Cask of Amontillado (WW) - Pre-discussion & sign-ups

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Lagom Lite

Re: Cask of Amontillado (WW) - Pre-discussion & sign-ups

Post by Lagom Lite »

msteelers wrote:All infected players die when the red death is unmasked. Once the red death is unmasked, players die as soon as they are infected.
This is correct.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I've never played this type of game before but if you're interested in having a complete noob, I'm in :)
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Vorret wrote:I've never played this type of game before but if you're interested in having a complete noob, I'm in :)
Certainly! Welcome! :)
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Kenetickid

Post by Kenetickid »

I read through the rules and all the comments so far and I will admit that the Red death may be a bit over powered, but he has to be the limiting factor. The red death is the reason that the game will only last a number of turns equal to the players.

I love the concept and would love to be INcluded in what looks like a exciting twist.
The world is a swirling maelstrom of death and decay. It's inhabitants feed upon each other in a vile feast of flesh and blood. We should all live this way because it is the way of the universe that the strong survive and the weak PERISH!

Remember, Cthulhu saves too...........He just saves you for last.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Alright people, Newcastle's James Bond game is at an end (SPECTRE conquered the world, if anyone's interested) - so this game will be underway shortly.

I am starting a new thread for the game; please go here.
Is there anyone in hell?

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

In
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

If you do not get 2 more then put me down. It will be mid next week before I could put any effort into the game though.

or if there is no min or max to players put me down as in. I'll get around to reading the rules and playing eventually...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Lassr wrote:If you do not get 2 more then put me down. It will be mid next week before I could put any effort into the game though.

or if there is no min or max to players put me down as in. I'll get around to reading the rules and playing eventually...
There's no min/max really. I've signed you up.
Is there anyone in hell?

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

* SNEAK down to the wine cellar to bring up a Cask of Amontillado. This is only successful if you are not targeted by Montresor AND no other player is successfully SNEAKING this Hour.
Question here.

Is that part in red actually ever under consideration?

I mean, How is one player poised to SNEAK successfully - but only thwarted by another player successfully SNEAKING.

Is there some mechanism where 1 person 'beats the other into the cellar' and gets to SNEAK, but the other fella failed because another player was successful?
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Unagi wrote:Question here.

I mean, How is one player poised to SNEAK successfully - but only thwarted by another player successfully SNEAKING.

Is there some mechanism where 1 person 'beats the other into the cellar' and gets to SNEAK, but the other fella failed because another player was successful?
Yes, Montresor can complicate things by disrupting a Sneak of a single Noble, by targeting him for Mingling.

Let's say 2 Nobles decide to Sneak.
Noble A Sneaks.
Noble B Sneaks.
Collision, both fail.

Let's say 2 Nobles decide to Sneak, but Montresor targeted Noble B for Mingling.
Noble A Sneaks.
Noble B is disrupted by Montresor.
Noble A succeeds!

Let's say 3 Nobles decide to Sneak, but Montresor targeted Noble B for Mingling.
Noble A Sneaks.
Noble B is disrupted by Montresor.
Noble C Sneaks.
Collision, both fail.
Is there anyone in hell?

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lagom Lite wrote:

Yes, Montresor can complicate things by disrupting a Sneak of a single Noble, by targeting him for Mingling.
Oh, OK - I think the thing that threw me was the word "successfully"

It is just as accurate to say:
This is only successful if you are not targeted by Montresor AND no other player is successfully SNEAKING this Hour.
AHA, but no - you did indeed mean what you said... you simply meant: "successfully SNEAKING" = "Not Being Mingled with, by Montresor"

And that two people "successfully SNEAKING" can still thwart eachother's otherwise successful SNEAK.

got it.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Unagi wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote:

Oh, OK - I think the thing that threw me was the word "successfully"

It is just as accurate to say:
This is only successful if you are not targeted by Montresor AND no other player is successfully SNEAKING this Hour.
AHA, but no - you did indeed mean what you said... you simply meant: "successfully SNEAKING" = "Not Being Mingled with, by Montresor"

And that two people "successfully SNEAKING" can still thwart eachother's otherwise successful SNEAK.

got it.
Yes, that's how I intended. Is the phrasing weird? Could it be altered? Suggestions?
Is there anyone in hell?

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lagom Lite wrote:Yes, that's how I intended. Is the phrasing weird? Could it be altered? Suggestions?
I think you said it pretty well. You probably could leave out the 'successful' word - and it would be just as good.... In that - from one person's chair - Sneak Works if: They aren't held up by Montresor and no one else is Sneaking. (The finer point that someone else did actually try to sneak but was thwarted by Montresor Mingle, would be a blind event to the player trying to sneak...) I think you are fine leaving it that way too. It just seemed to hint to me that there were maybe additional ways (more than just Montresor) that would stop 1 player from Sneaking but another would be 'successful'.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Sign-ups are closed.

The Red Plague has struck Italy!
Is there anyone in hell?

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lagom Lite wrote:Sign-ups are closed.

it's a sloooow death.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lagom Lite wrote:Sign-ups are closed.

Maybe The Red Plague just gently stroked Italy on the cheek until it fell asleep!