Arkham Horror II: Investigator victory declared!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Zurai

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 7 Encounters and Mythos up at las

Post by Zurai »

Remus West wrote:
Newcastle wrote:oh - can this be useful? - Psychic: Upkeep: You may allow any one investigator to loan a skill card to another investigator (regardless of their locations) for this turn only. Should you be Lost in Time in Space you lose the psychic ability.
If someone has a fight skill they are not using this turn Zurai is trying to close a gate using fight so that would be a good use for the psychic ability. Assuming Zurai does not already have fight as a skill (unless you can double it up that way).
I do already have the Fight skill (also Speed skill). Not sure if skills can be doubled up, but I think I have the only Fight skill out there anyway. I should have no problem sealing the gate, as I have 4 Fight after the gate modifier and a spare clue I can use to get 2 more rolls. However, now that I think about it, I'm going to

Increase my Fight by 2

(and decrease Will by 2) just to be sure. I'll have to drop that back down next turn when I fight off the monsters to guard against Sanity loss, but it shouldn't be a problem for right now.

EDIT: Although that still brings up a good point. If anyone can use an extra point of Speed, feel free to borrow my Speed skill; I can't use it this turn anyway.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Hopefully when you close the gate it will take a few monsters with it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I guess I will head N. 1 step, i think it's the Merchant district, and help there. Not sure where else to go. I realize i have two moves, but I think safer to stick in the open with tommy gun dude, in case we go after bloated lady.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:I guess I will head N. 1 step, i think it's the Merchant district, and help there. Not sure where else to go. I realize i have two moves, but I think safer to stick in the open with tommy gun dude, in case we go after bloated lady.
I don't think either one of you should go after her. He needs his san back. You may as well head to a location and have an encounter, imo.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Remus West wrote:
Newcastle wrote:I guess I will head N. 1 step, i think it's the Merchant district, and help there. Not sure where else to go. I realize i have two moves, but I think safer to stick in the open with tommy gun dude, in case we go after bloated lady.
I don't think either one of you should go after her. He needs his san back. You may as well head to a location and have an encounter, imo.
thanks for the advice then...

Gryndyl - can i move to the science building? provided of course i make successful evade checks? its west one building from my present location. So...head into the merchant distrcit, and go into the science building.
Bayraktar!!!!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Gate Count: 2 ... Doom Track: 8 of 11
:pop:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
Gate Count: 2 ... Doom Track: 8 of 11
:pop:
Elder sign count 5. We can hopefully control that track a bit with those.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:Elder sign count 5. We can hopefully control that track a bit with those.
I didn't even think there were 5 in the deck. I've never seen more than two show up. Of course my game sample size is something like 8 times playing, so...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I haven't counted in the actual game, but the wiki states that there should only be four in the deck unless you add in the one from Kingsport Horror.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:I haven't counted in the actual game, but the wiki states that there should only be four in the deck unless you add in the one from Kingsport Horror.
One of them is not an actual Elder sign but an item that has the same effect, iirc.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Newcastle wrote:Gryndyl - can i move to the science building? provided of course i make successful evade checks? its west one building from my present location. So...head into the merchant distrcit, and go into the science building.

Newcastle, since you're coming to the Science Building (assuming you successfully evade), can you heal me there? You move before me. Then, I could move to an encounter, instead of the hospital?

If you can't heal me, no worries.

Gryndyl, my move choices, in priority order:

*Option 1 - If Newcastle can heal me before I move, then I will change my move go to the Woods (Science Building --> Miskatonic University --> Uptown --> Woods) for an encounter.
*Option 2 - If Newcastle can heal me, but I have to stay in his same location for him to be able to heal me, then I'll stay in the Science Building this turn for the healing and an encounter.
*Option 3 - If Newcastle can't heal me, then leave my move to the Hospital.

Stats:

Speed/Sneak: 3/2
Fight/Will: 3/2
Lore/Luck: 2/3
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Qantaga wrote:
Newcastle wrote:Gryndyl - can i move to the science building? provided of course i make successful evade checks? its west one building from my present location. So...head into the merchant distrcit, and go into the science building.

