[WW] The Princess Bride - Game Over

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Mr Bubbles

Re: [WW] The Princess Bride - Day 9

Post by Mr Bubbles »

El Guapo wrote:Ohhh, and Buttercup honey. You see, the mod told me you were dead.... and I met this girl, and it's actually kind of serious...
You are dead to me!
Fun game and it was down to the wire. It seemed like a game where the good guys really had to do a lot right to win. With pr0ners blocks and the targets acquired we just pulled it off, but was definitely a good game. I'd play it again.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
El Guapo

Re: [WW] The Princess Bride - Game Over

Post by El Guapo »

Lagom Lite wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
bb2112 wrote:El Guapo is turning into a very impressive WW player.
If a bit slow...
:lol:
It's called building dramatic tension!
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah..When everyone else reveled and it was only myself and Coop who were the only non-specials left I thought for sure I was dead.

But luckily everyone else saw a few slip-ups by coop, and I hope myself staying on coop helped to sway opinions a little..

But I have to get more talkative, this almost getting lynched, and getting lynched in the end game almost every game blows..And I have not been on team evil for like 2 games... :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote:Amusing that our two conversion targets were pirate #2 and then pirate #3 after DPR was already dead.

Having basically all specials in the end game totally screwed us (along with pr0ner blocking us TWICE!), everyone but RMC was provable and then I made the 1 miss left slip and my fate was sealed.

I blame Lagom for the loss.
FWIW I didn't place much weight on the "1 miss" slip. It was interesting, to be sure, but it's also possible that you were a villager just assuming that evil hadn't missed their chance to convert. Plus it's contrary to my documented skepticism of slips, since generally I don't think that they have a ton of probative value.

What's interesting is that the first time I went back through your posts (on the rshetts2 lynch day) I saw that you were making reasonable, analytical posts, and moved you down a little bit on suspect list. But then went I went back and looked at your posts again on RMC's day, especially in comparison to RMC, I noticed that you weren't really doing much in your posts to really find the evil players, mostly just posting stuff like "here's how everyone voted, how about that?" Compared to RMC, who was actually pushing on particular people, including on people later found to be evil. That's what led me to vote for you.
Black Lives Matter.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

El Guapo wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Amusing that our two conversion targets were pirate #2 and then pirate #3 after DPR was already dead.

Having basically all specials in the end game totally screwed us (along with pr0ner blocking us TWICE!), everyone but RMC was provable and then I made the 1 miss left slip and my fate was sealed.

I blame Lagom for the loss.
FWIW I didn't place much weight on the "1 miss" slip. It was interesting, to be sure, but it's also possible that you were a villager just assuming that evil hadn't missed their chance to convert. Plus it's contrary to my documented skepticism of slips, since generally I don't think that they have a ton of probative value.

What's interesting is that the first time I went back through your posts (on the rshetts2 lynch day) I saw that you were making reasonable, analytical posts, and moved you down a little bit on suspect list. But then went I went back and looked at your posts again on RMC's day, especially in comparison to RMC, I noticed that you weren't really doing much in your posts to really find the evil players, mostly just posting stuff like "here's how everyone voted, how about that?" Compared to RMC, who was actually pushing on particular people, including on people later found to be evil. That's what led me to vote for you.
I also didn't put much weight on the slip. I wasn't even sure it was one (but when you turned up evil, it did point the finger to Lassr given his forced reaction to it). I was more on to you because of how you played the game earlier in the thread - and you did an admirable job, since I only had you as my number 3 suspect.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

By the way, was it *really* necessary to have us burn Lassr with "holocaust cloaks" on the day that Rosh Hoshanah starts? :wink:
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hooray, it's over!

um, first best chance to get Lagom was the night we really needed to kill Chaos, so we took Chaos.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Unagi wrote:Hooray, it's over!

um, first best chance to get Lagom was the night we really needed to kill Chaos, so we took Chaos.
Why did you feel you needed to kill Chaos?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The balance of the game was interesting. There were a good number of misses available (at least without the pirates activating), but on the other hand for most of the game there was very little solid information to go on, which was frustrating. But then in the later part of the game everything fell into place. Our big breaks were the pirates not activating (nice to nail DPR on day 1) and getting many specials to survive until late in the game.

Thanks for modding this Qantaga!
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Remus West wrote:
Unagi wrote:Hooray, it's over!

Why did you feel you needed to kill Chaos?
:ninja: You mean that question not in the sarcastic funny way, right? :D
Because we felt he was about to be cleared, and didn't want a lot of people cleared - even with the fog-of-conversion. Additionally, he would have also brought back a player, we wanted players dead.
He clearly had something that could get him out of trouble, and also wanted to be kept alive for one more night. We actually should/could have converted him, but he made himself the next day's focus - so that option didn't feel so good.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

You know, one thing that didn't but should have occurred to me during the Max rez discussion - he really wouldn't have been all that useful to Team Evil, would he? Yeah, he could rez an evil player...but we know when killed players are evil. So if Max rezzed someone who was evil, not only would that evil player get immediately re-lynched, but in the process Max would be clearly outing himself as the convert. All Max could do would be to sit on the rezzing power...but then Team Evil could achieve that just by killing him, and having the rez for someone else.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Well, I would have known why I would kill him. I figured you were better than that. Guess not. :ninja: :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote:You know, one thing that didn't but should have occurred to me during the Max rez discussion - he really wouldn't have been all that useful to Team Evil, would he? Yeah, he could rez an evil player...but we know when killed players are evil. So if Max rezzed someone who was evil, not only would that evil player get immediately re-lynched, but in the process Max would be clearly outing himself as the convert. All Max could do would be to sit on the rezzing power...but then Team Evil could achieve that just by killing him, and having the rez for someone else.
Miracle Max - Once in the game, Max may issue an order to resurrect a recently killed player. He will only be able to rez a player killed in the previous game day or night cycle. He may send the order at any time, day or night (beginning with the dawn of Day 2). He must first make his way out of the clutches of his wife and find his way to the castle to be able to use his rez power. His rez will not reveal him
We could have snuck Max into our ranks, and then used him to Rez our first killed - everyone would then know that Max was converted and alive, but they wouldn't know which player was Max.

