Arkham Horror: Turn 10. INVESTIGATOR VICTORY!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror Turn 7 Encounters

Post by Remus West »

Just because it did not clear up when it wasn't shaken means nothing.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Gryndyl

Re: Arkham Horror Turn 7 Encounters

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 7 MYTHOS

A gate has opened at the Silver Twilight Lodge.

The Doom Track advances to 6 of 11

An Elder Thing and a Formless Spawn emerge from the gate. The Elder Thing moves out into French Hill. The Mi-Go in the skies considers doing some swooping but is put off by the evil fog.

No clue appears.

Headline:

Police Step Up Patrols in Northside!

All monsters in Northside removed (none)

The Evil Fog is still in effect
-1 to Arkham Will checks.
+1 to Arkham sneak checks.
No Fliers move.

Current Game Board

Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 3 Monster Count: 7 Terror Track: 1 Doom Track: 6 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 4

Gate Report:

The Graveyard: "R'yleh" Cross -3
The Unnameable: "Plateau of Leng" Diamond -1
Silver Twilight Lodge: Unknown Gate

MONSTER REPORT:

The skies:
Mi-Go (circle, -2) Threat: Low
Nightgaunt (slash, -2) Threat: Low

The Unnameable:
Nightgaunt (slash, -2) Threat: Low
Gug (slash, -2) Threat: High

Graveyard: Ghoul (hex, -3) Threat: Low

French Hill:
Elder Thing (diamond, -2) Threat: low/medium
Formless Spawn (hex +0) Threat: Medium

Turn 8 Move Order:

Semaj: (lore 4 luck 2) Return from Plateau of Leng and seal gate
Isgrimnur: +san to docd, go to French Hill
Scoop20906: Go to French Hill
Remus West: Move through R'lyeh
Lars: unannounced
DocD: go to silver twilight lodge and enter gate (will require sneak check on elder thing)
Chaosraven: Go to French Hill
Stessier: Go to French Hill

GM Commentary:

Sorry for the delay; was dropped low by the flu about twenty minutes after I posted the turn 7 encounters. You didn't get any benefit from the Arkham Police but, on the bright side, you pulled a pair of very manageable monsters so things are still rolling in your favor. Hope you all had a great weekend!
Last edited by Gryndyl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stessier

Re: Arkham Horror Turn 7 Mythos up at last...

Post by stessier »

Not really sure what I should be doing this turn.

I can go to French Hill and take out the Elder Thing (should be able to anyway) and jump into the gate at the lodge on the next turn. Or if Scoop wants to take out the Elder thing, I can jump into the gate this turn. Either way, I can only close the gate, not seal it. So maybe I should just go have an encounter somewhere and try to get clues.

I'm open to suggestions. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Let me put our good magician's head back together, and I'll go gun dow the Elder Thing. You could use your Mists of Releh spell to bypass him (if he's still a threat since you move last) and get to the gate this turn.

We're running low on people that can seal gates. Our good Professor West will be sealing one upon his return, as will semaj. That will get us 2/3 of the way to a seal victory.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Do we have anyone ready to jump into a gate with the ability to seal it? If not then we should have one player concentrate on getting the clues needed to seal and the rest of us remove monsters and keep closing gates (we get the token regardless of seal or simple closure).
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scoop and Chaosraven need one more clue each. Everybody else is too far out to make it feasible.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:Scoop and Chaosraven need one more clue each. Everybody else is too far out to make it feasible.
Then someone other than those two should jump this newest gate so we can close it. Those two should get positioned to be able to cover as much of town as possible so if a clue appears next turn one of them can grab it. The rest of us should monster hunt. Save me since I'm not there but I'll go after the two in my gate space when I get back if they haven't moved.
docD

Post by docD »

After Isgrimnur gets done shrinking my head, I'll volenteer to jump into the portal at the silver lodge, if someone can kill the Elder Thing in the way. I have the gate spell to help me get back quickly.
stessier

Post by stessier »

docD wrote:After Isgrimnur gets done shrinking my head, I'll volenteer to jump into the portal at the silver lodge, if someone can kill the Elder Thing in the way. I have the gate spell to help me get back quickly.
Do you have enough Sanity to pull it off? If so, Good Luck, we are all counting on you! Otherwise, I could take the Gate Spell and jump through it for you.

If you go through the Lodge, I'll just pick an encounter somewhere.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Another thought - should we give the Gate Spell to Scoop and just do this gate the old fashioned way? That way, when he gets the 5th clue, he can seal the gate quickly. Either of us can only close this one, so not as big a deal.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:Another thought - should we give the Gate Spell to Scoop and just do this gate the old fashioned way? That way, when he gets the 5th clue, he can seal the gate quickly. Either of us can only close this one, so not as big a deal.
That might be a good idea. Then both CR and Scoop, who are the ones close to being able to seal gates, would have the gate spell.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

So it goes off fighting or lore...

One assumes I'ma need lore way more than luck this turn while fighting should probably remain where it is since I need to be sane enough to fight the creatures.

So I'll move to lore/Luck: 4/2...

Any be trying to close this off lore... eww..

Sidenote: if I have my movement at the bare minimum of 1, I'd still be able to move 5, correct?
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Anyone with any knowledge of road tripping through other dimensions think I should alter my stats?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Semaj wrote:
Sidenote: if I have my movement at the bare minimum of 1, I'd still be able to move 5, correct?
Correct.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

stessier wrote:Not really sure what I should be doing this turn.

