[WW] The Princess Bride - Game Over

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: [WW] The Princess Bride - Day 1

Post by Remus West »

Why does everyone keep focusing on the "seer" aspect of Scoop's claim. I find it much more interesting that he claimed 1/2 our protector role. More damaging to lose that then anyone playing 1/nth of a Seer. Yet nobody wants to mention that. Is it only because the Pirates are not active yet?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

[WW] The Princess Bride - Day 1

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi, I've got to play my style. I'm not the analytical type or the catalog everything type or even the lists type. I'm the WTF is he doing type. I'm at my most dangerous when I have either something to lose or nothing to lose.

If you can't easily categorize me then I'm having the effect I want. Good may be confused but so would evil. I could be a special hiding in plain site. I could be an evil player expecting a pass from the good players for playing the wrong way. I could be a pirate signaling my leader too.

So what is my plan? To get you and your buddies in your forum thinking I'm going to lynched. And I expect I won't be lynched. It ensures my survival to perform my function.

Also, Unagi I see exactly what you are saying about BB. If you go there with your vote I will follow.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

theohall wrote:
Unagi wrote:I've got an entirely unrelated question. Did anyone else read this the way that I did? (it's in bb2112's reply)
bb2112 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
bb2112 wrote:It is still night?! Can't those evil lunkheads figure out who to kill yet?
IT'S REMUS!! KILL REMUS!!
Now let's get this going! :D
To be fair, the night 0 kill is a tough choice. I mean, do they kill "good guy whose role they don't know" or "good guy whose role they don't know", or possibly kill "good guy whose role they don''t know." It's not an easy choice.
El Guapo, that is what I'm saying. Remus is available to kill, so it is not a hard choice. Talk to the rest of your team of bad guys and get this done please. Thanksomuch.
See it?
Looks to me like bb2112 crackin' jokes at Remus expense (trying to get one of the crew offed, because they enjoy seeing one of them die first for some reason) and a wise-ass response from El Guapo - not a "poking the innocent" moment.
The exchange itself is all crackin' jokes - clearly.

It's when bb2112 remarks that: "Remus is available to kill, so it is not a hard choice." that my eyes lit up.

How would bb2112 know if Remus was "available to kill"?
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

theohall wrote: Looks to me like bb2112 crackin' jokes at Remus expense (trying to get one of the crew offed, because they enjoy seeing one of them die first for some reason) and a wise-ass response from El Guapo - not a "poking the innocent" moment.
Yes, I was hoping they would kill Remus at night. Why? Only because it would be funny. It didn't happen. Meh, now that the game is really started, time to move on.

I was poking fun at El Guapo calling him evil and asking him to get his evil brothers together, but really nothing interesting came of it that I can see.

I'm more trying to decide if Scoop is pulling a Grund in the BSG game and taunting everyone while being evil... or just playing around. Either way, I'm not sure any good can come from the play. I agree with a few others though, I don't think he is the real Westley. Coming out as Westley would be crazy at this stage of the game.

Scoop 

That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:I'm at my most dangerous when I have either something to lose or nothing to lose.
So.... you're always at your most dangerous?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:Why does everyone keep focusing on the "seer" aspect of Scoop's claim. I find it much more interesting that he claimed 1/2 our protector role. More damaging to lose that then anyone playing 1/nth of a Seer. Yet nobody wants to mention that. Is it only because the Pirates are not active yet?
Yeah, I think that's why. He's a seer now and for the whole game (for Buttercup before activation, for DPR afterwards), which is why I think that's being focused on now. I do agree that losing a protector would be worse than losing the ability to find Buttercup.

Though Buttercup is hotter, so maybe losing the ability to find her would be worse.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi wrote:It's when bb2112 remarks that: "Remus is available to kill, so it is not a hard choice." that my eyes lit up.

I think this is a nice catch.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

El Guapo wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:I'm at my most dangerous when I have either something to lose or nothing to lose.
So.... you're always at your most dangerous?
Ding Ding Ding. :)

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

[/accuse]PLW[/accuse] Hi New Guy :D
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

tru1cy wrote: PLW 

Hi New Guy :D

ftfy
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Remus West wrote:Why does everyone keep focusing on the "seer" aspect of Scoop's claim. I find it much more interesting that he claimed 1/2 our protector role. More damaging to lose that then anyone playing 1/nth of a Seer. Yet nobody wants to mention that. Is it only because the Pirates are not active yet?
I got a question for you to consider. Why is no one out right gunning for my lynch right now?

