Arkham Horror II: Investigator victory declared!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Gryndyl

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 11 Encounters

Post by Gryndyl »

Turn 11 Mythos

No One Can Help You Now
(environment)
Gates can not be sealed, although they can still be closed.

A gate has opened at The Unnameable. Amanda Sharpe is instantly sucked through to R'lyeh and is delayed.

The Doom track has increased by 1 to 10 of 11

A cultist and a witch emerge from the gate. The cultist moves to the Northside Streets. The Starspawn returns to French Hill.

Another clue has appeared in The Woods

Current Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 3 of 5 Monster Count: 4 of 11 Terror Track: 6 of 10 Doom Track: 10 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 4 of 8

Monster Report:
Sky:

Flying Polyp (EC:+0) Threat: High
French Hill:
Star Spawn (EC:-1) Threat: High
Northside Streets:
Cultist (EC -3): Threat: Low
The Unameable:
Witch (EC-1): Threat: Low

Turn 12 Upkeep:

Jenny Barnes (Isgrimnur): + $1

Turn 12 Move Order:

Jenny Barnes (Isgrimnur): move through abyss
Joe Diamond (Chaosraven): luck 0 lore 3. encounter at hospital
Amanda Sharpe (Qantaga): Speed/Sneak 3/2 Fight/Will 2/3 Lore/Luck 2/3, move through r'lyeh
Dexter Drake (rshetts2): to the woods
Monterey Jack (Zurai): f/w: 4/1 Use artifact to get blessing, go to hospital for encounter
Harvey Walters (Newcastle): head to graveyard
Michael Mcglen (Wargus): Go to church for a blessing
Darell Simmons (Remus West): Return to Arkham. Hang out

GM Commentary: Ouch. That is NOT the Mythos card that you wanted to come up-it may have just sunk your hopes of getting out of this without facing Nyarlathotep. The Mythos can be merciless.
Last edited by Gryndyl on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 11 Encounters and Mythos

Post by Remus West »

Shouldn't I emerge from the gate this turn? In which case, being unable to seal it and there being no point to simply closing it I will have to wait it out and pray for a new environment next turn. Plus a monster surge or gate trying to open on a seal.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Wow, horrible Mythos draw. Looks like we may be seeing a Great Old One this game.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

(totally screwed)...us...(screwed)......(worried)......(just fine) <-- we are now in Pants Filled With Poo 9 tokens of 10 spots.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Is the Curiosity Shopp still open, if so, that's where I am headed
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Wargus

Post by Wargus »

I am going to the Church and getting a blessing. If we make it to next turn without waking Nyarlathotep, I'll go get a clue or two.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

A blessing sounds like a good idea. Fortunately, I have an item that lets me use any location's encounter ability.

Fully half of our Investigators have zero clues. Investigators with zero clues are devoured when Nyarlathotep awakens. I strongly suggest that those with no clues do anything they can to get one. There are two at the Woods, but since the Science Building has an open gate that's the only place on the board to get them.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Zurai wrote:Wow, horrible Mythos draw. Looks like we may be seeing a Great Old One this game.

Yeah, not being able to seal gates is a killer.

Amanda will hope for the best in R'lyeh.

Stats:

Speed/Sneak 3/2
Fight/Will 2/3
Lore/Luck 2/3
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Focus luck to 0, lore to 3.
"Where are you off to?"

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trudge, trudge, trudge.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

head to the graveyard to pick up that clue.

no clue what else i should be doing.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Chaosraven: Curiositie Shppe is closed, anywhere else you'd like to go?
...and still need a move for rshetts
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Well crap on a stick. Move to nearest location with a clue icon.
"Where are you off to?"

rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

My apologies, the long delay between turns coupled with the holidays, and frankly I lost track of the game and it slipped my mind.

Ill move to the woods for the 2 clues unless someone else is doing that, Joe Diamonds move is a bit vague. If someone is already going there first then I will go to the train station for an encounter.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Sorry, I cannot see the board from my phone. Wasn't heading down there.
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:Sorry, I cannot see the board from my phone. Wasn't heading down there.
Nearest location with a clue icon would be the hospital (which you are at). The nearest location with a clue would be the Woods.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

As there is someone else capable of Woods clue recovery, I will encounter at the Hospital
"Where are you off to?"

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, have all the moves, will try and get PMs out today
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Actually, I havn't turned in a turn yet. I wanted to see what everyone else was doing. Gimme a second to look over the map.

EDIT: OK. First, I'll increase my Fight to 4 and my Will to 1. Won't be needing that in the fight against Nyarlathotep if it comes to that.

Second, move to the Woods IF and ONLY if no one else is headed there to pick up those clues. Otherwise, head to the Hospital for an encounter.

In the encounter phase, use my artifact to get a blessing from the church.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Turn 12 Encounters

Jenny Barnes (Isgrimnur)
The Abyss
It's dreadfully quiet here. You can feel the weight of this place pressing against you, as if it wants to expel you, to crush you. You sense it's rage at your presence but it is a toothless rage. It has nothing with which to stop you.
(Encounter called for any monsters at gate source location to attack you. No monsters=rest and relaxation for you!)

