[WW] Princess Bride - Signups Closed

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Qantaga

Re: [WW] Princess Bride - Planning and Signups

Post by Qantaga »

stessier wrote:One thing to consider (and remember, I haven't read the rules) is that even though each Seer can only find one players, you have to guard against them becoming trusted when they come out. Cause if all 5 come out, what happens? What would stop them from all coming out on Day 1? Asking those type of questions might help you see if it is fair or not.

I have been thinking this through over the past couple of days.

I do think it would be unwise for the good special "Seers" to mass reveal. As Chaos mentioned, with one bad team and a possible second, the specials would have a very limited lifespan.

As far as the individual roles are concerned:

1. Westley needs to be able to protect against the Dread Pirate attacks (if they activate), so he will need to stay hidden.
2. Buttercup will not want to reveal before she finds Vizzini or the Evils will kill her before she can steal the iocane.
3. Inigo will want to stay hidden until he finds Rugen, otherwise Rugen will scan him and kill him.
4. The Ancient Booer will have less consequence to revealing, but even she will want to stay hidden until she can find Humperdink.
5. Fezzik will need to stay hidden, since the Evils have the kill ability from the beginning of the game.
6. Max will need to stay hidden until he uses his rez. Even then, the write-up will not reveal him. He will most likely be able to prove himself, but he won't be definitively proven.

As I mentioned earlier, a mass reveal would also considerably shrink the pool of players for the Pirates to scan and greatly increase their odds of activating.

I don't think a mass reveal would benefit the good team, but I would be grateful if anyone would like to examine this more closely and let me know if they agree with my reasoning, or if there is a possible danger of a mass reveal.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Scoop20906

Re: [WW] Princess Bride - Signups - Starting Soon

Post by Scoop20906 »

bb2112 wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Scoop is IN. 8-)
Scoop! Hope you had a good break my man!

How are you going to kill the seer this game? :wink:
Yeah, no clue how I will keep that streak alive especially if I turn out good.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scoop20906 wrote:
bb2112 wrote:

It's not really that hard to kill the seer when you are good, just ask me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
:ninja:
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

The game is virtually ready. (There's still room for a few more, if anyone is interested).

Unfortunately, tomorrow will be a long work day at a customer site (meaning I'm bogged down with data tonight), followed by a long drive home tomorrow evening. I'll leave the sign-ups open through tomorrow (Friday). Then, I'll get the roles out this weekend, so the game will be fully engaged by Monday morning.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Ya Villainous Crook-Painted Harper-Muggers, yarr!!

Avalonian Insult Kit (the best RPG aid ever written).
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Lagom Lite wrote:Ya Villainous Crook-Painted Harper-Muggers, yarr!!

Avalonian Insult Kit (the best RPG aid ever written).
Ya frothy fen sucked moldwarp

Wow, that link can be hours of fun!
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Scoop20906 wrote:
bb2112 wrote:

I'm just wondering how you are going to spoof five roles to get all five Seers killed.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

theohall wrote: I'm just wondering how you are going to spoof five roles to get all five Seers killed.
If anybody can do it, Scoop can! :pop:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is it too early to start dropping hints about my role?

Let's try it out: "Hey, everyone! Just making idle chit chat which is seemingly meaningless. Say, has anyone seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes? I think the character in that movie that I most identified with is the one who has all five seer roles. He rocks."
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I can be in if no one minds my likely -to-be-complete lack of participation for the dates of the 8th through the 11th. I will be in Cincy on business travel, so work access will impossible, and after hours access will be merely improbable.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ezmating!

Isgrimnur 

Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hey look, I read the rules! :lol:

A few questions:

Are there going to be time limits for Day/Night? What happens if the time limit is reached without an action occurring?

Scenario: Dread Pirate Roberts finds his Pirate. Dread Pirate Roberts dies. Pirate becomes new Dread Pirate Roberts.

Does Wesleys scan still work on the new Roberts? Does his protection? Does the new Roberts get to continue scanning for the 2nd Pirate?

The write up for Vizzini could drop the part about not mentioning why there was no extra death. We won't know that there was supposed to be an extra death, so we won't be concerned when one didn't occur. Only Evil Team will know a) that it is because the target was Wesley or b) that the powder was stolen.

I think if Roberts is killed before activating the fleet, he should still reveal as Pirate. I think Good needs to know that information.

What happens if Pirate #1 or Pirate #2 is converted? Are they still in the line of succession for the Dread Pirate title? What is their winning condition at that point?

I think that's it for now. I hope I'm a Pirate! Arghhhhh! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
theohall

Post by theohall »

El Guapo wrote:Is it too early to start dropping hints about my role?

Let's try it out: "Hey, everyone! Just making idle chit chat which is seemingly meaningless. Say, has anyone seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes? I think the character in that movie that I most identified with is the one who has all five seer roles. He rocks."
 El Guapo 

for copying Scoop.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Id like to be INigo just so I can use his awesome "prepare to die" speech!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

stessier wrote:Hey look, I read the rules! :lol:
Sweet! :)
stessier wrote:Are there going to be time limits for Day/Night? What happens if the time limit is reached without an action occurring?

Yes, there will be time limits. The day time limit will probably be the same as Lassr's and bb2112's games. If the deadline is reached without a lynch majority, night will fall without a lynch.

The night limit will be 48 weekday hours. So, if night falls at 9:00 pm Tuesday the deadline will be will be 9:00 pm Thursday. If the night falls at 9:00 pm Thursday, the deadline will be 9:00 pm Monday. However, I will do everything in my power to encourage specials to get their night orders turned in well in advance of the 48 hours, but I know that real life intrudes from time to time.

I will send a PM reminder at the 24 hour mark to anyone who has not submitted a night order by then, reminding them that they have 24 hours before the deadline. If the deadline passes, that night order will be forfeited. If the player knows they will be gone for the entire 48 hours of night, I will accept a contingent order (for example, if player X is not lynched, scan him... if X is lynched, scan Player Y).
stessier wrote:Scenario: Dread Pirate Roberts finds his Pirate. Dread Pirate Roberts dies. Pirate becomes new Dread Pirate Roberts.

Does Wesleys scan still work on the new Roberts? Does his protection? Does the new Roberts get to continue scanning for the 2nd Pirate?

Yes, yes, and maybe. For all intents and purposes, the new Dread Pirate Roberts is the Dread Pirate Roberts, so Westley's scan would now reveal him and Westley's protection would thwart his kill attempt.

As for continuing scanning, he (the new Roberts) must choose between issuing a scan order or a kill order. He cannot do both on the same night.

stessier wrote:The write up for Vizzini could drop the part about not mentioning why there was no extra death. We won't know that there was supposed to be an extra death, so we won't be concerned when one didn't occur. Only Evil Team will know a) that it is because the target was Wesley or b) that the powder was stolen.

I'm not quite sure I'm following you here. Are you saying that I should drop that part in my rules section (that it is basically implied), or are you saying that you would want me to handle the write up differently. For example, I intend to do one of the following:

A. Vizzini dies and successfully sprinkles the iocane, the write-up will reveal the player as evil (not specifically Vizzini) and will reveal the killed player (thus confirming evil as Vizzini).
B. Vizzini dies with no iocane or targets Westley, the write-up will reveal the player as evil (not specifically Vizzini), with no mention of a kill attempt.

Do you think that should be handled differently?
stessier wrote:I think if Roberts is killed before activating the fleet, he should still reveal as Pirate. I think Good needs to know that information.

I'll think about that. I think a fundemental concept of the game is the mystery of whether or not the Pirates have been activated. I'm afraid that if Roberts gets killed on the first night or day, and is revealed as pirate, it will be obvious that the pirate fleet was never activated and that tension will be gone. I'm inclined to still reveal an unactivated Dread Pirate Roberts as villager to keep the mystery alive, but I will put some serious thought into it.
stessier wrote:What happens if Pirate #1 or Pirate #2 is converted? Are they still in the line of succession for the Dread Pirate title? What is their winning condition at that point?

I am planning to update the rules of conversion for the Pirates. Here's the way it will work. If Pirate #1 or Pirate #2 are activated and enlisted in Dread Pirate Roberts' fleet, they will be immune to the conversion. If Pirate #1 or Pirate #2 is converted before they connect with Roberts, they will be converted. Then, they will lose their scan for Roberts and Roberts will be told not-Pirate if he scans them after they have been converted.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Potential Rule Change:

I'm considering the following change, but I'd like to get some feedback before I decide.

I am thinking about removing Westley's scan.

The reason is that the Dread Pirates will have a hard enough road to victory without Roberts being found early. He's already in danger of an early lynch or an early night kill by Evil. A scan (before activation) seems to tilt the odds even further against him.

The other option would be to notify Westley that "there are black ships on the horizon" and let his scans begin only when the fleet is activated. Of course, Westley would then know that the pirates were active, but it would be risky for him to reveal that knowledge, since he would need to stay hidden to be an effective protector.

Leave Westley's scan as is?
Remove it completely?
Let him scan only after Pirates have activated?

Thoughts???

I'm leaning toward letting him scan only after the Pirates are active, but I'd love to hear any comments.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Roberts' is a long shot to win no matter what. Him dying is the least of his problems. What if both of his pirates die? Then it doesn't matter what he does, he loses. One possible pirate option is to drop enough hints to get scanned but not night killed so they at least get activated and have a chance.

