Arkham Horror II: Investigator victory declared!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 6 Encounters and Mythos

Post by Remus West »

Wargus wrote:I'll take out the high priest, Remus can take my gun & get the other guys. You can use it next turn too as I'm going to go get my brains back after this one.
We'll see what comes up next turn but most likely best if you take it back as I want to try gate jumping and only need one more clue to be able to seal one. No need to take your gun through a gate with me. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Gryndyl wrote:The threat rating is an indicator of how difficult the monster is in combat. The little tiny number in the upper right corner of the monster's icon on the game board is how difficult it is to sneak past. Admittedly, they are pretty small and may be difficult to read.

Gryndyl, thanks for the explanation. That's a big help!
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The arkham wiki that was linked on the first page also has all the card info available so if you cant quite read the card on the game board you can find it there.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

All moves are in. I have a bit of a hectic few days ahead but will be getting encounter PMs out as best as I'm able :)
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

All encounter PMs are out.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I made a HUGE error. I somehow did not realize that the mass of monsters I was stepping on are on top of a gate. I'm going to get sucked through. Actually, now that I think on it, I get sucked through before having to encounter tham so at least there is that. Sigh.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Remus West wrote:I made a HUGE error. I somehow did not realize that the mass of monsters I was stepping on are on top of a gate. I'm going to get sucked through. Actually, now that I think on it, I get sucked through before having to encounter tham so at least there is that. Sigh.
Yeah for the understanding Mod. I am staying where I am and only coming out to give money to Wargus if he needs it. I'll exhaust two of my books in an effort to get a skill or spell and clue respectively. Then I'll encounter the Unnamable again.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

alrighty then, has this game stalled out? we have basically been on this move for over a week and Im curious if this is the end for our interpid heroes or have we simply taken an extended break?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

he did say he was busy. could be hanging on one person who hadn't checked in. I am not too worried about the pace of the game, i kind of like the laid back, slowness of it. I am sure he will give us a heads up if it's stalled. Could be he's just busy.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Sorry, has just been one of those kinda weeks.

I have all of the turn resolved and am putting it together now.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 7 ENCOUNTERS

Dexter Drake (rshetts2)
Riverside
sp/sn: 5/1, f/2: 2/2, lo/lu: 4/1
You see the shambling, rotting thing has made its way out of the cave and down into the Riverside Streets. You, however, are exactly the right sort of person to take care of that before it becomes a problem. You step up behind it, the twisted words already forming on your lips, the power already coursing through you...

Zombie: Horror -1 san -1 fight -1 stam -2 toughness 1
horror check: Roll:3 Exhaust bravery skill. Roll: 2 -1 san
Spell cast roll: 6,5,2 -1 san
fight roll: 6,4,3,2,2,1

The thing twists and shrivels in font of you, collapsing to the street, finally, in what appears to be a tangled pile of jerky.
gain zombie as trophy

Monterey Jack (Zurai)
Plateau of Leng
sneak 2
You cautiously make your way across the wind blasted plateau, weaving amongst the gray grasses through the weird rock formations beneath the bruised purple sky. You hear a strange buzzing sound from up ahead and freeze in your tracks. If that's a wasp, it's a big one. You ease your gun from its holster. A...thing...comes flitting around from behind one of the stones.

Mi-Go: horror-1 san -2 fight +0 stam 1 toughness 1
horror check: Roll: 5,5 success!
fight roll: 6,6,5,5,5,5,5,3,3,3,2=Utter mi-go destruction.

The thing bursts apart in a spray of goo. No way are you going to scrape that up. Seems it was carrying something though.
No trophy, gain ancient tablet
Ancient Tablet: Movement Phase: Spend 3 movement points and discard ancient tablet to roll 2 dice. For every success rolled, draw 1 spell. For every failure rolled, gain 2 clue tokens.

