X Files - Very Early Pre-Planning

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Qantaga

X Files - Very Early Pre-Planning

Post by Qantaga »

Here is my idea for an X Files game.

This is a very ROUGH DRAFT and, of course, intended to fall wherever it may in the upcoming series of games. I know it still needs tweaks, but I wanted to put it out in rough form to get advice. I have had to play slightly with the series' lore to make it fit into a WW type game. However, if anyone has suggestions for a better series character to fill a certain role, I can easily change them out.

I welcome any and all suggestions, criticisms, additions, subtractions, etc., especially in regards to competitive balance.

GOOD

Fox Mulder:

Fox Mulder - Mulder scans each night to find the force of evil. He will only be told good/evil. If he scans a susceptible agent before the Cigarette Smoking Man does, he will be told good. If after, he will be told evil. In addition, his nightly scan will block the scan of the Cigarette Smoking Man or a susceptible agent, if he scans one of them at night. They will be told of the block (thus delaying their connections for a single night), so they will know they've found each other, but they will have to scan again the next night to activate. Mulder will not be told of the block.

Dana Scully:

Dana Scully - As Scully is pulled deeper into the conspiracy surrounding Mulder, she is torn between her science and Mulder's faith. She has a one-time power that can either kill or heal. She may choose once during the game to revive a player or she may choose instead to shoot a player (her shot will kill anyone, even a player under protection). Once she chooses a power, the other power will be forfeit. She will *not* be revealed when she heals or kills. In addition, Scully will have the ability to perform autopsies each night in secret. She may scan one dead player each night to learn their true identity.

Melvin Frohike:

Melvin Frohike - Frohike is a member of the conspiracy chasing Lone Gunmen (on left in picture). He will have the ability to protect one player each night (think of it as a tip for that player to get far away from the coming danger). He may self protect. He may not protect the same player on consecutive nights. His protection only works against Aliens and will not prevent a kill by Shadows.

Walter Skinner:

Walter Skinner - Skinner has seen behind the curtain of the conspiracy woven by the Shadows. He has the ability to protect one player each night. He may self protect. He may not protect the same player on consecutive nights. His protection will work only against Shadows and will not prevent a kill by Aliens.

Marita Covarrubias:

Marita Covarrubias - Marita has fringe information into the heart of the Shadow conspiracy. Her long days in the Syndicate have led her to be wary of the Cigarette Smoking Man. Once a game, she will have the power to shoot someone. Her shot will only have the power to kill a Shadow. Her shot will not kill an Alien or a Good player. She must take the shot in secret. If she announces (or even gives too blatant of a hint) her identity in the game thread, she will die, as the Shadows will immediately mark her for death.

X:

X - X has been chasing the Shadow conspirators for a long time. In his pursuit, he has stumbled across secret Alien data and now believes that he can spot an Alien in certain circumstances. Once a game, he will have the power to shoot someone. His shot will kill an Alien. His shot will not kill a Shadow or a Good player.He must take the shot in secret. If he announces (or even gives too blatant of a hint) his identity in the game thread, he will die, as the Shadows will immediately mark him for death.

FBI Agents:

FBI Agents - FBI Agents have no special powers. They work with Mulder and Scully to try to track down and eliminate the Aliens and the Shadows.

ALIENS

Bounty Hunter:

Bounty Hunter - The Alien Bounty Hunter is relentless in his pursuit of humans who threaten his mission. Each night, along with his partners, he will submit a target to kill. There will be no kill if he tries to kill the player protected by Frohike. He will also have the one-time ability to infect a player with a vial of Black Oil. If he infects a player, they will immediately join the Alien team. However, his infection will not work against Frohike, anyone being protected by Frohike, the Cigarette Smoking Man, or any active Shadows. If he tries to infect any of those players, his infection will fail. Any infected special will join the Alien team with their abilities intact (if they haven't used them yet).

Gregor:

Gregor - Gregor is one of a series of doctors who are Human-Alien hybrid clones. Gregor will be able to choose a dead player to scan at night. Gregor will be told their role.

Alien Colonist:

Alien Colonist - The Alien Colonist hides in various cloned forms, sometimes even in the guise of Mulder's abducted, and now grown, sister Samantha. The Alien Colonist carries a jar of very special bees with it at all times. If lynched, it will be able to unleash the bees on the player of its choice. The bees will not be able kill the player protected by Frohike or the Cigarette Smoking Man.

SHADOWS

Cigarette Smoking Man:

Cigarette Smoking Man - The Cigarette Smoking Man has been manipulating events from the shadows for a long time now. However, as Mulder gains more knowledge of the Aliens and also the Cigarette Smoking Man's own agenda, there is a need for new recruits. He will look for susceptible agents to help him eliminate Mulder's threat and also any renegade Aliens. Each night, he will submit a scan. If he finds a susceptible agent, he will enlist him into the Shadows. Once he has one susceptible agent in place, he may direct that agent to kill a player at night. He will not succeed in killing an Alien or anyone under the protection of Skinner. He may choose not to kill and submit a scan to try to find his second susceptible agent, but he may not do both on the same night.

