The Cask of Amontillado (WW) - Game Over!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Lagom Lite

The Cask of Amontillado (WW) - Game Over!

Post by Lagom Lite »

The Cask of Amontillado

”The ’Red Death’ had long devastated the country. No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or so hideous. Blood was its Avatar and its seal – the redness and the horror of blood. There were sharp pains, and sudden dizziness, and then profuse bleeding at the pores, with dissolution. The scarlet stains upon the body and especially upon the face of the victim, were the pest ban which shut him out from the aid and from the sympathy of his fellow-men. And the whole seizure, progress and termination of the disease, were the incidents of half an hour.

But the Baron Montresor was dauntless. When his village was half depopulated, he summoned to his presence his most light-hearted friends from among the neighboring noble families, and with these retired to a private masquerade in the seclusion of his well-guarded Palazzo. The external world could take care of itself. In the meantime it was folly to grieve, or to think. The Baron had provided all the appliances of pleasure. There were buffons, there were improvisatori, there were ballet-dancers, there were musicians, there was Beauty, there was wine. All these and security were within. Without was the ’Red Death.’”

The Cask of Amontillado is a modified Werewolf game about allegiance, betrayal and grim death in old Italy. The setting is based on the short stories ”The Cask of Amontillado” and ”The Masque of the Red Death” by Edgar Allan Poe. Much of the flavor text are direct or modified quotes from these tales.

The game is divided into ”Hours” and ”Toasts”. Every Hour, each player must decide whether to mingle, conspire, court or spy. Every Toast, players must vote to have someone unmasked – and pray that the Red Death doesn’t show itself. The nobility’s only chance of survival is to rub shoulders with the right people at the right time, as only two noblemen at the Palazzo possess the means of escape. But only one of these two men will survive…

The game begins with the First Hour, and ends with the Last Toast.

CAST OF CHARACTERS

Montresor
”The thousand injuries of Fortunato you have borne as best you could, but when he ventured upon insult you vowed revenge. At length you will be avenged; this is a point definitely settled – but the very definitiveness with which it will be resolved preclude the idea of risk. You must not only punish but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.

It must be understood that neither by word or deed have you given Fortunato cause to doubt your good will. You continue, as is your wont, to smile in his face, and he does not perceive that your smile now is at the thought of his immolation.”

Victory Condition: Exact vengeance upon Fortunato.

Each Hour, Montresor may:
* MINGLE with a target player of your choice.

If your target is only targeted by you this hour, you are ALONE with your target and will learn his role (Noble, Fortunato, the Red Death).

If your target is trying to SNEAK into the cellar, he will notice that you are on to him and will cease his burglary. You are not notified if you interrupt a SNEAK this way, and the target is not told why he failed.

If Montresor is ALONE with Fortunato AND has PREVIOUSLY learned his identity, Montresor will EXACT VENGEANCE upon Fortunato, triggering Montresor’s victory condition. Upon this, Montresor will escape the Palazzo through the secret catacombs, together with any Nobles who got on his good side.

Fortunato
”Few Italians have the true virtuoso spirit. For the most part their enthusiasm is adopted to suit the time and opportunity, to practice imposture upon the British and Austrian millionaires. You, Fortunato, pride yourself on your conoisseurship in wine. In this matter you are sincere.

But other things draw you to Montresor’s masquerade. You have studied forbidden old tomes and ancient lore. The Red Death may be overcome by other, unlooked-for means. In the deep wisdom of occult Kabbala you have found strange keys to the realm of death and blood. There may be things they want. And the final clue lies in Montresor’s Palazzo.”

Victory Condition: Strike a deal with the Red Death.

Each Hour, Fortunato may:

If your target is only targeted by you this hour, you are ALONE with your target and will learn his role (Noble, Montresor, the Red Death).

If Fortunato is ALONE with the Red Death AND has PREVIOUSLY learned his identity, Fortunato will STRIKE A DEAL with the Red Death, triggering Fortunato’s victory condition. Upon this, Fortunato will leave the Palazzo, together with any Nobles who got on his good side.

The Red Death

”The ’Red Death’ has long devastated the country. No pestilence has ever been so fatal, or so hideous. Blood is your Avatar and your seal – the redness and the horror of blood. There are sharp pains, and sudden dizziness, and then profuse bleeding at the pores, with dissolution. The scarlet stains upon the body and especially upon the face of the victim, are the pest ban which shut him out from the aid and from the sympathy of his fellow-men. And the whole seizure, progress and termination of the disease, are the incidents of half an hour.”