Harvey Walters (Newcastle)
Unvisited Isle
Scratch a rune here, add a line to a rune there and...voila! Gate closed and sealed!
Roll: 6,6,5,4,4
-5 clues. gain gate trophy

Michael McGlen (Wargus)
Merchant District

A man in a purple robe and a hood pretty much only spells bad news in your book. At least he looks like bullets will be sufficient.

High Priest: (magical immunity) horror +1 san 1 fight -2 stam -2 toughness 2
horror roll: 5,3,3
fight roll: 5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,1
gain high priest as trophy

Darrell Simmons (Remus West)
The Unnameable
f/w: 3/3
What you need, really, is some reading time so you can stop toting this library around. You settle into the old dusty room in the creaking house for some page turning time.
Cabala of Saboth: Roll: 4,1 Fail
Hmmm. Your ancient Hebrew is a little rusty today. Let's try a different one...
Cultes Des Goules: Roll: 6,4
Ah, archaic French? That's more like it.
Gain 1 clue, -2 san
Spell:
Plague of Locusts: (cast mod -2 san -1) Movement: This spell affects ALL investigators and monsters in the neighborhood it is cast in (street and locations). Investigators lose 1 stamina. Monster toughness is reduced by 1. Monsters reduced to 0 are removed.

You set the book aside and stretch. (Luck(-1): Roll: 6) A glint catches your eye, something behind a board in the wall...
Elder Sign: When sealing a gate, lose 1 sanity and 1 stamina and discard Elder Sign. You do not need to roll against the gate or spend clue tokens, the gate is sealed and a doom token is removed from the Great Old One's track

Jenny Barnes (Isgrimnur)
Curiositie Shoppe
The awful void around you fades, swirls with color and reforms as a strange little shop. The proprieter seems completely unsurprised by your appearing from thin air, simply giving you a stoic nod.
You browse the selection for a bit when your eye catches something that you know you just have to have...
Elder Sign: When sealing a gate, lose 1 sanity and 1 stamina and discard Elder Sign. You do not need to roll against the gate or spend clue tokens, the gate is sealed and a doom token is removed from the Great Old One's track
-$5

Joe Diamond (Chaosraven)
City of the Great Race/The Witch House
sp/sn: 3/4
You follow the great sloping ramp upwards. At the top there is a huge doorway shaped like a very tall flat topped triangle. Peering into the room beyond you see a glittering key on a stone pedestal. It looks like exactly the sort of thing you need to get out of this place. The problem is that just beyond it is a huge conical shaped creature of some sort. Four weird appendages adorn it, two ending in claws, one in some kind of trumpet shape and the last in a glowing yellow orb. You make a wild hoping guess that the orb is some sort of sensory device. You wait until the thing's body blocks the orb from your view and creep across the floor, grabbing the key.
sneak (-1)[2] 6,5,4 2 successes of 2 needed.
Beneath the key is a keyhole. You insert the key and it turns with a satisfying click. You find yourself back in Arkham. The key has changed into something else...

Amanda Sharpe (Qantaga)
Science Building
sp/sn: 3/2 f/w: 3/2, lo/lu: 2/3

A muscular young man is lounging at one of the lab tables, looking bored out of his skull. He leers at you. "Wanna arm wrestle honey?"
You give him your best 'you have got to be kidding' look.
"Aw, c'mon," he says. "Look, I'll even pay ya. Anything for a bit of practice and to take my mind off of this stupid lab project."
You roll your eyes and step up to the counter. He proceeds to gleefully slam your arm down on the table with enough force that you think you just might have broken a knuckle. "Thanks for that!" he says, pulls out his wallet and slides some money across to you.
-2 stam +$5

Current Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 2 Monster Count: 9 Terror Track: 4 Doom Track: 6 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 2

GM Commentary: You guys have an absurd number of Elder Signs. Now if only you could manage to use some :D
Remus West

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 7 Encounters

Post by Remus West »

3 Elder signs in a single turn?! Awesome. Time to hit the asylum and then gate hop.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 7 MYTHOS

Murder in the Museum

From the Arkham Advertiser:

Early this morning staff at the museum discovered the bodies of several persons within the "Legacy of the Pharaohs" exhibit. Police have indicated that the means of the murders as well as certain objects found in the vicinity seem to indicate that the murders were ritualistic in nature. Investigation is ongoing and the police have assured us that they will supply us with more details once more is known.