Joe Diamond (Chaosraven)
St. Mary's Hospital
luck 0 lore 3
The doctor chuckles when he hears your story.
""Walking dead? A charming notion, I suppose if that's your thing, but rather impossible from a medical perspective, of course." He pushes his glasses up on his noise.
"The movement of limbs require electrical impulses sent from the brain to activate the appropriate muscular contractions which, naturally, rely on a supply of oxygen provided by their blood supply in order to make their contraction. Without a beating heart, the brain would be unable to send the impulses and the muscles would fail to react to them even if it could. What you saw, dear sir, may have been a fright and looked a bit like a shambling corpse but I assure you that it had to have been very much among the living."
Hmmm. Doc makes a bit of sense...
-1 clue for being disabused of crazy but accurate notions. The doc may have just put you in the grave.

Amanda Sharpe (Qantaga)
R'lyeh
Speed/Sneak 3/2 Fight/Will 2/3 Lore/Luck 2/3
The black pharaoh Nephren-Ka stands on the beach before you, the Balance of Thoth in his hand.
"A time of reckoning has come, mortal. Prepare for judgement."
He reaches his hand into your chest and extracts your soul, placing it upon the scales. The bowls sway up and down, slowly settling. They are unbalanced.
"Ah," he says. "A slight...correction...is required." He twists something out of your soul and pops it in his mouth, chewing it slowly and savoring it.
(-1 san in order to balance your sanity and stamina)
"You'll be needing this back, I suppose. Now that you are balanced, you will be tested!"
He flips your soul through the air at you and it sinks back within your body. Before you the Pharaoh's features twist, his pharaonic regalia melting and streaming away, leaving behind The Black Man with his face full of stars and his gleaming white smile.
(luck-1 or be devoured. Roll: 6. Success!)
His grin broadens as you resist his pull.
"Well done, human. Well done indeed. I think you may even deserve a bit of a reward."
He pulls a book from his jacket and tosses it on the sand at your feet.
+2 clue tokens
Exhibit item: Book of Anubis: When another investigaor goes insane, goes unconscious or is devoured you gain 1 san and 1 stam and any clue tokens they discard

Dexter Drake (rshetts2)
The Woods
The forest is eerily quiet. No birds call, no creatures rustle in the brush. It is almost, dare you say, peacful.
(encounter called for you to confront all monsters in the Outskirts, for a grand total of no monsters!)
+2 clues

Monterey Jack (Zurai)
St. Mary's Hospital
f/w: 4/1
Use artifact to get blessing. -5 monster trophy points. Gain blessing
The corpse on the autopsy table looks familiar. You could swear you saw it walking around earlier. Behind you you hear a doctor patiently explaining to someone that corpses don't walk around. Their voices fade as they leave the room. Hunh. Well, this one at least isn't moving.
It reaches out and grabs your arm.
You give it a good hard punch in the face.
Well, this one at least isn't moving.
You rub your knuckles and step out of the morgue before that becomes not true again.
fight -1 to beat corpse and gain clue
roll: 5,5,1. Success
+1 clue.

Harvey Walters (Newcastle)
Graveyard
Cooter Falwell, the graveyard attendant, greets you, shovel slung over his shoulder, lantern dangling from hand and cheek packed with chaw. He spits a brown stream at a headstone.
"Don't worry none 'bout dat. Some dese buggers gets a'restless now n agin. Figger that'll yank their chain enough ta inspire de ornery ones to comes up swingin'. Dat's when I whacks 'em right back down wit' mah shovel. BAYUM!" he yells, gleefully.
lore-1 check to gain clue
roll: 6,4,3,1 success
+2 clues total

Michael Mcglen (Wargus)
South Church
You show the nuns the evidence of your good works. They pale and cross themselves, but send you forth with their blessing. -5 monster trophy points, gain blessing

Darell Simmons (Remus West)
Silver Twilight Lodge
You step from that evil place back into the incense scented environs of the Lodge. You turn to seal the gate, raising the Elder Sign before you. Something...resisting?

Current Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 3 of 5 Monster Count: 4 of 11 Terror Track: 6 of 10 Doom Track: 10 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 4 of 8
Gryndyl

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 12 Encounters

Post by Gryndyl »

Turn 12 Mythos

Blood Magic
(Environment)

Investigators who end their turn in the Rivertown Streets may choose to delve into darky mysteries using their life force. You will roll dice equal to your current stamina. Every failure results in 1 stamina loss. If this reduces you to zero, you are devoured. If you manage to avoid being devoured you gain 3 clues.

As this is a new environment, gates can now be sealed as normal.

No new gate opens due to the seal on Independence Square.

No clue appears due to the gate at The Unnameable.

The witch has moved to the Northside streets.