Victory Condition: Kill every living soul in the Palazzo. Don’t let anyone escape.

Each Hour, the Red Death MUST:
* INFECT a currently uninfected player of your choice with the Red Plague.

Infecting a player has no effect as long as the Red Death is MASKED. Infected players are not told when they are infected. Should the Red Death ever become UNMASKED, all infected players will DIE INSTANTLY and any subsequent infections will KILL INSTANTLY.

A player who is KILLED by the Red Plague will become UNMASKED.

Infected players who escape the Palazzo before the Red Death is UNMASKED, will survive.

The Red Death does not need to be ALONE with his target for his infection to succeed.

Infecting a player does not interfere with MINGLING.

11 Nobles

”While the lesser plebeians of Italian stock die in droves outside the gates, you have been fortunate enough to get yourself invited to Montresor’s fabulous masquerade in his Grand Palazzo. Some of your family warned you against him; indeed – he is an excentric old curmudgeon, but then much of your family died in pain while your open mind was rewarded.

However, you are not sure Montresor can keep you entirely safe. Rumors abound of the hedonist Fortunato and his delvings into strange literature. Fortunato has seen such prosperity in his life that it can scarcely be believed that certain external powers did not have a hand in providing it. Proving your friendship to either of these gentlemen is an act of prudence.”

Victory Condition: Survive the masquerade by getting on Montresor’s or Fortunato’s good side.

Each Hour, a Noble may choose to do one of the following:

* SNEAK down to the wine cellar to fill up a Bottle of Amontillado from the Cask of Amontillado. This is only successful if you are not targeted by Montresor AND no other player is successfully SNEAKING this Hour.

If your target is only targeted by you this hour, you are ALONE with your target and will learn his role (Noble, Fortunato, Montresor, the Red Death).

If you have stolen a Bottle of Amontillado you will automatically and for the rest of the game treat everyone you MINGLE with to a goblet of Montresor’s outstanding Amontillado, even if you are not ALONE with them. If you are not ALONE with your target, those players targeting your target will receive a goblet of Amontillado as well, and will be notified of this. If you manage to treat Fortunato with a goblet of Amontillado, you get on Fortunato’s good side, as well as learning his identity. Fortunato will be told your identity.

If you have previously learned about Fortunato’s identity AND Fortunato is currently MASKED AND you are ALONE with Montresor, you will tell Montresor about Fortunato’s identity and get on Montresor’s good side. Montresor will be told your and Fortunato’s identity.

MECHANICS OF MINGLING

* Each player decides what to do each Hour by sending a PM to the Moderator, containing the name of the desired action (Mingle, Sneak, Infect, Abstain) and the name of the target player, if any. Once an order is sent, it is final, so take your time.

* Hour turn sequence:
1. Nobles, Fortunato and Montresor MINGLE and SNEAK.
2. Nobles get on someone’s good side, if eligible.
3. Fortunato triggers his victory condition, if eligible.
4. Montresor triggers his victory condition, if eligible.
5. The Red Death INFECTS.
6. The Red Death triggers his victory condition, if eligible.

* Posting in the game thread during Hours is allowed and encouraged.

* To determine whether or not you are ALONE with a player while mingling, only the number of players targeting your target is considered. If none, one or several players target YOU, and you target BOB whom no one else targeted, you have been ALONE with BOB. If one or more players targeted BOB as well, however, you have not been ALONE with BOB.

* The only notification a target of mingling will ever receive is if the target is Montresor or Fortunato and the action resulted in the mingler getting on their good side.

* There is an unlimited supply of Bottles of Amontillado in the cellar, but you only need to charm Fortunato once to get on his good side.

* If BOB and MIKE both SNEAK into the cellar at the same time but MIKE is targeted by Montresor, BOB will successfully steal a Cask of Amontillado.

* It is possible to get on both Montresor’s and Fortunato’s good sides – one does not exclude the other (as long as you keep quiet about it!).

* Even if Fortunato has already had a goblet of Amontillado, he won’t say no to another.

* Goblets of Amontillado are instantly consumed upon reception. With the exception of Fortunato, players are not told the identity of the player presenting them with Amontillado.

* Even if Montresor already knows Fortunato’s identity, he will appreciate the gesture – unless Fortunato’s identity is already public knowledge.

* Red Plague infection does not interfere with MINGLING.

A TOAST, SIGNORI!