Does evil not think they can get me killed today?

Also, BB, I am no Grund. You can't compare our playstyles.

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Voting:

1. bb2112 --------------> Scoop
2. PLW -----------------> Scoop
3. Lassr ----------------> Isgrimnur
4. theohall -------------> Remus West, triggercut
5. stessier ------------->
6. Mr. Bubbles --------> triggercut
7. Chaosraven -------->
8. pr0ner -------------->
10. coopasonic -------->
11. Remus West ------> triggercut
12. triggercut --------->
13. tru1cy -------------> Remus West, PLW
14. El Guapo ----------> Scoop
15. Scoop --------------> triggercut
16. Unagi -------------->
17. Lagom Lite -------> Lassr, Mr Bubbles
18. Isgrimnur --------->
19. rshetts2 -----------> Scoop
20. RMC --------------->

triggercut (4): Scoop, theohall, Remus, Mr Bubbles
Scoop (4): PLW, El Guapo, rshetts2, bb2112
Remus West (0): tru1cy, theohall
Lassr (0): Lagom
Isgrimnur (1): Lassr
Mr Bubbles (1): Lagom
PLW (1): tru1cy

*Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Players remaining: 19
Majority is 10

Deadline is Tuesday, August 16 at 9:00 pm EST.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Unagi wrote:It's when bb2112 remarks that: "Remus is available to kill, so it is not a hard choice." that my eyes lit up.

I think this is a nice catch.
bah, how would I know Remus was available to kill? Stupid question. I looked at the list of 20 people signed up for the game, his name was there, therefore he is available to kill. Ha, as a matter of fact, if Remus were evil, it would be even better if they killed him (at least from my perspective).

As I said, it didn't happen, now on to (hopefully) bigger fish.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Scoop20906 wrote:
I got a question for you to consider. Why is no one out right gunning for my lynch right now?

Nope, it is not your playstyle I'm comparing. It is your sense of humor. You would find it hilarious to tweak everyone while being evil. Dancing around in plain sight while everyone's wheels are spinning. I'm just trying to figure out if you would get just as big a kick out of it if you are good. And also, if you are good, and potentially a self admitted Westley, why would team evil let you live.

These are the thoughts spinning around in my empty head.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

bb2112 wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:

Nope, it is not your playstyle I'm comparing. It is your sense of humor. You would find it hilarious to tweak everyone while being evil. Dancing around in plain sight while everyone's wheels are spinning. I'm just trying to figure out if you would get just as big a kick out of it if you are good. And also, if you are good, and potentially a self admitted Westley, why would team evil let you live.

These are the thoughts spinning around in my empty head.
I was evil last game. Am I acting the same way this time?

I was neutral and then evil last game. Am I acting the same way I did then?

And speaking of difference in playstyles, trig lack of posting certainly shows a different playstyle.

withdrawal triggercut 

bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Scoop20906 wrote:I was evil last game. Am I acting the same way this time?

And speaking of difference in playstyles, trig lack of posting certainly shows a different playstyle.

withdrawal triggercut 

Again, nothing to do with your playstyle. Everything to do with your sense of humor.

Yes, I agree Triggs lack of posts are disturbing. Makes me wonder if he is getting his posting needs met on a more evil forum. So why did you withdraw your vote and point that out at the same time?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

by Newcastle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:25 pm
Newcastle wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Well, I had few choices.
  • Post something innocuous and vague which would get me lynched.
  • Post some strategy or analysis which will be reconstructed by someone which will get me lynched.
  • Not post anything which will get me lynch.
  • Announce I am evil AGAIN which will get me lynched.
  • Post the role so I won't be lynched and since no one would believe I would be stupid enough to do that and therefore I will survive to Day Two!! HA HA. :mrgreen:
-hey guys, look what i found on the floor over here-

Hey Q

Me and the guys want to eat scoop's lunch for our night snack...ah to the heck with it...let's have him be our night snack.....

thanks
team 6 fingers of evil wolftitude but we dare not say arrrr
by Qantaga » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:32 pm
Qantaga wrote:You slowly open your eyes.