The day following a rezzed Evil would lead to repeat lynch, as you said. So in effect, it would just stall Good's further hunt for evil 1 day... Problem in this case was that Chaos was perhaps going to be lynched the next day, and if he was Converted - we wouldn't want his shelf life to hinge on his ability to resurect the recently slain Booer.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Qantaga wrote:spoiler forum access in 3 hours or so.
Is Qantaga and El Guapo one and the same? :shock:
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Qantaga wrote:spoiler forum access in 3 hours or so.
Is Qantaga and El Guapo one and the same? :shock:

Ack. Sorry about that. Last night turned into a longer than expected travel night. By the time I finally reached my destination, I was toast.

I'll have it by 6:00 pm (Eastern).
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Everyone should now have access to the Spoiler forums at ooww.freeforums.org

I do have quite a few game comments (events, balance, tweaks, etc.), but they'll have to come either late tonight or early Saturday (long trip this week).

It was a lot of fun watching the game unfold from behind the scenes.

Thank you to everyone for playing. It was a joy to mod.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Seriously, a great job moderating (a complicated one at that, and your first). And the balance in the game was interesting (in a good way), seemed designed to sway. It's good enough to play again as is (and I bet it would play out Masssively different), but with some tweaks and such - I bet it will be even better.

When the game started, we certainly felt this was hugely weighed against us. One advantage to the huge job ahead of us was simply that we could likely hide for a while... That while wasn't quite as productive as we needed it to be, in regards to specials being removed. The conversion (being a blind event that was butressed by second chances and death-bed choices) was mighty powerful, but ultimately worked like many conversion; I fear that was just my poor implimentation of it. (to my defense, my god you all seemed so worthy of being lynched - how does one choose :D ) I've said it many times - I really don't think I like games with conversions as much as games without em... just personal preference I guess. I do still have fun with em, they just seem to break the concentration of the 'main hunt', I suppose.

I'd maybe give pr0ner MVP for his protections, I think without them, this wouldn't have been a Good guy win.
Lagom did pretty well too, and I hope you do gather from the evil-forums, etc - We didn't at all do this to try and 'pin it on you' and all that, so much as it constantly was something that we sorta just needed to have happen.... I'd have loved to have been rid of you.

So many forks in the road in this game.
I nearly killed Mr Bubbles the first night.
stessier wanted me to kill Mr Bubbles the night we wiffed on killing Lagom.
(still, Lagom would have found me that night/next morning, but stessier would have lived with his vial intact)
Chaos would have lived and rezzed a player (perhaps Lagom :roll: :grund: ) if we didn't see his 'look at me' for what it was.
tru1cy, that was just handed to us.
We really did have a hard win to earn in this game, IMO - if you consider how many things actually went our way somewhat randomly.

And, let that be a lesson to you Lassr, you nail me in a game with a conversion - you are going down With Me !! :twisted: :D :? sorry
PLW

Post by PLW »

I've been following real-time even though I got lynched early. It was a good game and exciting at the end. Thanks Qantaga.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

and we killed PLW because I thought his 'fetch me a rope' was perhaps a buttercup hint (looking for westley). Ends up that was bait, so that he could help the village and perhaps be our night kill. :grund: :doh:
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

It wasnt so easy for good either you know. If just one thing had changed, we were toast. The toughest part was that there was no way to verify anything for the first 4 days. Even the info on the dead was questionable due to the pirates existence. What was amazing was how the luck swung. On what could have been our grimmest night, where we thought we would be lucky to escape with 2 deaths and 3 was likely, we only faced 1. If the pirates had at any time connected though, we wouldnt have made end game. It was a lot of fun. I especially had fun tweaking Proner. I thought he was playing us until Remus pushed the clue out in the open. At that point I figured I may as well continue the path I had started because I knew Proner wasnt going to be lynched but thought if I kept a little pressure on it may distract evil a bit. Confusion swings both ways. When I was eventually taken out, I threw out the most ridiculous scenario I could think up, kind of as a joke. I figured you guys would see that, laugh a bit and figure out I was playing.
Anyways, nice job, Qan. It was a very interesting and well moderated game. Kudo to Proner for his protections and to LL for surviving, though it still baffles me how evil let you live. Bonus points to PLW for his little hint, it helped keep a special alive, which in the end was key. Also thank you Lady Luck! Tru1cy reveal prematurely and set himself up for death. At first blush, this seemed like a fatal error but in the end, because he was the only kill that night, it actually helped clear a special from being a convert due to protection and gave us a much better chance in the end.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

rshetts2 wrote:What was amazing was how the luck swung. On what could have been our grimmest night, where we thought we would be lucky to escape with 2 deaths and 3 was likely, we only faced 1.
Hence, pr0ner MVP.