Arkham - 8 investigators devoured by Ithaqua

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Arkham - 8 investigators devoured by Ithaqua

Post by Remus West »

The Black Goat of the Woods - Herald
Ancient One - Ithaqua (who is the only ancient one on the wiki without a proper pic of his sheet)
Spoiler:
Combat: -3
Worshipers:
Ithaqua's worshipers eat the flesh of their fellow men, gaining supernatural power through their dark practice. Cultists have their toughness increased by 2.

Icy Winds:
While Ithaqua stirs in his slumber, any investigator in a street area at the end of the Mythos Phase loses 1 stamina. In addition, all Weather cards are discarded without their special effects taking place.

Start of Battle:
Investigators must roll a die for every item they have, discarding the item on a failure.

Attack:
Each investigator must pass a Fight(+1) check or lose 2 Stamina. This checks modifier decreases by 1 each turn.
Herald:
From the wells of night to the gulfs of space, from the gulfs of space to the wells of night, ever the praises of the Great Ones. Ever their praises and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods! Ia! Ia! The Goat with a Thousand Young!
Spoiler:
When a gate opens, draw a monster from the cup as normal, then draw a second monster from the hexagon cup and place both monsters on the gate's location.

When a monster surge occurs, draw half the monsters(round down) from the hexagon cup.

Hexagon monsters are not removed from the game board when a hexagon gate is closed.

Each time an investigator defeats a hexagon monster, he or she draws a Corruption card.

Lord of the Woods:
Dark Young move as normal monsters.

Pagan Rites:
Each time a monster surge occurs, add one doom token to the doom track
Current Game Map:

Enlarge Image

Players:
1) Isgrminur - Jenny Barnes
Spoiler:
Sanity: 6/6
Stamina: 3/4
Gate Trophies: 1, R'lyeh
Monster Trophies: Child of the Goat, 3 toughness
Money: $9
Clues:
Skills:
Bravery - Any phase: exhaust to re-roll a Horror check

Common Items:

Unique Items:

Spells:

Corruption:
Jealous Guardian - White Circle
main effect - You cannot lose items unless you choose to do so, but you also cannot trade items with other investigators.
triggered effect - Choose to discard half your items, or draw a Corruption card.

Jealous Guardian - Black Circle
main effect - You cannot lose items unless you choose to do so, but you also cannot trade items with other investigators.
triggered effect - Choose to discard half your items, or draw a Corruption card.

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 2/2
Fight/Will: 3/3
Lore/Luck: 4/2
2) Newcastle - Joe Diamond
Spoiler:
Sanity: 3/4
Stamina: 3/6
Gate Trophies: None
Monster Trophies:
Nightgaunt, toughness 2
Dark Young, toughness 3
Cultist, toughness 3
Maniac, toughness 1
Fire Vampire, toughness 1

Allies:
Richard Upton Pickman
+1 Luck, +1 Speed
Your attacks are not affected by Physical Resistance.

Money: $4
Clues: 0
Skills:
Will - +1 Will
when you spend a Clue token to add to any Will check, add one extra bonus die.

Common Items:

Unique Items:

Spells:

Corruption:
Speak to Your Friend - white triangle
Choose an investigator. That investigator may take a Cult Membership. If he refuses, discard the top card of the Corruption deck.

Speak to Your Friend - black triangle
Choose an investigator. That investigator may take a Cult Membership. If he refuses, discard the top card of the Corruption deck.

Special:
"One of the Thousand" Cult Membership
Whenever you have an encounter in the Black Cave, the Unvisited Isle, or the Woods, instead draw a card from the Cult Encounter deck.

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 5/2
Fight/Will: 5/0
Lore/Luck: 0/3
3) Chaosraven - Darrell Simmons
Spoiler:
Sanity: 2/4
Stamina: 5/6
Monster Trophies:
Ghost, toughness 1
Formless Spawn, toughness 2

Money: $8
Clues: 5
Skills:
Sneak - +1 Sneak
When you spend a Clue token to add to any Sneak check, add one extra bonus die

Common Items:

Unique Items:
Holy Water - 2 hands
Magical Weapon
+6 to Combat checks
(discard after use)

Spells:

Corruption:

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 2/3
Fight/Will: 4/2
Lore/Luck: 3/1
4) rshetts2 - Dexter Drake
Spoiler:
Sanity: 3/5
Stamina: 3/5
Monster Trophies:
Child of the Goat, toughness 3

Money: $0
Clues: 0
Skills:
Stealth
Any Phase: Exhaust to re-roll an Evade check

Common Items:

Unique Items:

Spells:
Find Gate

Corruption:
Nightmarish Visions - black star
Lose 2 Sanity, and gain 2 Clue tokens.