* After each Hour, the guests of the Palazzo must raise their glasses and Toast to the good health of one player. Each player may vote to Toast to the health of (player name) using (accuse) tags.

* When majority is reached, the toastee UNMASKS himself to receive the praise. This REVEALS HIS ROLE TO ALL (Nobleman, Montresor, Fortunato, the Red Death).

* If the the Red Death is UNMASKED, any player that is currently INFECTED with the Red Plague will DIE.

* You may only Toast to a currently MASKED player.

* No player may self-vote.

* When a victory condition is triggered, the game ends. Any player who is not included in the triggered victory condition lose the game.

Last edited by Lagom Lite on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:19 am, edited 15 times in total.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Re: The Cask of Amontillado (WW) - Starting soon

Post by Lagom Lite »

PLAYERS

1. Isgrimnur
2. theohall
3. Chaosraven
4. Grundbegriff
5. Newcastle
6. msteelers
7. Qantaga
8. rshetts2
9. redrun
10. Vorret
11. Kenetickid
12. Unagi
13. Remus West
14. Lassr
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

If you want to join and don't see your name in the above listing, please post within the next couple of days. I'll start this up on Friday.

A few notes:
* I'm Swedish, as such, I'm on a different time zone than most of you. It'll be night here when it's afternoon in the States. Just so you know, if I'm ignoring you it's not because I find you boring but because I'm asleep. :)
* Feel free to ask me questions, either through a Private Message to me or by coloring the question red in this thread.
* Player names in flavor text are randomized. You shouldn't be able to tell anything about someone's role based on that.
* Spoiler forums will be available at http://ooww.freeforums.org once Newcastle gives me the keys. You can register right away, but I will only enable you to see Spoilers when you're out of the game, at your request.
Is there anyone in hell?

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm IN. :coffee:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Unagi wrote:I'm IN. :coffee:
The wrong thread that is. :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Remus West wrote:
Unagi wrote:I'm IN. :coffee:
The wrong thread that is. :P
Both is ok. ;)
Is there anyone in hell?

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Since I've never done anything like this before, can someone post or pm me a quick walkthrough on what's going to happend?

I mean, I understand the point of the game, I've read some others where people chatted about what was going on and such but never really paid much attention since I wasn't in it.

Just a quick FAQ or something on these type of game :)

Thanks!
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Vorret wrote:Since I've never done anything like this before, can someone post or pm me a quick walkthrough on what's going to happend?

I mean, I understand the point of the game, I've read some others where people chatted about what was going on and such but never really paid much attention since I wasn't in it.

Just a quick FAQ or something on these type of game :)

Thanks!
Well, post your questions and we'll try to answer as best we can!

Usually, these games are about hiding ones identity and finding the "bad guys". The bad guys, who know about each other and can communicate, then decide to kill a player. After this, the whole group of players try to reach a majority vote to "lynch" someone, hoping to hit a bad guy (or "wolf").

This game is a variant of this however. The majority votes, called "Toasts", only reveals your role to everybody, and the only bad guy (The Red Death) will not be able to kill anyone until he is unmasked by a Toast. Before each Toast, each player must choose what to do during what's called an "Hour", and I as moderator will let everyone know when all orders are in so you can move on to a Toast. When someone has been Toasted for, we move on to the next Hour and so on until someone wins.

I will randomize all roles and send out via Private Message (PM). You will receive a notification of your role. Keep this information to yourself. You may, like every other player, post and participate in this thread, conspire, plot and make deals, and then send me a PM when you've decided what you want to do this Hour. The game starts with the first Hour.
Is there anyone in hell?

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Thanks, that does explain a bit!

I don't have a clear question really, mostly I'm wondering how things will progress but I guess I'll learn as the game goes on :)

I'll make a quick exemple,

Player A and B are bad guys
Player C,D,E,F are "good" guys

Do player A and B have to agree
And player C,D,E,F also have to agree on one person to kill/lynch or Player F can vote for Player A and Player E can vote for player B ?
Isgrimnur wrote:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Vorret wrote:I'll make a quick exemple,

And player C,D,E,F also have to agree on one person to kill/lynch or Player F can vote for Player A and Player E can vote for player B ?
The whole "A and B are bad guys" speaks more to a normal game of WW. This game 'the bad guys' (just 1 really...) is on his own.
Typically - in a normal WW game - the bad guys (A and B) come to an agreement on whom they should 'kill' over their Werewolf Night Phase... (sometimes one wolf is actually the one given the 'power to chose', but even then - an Alpha wolf will tend to ask for support and accordance with his packmates...)

