Arkham - 8 investigators devoured by Ithaqua

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: Arkham - 8 investigators waiting to be devoured

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pay for a full sanity heal and stay put.

Speed/Sneak 2/2
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Question time folks; the following affect has hit me and i cant eat it; who wants it or do we refuse it:

Remus West wrote:
Your Speak to Your Friend was triggered. You must choose an investigator. That investigator may take a Cult membership. If they refuse, discard the top card of the Corruption deck.

Feel free to post/discuss your choice in thread.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Newcastle wrote:Your Speak to Your Friend was triggered. You must choose an investigator. That investigator may take a Cult membership. If they refuse, discard the top card of the Corruption deck.

What is a Cult membership?
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

I will attempt to cast Mists of Releh to evade the goat girl and move to the magick shoppe for shopping.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:
Newcastle wrote:Your Speak to Your Friend was triggered. You must choose an investigator. That investigator may take a Cult membership. If they refuse, discard the top card of the Corruption deck.

Allows (requires actually) you to draw Cult Encounters rather than normal Arkham encounters at the Woods, Black Cave, and Unvisited Isle.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Turn Order & Upkeep & Orders as I have them so far:
Joe Diamond - Newcastle -
Darrell Simmons - Chaosraven - returning from the Abyss to the Graveyard
Dexter Drake - rshetts2 - advancing in Great Hall of Celeano
Harvey Walter - Gryndyl - Blessing roll 5. Blessing kept - Cast Mists, go to Magik Shoppe
Vincent Lee - RMC -
Mandy Thompson - Qantaga -
Amanda Sharpe - El Guapo -
Jenny Barnes - Isgrimnur - +$1 - remain in Asylum and heal s/s 2/2
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

just to be clear on the mechanics, when and how do I use the find gate spell?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Cult membership doesn't seem too bad right now, especially since we're on the verge of the big fight.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As for me, I could go to the Woods in the hopes of sealing the gate when I come out, now that I have five clues. But we're only one doom token away from the final fight, and if I'm in another dimension when that happens, I'm Lost in Time and Space, right?

Seems like a better option might be to go to get a blessing, though that means sneaking by one monster (though that seems doable).
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

rshetts2 wrote:just to be clear on the mechanics, when and how do I use the find gate spell?
Ah, I forgot about that. You use it during movement and instead of advancing you return to Arkham (assuming a successful cast of the spell).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:As for me, I could go to the Woods in the hopes of sealing the gate when I come out, now that I have five clues. But we're only one doom token away from the final fight, and if I'm in another dimension when that happens, I'm Lost in Time and Space, right?

Seems like a better option might be to go to get a blessing, though that means sneaking by one monster (though that seems doable).
I need to double check the rules but being in another world when the ancient one awakens means nothing. If you are lost in Time And Space when he awakens you are immediately consumed.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

do we have any elder signs or anything that can remove a peg from the doom track?

Also can we visit shops while fighting hte big guy?
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:do we have any elder signs or anything that can remove a peg from the doom track?

Also can we visit shops while fighting hte big guy?
No and no.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Remus West wrote:
Qantaga wrote:

Allows (requires actually) you to draw Cult Encounters rather than normal Arkham encounters at the Woods, Black Cave, and Unvisited Isle.

You can throw the Cult membership on me. I don't think we want to discard any Corruption cards and I can just avoid those locales as the end game approaches.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ill use the find gate spell when its appropriate and then use my clues to attempt to close the gate.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Remus West wrote:Turn Order & Upkeep & Orders as I have them so far:
Dexter Drake - rshetts2 - Using Find Gate spell
Harvey Walter - Gryndyl - Blessing roll 5. Blessing kept - Cast Mists, go to Magik Shoppe
Vincent Lee - RMC -
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So it would take me three turns to seal a gate: (1) move to the gate; (2) move from part 1 of the other dimension to part 2; and (3) move from part 2 of the other dimension back to Arkham, seal gate.

What are the odds of three turns passing without another doom token being added? 5%?

I can't see the map right now, but my plans (unless anyone has a better suggestion) is to change my move to whatever is needed to reach the church, and then give up 5 toughness of monster tokens for a blessing on whichever investigator has the best combat right now. I'll need to sneak by one monster, IIRC.
Black Lives Matter.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Keep stats:

Speed/Sneak: 3/3
Fight/Will: 2/3
Lore/Luck: 4/0

Use the Old Journal to try to get its three clues.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Anyone who can get equipment should do so. Anyone who can get a blessing should do so. When the fight comes we can trade equipment around each round. Anyone with a blessing should have the highest bonuses. What does the badguys combat do?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Qantaga wrote:Keep stats:

Are you going anywhere?
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Remus West wrote:
Qantaga wrote:Keep stats:

Are you going anywhere?