Creeping Doom - Black Slash
Discard the top 2 cards of the Corruption deck

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 4/2
Fight/Will: 1/3
Lore/Luck: 4/1
5) Gryndyl - Harvey Walters
Spoiler:
Sanity: 7/7
Stamina: 3/3
Monster Trophies: None
Money: $13
Clues: 2
Skills:
Marksman:
Any Phase: Exhaust to re-roll a Combat check

Special: Blessed

Common Items:

Unique Items:
Holy Water - 2 hands
Magical Weapon
+6 to Combat checks
(Discard after use)

Spells:
Mists of Releh
Casting Modifier: special
Sanity Cost: 0
Any Phase: Cast and exhaust to pass an Evade check. The casting modifier is equal to the monster's Awareness.

Corruption:

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 3/2
Fight/Will: 2/1
Lore/Luck: 5/2
6) RMC - Vincent Lee
Spoiler:
Sanity: 5/5
Stamina: 5/5
Monster Trophies:
Dark Druid, toughness 2
Dark Young, toughness 3
Dimensional Shambler, toughness 1

Money: $10
Clues: 5
Skills:
Sneak - +1 Sneak
When you spend a Clue token to add to any Sneak check, add one extra bonus die.

Luck
+1 Luck
When you spend a Clue token to any Luck check, add one extra bonus die

Common Items:
Cavalry Saber - 1 hand
+2 to Combat checks

Unique Items:

Spells:

Corruption:
Creeping Doom - white slash
Discard the top 2 cards of the Corruption deck.

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 3/2
Fight/Will: 2/2
Lore/Luck: 4/2
7) Qantaga - Mandy Thompson
Spoiler:
Sanity: 5/5
Stamina: 6/6
Gate Trophies: 1 - Yuggoth
Monster Trophies:

Money: $3
Clues: 4
Skills:
Expert Occultist
Any Phase: Exhaust to re-roll a Spell check

Common Items:

Unique Items:

Spells:

Corruption:

Ally:
Sir William Brinton
+1 Maximum Stamina
Discard to immediately restore your Stamina to its maximum

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 3/3
Fight/Will: 2/3
Lore/Luck: 4/0
8) El Guapo - Amanda Sharpe
Spoiler:
Sanity: 2/5
Stamina: 5/5
Gate Trophies: 2 - Another Dimension, Plateau of Leng

Monster Trophies:
Shoggoth, toughness 3
Zombie, toughness 1
Dimensional Shambler, toughness 1
Ghoul, toughness 1
Ghoul, toughness 1

Money: $1
Clues: 4
Skills:
Fight: +1 Fight
When you spend a Clue token to add to any Fight check, add one extra bonus die.

Will: +1 Will
When you spend a Clue token to add to any Will check, add one extra bonus die.

Marksman:
Any Phase: Exhaust to re-roll a Combat check.

Common Items:

Unique Items:
Flute of the Outer Gods
Any Phase: Lose 3 Sanity and 3 Stamina and discard Flute of the Outer Gods before making a Combat check to defeat all monsters in your current area. This does not affect Ancient Ones.

Spells:

Corruption:
Primal Surge - white diamond
triggered: You may move any of your sliders a total of 3 stops. All other investigators must move a skill slider 1 stop.

Endless Greed - Black Hex
You can not lose money unless you choose to spend it, and you do not have to roll to keep Retainers, but you can not give money to other investigators.
triggered: Gain $4 and draw a corruption card.

Fate and Fortune - White Square
triggered: Each investigator with at least one Corruption card is Cursed. Each investigator with no Corruption cards is Blessed.

Allies:
Anna Kaslow
+2 Luck
Gain 2 Clue tokens when Anna Kaslow joins you.

Thomas F. Malone
+1 Lore, +1 Fight
Draw a Spell when Thomas F. Malone joins you.

Current Stats:
Speed/Sneak: 1/4
Fight/Will: 2/3
Lore/Luck: 4/1
Arkham Horror Rules

Black Goat of the Woods Rules

Investigators

Text in spoiler tags is to keep the length of the post managable. Feel free to read it at will.

Now some copy and paste from Gryndyl's last game:

The original game board can be found here. Requires a boardgamegeek account, which you should probably go ahead and get if you don't have one as they're pretty awesome :D

Board Quick Reference Guide:
Spoiler:
These are the locations that give you a choice between encountering the space or a card:

Administration: Classes: Instead of having an encounter here, you may pay $8 to draw 2 Skills. Keep one of them and discard the other.