Regarding the good guys "C,D,E,F"... first - it's a vote during the day, so it's Majority that wins. second, keep in mind that your Bad Guys (A and B) are also pretending to be Good Guys and get to vote at well.

All that being said - this game is very unique - and really doesn't have a normal layout. I think we are all about to find out 'how things will progress'.
:D
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Unagi wrote:
Vorret wrote:I'll make a quick exemple,

The whole "A and B are bad guys" speaks more to a normal game of WW. This game 'the bad guys' (just 1 really...) is on his own.
Typically - in a normal WW game - the bad guys (A and B) come to an agreement on whom they should 'kill' over their Werewolf Night Phase... (sometimes one wolf is actually the one given the 'power to chose', but even then - an Alpha wolf will tend to ask for support and accordance with his packmates...)

Regarding the good guys "C,D,E,F"... first - it's a vote during the day, so it's Majority that wins. second, keep in mind that your Bad Guys (A and B) are also pretending to be Good Guys and get to vote at well.

All that being said - this game is very unique - and really doesn't have a normal layout. I think we are all about to find out 'how things will progress'.
:D
Thanks that pretty much summed it up for me :)
Can't wait to start!
Isgrimnur wrote:
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Sign-ups are closed.

Randomizing roles...
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Roles are out. Game will start once everyone has picked up their PM.

The Red Plague has struck Italy!
Is there anyone in hell?

redrun

Post by redrun »

Lagom Lite wrote: The Red Plague has struck Italy!
Sheltered inside from the cold of the snow
Follow me now to the vault down below
Drinking the wine as we laugh at the time
Which is passing incredibly slow
Sufficient I am to the day.
theohall

Re: The Cask of Amontillado (WW) - Starting up!

Post by theohall »

:coffee:
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

redrun wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote: The Red Plague has struck Italy!
Sheltered inside from the cold of the snow
Follow me now to the vault down below
Drinking the wine as we laugh at the time
Which is passing incredibly slow

Gratuitous Alan Parson reference..... I approve! I heartily recommend listening to Alan Parson's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Alan Poe" to set yourself for the proper mood.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Lagom Lite

Re: The Cask of Amontillado (WW) - First Hour

Post by Lagom Lite »

THE FIRST HOUR

"It was while the pestilence raged most furiously abroad, that the Baron Montresor entertained his friends at a masked ball of the most unusual magnificence.

It was a voluptuous scene, that masquerade. But first let me tell of the rooms in which it was held. There were seven – an imperial suite. In many Palazzos, however, such suites form a long and straight vista, while the olding doors slide back nearly to the walls on either hand, so that the view of the whole extent is scarcely impeded. Here the case was very different; as might have been expected from the Baron’s love of the bizarre.

The apartments were so irregularly disposed that the vision embraced but little more than one at a time. There was a sharp turn at every twenty or thirty yards, and at each turn a novel effect. To the right and left, in the middle of each wall, a tall and narrow Gothic window looked out upon a closed corridor which pursued the windings of the suite. These windows were of stained glass whose color varied in accordance with the prevailing hue of the decorations of the chamber into which it opened. That at the eastern extremity was hung, for example, in blue – and vividly blue were its windows.

The second chamber was purple in its ornaments and tapestries, and here the panes were purple. The third was green throughout, and so were the casements. The fourth was furnished and lighted with orange – the fifth with white – the sixth with violet. The seventh apartment was closely shrouded in black velvet tapestries that hung all over the ceiling and down the walls, falling in heavy folds upon a carpet of the same material and hue. But in this chamber only, the color of the windows failed to correspond with the decorations. The panes here were scarlet – a deep blood color.

Now in no one of the seven apartments was there any lamp or candelabrum, amid the profusion of golden ornaments that lay scattered to and fro or depended from the roof. There was no light of any kind emanating from lamp or candle within the suite of chambers. But in the corridors that followed the suite, there stood, opposite to each window, a heavy tripod, bearing a brazier of fire that projected its rays through the tinted glass and so glaringly illuminated the room. And thus were produced a multitude of gaudy and fantastic appearances. But in the western or black chamber the effect of the fire-light that streamed upon the dark hangings through the blood-tinted panes, was ghastly in the extreme, and produced so wild a look upon the countenances of those who entered, that there were few of the company bold enough to set foot with its precincts at all.

It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony."

Nobles, will you Mingle with a player or Sneak into the cellar?
Montresor, will you Mingle with a player?
Fortunato, will you Mingle with a player?
Red Death, which player will you Infect?