Then, you close them again as the brightness of the dawn pierces into your brain.

It has been a long night. You hardly slept at all. You finally collapsed in exhaustion in a corner of the castle's courtyard, with nothing more than a stone for a pillow.

As you stretch and try to force your mind back into gear, the events of the previous night coming crashing back to you. So, it wasn't a dream, after all.

Suddenly, you hear a scream from high above. You race up the stairs and hurry along the castle wall to where a group of startled people have gathered.

You look down on a body lying motionless on the ground. You glance around at the onlookers. You still cannot make out their features. However, you have no trouble at all recognizing the features of the body on the ground. You know his face, even though it is presently a deep shade of blue.

Newcastle is dead.

You bend down to look closer at something strange swirling around Newcastle's neck. At first, it appears to be several nonsensical rune-like symbols. You are just about to turn away, when the runes suddenly form into a word that jumps into your mind. You're not sure what it means, but that word is Villager.
Newcastle's last post. Two hours elapsed from Newcastle's post to Qantaga's write up. I have a feeling that they got their kill order in before reading this post however. Lets dig back a bit further.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

bb2112 wrote:

withdrawal triggercut 

Again, nothing to do with your playstyle. Everything to do with your sense of humor.

Yes, I agree Triggs lack of posts are disturbing. Makes me wonder if he is getting his posting needs met on a more evil forum. So why did you withdraw your vote and point that out at the same time?
From memory I think when Trig has no role he is much quieter. All Evil players have roles. Just on gut feeling Trig is either villager or pirate.

Last game Trig had a good role and he was all over the place and obviously enjoyed himself. I was once evil with Trig in a game (First BSG, I think) and I seem to remember that Trig was very realistic about what things he needed to be aggressive about and what things he didn't need to. Trig had the ability to prove himself last game thus he was extremely aggressive. This game he has been mum so far. I think he doesn't have anything to work with and therefore nothing to be aggressive about at this time. He is a villager or pirate laying low.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Damn, Newcastle only made one post after roles were distributed. Hmmm. Maybe they did just see his post as dropping a hint and then put the order in that 2 hour window.

Now, who do we know that likes to pick up on or lay his own subtle hints??

Unagi
Chaosraven
Stessier
Remus West

(Thats opinion only)

Yeah, not sure what else I can do with the line of investigation.

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Scoop20906 wrote:
bb2112 wrote:

withdrawal triggercut 

From memory I think when Trig has no role he is much quieter. All Evil players have roles. Just on gut feeling Trig is either villager or pirate.

Last game Trig had a good role and he was all over the place and obviously enjoyed himself. I was once evil with Trig in a game (First BSG, I think) and I seem to remember that Trig was very realistic about what things he needed to be aggressive about and what things he didn't need to. Trig had the ability to prove himself last game thus he was extremely aggressive. This game he has been mum so far. I think he doesn't have anything to work with and therefore nothing to be aggressive about at this time. He is a villager or pirate laying low.
That's kind of incorrect. I tend to not let any role, or any lack of role--or even faction--decide my posting habits.

It almost worked last time, if I'd have been smart enough to hang you when you deserved it. Let's try again.

Scoop 

"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Scoop20906 wrote:

I can tell you is why I'm not gunning for you....the likelihood that you will be scanned if you have not already been. Since all of our pieces of "Seer" only detect one role, if they nailed you they would have no reason not to come forward. I can also tell you why Evil is not gunning for you (assuming that you are good). If you are telling the truth you protect them as much as you protect us. Only the Pirates would want you dead based of your claim and they could not have done anything about it last night - the rest of the nights remain to be seen. I figure if you are an Evil/Pirate role you will be outed by a Seer soon. If not, well then more power to you.

Personally I think the folks voting for you deserve a health dose of suspicion but I'm going to stick to the voting the silent until they are dead or speak up. Thus far we have triggercut and RMC off the top of my head. Need to check the player list just in case I'm forgetting someone.

and preview shows me that triggercut spoke up while I was typing this...but did so with a vote for Scoop. Interesting. Still,
 RMC 

needs to talk or die.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

triggercut wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:
bb2112 wrote:

withdrawal triggercut 

That's kind of incorrect. I tend to not let any role, or any lack of role--or even faction--decide my posting habits.

It almost worked last time, if I'd have been smart enough to hang you when you deserved it. Let's try again.

Scoop 

I stand by my statement and am encouraged to see it drew you out of lurk.

And whats your reason for your vote for me? Because you failed to stick it to me last game?

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Scoop20906 wrote:Damn, Newcastle only made one post after roles were distributed. Hmmm. Maybe they did just see his post as dropping a hint and then put the order in that 2 hour window.

Unagi
Chaosraven
Stessier
Remus West

(Thats opinion only)

Actually I tend to avoid hints to my role. Last game was the exception as I wanted to get scanned. You'll notice though if you go back and look at it that I ceased with the hints after Chaosraven was lynched as I did not want to join the Rebellion - or, more honestly, I did not want to join them and then have everyone go "look at all the Mara hints let's lynch him". :lol:
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Remus West wrote:Personally I think the folks voting for you deserve a health dose of suspicion <snip>
+1

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Remus West wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Damn, Newcastle only made one post after roles were distributed. Hmmm. Maybe they did just see his post as dropping a hint and then put the order in that 2 hour window.

Unagi
Chaosraven
Stessier
Remus West

(Thats opinion only)

Actually I tend to avoid hints to my role. Last game was the exception as I wanted to get scanned. You'll notice though if you go back and look at it that I ceased with the hints after Chaosraven was lynched as I did not want to join the Rebellion - or, more honestly, I did not want to join them and then have everyone go "look at all the Mara hints let's lynch him". :lol:
Yeah, this is a weak line of reasoning and I'm not giving it much weight. I'm trying to investigate things as best I can. Its oh so much more fun being unpowered good in these games. Everything is a puzzle.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Everyone okay with my avatar? 8-)

RMC

Post by RMC »

Lagom Lite wrote:RMC, where art thee?
I have been summoned by LL. I am here..Just reading, will post when I have finished my read through. I apologize, getting back from Gen Con on Sunday night, and sleeping all day Monday has put me behind at work. :)

I also got to meet Hepcat, and I think his manly mane of hair is still making me wish I was not bald anymore. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Alright..It just seems off for Scoop to come out in the night even at that. But the only one who really needs to worry about him is the dread pirates Roberts, right:

Westley has served as the Dread Pirate Roberts, but has now abandoned that life to be reunited with Buttercup. However, with everything he has learned from Ryan (the Dread Pirate Roberts who preceded Westley), he has detailed knowledge about the original Dread Pirate Roberts (Cummerbund). At the beginning of the game, Westley will scan for Buttercup. If he finds here, he will be told her identity and she will be notified each morning (from then on) whether he is alive or dead. If the Dread Pirate faction activates, Westley will be informed at the beginning of the night after the Dread Pirate Fleet sails (there will be one day in which the Pirates will be at sea without Westley's knowledge. Westley will also be able to protect one player each night from an attack by the Dread Pirate Roberts. He may self-protect. He may not protect the same player two nights in a row. His protection will not thwart the kill attempts by the Evil faction, led by Prince Humperdinck.

And for team evil to avoid him, means a few things. Either he is team evil, and they can't off him, or there are some good thinkers on that team, and want to see if we will just off scoop one day 1 for them. Also team evil might be trying to see if buttercup will tip her hand to see if Westley will scan for her. I am not sure on this..Wheels within wheels. :)

So I am going to stay away from him on day 1. If he is team evil, we can always off him later and it makes it easier for us.

I seem to have gotten Remus to throw a vote my way, and I tip my hat to you sir and say good day.

Remus West 

Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

BTW, a lot of my silence is me still trying to grok the rules. The possibility of 3 factions is kind of throwing me a bit, and the Star Wars game was my first in quite a while so I'm feeling a little rusty at this.

As I understand it

1. 6 Good guy roles, and they're all filled, right? This isn't a "maybe you have these roles, maybe not" game, as far as I can see. Is that correct?

2. 3 Badguy roles, all filled, right?

3. 2 "Dread" roles possible--Roberts and his potential convert, right?

4. Everyone else is a Villager.

Game is 15 goodguys to possibly 5 badguys, badguys split into two antagonistic teams. If the one badguy team doesn't convert, it could be a supermajority of 17 v. 3?

