Arkham Horror: Turn 10. INVESTIGATOR VICTORY!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Gryndyl

Arkham Horror: Turn 10. INVESTIGATOR VICTORY!

Post by Gryndyl »

Overview
Dimensional gates have begun springing up in Arkham and unspeakable horrors are emerging from them. If too many gates open the fabric of our dimension will be ripped open and a Great Old One will emerge to lay waste to the world. The only thing standing in the way of this happening are the six of you. You must attempt to close the gates and, hopefully, keep the monster population in check at the same time. If you manage to close all of the gates then the world will be safe again. If you fail then you will face off against the Great Old One in a last stand against utter destruction.

Final Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 0 Monster Count: 6 Terror Track: 1 Doom Track: 8 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 8

Great Old One
Spoiler:
Players and Characters

Player 1: Isgrimnur "Carolyn Fern, the Psychologist"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 3 of 6
Stamina: 1 of 4
Gate Trophies: 1
Monster Trophies:
Maniac: 1 point
Money: 1$
Clues: 0
Skills:
Luck +1, add one bonus die whenever spending a clue token to augment a luck roll
Common Items:
Food: Discard food to reduce any stamina loss by 1
Rifle: (2 hands, physical weapon) +5 to combat checks
Unique Items:
None
Spells:
None
Current Stats: Speed: 3 Sneak: 0 Fight: 3 Will: 2 Lore: 5 Luck: 2 (+1)
Player 2: Scoop20906 "Bob Jenkins, the Salesman"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 4 of 4
Stamina: 6 of 6
Monster Trophies:
Dimensional Shambler; 1 point
Ghoul; 1 point
Money: 1$
Clues: 4
Skills:
Stealth: Exhaust to reroll an evade check
Common Items:
.38 Revolver: (1 hand, physical weapon) +3 to combat checks
Ancient Tome: On movement phase, exhaust and spend 2 movement to make a Lore-1 check. Success: Discard tome and draw a spell. Fail: No result
Unique Items:
Flute of the Outer Gods
lose 3 sanity and three stamina and discard flute to defeat all monsters in your current area. Does not work against great old ones.
Enchanted Blade: (1 hand, magical weapon) +4 to combat checks
Obsidian Statue: Discard to cancel all Stamina or Sanity loss being dealt to you from one source
Spells:
Mists of Releh: (Casting modifier: special, Sanity 0) Cast and exhaust to pass an evade check. Casting modifier is equal to the monster's awareness.
Current Stats: Speed: 2 Sneak: 3 Fight: 4 Will: 3 Lore: 2 Luck: 2
Player 3: Remus West "Harvey Walters, the Professor"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 5 of 7
Stamina: 3 0f 3
Monster Trophies:
Formless Spawn: 2 points
Money: 0$
Clues: 3
Skills:
Bravery: Exhaust to reroll a horror check
Common Items:
Map of Arkham: Exhaust to gain 1 movement point.
Unique Items:
Powder of Ibn-Ghazi: (2 hands, magical weapon) Discard and lose 1 Sanity for +9 to combat check
Sword of Glory: (2 hands, Magical Weapon) +6 to combat checks
Warding Statue: Discard after failing a combat check to reduce the damage to 0 stamina. May also be used to cancel a Great Old One's attack for an entire turn (!)
Spells:
Voice of Ra: (casting modifier -1, sanity -1) During upkeep, cast and exhaust to gain +1 to all skill checks for the rest of the turn
Storm of Spirits: (2 hands, casting modifier -1, sanity 0) Cast and exhaust to gain +3 to combat checks and to use Lore instead of Fight to make the check until the end of combat
Current Stats: Speed: 1 Sneak: 4 Fight: 0 Will: 3 Lore: 5 Luck: 2
Player 4: Lars "Michael McGlen, the Gangster"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 3 of 3
Stamina: 7 of 7
Monster trophies:
Zombie; 1 point
Money: 6$
Clues: 1
Skills:
Fight: +1 Fight. When you spend a clue token to add to a fight check add one extra bonus die
Common Items:
Tommy Gun: (2 hands, physical weapon) +6 to combat checks
Axe: (1 hand, physical weapon) +2 to combat checks. (+3 if other hand is empty)
Unique Items:
Gate Box When you return to Arkham from an Other World, you may return to any location with an open gate and gain explored status for that gate.
Spells:
None
Special