Newcastle, since you're coming to the Science Building (assuming you successfully evade), can you heal me there? You move before me. Then, I could move to an encounter, instead of the hospital?

If you can't heal me, no worries.

Gryndyl, my move choices, in priority order:

*Option 1 - If Newcastle can heal me before I move, then I will change my move go to the Woods (Science Building --> Miskatonic University --> Uptown --> Woods) for an encounter.
*Option 2 - If Newcastle can heal me, but I have to stay in his same location for him to be able to heal me, then I'll stay in the Science Building this turn for the healing and an encounter.
*Option 3 - If Newcastle can't heal me, then leave my move to the Hospital.

Stats:

I think i have 2 moves and i have to avoid two monsters. one in my present location another in the next location.

I dont think i have any moves this turn, however, next turn i'd be happy to. If there is some way for me to get more moves, then sure. But i pushed a lot of my points into sneak over speed this turn.

i think if i do land on the science building it will be with no moves/actions left. If somehow i can move and heal you at the science building I will do so.
Bayraktar!!!!

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Ah, I didn't realize that you had two evades this turn. No worries.

I think I will just stay in the Science Building for an encounter this turn and leave the light on for Newcastle.

You can disregard all my previous ramblings Gryndyl.

Keep me in the Science Building. Keep stats at:

Thanks!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle's heal happens during upkeep so he needs to start the turn in the same location as another investigator to use it. He can not move into their location and heal them as upkeep has passed by that point.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Thanks Remus.

I still have soooo much to learn about this game, but I'm loving every minute of it.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I haven't counted in the actual game, but the wiki states that there should only be four in the deck unless you add in the one from Kingsport Horror.
One of them is not an actual Elder sign but an item that has the same effect, iirc.
Correct, one of them is "Scroll of the Elder Sign" from the Museum expansion. Same effect as an elder sign but still requires the fight/lore roll.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:Thanks Remus.

I still have soooo much to learn about this game, but I'm loving every minute of it.
I played my first game every of this here on OO. Promptly went out and bought a copy and play it every chance I get now. :D
Newcastle

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 6 Encounters and Mythos

Post by Newcastle »

rshetts2 wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:Sorry, has just been one of those kinda weeks.

I have all of the turn resolved and am putting it together now.

Its all good Gryndyl. I had a helluva week myself. was just wondering. Still if youre gonna toss us 3 elder signs go ahead and take your time. :lol:
you can make your apology more heartfelt by moving :D and maybe we can get a turn in before turkey time.

now if only wargus would show up as well.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Just to make mine official, I'm headed to the asylum. If the fire vampire is still in the way I intend to sneak past him.

Focus Speed/Sneak to 3/3 (with the +1 sneak skill) - since I have the Elder sign I will use clues if needed to make it past.
exhaust the bike to be able to attempt reading the Cabala of Saboth in hopes of gaining a skill before moving.

I will give Wargus $2 on my way past him if he is still there or at the asylum if he goes there.
Gryndyl

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 6 Encounters and Mythos

Post by Gryndyl »

Newcastle wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
Gryndyl wrote:Sorry, has just been one of those kinda weeks.

I have all of the turn resolved and am putting it together now.

Its all good Gryndyl. I had a helluva week myself. was just wondering. Still if youre gonna toss us 3 elder signs go ahead and take your time. :lol:
you can make your apology more heartfelt by moving :D and maybe we can get a turn in before turkey time.

now if only wargus would show up as well.
wargus is my roommate so his move is easy to get. Power is out at the moment and I can't do the update via my phone so no huge rush :D
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

lol sorry I tought Id posted it already :oops: Im going to stay where I am at and take an encounter unless the fight with the swooping beastie is an automatic. if so Ill take that sucka on.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

rshetts2 wrote:lol sorry I tought Id posted it already :oops: Im going to stay where I am at and take an encounter unless the fight with the swooping beastie is an automatic. if so Ill take that sucka on.
The fight is automatic but it doesn't prevent you from having an encounter if you are in a location. You being in the street means you will get no encounter but you do have to fight (or evade the monster if you want to move).
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Ok, power is back on. A 24 power outage loses its novelty about 23 hours before it's over. We had what can only be described as a manifestation of Ithaqua on Monday so I'm glad the power's back already. Some folks around here are going to be dark until Thanksgiving day sometime.