I thought I had to exhaust movement to use the Old Journal. Now, I see it's just one movement point.

I'll have to give this some thought.

I would, ideally, like to get to the Old Church for a blessing. However, I would have to leave speed/sneak at 3/3 to get there (and still use the Old Journal).

What are my odds of sneaking past the Goat Spawn at Sneak 3?

I'm torn between opening the Journal (staying put for a turn) and trying to make a run for the Church (maybe saving the Old Journal until next time and making speed/sneak 2/4).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since I would like to keep myself as healthy as possible to take advantage of Sir William and my re-roll ability in the late game.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The Goat Spawn's awareness would give you a -1 to your evade check so you would roll 2 dice needing one success to sneak past.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Remus West wrote:The Goat Spawn's awareness would give you a -1 to your evade check so you would roll 2 dice needing one success to sneak past.

Thanks Remus.

I'm not sure I like my chances with just two dice.

I think I am going to open the Old Journal and stay in the Boarding House this turn.

Then, I can re-evaluate next turn with more clues and more sneak options available.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

You have a 1/3 chance of a success with either die. Plus clues, depending how many you have and what you were planning with them.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:What does the badguys combat do?
Combat: -3

Start of Battle:
Investigators must roll a die for every item they have, discarding the item on a failure.

Attack:
Each investigator must pass a Fight(+1) check or lose 2 Stamina. This checks modifier decreases by 1 each turn.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:You have a 1/3 chance of a success with either die. Plus clues, depending how many you have and what you were planning with them.
A side note on that is that you may use the journal first to determine if you get clues from it before trying to evade the Goat Spawn or remain where you are.

BTW, right now I am under the impression that Qantaga is going to gain a Cult Membership. I will update with that and the Corruption gained by El Guapo tonight.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

That sucks shoggoth tentacles.
"Where are you off to?"

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Oh i am purposefully holding this up also, since I am pretty sure this is our last turn before the old dude wakes up. I probably can run to the church and get 2 blessings. I think i can get another person with what i have. I intend on blessing myself for one, but happy to do another person. I figure maybe the other person should do some shopping for us for weapons.

I just want us to coordinate strategies for when we fight the big kahuna.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:Oh i am purposefully holding this up also, since I am pretty sure this is our last turn before the old dude wakes up. I probably can run to the church and get 2 blessings. I think i can get another person with what i have. I intend on blessing myself for one, but happy to do another person. I figure maybe the other person should do some shopping for us for weapons.

You can only get a single blessing per turn.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
Newcastle wrote:Oh i am purposefully holding this up also, since I am pretty sure this is our last turn before the old dude wakes up. I probably can run to the church and get 2 blessings. I think i can get another person with what i have. I intend on blessing myself for one, but happy to do another person. I figure maybe the other person should do some shopping for us for weapons.

When you say "you" can only get a single blessing per turn, do you mean each investigator may only get one per turn, or collectively we can only get one blessing per turn?

If Newcastle and I both go, can we each put one blessing on someone?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So I can get:

1) A blessing
2) An ally, OR
3) Deputized (comes with a free gun, as well as a police car FWIW)

Which does everyone think is the best option? Which gun comes with being deputized?
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:
Remus West wrote:

When you say "you" can only get a single blessing per turn, do you mean each investigator may only get one per turn, or collectively we can only get one blessing per turn?

If Newcastle and I both go, can we each put one blessing on someone?
Each investigator can gain one blessing in a turn. The gun that comes with being the deputy is the Deputy's Revolver: +3 to combat and can not be lost or stolen unless you choose to allow it.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Updating the Corruption
Remus West wrote:Mythos:
Gate opens at the Woods

Doom token added to Doom track.
Clue appears at : Independence Square

Monsters Emerge:
Dhole
Byakhee
Goat Spawn

White: Slash, Triangle, Star
Black: Hex

Monsters move:
Goat Spawn moves from the Woods to the Southside street
Goat Spawn moves from Independence Square to the Northside Street
Dark Young moves from Independence Square to Downtown Street
Child of the Goat moves from Independence Square to Downtown Street

Corruptions triggered:
White Slash - Vincent Lee - Creeping Doom - Discard the top two cards of the corruption deck
- Mental Paralysis - White Circle - Each investigator with at least one corruption card skips the next Upkeep Phase.
- The Skin Crawls - White Triangle - Any investigator who ends his movement in the same location as you must pass a Will (-2) check or lose 1 Sanity - triggered - Raise the terror level by 1, then draw a Corruption card.