Retainer: + $2 per upkeep phase. Chance of loss during Upkeep Phase)
Current Stats: Speed: 3 Sneak: 3 Fight: 3 (+1) Will: 4 Lore: 0 Luck: 3
Player 5: DocD "Dexter Drake, the Magician"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 2 of 5
Stamina: 5 of 5
Money: 0$
Skills:
Stealth: Exhaust to reroll an evade check
Common Items:
.45 Automatic: 1 hand, +4 to combat checks
Unique Items:
Cultes Des Goules: (Tome) On movement phase, exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a Lore-2 check. Pass: Draw 1 spell, gain 1 clue, lose 2 sanity and discard. Fail: no result
Nameless Cults: Exhaust and spend 1 movement point to make a lore -1 check. Pass: Discard and draw 1 spell, lose 1 sanity. Fail: No result
Spells:
Shrivelling: ( 1 hand, casting modifier -1, sanity -1) cast and exhaust for +6 to combat checks until the end of this combat
Voice of Ra: (casting modifier -1, sanity -1) During upkeep, cast and exhaust to gain +1 to all skill checks for the rest of the turn
Find Gate: (casting modifier -1, sanity -1) On movement phase cast and exhaust to immediately return to Arkham from an Other World. You will get credit for having explored the Other World and have the opportunity to close the gate
Flesh Ward: (casting modifier -2, Sanity -1) Cast and exhaust to ignore all stamina loss being dealt to you from one source. Discard this spell when the great old one awakens
Current Stats: Speed: 3 Sneak: 3 Fight: 1 Will: 3 Lore: 5 Luck: 0
Player 6: Chaosraven "Vincent Lee, the Doctor"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 3 0f 5
Stamina: 4 of 5
Money: 5$
Gate Trophies: 2
Monster Trophies:
Chthonian: 3 points
Skills:
Marksman: Exhaust to reroll a combat check
Common Items:
Tommy Gun: (2 hands, physical weapon) +6 to combat checks
Unique Items:
none
Spells:
Find Gate: (casting modifier -1, sanity -1) On movement phase cast and exhaust to immediately return to Arkham from an Other World. You will get credit for having explored the Other World and have the opportunity to close the gate
Wither: (1 hand, casting modifier 0, sanity 0) Cast and exhaust to gain +3 to combat checks until the end of this combat)
Current Stats: Speed: 3 Sneak: 2 Fight: 0 Will: 4 Lore: 4 Luck: 2
Player 7: Stessier "Sister Mary, the Nun"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 2 of 7
Stamina: 3 of 3
Money: 8$
Skills:
Fight: +1 Fight. When you spend a clue token to add to a fight check add one extra bonus die
Common Items:
Rifle: (2 hands, physical weapon) + 5 to combat checks
Unique Items:
Cabala of Saboth: exhaust and spend 2 movement points to make a lore-2 check. Pass: draw 1 skill and discard Cabala. Fail: no result
Spells:
Red sign of Shudde M'ell (1 hand, Casting modifier -1, Sanity -1) Cast and exhaust to lower a monster's toughness by 1 and ignore one special ability (other than magical immunity)
Shrivelling: (1 hand, casting modifier -1, sanity -1) cast and exhaust for +6 to combat checks until the end of this combat
Mists of Releh: (Casting modifier: special, Sanity 0) Cast and exhaust to pass an evade check. Casting modifier is equal to the monster's awareness.
Special
Current Stats: Speed: 4 Sneak: 1 Fight: 2(+1) Will: 2 Lore: 2 Luck: 5
Player 8: Semaj "Monterey Jack, the Archaeologist"
Spoiler:
Sanity: 2 of 3
Stamina: 6 of 7
Monster Trophies:
Byakhee; 1 point
Nightgaunt; 2 points
Money: 11$
Clues: 1
Skills:
Speed: +1 Speed. Add an extra bonus die when spending clue tokens on a speed check.
Common Items:
Bullwhip: (1 hand, physical weapon) +1 to combat check. Exhaust to reroll 1 die after making a combat check
.38 Revolver: (1 hand, physical weapon) +3 to combat checks
.45 Automatic: (1 hand, physical weapon) +4 to combat checks
Motorcycle: Exhaust to gain 2 movement points
Unique Items:
Lamp of Alhazred: (2 hands, magical weapon) +5 to combat checks
Ruby of R'lyeh: You get 3 extra movement points
Pallid mask: +2 to evade checks
Spells:
Wither: (1 hand, casting modifier 0, sanity 0) Cast and exhaust to gain +3 to combat checks until the end of this combat)
Special
Current Stats: Speed: 2 (+1)(+3 Move) Sneak: 2 Fight: 2 Will: 3 Lore: 3 Luck: 3
The complete rules can be found here

The original board can be found here.