In any case, I'll start getting encounter PMs out in the morn.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 8 ENCOUNTERS

Monterey Jack (Zurai)
Independence Square
f/w: +2/-2
You emerge from the gate, leaving the tortured vistas of the Plateau of Leng for the familiar environs of Independence Square. A few swift kicks from your boot are enough to disrupt the swirling portal that bridges the two, shutting it down for good.
(Roll: 5,4,3,3,1,1 success. -5 clues, gate closed and sealed. Gain gate trophy.)
Still a couple of things creeping around the Square, however.

Harvey Walters (Newcastle)
Unvisited Isle
sp/sn 2/3 f/w 1/2 lo/lu 5/2
You murmur the incantation and a silvery mist drifts and flows around you, allowing you to creep past the towering monstrosity unseen (mists vs gug: 5,4,3 success). Even through the blanket of fog the massive silhouette looming over you strikes a chill. You breathe a sigh of relief once you are able to round a copse of trees and move out of the things sight. The mists fade from around you and you find yourself confronted by a huge, jiggling mass of a woman. Her tiny eyes glitter and she runs her tiny pink tongue along her bloodless lips at the sight of you (Evade roll: 4,1; Fail). A stench of rotting food and corruption rolls over her and your stomach twists into knots as she moves towards you. You choke back the waves of nausea and being chanting the words to the wither spell as you pull out your knife. (Will(-2) check: 0 dice. Clue spent. 4. Fail. Clue spent. 5. success)
Bloated Woman: (Mask, Endless) Before making a horror check, pass a will(-2) check or automatically fail the horror check and combat check.
Horror -1 san -2 fight -2 stam -2 toughness 2
Horror check: 3. Fail. -2 sanity, 1 mitigated by special ability
Wither casting roll: 5,5,2,2,1. Success. +3 fight
Fight Roll: 6,6,5,3,2,2,1. 3 successes, out of 2 needed. Bloated Woman defeated!
As she is Endless, she is not gained as a trophy.

Michael McGlen (Wargus)
Merchant District
All you want to do is get to the damn Asylum and now there's some overgrown dancing spark thing flittering around between you and your destination. You make an attempt at dodging past it but, hey, you never really were the sneaky type. (Evade check: 2; fail)
Fire Vampire: (Ambush, Physical Immunity) Horror Check N/A san N/A fight -2 stam -2 toughness 1
Fight roll: 6,5,4,3,3,2,1. 2 successes out of 1 needed.
fire vampire defeated and gained as trophy.

Darrell Simmons (Remus West)
Arkham Asylum
Ah, the peace and quiet of the Asylum. And, hey! It's pudding day!
-$2, sanity refilled.

Jenny Barnes (Isgrimnur)
Administration Building
Things seem calm in the Merchant District so you continue on your way to the university administration building. A voice calls from behind you.
"You there! You are from this town, no?"
It is a shifty looking foreigner type. He flashes you a big smile.
"I wish to enroll here but the price is very high for non-residents. Can I put your name on my enrollment? I will make it worth your while!" He flashes a roll of money at you.
"You see," you reply, "It's less expensive for locals because we charge non-locals extra. So, to put it simply, no."
His face darkens with anger and he draws himself up to argue but you have already walked away.

Joe Diamond (Chaosraven)
The Witch House/Arkham Asylum
sp/sn: 6/1
You take the sigil engraved stone and place it against the gate. There is a swirling flash of light and the rip in space snaps shut as if it had never been.
(discard Elder Sign, -1 san, -1 stamina. Gate closed and sealed. Doom track down 1 to 7 of 11)
The 1 point sanity loss was enough to drop you and you are now at the Asylum. You lose half of your clues (only lost one after rounding) and half of your items. By my count you have 6 items so pick 3 of them to say goodbye to. Way to take one for the team!