Current Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Report:
Science Building: R'lyeh (currently occupied by Amanda Sharpe)
The Unnameable: The Abyss (currently occupied by Jenny Barnes)
Silver Twilight Lodge: The Abyss (just explored by Darrell Simmons)

Monster Report:
Northside Streets:
Witch (-1), threat: low
Cultist (-3), threat: low
French Hill:
Star Spawn (-1), threat: High
Sky:
Flying Polyp (+0), threat: High

Turn 13 Upkeep:
Jenny Barnes: +$1
Michael McGlen: Blessing (1st turn, no roll needed)
Monterey Jack: Blessing (1st turn, no roll needed)

Turn 13 Move Order:

Joe Diamond (Chaosraven):
Amanda Sharpe (Qantaga): Move through R'lyeh
Dexter Drake (rshetts2):
Monterey Jack (Zurai):
Harvey Walters (Newcastle):
Michael Mcglen (Wargus):
Darell Simmons (Remus West): Seal gate with Elder Sign
Jenny Barnes (Isgrimnur): Return from R'lyeh and seal gate with Elder Sign

GM Commentary: Saved! I actually went downstairs and had Wargus draw the next Mythos card so that I would be absolved from guilt if it destroyed you all. That was about the best draw you could have hoped for.
Wargus

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 12 Mythos. The Old One still slee

Post by Wargus »

yay me!

What happens when a witch & a cultist meet a man with a tommygun? Lets find out! I'll move up to the Northside streets & take out the witch & cultist & then hang out for the mythos chance for clues.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Wargus wrote:yay me!

What happens when a witch & a cultist meet a man with a tommygun? Lets find out! I'll move up to the Northside streets & take out the witch & cultist & then hang out for the mythos chance for clues.
The Mythos event is occurring in Riverside streets.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Woot! We win this turn as Isgrimnur and I both seal gates thus giving us the 6 seals we need to win! Great draw Wargus. :mrgreen:
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Whew!

Talk about close. Way to go Wargus!!!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Yeah, I think we can go ahead and declare this as an investigator win. Both gate sealers have elder signs so no rolls will be required and there's nothing that can pop up during the encounters that is going to add to the doom track.

This was one of the closer games I've seen-having it come down to one card draw doesn't happen often. Not to say that you guys wouldn't have been able to handle Nyarlathotep but it would have been ugly.

This was also one of the odder games. Having every Elder Sign in play was certainly weird and I've also never seen that many allies make it into the game.

In any case, apologies for the slow game pace through the holidays but here's hoping everyone had fun! :D

Now I can put away all of these decks of cards that are strewn around the room :P

Congrats!
Isgrimnur

Re: Arkham Horror II: Investigator victory declared!

Post by Isgrimnur »

No worries. Thanks for running, Gryndyl.

And my undefeated streak continues!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Hot diggety dog....we won...we won! Nicely done team, and thank you Gryndyl for hosting it. Was a fun first time and I enjoyed the epxerience.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Joe passes on the celebratory toast and goes to change his boxers.
"Where are you off to?"

theohall

Post by theohall »

This game is obviously broken. The Investigators won both times. ;)
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Congratulations Investigators!

Gryndyl, I can't begin to describe how much I enjoyed this game. It was great! I loved your write-ups and I loved the images that you posted to go with them.

This was so much fun that I am going to splurge for the board game myself (even though my girls are still a couple of years from being able to appreciate it with me). I can imagine that I would have a lot of fun just playing solo as all the investigators and letting my girls draw and roll for me.

If you ever run another game here, you can put me right at the top of the sign-up list. :)

I know this took a lot of time and effort on your part to manage, post, and facilitate, but I am very grateful and I thank you for a great experience. It was a blast!!!
Wargus

Post by Wargus »

That was the first time I've won with gate closures, very awesome!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Yeah, it's definitely a bit of effort on this end of things. The turns generally take me around 3 hours to put together. That and I have decks of cards all over my room :D

I'll likely do another but it'll be a while. Takes about 4 months or so before it starts to seem like a good idea again.

Glad you enjoyed it and enjoy your board game! Playing solo can be lots of fun but I'd recommend not doing it with 8 characters :D
Cactusgod

Post by Cactusgod »

I'm new to the boards but not new to boardgames ;p I was wondering why you guys didn't go ahead and just use Vassal to play this game instead of going through all of this hard work? I would love to set up a day where we can set aside 4 or 5 hours, get a few guys who wanna play, and we can sit around and play the game via vassal with no problem.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Cactusgod wrote:I'm new to the boards but not new to boardgames ;p I was wondering why you guys didn't go ahead and just use Vassal to play this game instead of going through all of this hard work? I would love to set up a day where we can set aside 4 or 5 hours, get a few guys who wanna play, and we can sit around and play the game via vassal with no problem.
because it allows anyone to play without restriction of 'oh I can't play Tuesday, evening, morning, etc' ... But you are more than welcome to arrange a vassal collective to play.
"Where are you off to?"

Cactusgod

Post by Cactusgod »

Yeah I getcha, thats definitely true. Kudos to the host for doing all of this work.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just wanted to give major props to Gryndyl for a fantastic job. Damn that had to be a lot of work. Your write ups were great as well. Thanks for the fun and Im definitely in if this rolls out again. By the way, I know it was random but I loved how you snatched victory away from us one turn and ratcheted up the action and then the final turn fate smiled on us in a big way. Still part of me wanted a whack at the big bad. Im sure it would have ended up painfully but it would have been interesting to try.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?