Arkham Asylum: Psychiatric Care: Instead of having an encounter here, you may recover Sanity by receiving psychiatric care. You may either regain 1 Sanity for free, or pay $2 to restore your Sanity to its maximum value.

Bank of Arkham: Receive a loan of $10. Upkeep: Roll a die. On a 1-3, pay $1 or discard all of your items along with this card. You cannot get another Bank Loan this game.
Any Phase: Pay $10 to pay off your Bank Loan and discard this card. You may choose to take out a new Bank Loan later on during this game.

Curiositie Shoppe: Shop: Instead of having an encounter here, you may draw 3 Unique Items and purchase one of them for its list price. Discard the other two items.

General Store: Shop: Instead of having an encounter here, you may draw 3 Common Items and purchase one of them for its list price. Discard the other two items.

Ma's Boarding House: Recruit: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 10 toughness worth of monster trophies, 2 gate trophies, or 5 toughness worth of monster trophies and 1 gate trophy to take 1 Ally of your choice from the Ally deck.

River Docks: Shady Character: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to gain $5.

Police Station: Deputized: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 10 toughness worth of monster trophies, 2 gate trophies, or 5 toughness worth of monster trophies and 1 gate trophy to become the Deputy of Arkham. Take the Deputy of Arkham card (comes with free gun and police car!).

Science Building: Dissection: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to gain 2 Clue tokens.

South Church: Blessing: Instead of having an encounter here, you may spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies or 1 gate trophy to have any investigator you choose be Blessed.

St. Mary's Hospital: Medical Care: Instead of having an encounter here, you may recover Stamina by receiving medical care. You may either regain 1 Stamina for free, or pay $2 to restore your Stamina to its maximum value.

Ye Olde Magick Shoppe: Magic Lessons: Instead of having an encounter here, you may pay $5 to draw 2 Spells. Keep one of them and discard the other.
Rules Specific to an 8 player game:
Spoiler:
-There can be a maximum of 5 gates open at a time. If there are 5 gates open and another one tries to open then the Old One will awaken.
-The monster limit is 11. Any monsters in excess of 11 go to the Outskirts and go towards raising the terror level. However, the Outskirts limit is zero. In other words, each monster over the limit of 11 causes the terror level to go up a point. If the number of monsters on the board manages to hit 22 then the Old One awakens
-Whenever a new gate opens on an unstable, unsealed location it spawns two monsters instead of one.
-Considering that the maximum number of allowable gates is less than the number of players, monster surges will spawn 8 monsters (equal to number of players). This is definitely something to keep in mind as if there are already 3 or more monsters on the board this is going to cause the terror level to increase, possibly quite significantly
Last edited by Remus West on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 46 times in total.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Re: Arkham

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm permanently INterested. And it's "gauging".
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

watcha talkIN bout willis?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Always willing to take the last spot left.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I really enjoyed Gryndyl's game, so if you get this going I'm in as well.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Correcting the spelling of the guy who would be pulling your encounter cards and rolling your dice may not be in your best interest. Plus, I have no idea what you were talking about. :P :wink:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll remember to quote it next time, teacher.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'll remember to quote it next time, teacher.
Still poking the guy drawing your cards? Teacher may have to give you a lesson in priorities. :P
:tjg:
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Umm... Can I be on a different team that HASN'T antagonized the Great Old One before the game began?
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:Umm... Can I be on a different team that HASN'T antagonized the Great Old One before the game began?
Are you trying to say I'm the great old one? That my visage is so hideous it drives folks insane from horror?

Isgrminur is officially forgiven.

I wouldn't stand to near Chaosraven though. :ninja: :horse:
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

"too near to"
"Where are you off to?"

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Chaosraven wrote:"too near to"
zINg!!
RMC

Post by RMC »

I love playing this in person, so if there is room I would be In. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Burn On You, Remus! :D
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Unagi wrote:
Burn On You, Remus! :D
Nah, I'm aware that I am a to/too retard so it doesn't bother me in the least. However, if someone would point stessier this way he would probably grind his teeth to nibs reading my abuse of the two words.
Remus West

Re: Arkham - need 2 more for 8 investigators

Post by Remus West »

I'm thinking of using the Black Goat in the Woods expansion if folks are into that one. If you guys prefer a different expansion I'm open to that as well (provided I own it).
Qantaga

Re: Arkham - need 2 more for 8 investigators

Post by Qantaga »

Pick me, pick me!