White Triangle - Joe Diamond - Speak to Your Friend - Choose an investigator. That investigator may take a Cult Membership. If he refuses, discard the top card of the Corruption deck. - Mandy Thompson (Qantaga) gains a Cult Membership

Black Hex - Amanda Sharpe - Endless Greed - Gain $4 and draw a Corruption card.
- Fate and Fortune: White Square - Each investigator with at least one Corruption card is Cursed. Each investigator with no Corruption cards is Blessed.

headline:
Manhunt in Arkham!
All Monsters in locations are returned to the cup.
Dhole, Byakhee, Ghost, Byakhee, and Elder Thing are returned to the cup.

Gates:
Graveyard - Abyss
Unvisted Isle - Great Hall of Celeano
The Woods - ?

Monsters:
Downtown Street
Child of the Goat - Med/low
Dark Young - high

Northside Street
Goat Spawn - med

Southside Street
Goat Spawn - med

Dexter Drake - rshetts2 - Casting Find Gate
Harvey Walter - Gryndyl - Blessing roll 5. Blessing kept - Casting Myst and moving to Magic Shoppe
Vincent Lee - RMC -
Jenny Barnes - Isgrimnur - +$1 - Spending $2 to regain full Sanity

Gates: 3/5
Doom Track: 10/11
Monsters: 4/11
Terror Track: 2

Enlarge Image
You may wish to take note of the new Corruption on Amanda Sharpe as it could impact your decisions.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What are the odds of that corruption getting activated on a given turn? That would suck shoggoth balls.

My orders, unless anyone thinks there's a better option:

Science building --> miskatonic university --> Uptown --> Southside (sneaking past the goat thing) --> Ma's Boarding House. There I'll trade in 5 toughness and 1 gate token for an ally:

Thomas F. Malone - +1 Lore, +1 Fight Draw 1 spell when Thomas F. Malone joins you.
Black Lives Matter.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

what are the remaining available allies? Its my hope that I can close this gate and get to Ma's to get an ally before the doom clock strikes midnite.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Here's a list of allies:

One's that aren't available include:

Anna Kaslow (I gained her through an encounter)
Sir William (already purchased)
Mountain Man (whatever his name was) - fled town
The one who removes physical resistance from monsters (already taken)
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Dexter Drake - rshetts2 - Using Find Gate spell
Vincent Lee - RMC -
Amanda Sharpe - El Guapo - Headed to Ma's Boarding House using Evade on Goat Spawn

Need moves from Newcastle, RMC, and Qantaga
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Remus - can i use the statue at all if the big guy wakes up?dCan i use the statue and still move to the church?

BOttom line though - Also am headed to the church for a blessing this round on myself.

And if i have no weapons left, can i fight the big dude hand to hand? Or do i need a gun in hand?
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:Remus - can i use the statue at all if the big guy wakes up?dCan i use the statue and still move to the church?

BOttom line though - Also am headed to the church for a blessing this round on myself.

And if i have no weapons left, can i fight the big dude hand to hand? Or do i need a gun in hand?
Weapons add to your Combat which is based off of your Fight stat. If you have no weapon then you have no bonus.
You can use the statue now but not after the Ancient one awakens as there will be no movement then.
As for going to the church, how do you wish to deal with trying to get by the Monsters? Movement ends if you fight. You have a Dark Young and a Child of the Goat in the Downtown street and a Goat Spawn in the Southside street between you and the Church. You need to jack your speed to 6 to make the church from the asylum which would leave your sneak at 1 and thus no chance to sneak passed any of the monsters. I don't see you making that happen this turn.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Bummer -

Well looks like i will take out the downtown mobs, and hope that frees people up.

Take on Child of Goat first then the Dark Young.

I guess i have no movements after that, so that stinks. BUmmer, was hoppping to use some of my monster trophies for stuff.

Ah well. Hope an elder sign drops that rolls back the doom tracker.
Bayraktar!!!!