Please send your Orders in a PM to the Moderator.
Please note Orders are final and you can’t change your mind once I’ve received the PM.

Players remaining:
1. Isgrimnur
2. theohall
3. Chaosraven
4. Grundbegriff
5. Newcastle
6. msteelers
7. Qantaga
8. rshetts2
9. redrun
10. Vorret
11. Kenetickid
12. Unagi
13. Remus West
14. Lassr

Special Note: Since this is the first game of its kind, and we have many new players, I will advise you this once: Do not send in your first Order to me right away. Instead, take your time, discuss with one another in the thread and lay out plans on how to proceed, and try to get into the ruleset; and only then send in your Order once you feel confident about it. Do not rush. If you have questions about the rules, either PM me the question or color the question red in this thread, and I will answer to the best of my ability. Good luck, and have fun!

Is there anyone in hell?

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Lagom Lite wrote:there was wine.

Mmmmm. Yummy.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

so this game, like on or something...hic...i mean...dont we get to start drinking or something...all i know i need more vino!
/stumbles away
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

:pop:
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So yeah - thinking I'd love to sneak into the cellar, but clearly - many would...

So, do we try and actually - like - plan something?
theohall

Post by theohall »

The trick is going to be planning something openly, and yet, still getting to rub elbows with the bluebloods.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Montresor

(1.) Learn Fortunato's identity:
(1a.) Mingle with Fortunato (or)
(1b.) Be targeted successfully by someone who knows Fortunato's identity

(2.) Mingle with Fortunato

Fortunato

(1.) Strike a Deal with the Red Death:
(1a.) Mingle with the Red Death to learn his identity (and)
(1b.) Mingle with the Red Death

Red Death

(1.) Kill everyone:
(1a.) Infect everyone (and)
(1b.) Be exposed

Noble

(1.) Befriend Fortunato:
(1a.) Acquire Amontillado (and)
(1b.) Mingle either with Fortunato or with someone Fortunato successfully targets

(2.) Befriend Montresor:
(2a.) Mingle with (or actually befriend) Fortunato (and)
(2b.) Mingle with Montresor
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote:So yeah - thinking I'd love to sneak into the cellar, but clearly - many would...

So, do we try and actually - like - plan something?
maybe we have a lottery to see who gets to go to the cellar the first night.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I hope I have this right. If you think I'm misinterpreting something, please speak up!

Meanwhile, let's think about each of these in turn.
Grundbegriff wrote:Montresor

(1.) Learn Fortunato's identity:
(1a.) Mingle with Fortunato (or)
(1b.) Be targeted successfully by someone who knows Fortunato's identity

(2.) Mingle with Fortunato
Montresor has to accomplish two goals: to learn which player is Fortunato, and to mingle with Fortunato at a time when nobody else is mingling with Fortunato.

Learning which player is Fortunato can occur in one (or both) of two ways: (1a.) Montresor mingles a first time with Fortunato when nobody else is doing so, or (1b.) A Noble who knows Fortunato mingles with Montresor when nobody else is mingling with Montresor.

Either (1a.) or (1b.) will satisfy (1.), and satisfaction of (1.) is a condition of achieving (2.).

Montresor has no incentive to prevent the theft of his wine, and an incentive to allow it, since people armed with Amontillado might be able to reveal Fortunato to him.

Suppose that when Montresor has achieved (1.), he openly declares his intent to mingle with Fortunato so that any friends of Montresor who want to win with him will refrain from doing so. Of course, if Montresor were to do this, then Nobles who have befriended Fortunato but not Montresor might jump to Fortunato's defense by mingling with him. This means that an open declaration of "Victory -1" by Montresor would be self-defeating. Look instead for him to notify his friends by more subtle means.
Fortunato

(1.) Strike a Deal with the Red Death:
(1a.) Mingle with the Red Death to learn his identity (and)
(1b.) Mingle with the Red Death
Fortunato has to accomplish two goals: to learn which player is the Red Death, and then to strike a deal with the Red Death.

Since the only way for Fortunato to learn which player is the Red Death is to mingle with that player when nobody else is doing so, (1a.) reduces to "Mingle with the Red Death". So (1a.) is successful mingling with the Red Death, and (1b.) is successful mingling (again) with the Red Death, and together they achieve (1.).