Alex Krycek:

Alex Krycek: Alex is an agent susceptible to the influence of the Cigarette Smoking Man. Each night, Alex may submit a scan. If he finds the Cigarette Smoking Man (of if the Cigarette Smoking Man's scan finds him), he will join the Shadow team.

Crew Cut Man:

Crew Cut Man: The Crew Cut Man is also an agent susceptible to the influence of the Cigarette Smoking Man. Each night, Alex may submit a scan. If he finds the Cigarette Smoking Man (of if the Cigarette Smoking Man's scan finds him), he will join the Shadow team.

General Rules/Notes:

Turn Order:

1. Skinner and Frohike protect.
2. Mulder scans.
3. Scully scans.
4. Cigarette Smoking Man, Krycek, and Crew Cut Man scan.
5. Shadows kill (if applicable)
6. Aliens kill

- Marita and X shots will take place as soon as they PM them to me (game day or night) and I can get them written up. There will only be a write-up if the shot hits the appropriate target (keeping the mystery of whether they've been used or not).

- For Marita and X, I will be very strict in my interpretation of them "revealing" that they took the shot in the thread. If I can figure out that they are hinting at being the shooter, then the Aliens or Shadows would be able to figure it out, too.

- Once the Shadows are activated, there can be two kills in a given night (three or four if Marita and X shoot successfully by night, as well). However, if the Aliens and the Shadows target the same player, there will be only one kill.

- Krycek and the Crew Cut Man are considered Good players until they are activated as Shadows. The Cigarette Smoking Man is never considered a part of the Good team.

- If the Cigarette Smoking Man is killed before activating one of the susceptible agents, the Shadow faction will cease to exist. Krycek and Crew Cut Man then remain Good FBI agents. If one of them has been activated, then the Shadows live on, of course.

Victory Conditiions:

- The Good team wins when all Aliens and Shadows have been lynched.
- The Aliens win when their number equals or exceeds remaining Good players and Shadows.
- The Shadows win when their number equals or exceeds remaining Good players and Aliens.
- In the unlikely event that it gets down to one Alien and one Shadow, the Shadows will win.

I'm sure there will be plenty more notes to come, but I think that's it for now.

Questions:

- I am choosing not to reveal when shots are takens or a rez is given. With so many roles, I wanted to let the shooters have a place to hide, if they didn't want to be revealed. I'd welcome any feedback on the wisdom of the shot not revealing the shooter.
- Is Scully too powered with nightly scans of the dead and the shot/rez? Should I split out those to two separate players? I thought these powers fit with her character in the show.
- I have it now that the Aliens and teh Shadows cannot kill each other by night, but I don't know if that's a good idea. It sounds good (to me) in theory, but I wonder if it's not very practical. Fixed that so that Aliens and Shadows can kill each other by night (as long as they don't encounter the appropriate protector).
Last edited by Qantaga on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Isgrimnur

Re: X Files - Very Early Pre-Planning

Post by Isgrimnur »

[quote="Qantaga"][/quote]

This pic needs to be re-hosted, as all I see is a "no hotlinking" placeholder.

*Link removed.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Isgrimnur wrote:This pic needs to be re-hosted, as all I see is a "no hotlinking" placeholder.

Sorry about that. I'll remove it until I can find a better one.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I haven't read through it all yet, but just from scrolling - are all those powers going to be in the game? You're going to have to get like 37 people to sign up! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

stessier wrote:I haven't read through it all yet, but just from scrolling - are all those powers going to be in the game? You're going to have to get like 37 people to sign up! :)

Well, Marita and X are very limited powers. They're not much more than plain vanilla agents who might get in a lucky shot on either an Alien or a Shadow. While Skinner and Frohike are really just two agents each doing a half of one job.

But, yes, I can easily tweak the number of powereds down. :)
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Qantaga wrote:
stessier wrote:I haven't read through it all yet, but just from scrolling - are all those powers going to be in the game? You're going to have to get like 37 people to sign up! :)

Well, Marita and X are very limited powers. They're not much more than plain vanilla agents who might get in a lucky shot on either an Alien or a Shadow. While Skinner and Frohike are really just two agents each doing a half of one job.

But, yes, I can easily tweak the number of powereds down. :)
yeah i havent read it thoroughly but seemed like a lot of "powered" such (based on the whole scientific reasoning of seeing all those pictures). Not sure of the ratio of powered to villagers to evils are....
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

I see what stess and Newcastle are getting at.

I like pictures. :)

So, here's the quick breakdown of specials:

Good Guys:

Mulder: Seer
Scully: Coroner, with 1 time ability to heal/shoot
Frohike and Skinner: can only protect against one evil faction each, so two players = 1 special
Marita and X: very limited one time shot ability to take out a baddie = normal villager who might get in a lucky shot (I put them in to offset the infection given to the Aliens)

Bad Guys:

Infection/Conversion
Coroner
"Splodie

2nd Bad Faction that might open up with scans, power to get a second nightly kill, if activated.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

If Q comes back I'd love to see this get a 2nd look.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Scoop20906 wrote:If Q comes back I'd love to see this get a 2nd look.