Amanda Sharpe (Qantaga)
Science Building/Library
The faculty at the Science Building is all abuzz about rumors of an invasion of an exotic insect species in town. Weird bugs aren't exactly your thing so you make your excuses and head to the peace and quiet of the library.
Quiet enough, in fact, that you are able to easily over hear the conversation between two men in the next aisle over.
"They cannot discover our plans! We must destroy their tomes!"
You hear the distinctive noise of a lighter being lit and rush around the bookshelf to see one of them setting fire to a stack of books!
(fight -2 check: 5,2. Success)
""Hey!" you yell. The men look up and see you, Sarah and David bearing down on them. Apparently deciding that they don't like the odds, they turn and flee from the building.

Dexter Drake (rshetts2)
Rivertown
The great flapping bat thing descends on you. Time to show it that it's in the wrong part of town.
Nightgaunt: (if you fail a combat check vs. a nightgaunt you are immediately drawn through the nearest gate)
horror -1, san -1 fight -2 toughness 2
horror roll: 5; success
cast shrivelling: 5,5,3. success. -1 san
fight roll: 6,5,4,4,2,1. 2 successes of 2 needed. gain nightgaunt as trophy.

Current Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 0 of 5 Monster Count: 5 of 11 Terror Track: 4 of 10 Doom Track: 7 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 4 of 8

GM Commentary: Good turn for you guys. You've managed to somewhat wrest things back under something resembling control
Newcastle

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 8 Encounters

Post by Newcastle »

sweet! 1 bloated lady down...though disapointed that there is no loot. boo on that part. Do i still get my move away from where i am it?
Bayraktar!!!!

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

TURN 8 MYTHOS

No Gate opens, due to the seal on Independence Square (good timing on that gate seal!)
No monsters move.
A clue has appeared at The Unnameable

From the Arkham Advertiser:

MERCHANTS MARCH ON CRIME!

"Shopkeepers in the Merchant District today took to the streets, proclaiming that they are tired of living in fear and are going to take matters into their own hands."

The Gug has been destroyed by the merchants!

Michael McGlen uses the Eye of Light and Darkness against the Cursed Relics rumor. Two tokens remain.

Current Game Board
(click to embigify)
Enlarge Image

Gate Count: 0 of 5 Monster Count: 5 of 11 Terror Track: 4 of 10 Doom Track: 7 of 11 Gate Trophy Total: 4 of 8

Gate Report:
No gates are open.

Monster Report:
Independence Square:
Ghoul, threat: low (EC: -3)
Ghost, threat: low (EC: -3)
The Witch House:
Flying Polyp, Threat: High (EC: +0)
Formless Spawn, Threat: Moderate (EC: +0)
French Hill:
Star Spawn, Threat: High (EC: -1)

Turn 9 Upkeep rolls:
Remus: Retainer: 3. success. +$2
Isgrimnur: +$1
rshetts2: Retainer: 1. Fail. Retainer lost :(

Turn 9 Move Order:
1. Newcastle: Remain at Unvisited Isle for encounter
2. Wargus: Arkham Asylum for brain fixin'
3. Remus West: Sp to 5. read cabal, go to hospital. Spend up to 2 clues on cabala
4. Isgrimnur: To the magick shop for shopping
5. Chaosraven: remain at asylum for brain fixin'. lose knife, holy water, cigarette case.
6. Qantaga: Go to Unvisited Isle for encounter
7. rshetts2: police station for encounter
8. Zurai: F/W: -2/+2 Remain in Independence Square and fight the ghoul and ghost
Last edited by Gryndyl on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Newcastle wrote:sweet! 1 bloated lady down...though disapointed that there is no loot. boo on that part. Do i still get my move away from where i am it?
Combat ends your move, so you're still in the same location
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Gryndyl wrote: MERCHANTS MARCH ON CRIME!

"Shopkeepers in the Merchant District today took to the streets, proclaiming that they are tired of living in fear and are going to take matters into their own hands."

The Gug has been destroyed by the merchants!
Holy cow, remind me not to piss off the merchants! Gugs are no joke.
Newcastle

Re: Arkham Horror II: Turn 8 Encounters and Mythos

Post by Newcastle »

ok i think i will go help zurai in independence square? or am i needed elsewhere? i kind of feel emboldened by takin out that bloated lady. Amy open to finding someoen to heal em also.
Bayraktar!!!!

Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I really shouldn't need help against either the ghoul or the ghost, and since you're first and I'm last in the play order, you'd have to fight both.

I'll reverse last turn's Fight/Will change (ie, Fight -2, Will +2) and stay put.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Is the general store ever opening back up?

*Nope. I guess I'll head to the Magic Shoppe and browse the wares until a new gate opens up.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Joe looks around at the padded walls and wonders what he did with his knife and holy water. 'about time I quit smoking, too' he thought to himself upon his inability to find his cigarette case. Staying the night here won't be so bad, he mused, at least the sheets are clean.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Remus West wrote:Just to make mine official, I'm headed to the asylum. If the fire vampire is still in the way I intend to sneak past him.

Focus Speed/Sneak to 3/3 (with the +1 sneak skill) - since I have the Elder sign I will use clues if needed to make it past.
exhaust the bike to be able to attempt reading the Cabala of Saboth in hopes of gaining a skill before moving.

I will give Wargus $2 on my way past him if he is still there or at the asylum if he goes there.
Hey Gryndyl, I just noticed you missed me trying to read the book last turn (or did not post the results).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If I succeeded in reading the book I will move to the Hospital (using the bike) and get my Stamina back. If I did not succeed I will first adjust my speed to 5. Use the bike to attempt the book again and move to the hospital to get my stamina back.

Anyone going to be in my path that needs cash?

I will be fully ready to jump the next gate along with someone else. Then I can use the gatebox to come back a different one if a second opens while we are in there allowing us to close multiple gates on the same turn again. :D
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Remus West wrote: Hey Gryndyl, I just noticed you missed me trying to read the book last turn (or did not post the results).
Forgot to post the results. The attempt was unsuccessful.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Alright then, focus speed to 5. Exhaust bike to read the Cabala of Saboth in hopes of getting another skill. Since I have the Elder sign to seal the gate with I will go ahead and spend clues (I have the Lore skill so I'm getting 2 dice per :) ) to gain that skill. Spend no more than 2 clues though. Move to the hospital and get my Stamina raised to full for $2. Anyone needing cash that is in my path is welcome to it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ill just hop over to the Police station for an encounter this turn.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Remus - Well i've got 5 bucks, but i really dont see a need for cash for anything right now. I have no retainer upkeep. And not sure if i should go shopping with it.

-Quantaga do you want me to make my way to you? How you end up at the library also? i assume an encounter. I think i can get to you, need to adjust my speed and what not, but the max this old geezer can cruise at is 3 moves i believe.

Otherwise i was thinking of finding an interesting spot for an encounter. Am almost thinking this spot, but I need to look through the rule book to find interesting locations for an encounter.

Gryndyl -since i am barred from downtown, does that effectively shut me out of Bank and Asylum? As an choice of being move to from my end, not being moved there due to a game mechanic? Are those the only two place.

When do encounters happen? After I move or before the move...say i move and use up all my moves am i still eligible for an encounter?
Bayraktar!!!!

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Nice turn everyone!
Newcastle wrote:-Quantaga do you want me to make my way to you? How you end up at the library also? i assume an encounter. I think i can get to you, need to adjust my speed and what not, but the max this old geezer can cruise at is 3 moves i believe.

Otherwise i was thinking of finding an interesting spot for an encounter. Am almost thinking this spot, but I need to look through the rule book to find interesting locations for an encounter.

Newcastle, I did end up in the library from an encounter. I started in the science building, but the encounter moved to the library to dispatch those nasty book burners. :)

If you end up staying on the Uninvited Isle, I can come to you. That way, we could both get an encounter, although I'm still not sure how the movement/healing thing works. You move before me, but hopefully, you would be able to heal me after the movement phase (when I'm in your location). The alternative would be if you wanted to go to the Unnameable to get the clue, then I could join you there, too.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I believe i am down to 0 clues. So i think whoever is going to close the next gate should be the one who gets it. Als you brought up a good question -

Gryndyl - how does my heal work? Do i do it at the end of my turn? Can i move to Quantaga, then use it. Or is it cast prior to any movement? I also note my move is the first also.
Bayraktar!!!!