IN
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
El Guapo

Re: Arkham - need 1 more for 8 investigators

Post by El Guapo »

I'm happy to take the last spot, as long as there's tolerance for someone who has never played the game before (and a copy of the rules). :)
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

You may begin choosing your sacrifi^^^^^^^investigators whenever you'd like. Black Goat of the Woods does not bring any new ones to the game so only original ones may be selected.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I have to wait until I get home to take a look at the cards again... It's been a while since I played last..
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Joe Diamond PI reporting in for duty,

or Dexter drake the magician (2nd choice)
Bayraktar!!!!

Qantaga

Re: Arkham - 8 investigators waiting to be devoured

Post by Qantaga »

Mandy Thompson (the Researcher) please.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

The Reporter, please.
"Where are you off to?"

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jenny Barnes, Dilettante
RMC

Post by RMC »

Vincent Lee you can all just call me 'The Doctor'

:horse:
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Well if Newcastle is going with the PI Ill take Dexter Drake. If he would prefer Drake then Ill go with the PI
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

rshetts2 wrote:Well if Newcastle is going with the PI Ill take Dexter Drake. If he would prefer Drake then Ill go with the PI

hi dexter drake!

-sincerely,

Joe D.
Bayraktar!!!!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Don't worry, don't worry, the Federal government is here to sort this mess out, ya backwards locals.

Name's Roland Banks - I'm the Fed.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:Don't worry, don't worry, the Federal government is here to sort this mess out, ya backwards locals.

Name's Roland Banks - I'm the Fed.
The Fed is actually an expansion character. Please choose one of the investigators without an expansion symbol.

Also, how do folks feel about playing the Herald variant?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:The Reporter, please.
Expansion character. Please choose one that does not have an expansion symbol next to their name.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Simmons is the Photographer?
"Where are you off to?"

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:Simmons is the Photographer?
Ah, the Photographer is a different character than the reporter. The reporter is the guy that begins cursed.

Photog it is for you.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Thanx, that's who I wanted.
"Where are you off to?"

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ah, sorry about that. Then I'll go with Amanda Sharpe - student. Seems like fun, and hey, who doesn't want to get devoured if things go badly?

By the way, just let me know if I'm doing something completely boneheaded. In general I'd like to figure things out myself (though this being a coop game, with advice from everyone), but if I'm doing something completely n00bish just give me a heads up. :)
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Set up has begun. I PM'd those that have choices to make during set up.
Gryndyl still gets to pick his Investigator before completing that. I may post some map images in the mean time as I try to master Gimp image editing.
Nobody has mentioned the Herald Variant yet so maybe you missed me asking.

Please vote yes/no using the accuse tags on whether or not you wish to play the Herald Variant or the basic expansion rules.

Either way I am not using the difficulty cards.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

no idea what the herald variant is.....care to explain? otherwise am neutral on that one.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:no idea what the herald variant is.....care to explain? otherwise am neutral on that one.
Well, you could click the link I posted to the Black Goat of the Woods rules........but here is the pertinent part:
“The Herald” Variant
In this variant, the Black Goat of the Woods, a powerful and malevolent being,
has appeared to prepare the way for the Ancient One. This increases the difficulty
of the game and makes use of the Black Goat of the Woods herald sheet
and a special monster cup.
Setup
Set up the Arkham Horror base board game as normal, performing the following
additional steps during Steps 5 and 11.
5a. Place the Black Goat of the Woods herald sheet to the left of the Ancient
One sheet.
11a. Set aside all monster markers with the hexagon dimension symbol to form
a second monster cup. This is referred to as the hexagon cup.
Gameplay
This variant uses all of the standard rules and victory conditions, and adds the
rules listed on the Black Goat of the Woods herald sheet:
When a gate opens, draw a monster from the cup as normal, • then draw a second
monster from the hexagon cup and place both monsters on the gate’s location.
• When a monster surge occurs, draw half the monsters from the hexagon cup
(round down).
• Hexagon monsters are not removed from the game board when a hexagon gate
is closed.
• Each time an investigator defeats a hexagon monster, he or she draws a
Corruption card.
• Dark Young move as normal monsters.
• Each time a monster surge occurs, add a doom token to the doom track.
• Note that even if the hexagon cup is depleted of monsters, players should continue
to draw monsters from the regular cup as normal.
This basically jacks up the danger from Monsters - both clogging the board and getting so many the terror level goes up (outskirts limit is zero with 8 investigators). It also makes Corruption cards enter play more often and they can add a bit of interest to the game.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Sorry didnt see it from my brief skim through of the rules (i did look at em).

Sure, I am all for it. But willing to go with how the group rolls.
Bayraktar!!!!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

no preference 

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

hark the Herald Old Ones bring 

hell yeah!
"Where are you off to?"