Fortunato has only one way to avoid detection: as soon as one Noble discovers Fortunato, the Noble who finds Fortunato continues to mingle with Fortunato for the rest of the game (thereby preventing everyone else from mingling with Fortunato). This minimizes Fortunato's exposure. But a Noble has no incentive to help Fortunato in this way unless Fortunato can afford him protection; and Fortunato can only protect someone who has given him Amontillado. So the optimum arrangement for keeping Fortunato hidden is a pact: the first Noble to give him Amontillado also continues to mingle with Fortunato for the remainder of the game.

I see no downside to that arrangement for Fortunato and the Noble who Amontilladifies him, so I expect that something like this will occur.
Red Death

(1.) Kill everyone:
(1a.) Infect everyone (and)
(1b.) Be exposed
Since there's no way to defuse the Red Death (other than to win before the Red Death wins), the Red Death does not require much strategy. Dealing with the Red Death, however, requires some thought.

Outing the Red Death without a Toast
One issue worth pondering is whether it matters that the Red Death remain hidden. Nothing can prevent his infection. However, those he has infected stay alive until he is unmasked. So it is to the advantage of Montresor and his affiliates to keep the Red Death hidden: the more time there is, and the more people there are, the more likely it is that someone will reveal Fortunato to Montresor. On the other hand, it is to the advantage of Fortunato and his affiliates to expose the Red Death: the less time there is, and the fewer people there are, the less likely it is that someone will reveal Fortunato to Montresor.

This contrast raises a number of interesting tactical considerations: If Fortunato or a Friend-of-Fortunato exposes the Red Death, then either Montresor or a Friend-of-Montresor (or both) will start mingling with the Red Death and will continue to do so until the end of the game in order to prevent Fortunato from being alone with the Red Death. On balance, the risk of this blockage outweighs the value of limiting Team Montresor's time. So Fortunato and his affiliates will probably not reveal the Red Death if they find him. This means that despite the contrary incentives mentioned in the previous paragraph, it's unlikely that anyone will reveal the Red Death.

Red Death Toast Avoidance
Since nobody knows whom the Red Death will infect, it's to nobody's advantage to Toast the Red Death. As soon as he's unmasked, those he has infected will die, and if that set comprises Montresor and Fortunato, the game is over. On the other hand, the only way to certainly avoid unmasking the Red Death (thus buying more time for the infected, whoever they may be) is to warn people. And warning people-- exposing the identity of the Red Death-- takes us back to the previous paragraph: Team Montresor will start mingling with the Red Death until there's a reason to do otherwise. So Team Fortunato has an incentive not to warn about the Red Death, and Team Montresor has an incentive to warn about the Red Death.
Noble

(1.) Befriend Fortunato:
(1a.) Acquire Amontillado (and)
(1b.) Mingle either with Fortunato or with someone Fortunato successfully targets

(2.) Befriend Montresor:
(2a.) Mingle with Fortunato (and)
(2b.) Mingle with Montresor
A Noble has to accomplish one goal: find a coach out of Dodge before it's too late. This may be achieved by doing (1a.) or (1b.) in order to achieve (1.). This may also be achieved by either mingling with or actually befriending Fortunato and then mingling with Montresor.

The path (2a, 2b) is much easier than the path (1, 2b).
The path (2a, 2b) is much easier than the path (1a, 1b) and therefore the path (2a, 2b) is much easier than the path (1.)
On the whole, then, it's easier to befriend Montresor than to befriend Fortunato.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

awesome write up Grund! That really helps. With so many variants to this game it was hard to focus on what actually has to be done to succeed. I am a bit curious as to what value the Amontillado really has. Is it worth spending turns to try for it, when it seems the actual opportunity to get it is extremely remote and with the Red Death always just a turn away from exposure? Is it really worth the risk?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Patch Notes 1.03

ADDED
* A player who is KILLED by the Red Plague will become UNMASKED.

CLARIFICATIONS
* Players are no longer required to lug around a 100-pund Cask to get on Fortunato's good side. Filling a Bottle will suffice.
* Edgar Allan Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death" and "The Cask of Amontillado" are short stories, not novels.
* Players who are treated to a goblet of Amontillado will be told "You have been treated to a goblet of Amontillado!". Mmm, tasty!
Is there anyone in hell?