Rules Specific to an 8 player game:
Spoiler:
-There can be a maximum of 5 gates open at a time. If there are 5 gates open and another one tries to open then the Old One will awaken.
-The monster limit is 11. Any monsters in excess of 11 go to the Outskirts and go towards raising the terror level. However, the Outskirts limit is zero. In other words, each monster over the limit of 11 causes the terror level to go up a point. If the number of monsters on the board manages to hit 22 then the Old One awakens
-Whenever a new gate opens on an unstable, unsealed location it spawns two monsters instead of one.
-Considering that the maximum number of allowable gates is less than the number of players, monster surges will spawn 8 monsters (equal to number of players). This is definitely something to keep in mind as if there are already 3 or more monsters on the board this is going to cause the terror level to increase, possibly quite significantly
Last edited by Gryndyl on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 90 times in total.
stessier

Re: Arkham Horror

Post by stessier »

I am intrigued, but it's gonna take me a while to get through those rules. When were you thinking of starting?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
docD

Post by docD »

I'm in, I'd like to play Dexter Drake.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gimme Carolyn Fern.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The Professor please.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I must be seventh on that list... Who do I kill to make 6th? (a la Amy the Cheerleader, Buffy)... ;)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

stessier wrote:I am intrigued, but it's gonna take me a while to get through those rules. When were you thinking of starting?
Pretty quick. Don't worry too much about total rules comprehension-I'm handling most of that behind the scenes and will cheerfully give any info needed as we go along.

There's a review here that has a pretty good 'quick start' summary that should be enough to get you going: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/171 ... ham-horror" target="_blank
stessier

Post by stessier »

Take Chaos first and if there's still room, I'll jump in. I'm only on Page 5, but it sounds neat.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

stessier wrote:Take Chaos first and if there's still room, I'll jump in. I'm only on Page 5, but it sounds neat.
i don't want to steal your spot d00d, it really is pretty simple to play
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

The game can handle seven reasonably well, if you'd both like to play :) I'm willing to push it to 7
stessier

Post by stessier »

Okay, I'm in!
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Egg salad! I will take The Doctor
"Where are you off to?"

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chaosraven wrote:Egg salad! I will take The Doctor
Doctor who?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

is there room for 8?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror-Character Selection in Progress

Post by Remus West »

Someone be the Gangster. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

All character info is posted under the spoiler tag by your name in the first post. This is where all character info is going to be kept and adjusted as the game progresses. You are free to look at each others characters and gear, the spoiler tag is just to keep things tidy.

I've done the equipment draws for the characters that have been selected so far. Naturally, some odd draws came up :D I'd be leery of that doctor...

We are going to go ahead and be insane and do an 8 player game due to demand :D So we're also waiting for confirmation from an 8th player as I move down the sign-up list.

Also, if you've already selected your character, feel free to let me know your initial stat settings (or wait until you see the initial board set-up). For new players: If you look at the character sheets you'll notice that the stats are paired off at the bottom. You'll need to select the grouping for each pair. We'll use Isgrimur's character as an example. If he wants Carolyn's speed to be 2, then Carolyn's sneak will then be set at 1. If he wants a fight of 3 then will is going to be 2.

Each character has a Focus number listed on the card. This is how many spaces you can adjust your stats on each upkeep phase. Carolyn has a focus of 2, meaning that, for example, on her first upkeep phase she could adjust her speed to 0, giving her a sneak of 3. Or she could adjust to speed 1/sneak 2 and fight 4/will 1, etc.
Last edited by Gryndyl on Tue May 18, 2010 10:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Well it's no TARDIS and sonic screwdriver, but it will have to suffice
"Where are you off to?"

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Newcastle wrote:is there room for 8?
/tries to bump to the head of the line
/deletes the PM to lagom
/gives Grund a logical puzzle with infinite solution patterns
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

For those of you who have not played before, check out the board to figure out a couple of moves ahead... Then set your starting stats appropriately based on your plan.
"Where are you off to?"

Lars

Post by Lars »

Remus West wrote:Someone be the Gangster. :D
Done and done.

I'll take Michael McGlen. I've never got to play as him before; I have a friend that is a gangster/mob fanatic, and always takes him every game. Now's my big chance! :wink:
Finalgenesis

Post by Finalgenesis »

Monterey Jack here, if you got more space. Elder signs would be useful.

Edit: Just noted the 8th spot have been spoken for :cry:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sister Mary please!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:Sister Mary please!
Oooooh. You'll look good in a habit. You sexy beast. :P
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:
stessier wrote:Sister Mary please!
Oooooh. You'll look good in a habit. You sexy beast. :P
Being a product of Catholic schooling, and not having an option for a character in a plaid skirt, the choice was simple. ;)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Hey!!

Bob Jenkins, the Salesman is the name. Let me talk to you about a great opportunity to own your own tar ball collector.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, all the details and equipment for the characters selected so far is up. DocD and Scoop have equipment decisions to make-details on their respective characters.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Set me to:

Speed 3
Sneak 0

Fight 0
Will 3

Lore 5
Luck 2
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Speed/Sneak: 2/1
Fight/Will: 3/2
Lore/Luck: 4/3
stessier

Post by stessier »

What type of check is Luck generally used for? I just finished the rules, but I'm having trouble finding that one.