I can go to French Hill and take out the Elder Thing (should be able to anyway) and jump into the gate at the lodge on the next turn. Or if Scoop wants to take out the Elder thing, I can jump into the gate this turn. Either way, I can only close the gate, not seal it. So maybe I should just go have an encounter somewhere and try to get clues.

I'm open to suggestions. :)
We can go to french hill, I'll give ya a gun.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I can head to French Hill and fight the Elder Thing. On the next turn I can visit the Science Build and use my Gate Trophy to get two clues.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Scoop20906 wrote:I can head to French Hill and fight the Elder Thing. On the next turn I can visit the Science Build and use my Gate Trophy to get two clues.
Do spent gate trophies count towards victory? If not then save it.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:I can head to French Hill and fight the Elder Thing. On the next turn I can visit the Science Build and use my Gate Trophy to get two clues.
Do spent gate trophies count towards victory? If not then save it.
Spent gate trophies do not count towards victory.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

No stat change.

Go to French Hill
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, here's the moves as announced/suggested so far, to keep the move discussion up-to-date

Semaj: (lore 4 luck 2) Return from Plateau of Leng and seal gate
Isgrimnur: +san to docd, go to French Hill
Scoop20906: Go to Black Cave
Remus West: Move through R'lyeh
Lars: general store for encounter
DocD: go to silver twilight lodge and enter gate (will require sneak check on elder thing)
Chaosraven: Go to French Hill, give a gun to stessier
Stessier: Go to French Hill and receive gun
Last edited by Gryndyl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Since it appears that there is nothing to fight at the moment, and there is no way I'm sneaking past the Elder Thing, I'll keep my stats the same and move to the General Store, and have an encounter there.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, I have moves for everyone but am not going to finalize them just yet as I know some of them were somewhat tentative. In particular, it seems that there's a whole crowd headed to French Hill. This is fine, if that's what y'all indeed wish to do but I want to doublecheck on the French Hill moves to make sure.

With current turn order, Isgrimnur is the one who would take down the Elder Thing.
docD

Post by docD »

Where are you going Scoop? I'll meet you there and drop off my gate spell.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

docD wrote:Where are you going Scoop? I'll meet you there and drop off my gate spell.
Go jump the gate. You can close that one and give him the spell when you come back.

Scoop should go have an encouonter somewhere. Otherwise he is just standing around Frenchhill doing nothing.

Also, why are stessier and Chaosraven meeting in Frenchhill? Isn't there somewhere better for them to meet? Somewhere they could have an encounter?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remus West wrote:Also, why are stessier and Chaosraven meeting in Frenchhill? Isn't there somewhere better for them to meet? Somewhere they could have an encounter?
Are you implying that they should get a room? :shock:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Remus West wrote:Also, why are stessier and Chaosraven meeting in Frenchhill? Isn't there somewhere better for them to meet? Somewhere they could have an encounter?
Are you implying that they should get a room? :shock:
What happens in Arkham stays in Arkham.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Remus West wrote:
docD wrote:Where are you going Scoop? I'll meet you there and drop off my gate spell.
Go jump the gate. You can close that one and give him the spell when you come back.

Scoop should go have an encouonter somewhere. Otherwise he is just standing around Frenchhill doing nothing.

Also, why are stessier and Chaosraven meeting in Frenchhill? Isn't there somewhere better for them to meet? Somewhere they could have an encounter?
Ok.

I will go to the Black Cave and have an encounter.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Remus West wrote:

Ok.

I will go to the Black Cave and have an encounter.
Sounds naughty
docD

Post by docD »

All right I'll jump in gate at twlight lodge. Wish me luck I'm going to need it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What happens if docD goes whacko in another dimension?
docD

Post by docD »

Lost in space and time for a turn and then return to Arkham.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That actually sounds like you're getting off light.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, just need to hear from Chaosraven and stessier to see if they're still planning on French Hill or if they want to meet somewhere where they can have an encounter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

With Scoop having the lower half of the board covered, I think Chaos and I should either have an encounter at the Library or where he currently is (the Unvisited Isle).

I'll go along with whatever he chooses. For reference, I have a movement of 4 at the moment (best I can do).
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Monster Count: 7

If I'm not needed for a Gate, why not address this?
"Where are you off to?"

Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Will my gate closing kill any of the monsters in play?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Remus West wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Scoop and Chaosraven need one more clue each. Everybody else is too far out to make it feasible.
Then someone other than those two should jump this newest gate so we can close it. Those two should get positioned to be able to cover as much of town as possible so if a clue appears next turn one of them can grab it. The rest of us should monster hunt. Save me since I'm not there but I'll go after the two in my gate space when I get back if they haven't moved.
DocD going to gate.
Everyone else should do what they can regarding the monsters. Is anyone going after a monster other than the elder thing?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

and a quick check of the board shows me why nobody is hunting any other monsters. The only other ones on the board are flying or in a gate space so are essentially safe from us. :(
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Semaj wrote:Will my gate closing kill any of the monsters in play?
It'll take out the Formless Spawn.

And yeah, other than the Elder Thing all monsters are where no one can readily get to them for the moment.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

So in theory I am dropping 3, if someone wants to wait in the city streets hoping the animals will fly to him, so be it.