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Grundbegriff wrote:Since the only way for Fortunato to learn which player is the Red Death is to mingle with that player when nobody else is doing so
Fortunato could also learn the Red Deaths identity if he is toasted and unmasked.
Since nobody knows whom the Red Death will infect, it's to nobody's advantage to Toast the Red Death. As soon as he's unmasked, those he has infected will die, and if that set comprises Montresor and Fortunato, the game is over.
Actually, I believe only Fortunato needs to be killed for the game to be over. Montresor cannot trigger his victory condition if Fortunato is killed, but Fortunato can trigger his victory condition if Montresor dies.
The path (2a, 2b) is much easier than the path (1, 2b).
The path (2a, 2b) is much easier than the path (1a, 1b) and therefore the path (2a, 2b) is much easier than the path (1.)
On the whole, then, it's easier to befriend Montresor than to befriend Fortunato.
Agree, although I think it's worth pointing out that while the path (2a, 2b) is the easiest path to accomplish, path (1, 2b) gives the noble the best chance to win. So trying to sneak into the cellar might be worth the extra risk.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Now that the paths are laid out, the conundrum still remains - accomplishing any of those paths without tripping over each other in the process.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

theohall wrote:Now that the paths are laid out, the conundrum still remains - accomplishing any of those paths without tripping over each other in the process.
Would there be any benefit in openly splitting the nobles into two groups: those that want to attempt to sneak into the cellar, and those that don't?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Lagom Lite wrote: Montresor

If your target is only targeted by you this hour, you are ALONE with your target and will learn his role (Noble, Fortunato, the Red Death).

If your target is trying to SNEAK into the cellar, he will notice that you are on to him and will cease his burglary. You are not notified if you interrupt a SNEAK this way, and the target is not told why he failed.
Is it only Montresor's successful (i.e., role-revealing) mingle that interrupts sneaking? Or does any Montresorian mingle (even co-mingling) interrupt sneaking?

In other words, which of the following is/are true?
(A) Bubba tries to sneak. Nobody else tries to sneak. Montresor selects Bubba. Nobody else selects Bubba. Outcome: Montresor prevents Bubba from sneaking.
(B) Bubba tries to sneak. Nobody else tries to sneak. Montresor selects Bubba. Fortunato selects Bubba. Outcome: Montresor prevents Bubba from sneaking.

Also: Is the outcome affected if Darius also tries to sneak under A? under B?
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote: Montresor

Is it only Montresor's successful (i.e., role-revealing) mingle that interrupts sneaking? Or does any Montresorian mingle (even co-mingling) interrupt sneaking?

In other words, which of the following is/are true?
(A) Bubba tries to sneak. Nobody else tries to sneak. Montresor selects Bubba. Nobody else selects Bubba. Outcome: Montresor prevents Bubba from sneaking.
(B) Bubba tries to sneak. Nobody else tries to sneak. Montresor selects Bubba. Fortunato selects Bubba. Outcome: Montresor prevents Bubba from sneaking.

Also: Is the outcome affected if Darius also tries to sneak under A? under B?
Montresor always interrupts Sneaking on the player he targets for Mingling. He does not need to be alone with his target.
Is there anyone in hell?

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

msteelers wrote:
theohall wrote:Now that the paths are laid out, the conundrum still remains - accomplishing any of those paths without tripping over each other in the process.
Would there be any benefit in openly splitting the nobles into two groups: those that want to attempt to sneak into the cellar, and those that don't?
What benefit is there for those not trying to sneak to avoid targeting those trying to sneak? None. Allowing some other Noble to have a better shot at winning does nothing for any individual Noble unless I read something wrong. Each Noble is essentially out for themselves trying to meet and get in the good graces of one of the two people who can get them the heck out of here before they catch the plague. On the other hand, if we all try to Sneak then we all succeed which will make all of us fail. Nor will all of us Sneaking allow us to mingle with anyone to learn their identity and even if we do not have the tools to get in their good graces knowing who is who would be valuable.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

As I noted in the pre-game thread, we could nominate two nobles to try and agree that the rest refrain from theft.

If Montresor mingles elsewhere, the two would cancel each other out and nobody would gain Amontillado. But why would Montresor do that? All else equal, the two nominees are as good as anyone else when it comes to scannable targets. So he might as well scan one of the nominees.

If Montresor mingles with one of the two nominees, then the other will be guaranteed some Amontillado as long as everyone plays along. And since Montresor would not be announcing his choice, anyone who wishes to thwart the acquisition of Amontillado would have at most a 50% chance of doing so (unless multiple people tried to mingle with the nominee he didn't choose).

Assume that neither Montresor nor Fortunato cares a whit whether any Nobles are saved.

Montresor has no reason to care about the loss of his sherry, and has every reason to want people to find out who Fortunato is (so they can tell him). So Montresor is likely to play along.

