BSG Boardgame 2: All of this has happened before...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: BSG Boardgame 2: All of this has happened before...

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:Sounds good. I also have the other nuke burning a hole in my pocket, so if another base star jumps in during the meantime I can always nuke one instead of an XO. But we'll see when it gets to my turn.
Using the XO gets us Jump Icons which is what we need to win. If we jump away from a board full of raiders and basestars it doesn't mean any less than jumping away from an empty board. The jump is all that matters at this point unless there is a drastic change in our fortunes.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Sounds good. I also have the other nuke burning a hole in my pocket, so if another base star jumps in during the meantime I can always nuke one instead of an XO. But we'll see when it gets to my turn.
Using the XO gets us Jump Icons which is what we need to win. If we jump away from a board full of raiders and basestars it doesn't mean any less than jumping away from an empty board. The jump is all that matters at this point unless there is a drastic change in our fortunes.
Oh, I know. I'm assuming that I'm going to XO somebody and get the engine activated, but just throwing that out there in case it turns out to be helpful for whatever reason.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah - where the heck is Cavil. Seems like we are drawing out the inevitable at this point.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Maybe he's getting his annual defragmenting.

Didn't he post something in another thread about being away this weekend? I'm probably confusing him with someone else, but I vaguely recall such a thing.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:Maybe he's getting his annual defragmenting.

Didn't he post something in another thread about being away this weekend? I'm probably confusing him with someone else, but I vaguely recall such a thing.
Unless I have his schedule mixed up he is working days right now which means he gets to have family time when not at work and is thus likely working/spending time with the kids/sleeping rinse and repeat. He'll be around eventually. We are supposed to game this weekend so unless something changes Saturday at the latest I'll remind him.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Sorry, yeah I have been spending time with the kids quite a bit this week, as me being home in the evening is rare. We went to the creek and messed with crayfish and played Family Business, and watched a couple movies. Work itself has been something close to actually working. I will take my turn today. :oops:
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pfffff, family time. :wink:

Maybe get the kiddos together and play a round of "what should the Imperious Cylon Leader do?" :)
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

El Guapo wrote:Pfffff, family time. :wink:

Maybe get the kiddos together and play a round of "what should the Imperious Cylon Leader do?" :)
if I could see the map on this phone I could do it earlier, heck, maybe I will play BSG with THEM FIRST and *then* ask that question ;) that'd show ya!
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ok. I am currently at Cylon Fleet.

Possible Plan A

Code: Select all

MOVEMENT: AGGRESSIVE TACTICS. Once per game I may take 2 actions.

ACTION ONE: PRIMACY. Place 1 Basestar in Front. Add 3 Raiders in Front. Add 1 Civilian Ship Behind.

ACTION TWO: activate Cylon Fleet location. BASESTARS to fire at Galactica (one each).
Possible Plan B

Code: Select all

MOVEMENT: AGGRESSIVE TACTICS. Once per game I may take 2 actions.

ACTION ONE: PRIMACY. Place 1 Basestar in Front. Add 3 Raiders in Front. Add 1 Civilian Ship Behind.

ACTION TWO: activate Cylon Fleet location. Move RAIDERS.
Although they require three jump icons,

2. Grundebegriff as President Laura Roslin [Political Leader]
will not be repairing the Engine Room

3. Zurai as Anastasia "Dee" Dualla [Support]
will be repairing but not using the Engine Room

4. Remus West as Sharon "Boomer" Valerii [Pilot]

5. El Guapo as Admiral Saul Tigh [Military Leader]

so that's 2 players to use Engine Room and None to use FTL. (unless both of Ros and Dee get icons on their crisis)

Do I hope to blast FTL with Basestars NOW and on possible Basestar Icons on crisis? Or get the raiders into position to eat up civvies on Raider Icons on crisis?

I am leaning to blasting Galactica. What say my fellows?
"Where are you off to?"

stessier

Post by stessier »

Galactica will be damaged on a 4-8 if I read correctly. But they can use Pegasus to absorb those hits, right?

So is our best chance at winning getting Galactica 8 more damage (3 Pegasus + 4 Galactica + the inevitable repaired Engines) or taking out resources?

I honestly have no idea. Pounding Galactica is certainly more fun, though. :twisted:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The current player decides from which ship to draw the damage tokens from.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Turtle wrote:The current player decides from which ship to draw the damage tokens from.

Ohhhh - Blast Galactica!!!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also you still haven't (near as I can tell) chosen your card draw for the turn.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Plan A it is. Double Action, action Primacy, action activate Basestars looking to hit FTL

And if I did forget my cards, brown and red
"Where are you off to?"