Sccop - i think he's gone. Flown the coop, gone in the wind. Somewhere out there. I dont think he's coming back. :cry:

no evidence to support it, but he's pretty diligent about attending stuff when he says he will. He never came back. No evidence to support it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Enlarge Image

sayoulala

Post by sayoulala »

His protection only works against Aliens and will not prevent a kill by Shadows.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Q? Is that you?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:Q? Is that you?
I had the same hope when I saw this thread pop up, but sayoulala looks like a bot - the post is a random line from the rules post, not responding to anyone.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Damn that is fiendish. You know if I signed up a few of these bots for a OO game they might make an interesting game to watch.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:Damn that is fiendish. You know if I signed up a few of these bots for a OO game they might make an interesting game to watch.
I mean, bots couldn't really do worse on Day 1 than the typical human-run village.
Black Lives Matter.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

El Guapo wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Damn that is fiendish. You know if I signed up a few of these bots for a OO game they might make an interesting game to watch.
I mean, bots couldn't really do worse on Day 1 than the typical human-run village.
Would be quite epic to hear a few bots exchange analysis
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Vorret wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Would be quite epic to hear a few bots exchange analysis
We would probably also get some great tips on weight loss products at the same time.
Black Lives Matter.
RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

I'd be  in 

Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

In as long as Chris Carter isn't writing this one.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

There are a lot of possible roles in this game so let's see how many people sign up.

Players
1) RevHempus71
2) Scoop20906
3) RMC
4) El Guapo
5) bb2112
6) Isgrimnur
7) Chaosraven
Last edited by Moliere on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I was so confused by this. For anyone who is not looking at the "queue of games" thread, Moliere is taking over planning this game.

Anyway, I am  in 

Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Ah, we are going to sign up here? Well ok.

IN
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

IN

But I would suggest you copy and paste the OP in your own thread so you can adjust title, rules, etc
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chaosraven wrote:But I would suggest you copy and paste the OP in your own thread so you can adjust title, rules, etc
I agree with you and normally I would make the change, but in this case as an In Memoriam to Qantaga I wanted to continue using his thread.

I would like suggestions for any rule changes and priority of the specials since not all of them will be used and some have duplicated powers.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:But I would suggest you copy and paste the OP in your own thread so you can adjust title, rules, etc
I agree with you and normally I would make the change, but in this case as an In Memoriam to Qantaga I wanted to continue using his thread.

I would like suggestions for any rule changes and priority of the specials since not all of them will be used and some have duplicated powers.
Is it confirmed that Qantaga passed away? I know he suddenly disappeared in a worrisome way, but I hadn't heard that there was actual confirmation of what happened to him.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

Is it confirmed that Qantaga passed away? I know he suddenly disappeared in a worrisome way, but I hadn't heard that there was actual confirmation of what happened to him.
Either that or just his general absence from all of his gaming connections. Didn't he go missing from Steam, XBox, et al?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

Either that or just his general absence from all of his gaming connections. Didn't he go missing from Steam, XBox, et al?
I believe so. And that's definitely troubling, but it's short of confirmation that he died, at least.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

I believe so. And that's definitely troubling, but it's short of confirmation that he died, at least.
My PM to him 2 years ago asking if he was ok still sits in the outgoing box. No reply to the gmail email I sent. I think it is safe to say he passed away. To leave in the middle of a WW game and never to return is very unlike him. :(
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

My PM to him 2 years ago asking if he was ok still sits in the outgoing box. No reply to the gmail email I sent. I think it is safe to say he passed away. To leave in the middle of a WW game and never to return is very unlike him. :(
I know, and I agree. But there's a kernel of hope.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We have 7 people. Anyone else that you want to ask to play?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

El Guapo wrote:
Lassr wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Moliere wrote:

I know, and I agree. But there's a kernel of hope.
Does anyone have an idea how old qantaga is?

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Where is:

Vorret
Stessier
Grundbegriff
Remus West
Tru1cy
Holman
Newcastle
Semaj
Theohall
Unagi
Kenetickid

Just to name a couple off the top of my head...
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

RE: Qantaga

When he disappeared, I tried to do a search of obituaries of the time frame that he disappeared. I believe he was located in the Atlanta area, so I searched there. Nothing came up. I also got a Playstation nickname somehow and sent that a PM querying about Qantaga. No one responded.

I know Issy had some information on him via an old GG profile I believe.

As to scoops question - i think he's in the 40-50 age bracket.

I like to think that he gave up on technology and moved out to the Canadian woodlands of Northern Alberta. His only regret being that he couldn't say goodbye to his favorite WW mates.
Bayraktar!!!!

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Sure sure I'm in !
Isgrimnur wrote:
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Yeah, I searched a bit on the web as well but couldn't find any relevant information either.
Isgrimnur wrote: