate

Clue Report:
1 clue at Unvisited Isle

Monster Report:

Sky:
Mi-Go: -2, circle, threat: low
Nightgaunt: -2, slash, threat: Low

The Unnameable:
Nightgaunt: -2, slash, threat: low
Gug: -2, slash, threat: high

Merchant District Streets:
Maniac: -1, moon, threat: low

Rivertown streets:
Cultist: -3, moon, threat: low

Graveyard:
Ghoul: -3, hex, threat: low

Turn 7 Move Order:

Stessier: Remain at St. Mary's for healing
Semaj: Move through the Plateau of Leng
Isgrimnur: Move to Merchant District, Attack Maniac
Scoop20906: Unannounced
Remus West: Speed 1 Sneak 4; sneak past cultist and enter Graveyard Gate
Lars: Go to Newspaper
DocD: Move to Merchant District
Chaosraven: Move to Unvisited Isle

GM Commentary:
You guys had a very solid and serious turn 6! The mythos is a bit on the ropes at the moment. Don't let 'em catch their breath!
Last edited by Gryndyl on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror Turn 6 Mythos!

Post by Remus West »

Having successfully failed using the tablet gives me enough clues to seal another gate. Off to find one when it becomes time. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DocD, meet me in the Merchant District. I'll take down the maniac and hand you the sword. Stick around for turn 8 and I'll give you some booth therapy, just 5 cents.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Use focus to move my speed to 1 (and sneak to 4 as a result). Sneak past the cultist to our sparkly new gate. Do I get to slice and dice the ghoul before being sucked into the gate?

edit: Semaj has enough clues and speed to get to the other open gate and be able to close it I think.
Last edited by Remus West on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It looks like we have things well enough under control for me to sleep a night in the infirmary and get back all my strength.

Is there someplace we can buy Elder signs, or do we just have to get lucky and find them?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:Use focus to move my speed to 1 (and sneak to 4 as a result). Sneak past the cultist to our sparkly new gate. Do I get to slice and dice the ghoul before being sucked into the gate?

edit: Semaj has enough clues and speed to get to the other open gate and be able to close it I think.
Nope; if the ghoul is still there when you come back out of the gate you would be able to attack him after sealing it.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

stessier wrote:It looks like we have things well enough under control for me to sleep a night in the infirmary and get back all my strength.

Is there someplace we can buy Elder signs, or do we just have to get lucky and find them?
Elder Signs can be purchased at the Curiositie Shoppe. This does, however, require some luck as you only get to select from among the top three items from the Unique Item deck. If none of them are Elder Signs then you'd have to try again. This can rapidly become very expensive as you must buy something, if possible, on each visit.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ok, is there a way to get somebody who has 5 clues this Spell of Mine to ComeBackFromElsewhere?
And to hand somebody at least ONE of my FIVE hands worth of guns?
AND get somewhere to Shoot a Wee Beastie?
"Where are you off to?"

stessier

Post by stessier »

Chaosraven wrote:Ok, is there a way to get somebody who has 5 clues this Spell of Mine to ComeBackFromElsewhere?
I have no clues.
A gun would be much appreciated.
I'm spending the day recuperating in the Hospital, so not really anything to shoot around here. But if you end up with nothing better to do, I'd still love a one handed gun.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:Ok, is there a way to get somebody who has 5 clues this Spell of Mine to ComeBackFromElsewhere?
I did not think you could trade clues or spells. Otherwise I'm happy to wait here and take that spell of your before jumping into the gate. Assumeing you move beofre I do this turn.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
I did not think you could trade clues or spells. Otherwise I'm happy to wait here and take that spell of your before jumping into the gate. Assumeing you move beofre I do this turn.
Spells may be traded. Clues can't be.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Sadly, CR moves last so can not bring me the spell. Probably worth it to meet with Semaj before he jumps the other gate and give it to him though as it will net us a turn with respect to when that gate closes.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

arent I already in one?
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:Sadly, CR moves last so can not bring me the spell. Probably worth it to meet with Semaj before he jumps the other gate and give it to him though as it will net us a turn with respect to when that gate closes.
Sadly that won't work. Once semaj returns he can't leave the gate location or he loses his chance to close it. Anyone else entering the location would be immediately drawn through the gate before they could hand off a spell.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Speed: 3 Sneak: 2 Fight: 0 Will: 4 Lore: 4 Luck: 2

Barring any other plan, figure to focus Speed 2 Sneak 3, Lore 3 Luck 3,
and go to

Merchant District Streets:
Maniac: -1, moon, threat: low

to introduce the Maniac to my friend TOMMY
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Semaj wrote:arent I already in one?
NM, for some reason I did not think you were.
docD

Post by docD »

I'll move to the merchant district to trade with Isgrimnur and discuss the terrible trauma I've suffered as a wizard.