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Basestar 1 attacks Galactica, rolling a 7 for a hit. Admiral's Quarters damaged.
Basestar 2 attacks Galactica, rolling a 2 for a miss.

Baltar's crisis phase is skipped due to being a revealed cylon.

Turn 30: Roslin
Enlarge Image

Hand Sizes and Ongoing Effects:
Spoiler:
Player hand sizes:
1. Cavil: 2
2. Roslin: 12 Quorum: 3
3. Dee: 9
4. Boomer: 7
5. Tigh: 6
6. Apollo: 7
7. Baltar: 5

Ongoing Card effects:
Relentless Pursuit: Keep this card in play until a civilian ship or basestar is destroyed. If this card is in play when the fleet jumps, shuffle it back into the crisis deck.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

For my movement, I'm actually going to move somewhere. I don't need to hover on the President's Office here at the endgame, since in a pinch I can use my special one-time ability to garner Quorum Cards.

What would be the most useful place for me to be in anticipation of future contingencies?

For my action, I'll be able to XO Dee.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So Chaos' calculation above is off - since Grund can XO Dee, we can repair the engine this turn instead of next, which means that we can activate the drive twice before my turn (on Dee's turn and Boomer's turn). So if we get a jump icon on Roslin's crisis (which is reasonably likely given her two-crisis ability) then we have a reasonable shot at jumping on my turn.

Of course, those two basestars are definitely worrying. If we aren't able to jump this turn, then our cylon crew can each have them fire a round at us, which would probably kill us. And that assumes that we don't get a "cylon attack" crisis in the meantime. And even if there's only one basestar left on the cylon turns, then even three attacks could do us in (absent a repair).

So here's what I think. Roslin XO's Dee as planned, and Dee repairs the engine drive. If we wind up with a jump activation icon (which Grund should choose, unless it's an otherwise horrid crisis), then we go ahead with trying to jump. If we don't get an icon, then we can't jump before the cylon turn, in which case we turn our attention to eliminating those basestars. If we can get rid of both then we're in good shape - only Cavil can make one appear (I think), and then we go and can destroy it right away.

As for where Roslin should be - I dunno if there's one place that's particularly helpful. I guess Galactica or Pegasus' weapons section, then we could XO you to use them to attack the basestars if needed. But given your discard penalty I'd think we'd have someone else do that.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:As for where Roslin should be - I dunno if there's one place that's particularly helpful. I guess Galactica or Pegasus' weapons section, then we could XO you to use them to attack the basestars if needed. But given your discard penalty I'd think we'd have someone else do that.
Not really. I have 12 cards right now, including the Treachery card from Baltar's revelation, so I need to unload some surplus anyhow.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:
El Guapo wrote:As for where Roslin should be - I dunno if there's one place that's particularly helpful. I guess Galactica or Pegasus' weapons section, then we could XO you to use them to attack the basestars if needed. But given your discard penalty I'd think we'd have someone else do that.
Not really. I have 12 cards right now, including the Treachery card from Baltar's revelation, so I need to unload some surplus anyhow.
Do NOT discard any treachery cards. The one hope they really have right now is destroying Galactica. Discarding treachery allows them the chance to sabotage it.

As for locations for you, mostly they are not useful due to your drawback but maybe the Research Lab to draw some blue cards in case we get desperate for repairs?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

You're going to have to discard one card at the end of your turn anyhow, so you'll be at 10 during our turns.

I dunno. I guess I'd say Pegasus CIC or the President's office. I don't think it too likely that we'll XO you before your turn, though, and one advantage to your office is that you can't wind up in sickbay on account of a location getting damaged. So probably your office, but Pegasus CIC would be the other one.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Ok, well... if there's no advantage in my moving, then I guess I won't move.

I'll play Executive Order 1 on Dee.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Dee discards Guts and Initiative 2 and Launch Scout 1 (I have another) to move from Sickbay to the Pegasus Engine Room. She then uses Repair 1 to repair the Pegasus Engine Room.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zurai wrote:Dee discards Guts and Initiative 2 and Launch Scout 1 (I have another) to move from Sickbay to the Pegasus Engine Room. She then uses Repair 1 to repair the Pegasus Engine Room.
You only need to discard one card.
Black Lives Matter.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Oh, whoops. I coulda sworn it was two.

I'll have to let Turtle adjudicate how to handle this, then, since I shouldn't have revealed that second card. I'll discard the Guts and Initiative, anyway. I have no desire to make checks reckless.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Dee discards Guts and Initiative 2.

