Battlestar Galactica Boardgame Exodus Recruiting thread

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Turtle

Battlestar Galactica Boardgame Exodus Recruiting thread

Post by Turtle »

I'm posting this thread to recruit players to play in the third forum game of the Battlestar Galactica Boardgame, this time with the Exodus expansion.

Anyone who is interested reply and read through the rules provided below:

Battlestar Galactica Base Rules
Pegasus Expansion Rules
Exodus Expansion Rules
FAQ and Errata, from the publisher’s website
El Guapo

Re: Battlestar Galactica Boardgame Exodus Recruiting thread

Post by El Guapo »

Definitely in!
Black Lives Matter.
redrun

Post by redrun »

I should like to be IN.
Sufficient I am to the day.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Are there new characters introduced in Exodus?

Also, didn't we accidentally push someone out of the last BSG game that was in the discontinued BSG game? Was he going to get a slot in the next game if he wanted it?
Black Lives Matter.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

We'll see who is interested in the third game. Then priority goes to anyone in the last two games so we get some more experienced players in.

Check the "Battlestar Galactica Boardgame 3 - Exodus" thread, second post, for a list of all the characters you can take.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I'm INterested, since I'd like to try someone other than the President, but I'm also willing to step aside to make room either for someone who was bumped or someone who's desperately eager.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Oh and specifically, there are 4 new characters one for each type.

Military: Felix Gaeta
Pilot: Samuel T. Anders
Political Leader: Tori Foster
Support: Callandra "Callie" Tyrol

We'll be randomizing the selection process again since this will be a completely new game, rather than a restart of a previous game.
Last edited by Turtle on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I'm in.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

To clarify: we're NOT using the Ionian Nebula option, right? No Trauma tokens, Ally cards, etc?

I ask because the basic rules for it are included in the game post spoilered rules, but it's not listed as a game option being used at the top of the post.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If you need one I will happily play. Count me in.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
RMC

Post by RMC »

I love this game, so I am in, if there is room.

I went out and bought this game based on the online game. I still need to buy Exodus, but I have the Pegasus expansion. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Which destination are we using? Since we're not using the Ionian Nebula rules I'm assuming we're not using that destination, but are we using New Caprica or Kobol?
Black Lives Matter.
Lars

Post by Lars »

If there is still room, I'd love to give it another shot.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm in please. I've played one game with the expansion and I think it works pretty good.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

We'll be using Kobol as our objective. New Caprica and Ionian Nebula require a bit more time than I have right now.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Once again we have more signed up than can play. The max is a 7 player game, but we've done that twice already, so it's time to shake things up a little. We'll be playing a 6 player Exodus game without the Cylon Leader (unless someone really wants to play one) with people who have played the forum game already.

The game should pass a bit quicker, and be easier to manage (especially since I'm testing new methods to make things even easier to manage). I'll see about running a 4-6 player smaller game with newer players.

All-Star 6 Player Pegasus + Exodus Game:
El Guapo
Grundbegriff
Zurai
Remus West
Lars
Scoop20906

Intro BSG game:
redrun
RMC
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

redrun should not be listed as a "new" BSG player. New to playing on the forum, sure. Definitely not new to the game. I do not think either of us have played with more than the Pegasus expansion though so I'm going to be needing in game advice from people there.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Turtle wrote:Once again we have more signed up than can play. The max is a 7 player game, but we've done that twice already, so it's time to shake things up a little. We'll be playing a 6 player Exodus game without the Cylon Leader (unless someone really wants to play one) with people who have played the forum game already.

The game should pass a bit quicker, and be easier to manage (especially since I'm testing new methods to make things even easier to manage). I'll see about running a 4-6 player smaller game with newer players.

El Guapo
Grundbegriff
Zurai
Remus West
Lars
Scoop20906

Intro BSG game:
redrun
RMC
When you are drawing characters I would prefer you randomize my character this time. Thanks turtle.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Turtle wrote:Once again we have more signed up than can play. The max is a 7 player game, but we've done that twice already, so it's time to shake things up a little. We'll be playing a 6 player Exodus game without the Cylon Leader (unless someone really wants to play one) with people who have played the forum game already.

El Guapo
Grundbegriff
Zurai
Remus West
Lars
Scoop20906

Intro BSG game:
redrun
RMC
When you are drawing characters I would prefer you randomize my character this time. Thanks turtle.
To be clear, the way it typically works is that the turn order is randomized, then each player in turn picks their character. Each pick is limited by the categories of characters that previous players have picked such that you can't pick from a category (military, political etc.) that another player has picked from unless the other categories have as many characters chosen. And no one has to pick a support character at any point.

So Person 1 picks a military character. Person 2 can't pick military now, but picks a political character. Person 3 can't pick military or political, and picks a pilot. For person 4, since military political and pilots all have an equal number of characters (1), can pick from any of those, or pick a support character - let's say they pick a political character. Now person 5 can't pick political (since there are 2 to 1 of the others), but can pick military, pilot, or support.

So you could I suppose ask Turtle to randomly draw your character (within the above picking rules), but that's the usual process.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Turtle, if I understand your post in the game Exodus thread, it sounds like we're playing with both Personal Goal loyalty cards and Final Five loyalty cards, right?