Newcastle killed on Night 0. Assuming the 2 dreads are as much of a threat to the Badguys as Villagers, we can assume that he was *probably* a villager, but may have been one of the Dread.

My head hurts now.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Getting to be about time to figure out a Post Count. Mickey Mouse roll call, get yer posts in before the count! :)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Three Pirates, trig. DPR, and 2 unlinked. All count as villager until ship sets sail.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
theohall

Post by theohall »

RMC not posting is an evil RMC. It's him being careful not to get caught. One post isn't a villager/good guy RMC.

RMC 

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Chaosraven wrote:Three Pirates, trig. DPR, and 2 unlinked. All count as villager until ship sets sail.
Ah, ok.

So the Badguys have an obvious strategy--they've no choice but to try to kill kill kill as many villagers as they can.

Game started out with 17 vs 3, with the goodguy faction of 17 in danger of 3 defections, but not to the original bloc of 3 badguys.

To me, that makes the Pirates kinda seem like gnats. If they remain villagers, do they not win with a villager win? If I'm a Pirate, I want to stay a villager and stay in that big voting bloc if "winning" trumps all.

If I'm a badguy, I'm feeling hard-pressed right now. You don't have enough linked badguys to drive a vote train at this stage, you're possibly outnumbered 16-3 at this point (with Newcastle's death), and the best case scenario--the pirate defections--might bring you closer to a winning ratio, but also gives you another team to compete with, also possibly with the same winning ratio.

Good luck with THAT fellas. :D

If the Star Wars game was unbalanced for the badguys, this one seems unbalanced towards us. I'm oddly ok with that...;)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yup. Otherwise Trig you are correct on all other counts - this is a fixed roster game, where all roles are in play.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

theohall wrote:RMC not posting is an evil RMC. It's him being careful not to get caught. One post isn't a villager/good guy RMC.

RMC 

It was two posts, one EXmate one and one that I was actually commenting on.

Actually a quiet RMC is one that is blocked from work, and has too much work too do. I am making an effort here. :)

I know it looks like last game, but not evil here at all..Move along..
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

El Guapo wrote:Yup. Otherwise Trig you are correct on all other counts - this is a fixed roster game, where all roles are in play.
Ok. Now to read the fine print on all the various roles and stuff.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

If the pirates remain unactivated then they win with a village win (except for DPR himself, I think, who only wins with a pirate win).

Also in some sense Team Evil is only outnumbered 15-4 right now, counting their evil conversion (unless they're unlucky and try to convert on Humperdinck's deathbed and accidentally hit Fezzik). Though that's not counting Max, so that's probably 16-4 in effect unless they kill max nights 0 or 1.
Black Lives Matter.
theohall

Post by theohall »

RMC wrote:
theohall wrote:RMC not posting is an evil RMC. It's him being careful not to get caught. One post isn't a villager/good guy RMC.

RMC 

It was two posts, one EXmate one and one that I was actually commenting on.

Actually a quiet RMC is one that is blocked from work, and has too much work too do. I am making an effort here. :)

I know it looks like last game, but not evil here at all..Move along..
It's not just last game. Even being blocked from work, you post more when you have no role.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Maybe I do... I'll work on that. :)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

El Guapo wrote:If the pirates remain unactivated then they win with a village win (except for DPR himself, I think, who only wins with a pirate win).

Also in some sense Team Evil is only outnumbered 15-4 right now, counting their evil conversion (unless they're unlucky and try to convert on Humperdinck's deathbed and accidentally hit Fezzik). Though that's not counting Max, so that's probably 16-4 in effect unless they kill max nights 0 or 1.
So DPR *has* to actively ping the Pirates or he loses? That seems like a good rule, as it prevents him from sloughing about and trying to search only folks he thinks are goodguys at night so as to avoid activating his faction.

Assuming then that DPR is his own faction at game start, then this is correct:

14 (+2) Goodguys
3 Badguys
1 Dread

Badguys fire blind--it is in their interest to keep DPR in the game at this point, but they have no active ping to try to find him.

Didn't realize for some reason until just rereading that there exists the possibility of TWO kills per night, one from each faction opposed to the goodguys. Huh. That evens the balance a bit!

This is a very interesting game....