Roslin looks at the top 2 crisis cards and must decide which one will be played.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Turn 30 Crisis: Keep Tabs on Visitor
Current Player Chooses
Skill Check: 12 - Politics, Leadership, and Tactics
Pass: No effect.
Fail: Roll a die, if 4 or lower, -2 population.
OR
The current player discards 4 random skill cards.
Raiders Activate
Jump Track Advancement
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Roslin chooses "The current player discards 4 random skill cards."
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Roslin discards:
Investigative Committee 3
Investigative Committee 3

Executive Order 2
Strategic Planning 4

Raiders Activate - 3 raiders move from sector 1 to sector 6.
Jump Track Advancement - Track advances to position 2.

Turn 31: Dee
Enlarge Image

Hand Sizes and Ongoing Effects:
Spoiler:
Player hand sizes:
1. Cavil: 2
2. Roslin: 7 Quorum: 3
3. Dee: 13
4. Boomer: 7
5. Tigh: 6
6. Apollo: 7
7. Baltar: 5

Ongoing Card effects:
Relentless Pursuit: Keep this card in play until a civilian ship or basestar is destroyed. If this card is in play when the fleet jumps, shuffle it back into the crisis deck.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I should have one less card in hand because I played the Repair on Grund's XO.

I believe our previous plan is still the best option, but I'm not going to post an action just yet. I'll note that if we get a Raiders Activate crisis, we'll lose a civvie ship. That's not critical since all of our resources are fairly well off, but I thought I'd point it out.

Assuming no differences of opinion, I'll go forward with the plan to XO Remus tomorrow.

I do have several helpful cards in hand, in particular ways to mess with dice rolls.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

You XO me and I use the Engine room on your turn and my own turn and then Tigh jumps us using the FTL. I don't think we risk losing even if the Raiders activate twice during that and get the civvie in their current hex and the next one as we have enough resources to spare in every category. I have never seen a board with the humans in such a strong position at the end game.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, definitely activate the engine. As long as Dee's crisis doesn't have "basestars activate" then we should be in good shape. Even then we might be ok, depending upon our luck.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:Yeah, definitely activate the engine. As long as Dee's crisis doesn't have "basestars activate" then we should be in good shape. Even then we might be ok, depending upon our luck.
They need for both his and mine to have Basestars activate to have a shot and then they need to hit 3/4 times at 50% each shot. Minus whatever card magic we may be able to pull. They do not even have that going for them right now as they can only use Treachery cards and I do not believe any of them mess with rolls.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Yeah, definitely activate the engine. As long as Dee's crisis doesn't have "basestars activate" then we should be in good shape. Even then we might be ok, depending upon our luck.
They need for both his and mine to have Basestars activate to have a shot and then they need to hit 3/4 times at 50% each shot. Minus whatever card magic we may be able to pull. They do not even have that going for them right now as they can only use Treachery cards and I do not believe any of them mess with rolls.
They hit on 4-8 which is ~62%.

But generally I'm not worried about them destroying Galactica during our turns - even if they activated on the next three crises and hit each time Galactica would be ok because we could allocate 4 hits to Pegasus and 2 to Galactica.

What I"m worried about is if they attack us now and damage either the Pegasus Engine Room or the FTL drive. If they do then we can't guarantee a jump before the cylons move, because we'd need to spend an action we don't have repairing what got damaged. Then if we don't jump they get three turns of guaranteed basestar activation through the cylon fleet location. Of course, if they get basestar activation on your turn it doesn't matter because we don't need the Pegasus Engine room at that point and can allocate any damage to Pegasus.

But we'll worry about that if we get a basestar activation this turn.
Black Lives Matter.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Alright, so it does seem that everyone agrees that XOing Remus is still the ideal course of action. Good enough for me.

Dee stays in the Engine Room and plays Executive Order 2 on Remus/Boomer.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

El Guapo wrote:They hit on 4-8 which is ~62%.
Maybe, maybe not ;)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Uhhh, I deleted the contents of my PM inbox again. I'm waiting for Turtle to resend my hand but I will be discarding to move to the engine room then discarding 2 more cards to activate it.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Launch Scout 1
Discarded to move to the Pegasus Engine room

Maximum Firepower 4
Evasive Maneuvers 2

Discarded to activate the Engine room.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Excellent work on the engine, Boomer. Now just fingers crossed on the crisis...
Black Lives Matter.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Turn 31 Crisis: Network Computers
Current Player Chooses
Skill Check: 11 - Politics, Tactics, and Engineering
Pass: Increase the Jump Preparation track by 1.
Fail: -1 population and place 1 centurion marker at the start of the boarding party track.
OR
-1 population and decrease the Jump Preparation track by 1.
Raiders Activate
Jump Track Advancement
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

crap
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906