From the rules, it sounds like Final Five cards don't do anything unless they're looked at by another player, right? I.e. whereas with personal loyalty cards they revealed and discarded when the relevant conditions are met, but with final five cards you don't do anything other than hope/discourage other players from looking at them?
Black Lives Matter.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'll be reading diligently again. Make this one a little more exciting, would you? :)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hentzau wrote:I'll be reading diligently again. Make this one a little more exciting, would you? :)
Why don't you sign up for the "intro" game that Turtle is suggesting? You could single handedly make it more exciting!
Black Lives Matter.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I think it's a pretty safe bet that this game will be more exciting. We had basically no threat from the Cylon fleet that last game; the Cylon Fleet rules in Exodus should change that dramatically. I'm sure the personal agendas will also spice things up some, since from what I've read, they're specifically designed to make humans act against the interests of the fleet in certain regards.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

El Guapo wrote:
hentzau wrote:I'll be reading diligently again. Make this one a little more exciting, would you? :)
Why don't you sign up for the "intro" game that Turtle is suggesting? You could single handedly make it more exciting!
i could potentially be interested in a newbie game.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Let's begin character selection.

Turn Order:
1. El Guapo - Political Leader - Tory Foster
2. Remus West - Support - Calandra "Callie" Tyrol
3. Grundbegriff - Pilot - Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
4. Scoop20906 - Military Leader - Karl "Helo" Agathon
5. Zurai
6. Lars

Refer to this post for characters:
viewtopic.php?p=1697545#p1697545" target="_blank

And rules on character selection:
Each player chooses a character in turn order. Selection of Political Leaders, Military Leaders, and Pilots is restricted if there are more of the other types of characters, Support characters may be chosen at any time, and at most one Cylon Leader character may be selected.

The first player draws their full Skill Card Draw to start the first turn, while all other players draw three cards from their normal Skill Card Draw to start the game. Cylon Leaders draw only two cards to start, the size of their normal draw.
Last edited by Turtle on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've done the admiral thing twice now, so not a military character.

Hmmm...let's go political. Let's try out one of the new characters, so I'll choose Tory Foster.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Do we have a link to cards for each of the new characters? I'd like to look them over before making my choice as I have not seen them before.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:Do we have a link to cards for each of the new characters? I'd like to look them over before making my choice as I have not seen them before.
The character descriptions are in the other thread linked to. Pictures of the cards if you need to see them, what I usually do is google image search +"[character name]" +"character card"

Edit: looks like the new Exodus ones are linked to on the BGG page:

Tory Foster: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/888108/b ... -expansion" target="_blank

Samuel T. Anders: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/847210/b ... -expansion" target="_blank

Felix Gaeta: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/867553/b ... -expansion" target="_blank

Cally: http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic864083_md.jpg" target="_blank
Last edited by El Guapo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I will try Calandra Tyrol.
Gimme a gun. :twisted:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I'm here and I'm reading the descriptions.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:I will try Calandra Tyrol.
Great, the guy who spent all last game falsely accusing me of being a cylon picks the trigger happy pistol-wielding character. :P
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Hey turtle, when my turn comes up just randomly select my character from the types that would normally be available to me. I like not knowing who I am when I wake from the resurrection tank. :twisted:

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Well, I'm excluded from Political, so that puts me well out of my comfort zone as a two-term president.

I'm looking to play outside the Leadership/Politics sectors. I'm just not sure how far outside.

Gaeta looks like an interesting character. Among support, do you think Dee's ability to move civilian ships around might be particularly relevant under the expanded rules? Boomer seems to be the only character who totally lacks pol/lead.

Any suggestions?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'd probably stay away from Dee. We already have an engineer, so as long as we get another character who draws 1 engineering I think we should be good there, and Dee's moving ships ability doesn't seem all that good. It could be different with the new rules, but then I think pilots can move civvies around, and it doesn't seem likely that we'd need to move many more than 2 with communications (and if we did, it would have to be on Dee's turn for it to be useful).

Gaeta is tempting - his abilities look pretty useful, and his drawback is pretty negligible (I think only once last game did anyone contribute more than 3 cards to a check). His OPG is useful both if the admiral is a cylon (or Gaeta is), and can get him out of the Brig.

Boomer's abilities are among the most powerful in the game IMHO, but you have to take the added complication of getting stuck in the brig with that.

Anyways, if you go military I'd say either Cain or Gaeta are solid choices. For piloting Boomer's a good choice. If you don't want to go Poly/lead I think Starbuck doesn't have as heavy a hand in those as Lee.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grundbegriff wrote:I think I'll try Boomer.
We need good pilots.

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Scoop20906 wrote:
We need good pilots.
Is that an endorsement or a criticism? :)
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Scoop's random choice is: Military Leader - Karl "Helo" Agathon

(Which is interesting since Helo has the Piloting skill, he can actually jump in a viper.)

Next up is Zurai.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:
Remus West wrote:I will try Calandra Tyrol.
Great, the guy who spent all last game falsely accusing me of being a cylon picks the trigger happy pistol-wielding character. :P
I'm pretty certain I managed to accuse everyone last game at one point or another. I figure if you can not be certain then you should kill them all and let God sort it out. Or the recycle center. Whichever applies in each case. :horse:
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:
We need good pilots.
Is that an endorsement or a criticism? :)
Uh, since your are my CAG then endorsement, Sir!