Fortunato only cares about finding the Red Death. It's neither here nor there to him if someone robs Montresor, and Fortunato can be discovered and disclosed to Montresor even without the Amontillado simply by a successful mingle in which he's the target. So getting entangled in thwarting anyone else is sort of pointless for him; it contributes nothing to his goal of finding the Red Death.

Of course, one guess is as good as another, so Fortunato could seek the Red Death by targeting one of the nominees each night, and if doing so happened also to impede the acquisition of Amontillado, that's a small but interesting bonus. The risk, of course, is that Fortunato will collide with Montresor's choice and therefore not learn the identity of his target. So Fortunato, too, has a reason to play along and not interfere: Fortunato needs to find the Red Death, not to be blocked half the time.

Is there a reason not to follow this plan?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:Is there a reason not to follow this plan?
Two things leap to mind: First, it gives the Red Death some targets to kill but I haven't read carefully enough to know if that really matters. From the cursory reading of the rules I did it will not. Second though, and this does matter and I mentioned it above while we were likely simul-posting, what motivation do any of the Nobles have not to try Sneaking themselves or Mingling with one of the publicly chosen sneakers? There is no benefit to Noble A if Noble B gets wine. Although maybe I need to go back and read more carefully since several people have mentioned trying to work as a semi-team.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:What benefit is there for those not trying to sneak to avoid targeting those trying to sneak? None. Allowing some other Noble to have a better shot at winning does nothing for any individual Noble unless I read something wrong.
Benefit? A turn.

It's a gentlemen's agreement. Either we follow the rules and everyone gets a shot at the Amontillado, or we freelance and perhaps nobody does.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

still a bit confused here regarding the amontillado plan. Why wouldnt Montresor scan someone besides the 2 sneaking thus allowing those 2 cancel and waste their turns? The other problem is how do we determine the order in which people go for the sherry? Obviously the more turns that pass the less chance youre going to get to even have a chance at it. The other thing is once one noble actually gets the amontillado, whats to stop him from saying I got mine, youre out of luck and try to block the other nobles the rest of the game? Honor amongst thieves?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:Is there a reason not to follow this plan?
Two things leap to mind: First, it gives the Red Death some targets to kill but I haven't read carefully enough to know if that really matters.
I think that the safest fiction, with respect to strategy, is to assume that the Red Death has already infected everyone. That way, we can keep our focus on what really matters: preventing the Toasting/Exposure of the Red Death.
what motivation do any of the Nobles have not to try Sneaking themselves or Mingling with one of the publicly chosen sneakers?
Each Nobles wants a turn. Since the chance of getting a turn is pretty slim if everyone's scrambling for the cellar door, everyone optimizes his shot at a legitimate turn by cooperating with everyone else.
There is no benefit to Noble A if Noble B gets wine.
There's no benefit to Noble A if nobody gets wine. There's some benefit to Noble A if letting Noble B have a shot at some wine also grants Noble A a shot at some wine.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Grundbegriff wrote:It's a gentlemen's agreement. Either we follow the rules and everyone gets a shot at the Amontillado, or we freelance and perhaps nobody does.

I'm good with trying to reach an agreement.

While I would love to be able to sneak on my own early, I'll be happy to defer for the greater good. Anything to prevent the Red Death from holding sway seems worth the effort.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

rshetts2 wrote:still a bit confused here regarding the amontillado plan. Why wouldnt Montresor scan someone besides the 2 sneaking thus allowing those 2 cancel and waste their turns?
Because he doesn't mind that they're stealing. He wants someone to find Amontillado, since that increases the likelihood that someone will be able to tell him which player is Fortunato.
The other problem is how do we determine the order in which people go for the sherry?
Does it matter? Random.org? Alphabetical?
once one noble actually gets the amontillado, whats to stop him from saying I got mine, youre out of luck and try to block the other nobles the rest of the game? Honor amongst thieves?
If a Noble has Amontillado, it's because he wants to give some to Fortunato. He can only do that by (a) mingling with Fortunato, or (b) mingling with someone Fortunato's mingling with.

If the wine-bearing Noble is preoccupied with blocking other Nobles from the cellar, then he's not pursuing his own goals. Meanwhile, blocking others achieves what for the Noble? Nothing.

A Noble wins by aligning himself with Fortunato and/or Montresor. Does it matter to this Noble how many other Nobles do the same? No. It affects nothing.

The more, the merrier.