Characters with gate trophies must make a fight/lore check with the gate's difficulty modifier.
Harvey Walters: 5,2,1,1 Success! (may remove one monster with gate symbol: sadly, none available)
Dexter Drake: 5,5,1 Success! (may remove one monster with gate symbol: sadly, none available)

No gate opens
No monsters appear
2 Doom tokens are added to the Doom Track, bringing it to 8 of 11
(this is a card special to the expansion, featuring 2 doom tokens rather than a gate and a token)

The Fire Vampire comes out to investigate the Tommy gun noise. Can Michael McGlen's fragile brain handle the experience?
The Nightgaunt swoops down out of the sky to visit Dexter Drake
A lot of other monsters consider moving but then think better of it as they are already located with investigators.

Current Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 2 Monster Count: 9 Terror Track: 4 Doom Track: 8 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 2

GATE REPORT:
Independence Square: Plateau of Leng -1 (currently occupied by Monterey Jack)
The Witch House: City of the Great Race (just explored by Joe Diamond)

MONSTER REPORT:
Riverside:
Nightgaunt, threat: low (EC: -2)
Independence Square:
Ghoul, threat: low (EC: -3)
Ghost, threat: low (EC: -3)
Unvisited Isle:
The Bloated Woman, Threat: Extreme (EC: -1)
Gug, Threat: High (EC: -2)
Merchant District:
Fire Vampire, threat: low (EC: +0)
The Witch House:
Flying Polyp, Threat: High (EC: +0)
Formless Spawn, Threat: Moderate (EC: +0)
French Hill:
Star Spawn, Threat: High (EC: -1)

UPKEEP ROLLS FOR TURN 8
Remus: Retainer: 3. success. +$2
Isgrimnur: +$1
rshetts2: Retainer: 4. success. +$2

TURN 8 MOVE ORDER:
Zurai: f/w: +2/-2 close gate
Newcastle: science building, evade fire vamp
Wargus: evade fire vamp, head to asylum
Remus West: Arkham Asylum
Isgrimnur: F/W: 2/4 Merchant District, fight fire vampire
Chaosraven: speed up sneak down, use elder sign to seal
Qantaga: remain in science building
rshetts2: fight nightgaunt
Last edited by Gryndyl on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:3 Elder signs in a single turn?! Awesome. Time to hit the asylum and then gate hop.
Yeah that kinda blew my mind too. I kept checking to make sure that I wasn't drawing them and then sticking them back on top of the deck.
Newcastle

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 7 Encounters and Mythos up at las

Post by Newcastle »

Are we in trouble? I mean the doom track at 8? Anyway to bring that back?

And what do i do with those fat mobs sitting on my square?

And how many gate trophy's we need to win this thing?
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:Are we in trouble? I mean the doom track at 8? Anyway to bring that back?

And what do i do with those fat mobs sitting on my square?

And how many gate trophy's we need to win this thing?
The only method of removing tokens from the Doom track is......wait for it........Elder signs.
Most games you are lucky to get 1. Sometimes you hit the motherload and get 2 in the same game. We just got three on the same turn. AND we already had 2. Crazy good fortune.

Does that mean we are going to win? Maybe. Could be we get screwed trying to get through the gates to use the signs but having the signs is still a huge huge bonus.

BTW, didn't someone have a "findgate" spell? If so they are welcome to take my Elder sign and jump in the nearest gate..
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm going to spend time doing what this character does best: Shopping. I'm headed in the direction of the General Store. And I'm giving away Elder Signs, as I'm not much use in the Outer Planes.