I think there should be a scan for Pirates. I like the idea that Wesley is notified to start scanning when they activate.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

stessier wrote:I think there should be a scan for Pirates. I like the idea that Wesley is notified to start scanning when they activate.

Aye. I think that's the way to go. I'll update the rules to reflect that.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable approach. My only issue with it is that leaves Westley with literally no powers until the Dread Pirate activates (since his other power is to protect against pirate kills, which also don't happen until the fleet activates). So basically at the start of the game Westley is just a villager, and will always be just a villager if Roberts never activates. Thematically that seems weird, since he's the main character (though game wise that's fine).

Maybe give him a minor power until the fleet activates? Like, scans for Buttercup or something, and if he finds her he can protect her from one kill or conversion?
Black Lives Matter.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

El Guapo wrote:Maybe give him a minor power until the fleet activates? Like, scans for Buttercup or something, and if he finds her he can protect her from one kill or conversion?

I like that a lot.

I will make the adjustment to let him scan for Buttercup up until the fleet activates. I'll have to think through the reward, but the one time protection sounds pretty good.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

I'm about to head out for my long drive. I may not get back to the thread until late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'll roll for roles and start sending out PMs over the weekend. Should be Saturday, but I've been gone all week, so it could be Sunday before I get enough free time to set it in motion.

Keep the suggestions coming.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'd suggest that whatever role I get should be able to kill whomever I want as many times a day as I want.
Last edited by El Guapo on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Qantaga wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Maybe give him a minor power until the fleet activates? Like, scans for Buttercup or something, and if he finds her he can protect her from one kill or conversion?

I like that a lot.

I will make the adjustment to let him scan for Buttercup up until the fleet activates. I'll have to think through the reward, but the one time protection sounds pretty good.
how about if he finds her, each morning she is informed if he is alive or dead. (your true love lives!)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Qantaga wrote:I'm about to head out for my long drive. I may not get back to the thread until late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'll roll for roles and start sending out PMs over the weekend. Should be Saturday, but I've been gone all week, so it could be Sunday before I get enough free time to set it in motion.

have you been able to set up the super secret OO forums yet?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Chaosraven wrote:
Qantaga wrote:

I like that a lot.

how about if he finds her, each morning she is informed if he is alive or dead. (your true love lives!)
Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

(I need to read the rules, yet. But there simply must be a way to revive Westley)check
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

It wasn't true love. It was to blave, which we all know means to bluff.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Mrs Bubbles is not a witch, Mrs Bubbles is your wife, but after what you just said she's not sure she even wants to be that anymore.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Scoop20906

[WW] Princess Bride - Signups - Starting Soon

Post by Scoop20906 »

This is a test of my new iPhone app.

Kill Unagi 

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop20906 wrote:This is a test of my new iPhone app.

Kill Unagi 

Test. Bummer. This app does not show the   underlines. Well, it does seem a Friggin lot faster than safari however so maybe I will have more success keeping up with the game at work. 

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:This is a test of my new iPhone app.

Kill Unagi 

Test. Bummer. This app does not show the   underlines. Well, it does seem a Friggin lot faster than safari however so maybe I will have more success keeping up with the game at work. 

Dammit. And there is no preview on this app either. Perfect.

I need to spoof FIVE seer roles? Guess I need to read the rulez. 

Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Let me fix that for you  Scoop 

. That way you don't have to worry about it!
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Mr Bubbles wrote:Let me fix that for you  Scoop 

. That way you don't have to worry about it!
oh no. No way. You run *him* up the flagpole, and *I* get zapped by a spastic trashcan. Not again.
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I still see VOTING IS CLOSED in my nightmares...
"Where are you off to?"

bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Chaosraven wrote:
bb2112 wrote:Voting is closed

We have gone into night.

Will update soon. :D
:shock:

WTF????

BEST!

POST!

EVER! :lol:
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Since the Dread Pirate Faction is a bit underpowered, the Pirates probably won't want to get converted, so they won't want to scan for Dread Pirate Roberts nor drop hints to their identity for him to find them. I'd suggest either forcing the Pirates to scan each night ("must scan" instead of "may scan"), or boost the DPR faction, or maybe allow the Pirates to win as either villagers or Pirates once converted.

Edit - ya gorebellied beef-witted foot-licker!
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

"Soon". He keeps using that word. I do not think it means what he think it means.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
theohall

Post by theohall »

Qantaga wrote:I'm about to head out for my long drive. I may not get back to the thread until late tonight or tomorrow morning.

So is today or Sunday not "soon." Not even reading the thread again... :roll:
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Got some bit chomping going on. I like it. :twisted:

Remus 

Just practicing...
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Remus West wrote:"Soon". He keeps using that word. I do not think it means what he think it means.

Clarified in thread title. :)

Roles might be out tonight, but I've got a family birthday, so tomorrow is more likely.
Last edited by Qantaga on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.