***NOT OFFICIAL YET***

I think I want

Sneak: 2
Speed: 3

Fight: 0
Will: 4

Lore: 4
Luck: 3

***NOT OFFICIAL YET***

Any suggestions would be welcome. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:What type of check is Luck generally used for? I just finished the rules, but I'm having trouble finding that one.
Page 12, lower left corner

"Luck: Used to determine the whims of chance. It is the most common skill used in encounters."

Page 13 has an example in the first and second columns.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:
stessier wrote:What type of check is Luck generally used for? I just finished the rules, but I'm having trouble finding that one.
Page 12, lower left corner

"Luck: Used to determine the whims of chance. It is the most common skill used in encounters."

Page 13 has an example in the first and second columns.
Ahhh, okay. So beyond the specific skill checks (Evade, Horror, Combat, & Spell), an encounter frequently calls for a Luck check as well. Is that correct?

Since my Focus is only a 1, maybe it is better to start on

Lore: 2
Luck: 5

That should give me good odds in the randomness category, but still let me roll for my spell if something goes horribly wrong and I actually get into combat.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Luck rolls usually come up as part of encounters for situations that don't fall under the other skills. It comes up reasonably often and being able to make the roll when it does usually nets a pretty decent reward.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

essentially you move somewhere, do something, and have an encounter. having a low focus means you don't adjust quickly to changing board conditions (the MONSTERS)
"Where are you off to?"

docD

Post by docD »

Here's my initial setup:

Move 4
Sneak 2

Fight 2
Will 2

Lore 5
Luck 0

I'll ditch enchant weapon and keep voice of Ra and Find Gate.

My plan is to spend my first turn at the magic shop to buy some more spells and then to move towards the asylum to help keep me sane.

And my name is Dresdin not Drake dammit.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, we have our eight players!

I'll have the initial board and Mythos turn posted pretty soon.

The Great Old One that you're up against is Nyarlathotep

Having a reserve of clues should he awaken will be critical to surviving the end fight.

Starting now I'll be PMing individual players if there is a pressing decision for them to make so that they don't get lost amongst the thread posts.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Okay, Sister Mary goes with

Speed: 2
Sneak: 3

Fight: 0
Will: 4

Lore: 2
Luck: 5
Gryndyl

Re: Arkham Horror-Start of Game

Post by Gryndyl »

GAME START

The Man in Black
(Mystic Environment)

A mysterious Man in Black has appeared in the streets of French Hill.
Investigators who end their movement in the streets of French Hill may deal with the Man in Black to gain power. Investigators doing so roll dice equal to their current Sanity. For every failed die they will lose 1 Sanity. If this reduces them to 0 they are DEVOURED (character is perma-killed and you'll need to start from scratch with a new one). A success gains you a clue token and a spell. The Man in Black is represented on the gameboard by the red square with the black figure in it.

A gate has opened in The Witch House. A shoggoth oozes forth from it followed by a zombie who shambles its way into the French Hill streets...perhaps to speak with the Man in Black?

A new clue has appeared in The Black Cave

Game board for start of game:

Enlarge Image

NEED:

Initial skill settings from: Scoop20906
Equipment decisions from: Scoop20906
Move declarations from: Scoop20906

Turn 1 Move order:
Isgrimnur
Scoop 20906
Remus West
Lars
DocD
Chaosraven
Stessier
Semaj

GM commentary:

I quite like that in a game with Nyarlathotep as the Great Old One that the Man in Black (an aspect of Nyarlathotep) decided to show up at the start of the game. Offering Investigators a chance to risk their minds in order to gain an inkling of power to resist him? That is SO Nyarlathotep :twisted:
Last edited by Gryndyl on Wed May 19, 2010 2:10 am, edited 7 times in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Could you use the Big Image tag on the boards?

I was left out of the move order - between Chaos and Semaj.

Anyone have a suggestion on where I should head? I have no money to buy spells or anything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

=> Downtown => Independence Square
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

stessier wrote:Could you use the Big Image tag on the boards?

I was left out of the move order - between Chaos and Semaj.

Anyone have a suggestion on where I should head? I have no money to buy spells or anything.
Fixed.

As a general rule of thumb, the beginning of the game is a good time to start trying to collect as many clues as possible. Clues can be used to seal gates and will also be vital should Nyarlathotep awaken. Another good option is always to jump right on top of doing some monster control.

You may also wish to try and improve your money situation. An encounter at the Newspaper has a chance of netting you a Retainer which will provide you with an income each turn.