> Northside > Downtown > Easttown
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm going to spend time doing what this character does best: Shopping. I'm headed in the direction of the General Store. And I'm giving away Elder Signs, as I'm not much use in the Outer Planes.

> Northside > Downtown > Easttown
Due to the Fear level, the General Store is closed :(
I managed to forget to mark that on the board this time
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur, everyone is pretty much equal in the outer planes. If you have an elder sign I'd go ahead and gate jump.

Gryndyl, could you give an update of who is in each gate by the gates location in Arkham? Or point me to where it is if you already post that information.

Being down to my last San point, I will head over to the Asylum and pay $2 to be fully recharged assuming Wargus removes the Firevampire. Anyone else needing recharge can borrow money if they need it.

Wargus, if you don't want to fight the firevamp let me know during upkeep so I can adjust my focus to sneak past him myself.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Gryndyl, could you give an update of who is in each gate by the gates location in Arkham? Or point me to where it is if you already post that information.
It's in the mythos turn, just after where the gameboard is linked
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Gryndyl wrote:Sorry, has just been one of those kinda weeks.

I have all of the turn resolved and am putting it together now.

Its all good Gryndyl. I had a helluva week myself. was just wondering. Still if youre gonna toss us 3 elder signs go ahead and take your time. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In that case:

Northside > Merchant Disctrict [sic] and I'll attempt to take out the Fire Vampire.

Bump my Fight/Will to 2/4 and we'll use the Dread Curse of Azathoth spell.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

If I'm reading things right, Chaos and Zurai have the gates covered for now.

I'll move Amanda to the Hospital:

Science Building --> Miskatonic University --> Uptown --> St. Mary's Hospital

I'll just get the 1 point healing (no need to spend cash on just 1 extra point).

Stats:

Speed/Sneak: 3/2
Fight/Will: 3/2
Lore/Luck: 2/3

I'll be ready to jump into a new gate, if one opens close to me. Hopefully, with all the Elder Signs floating around, we should have any new gates covered.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Gryndyl and everyone else.....- in your expert opinion. Would I have any chance of taking out the bloated woman? I believe we now cohabitate on the same square. I wonder if i used my spell if i could knock her down or if it would simply be foolish. The other option I have is sneaking away.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Gryndyl wrote:
Remus West wrote:
It's in the mythos turn, just after where the gameboard is linked
I see it now. Thanks.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:Gryndyl and everyone else.....- in your expert opinion. Would I have any chance of taking out the bloated woman? I believe we now cohabitate on the same square. I wonder if i used my spell if i could knock her down or if it would simply be foolish. The other option I have is sneaking away.
You might be able to take her down but it will hurt. A lot. I'd go with sneak if you can.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Joe wonders how long he's been wandering this alien funhouse, figuring he has books racking up the overdue fines down at the library. With any luck, the bizarro keypie doll in his pocket will be of some use back home. (adjust speed back up, sneak down by max allowed, use elder sign upon return)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Monterey Jack can't move, so he doesn't. He'll attempt to close the gate during the encounter phase using Fight.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Q- i could probably come heal you, since i am out fo the gate, problem is evading these monsters. i dont have a lot of moves available to me right now, since i have to sneak by these dudes.

Gryndyl - would this enable me to get by the two mods that i currently occupy the same square with? Could I cast that and move along?
Mists of Releh: (Casting Modifier: special, Sanity cost: 0) Cast and exhaust to pass an Evade Check. Casting Modifier is equal to the monster's awareness
Looks like i am also on the move as well, just not sure where. My main deal is avoiding the two mobs on my square. Not sure if I should go north or south?And also who needs healin right now. I assume I can only cast 1 spell per turn, so if thats true, then i might cast evade to sneak around these dudes.
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Gryndyl - you seem to have our doom track as 8 and also as 6. In the mod events you have it as 8, then under the board it's at 6.
Bayraktar!!!!

Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I don't believe there's a cap on the number of spells you can cast per turn. However, that specific spell exhausts itself when you try to cast it, so it can't be used twice in the same turn (unless you have two copies of it). Also, you have to pass an evade check for each monster you want to evade, so it's only useful for bypassing single monsters.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Newcastle wrote:
Gryndyl - would this enable me to get by the two mods that i currently occupy the same square with? Could I cast that and move along?
Mists of Releh: (Casting Modifier: special, Sanity cost: 0) Cast and exhaust to pass an Evade Check. Casting Modifier is equal to the monster's awareness
That'll get ya past one of them.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Newcastle wrote:Gryndyl - you seem to have our doom track as 8 and also as 6. In the mod events you have it as 8, then under the board it's at 6.
Fixed. 8 is the correct level.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I guess should set the skills up first

S/S change to 2/3
F/W 1/2
L/L 5/2

I will also cast my "evade" spell, hope that gets me by 1 of em.

If I can move, I will head North, to the merchant district i believe. (this is tenative, also, just a general thought atm). That should take all my turn up right? Again this is assuming i get out of this pickle i'm in.

Also anyone outside of Quantaga need healing? I can make my way to you, again assuming if i can evade these bad boys.
Bayraktar!!!!

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Newcastle, thanks for the healing offer.

It looks like Remus could use the healing more than I. If he can make it to you, heal him. If he can't, I'll try to head your way.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Q- I think i can only heal up stamina. I think Remus damage is sanity. At least that's my interpretation.

The move I am thinking, if no heal is needed is head up N to the tommy gun dude, merchant district and see what i can do with him, or tag along with him.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:Q- I think i can only heal up stamina. I think Remus damage is sanity. At least that's my interpretation.

The move I am thinking, if no heal is needed is head up N to the tommy gun dude, merchant district and see what i can do with him, or tag along with him.
I actually need both but I can get to the Asylum to get full sanity this turn. If you can and want to join me there to so you can heal some stamina that'd be welcome but I do have 3 left so I am not overly concerned about it. Once I get my sanity back I'll either make my way to the hospital to heal full stamina or hit a gate or go learn a skill. All depends on our situation at that point.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

here's a wee bit of a problem:
Barred from Downtown: You may not enter or move through any Downtown locations
I didn't realize this would be permanent...i got it a couple of turns ago.

EDIT - long term this is going to pose a problem i think, because in order to heal i have to use my sanity and if i cant recharge my sanity....by not visiting the asylum...due to this condition...then it's going to pose a problem.

oh - can this be useful? - Psychic: Upkeep: You may allow any one investigator to loan a skill card to another investigator (regardless of their locations) for this turn only. Should you be Lost in Time in Space you lose the psychic ability.
Last edited by Newcastle on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:oh - can this be useful? - Psychic: Upkeep: You may allow any one investigator to loan a skill card to another investigator (regardless of their locations) for this turn only. Should you be Lost in Time in Space you lose the psychic ability.
If someone has a fight skill they are not using this turn Zurai is trying to close a gate using fight so that would be a good use for the psychic ability. Assuming Zurai does not already have fight as a skill (unless you can double it up that way).
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Newcastle wrote:here's a wee bit of a problem:
Barred from Downtown: You may not enter or move through any Downtown locations
I didn't realize this would be permanent...i got it a couple of turns ago.

EDIT - long term this is going to pose a problem i think, because in order to heal i have to use my sanity and if i cant recharge my sanity....by not visiting the asylum...due to this condition...then it's going to pose a problem.

oh - can this be useful? - Psychic: Upkeep: You may allow any one investigator to loan a skill card to another investigator (regardless of their locations) for this turn only. Should you be Lost in Time in Space you lose the psychic ability.
On the bright side, if you lose all of your sanity then you get a free trip to the asylum regardless of being barred. Note that if you do manage to get lost in time and space and lose the psychic ability you will also no longer be barred. Not that I'm recommending that or anything but thought I'd throw it out there.