[WW] The Princess Bride - Game Over

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

PLW

Re: [WW] The Princess Bride - Day 1

Post by PLW »

Seems like all we have to go on is a vague hint or two (none of which seem especially piratical to me), and a claim from scoop? Seems pretty much like a random draw to me at this point.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:
Unagi wrote:Page two, and you've lost me.
remus noted that newcastle could have been part of the Potential Bad Guys, where El Guapo notes that it was specific to H/R/V (team evil)
That was before Qanatga posted his "clarification". Now I'm just confused. :?

This game I claim the role of LordMortis.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ah. I took your response to mean Newcastle could have been one of the three Pirates, prior to a Fleet Sailing (a Villager resultl. You state you are merely befuddled?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My book knowledge on Pirates came earlier tonight when you wrote:
If DPR finds a pirate, he does not get an option to kill as well that night
I had to read the rules to make sure you didn't just accidentally reveal that you were a DPR that found a pirate.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This early discussion is very revealing... it reveals that this should be a fun game. I have *no* idea what's going on at this point. :oops: I'm hoping by morning trig will come along and explain everything for me so I don't have to figure it all out. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:Ah. I took your response to mean Newcastle could have been one of the three Pirates, prior to a Fleet Sailing (a Villager resultl. You state you are merely befuddled?
I thought we got nothing on the Pirates so figured Newcastle could be any Pirate or Villager as normally we get nothing on the night kill (since they they to be "good" guys that died in the night). Qantaga's post says we will learn "Villager/Evil/Pirate" so if the two bad guy sides start offing each other we will know it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

coopasonic wrote:This early discussion is very revealing... it reveals that this should be a fun game. I have *no* idea what's going on at this point. :oops: I'm hoping by morning trig will come along and explain everything for me so I don't have to figure it all out. :D
Why? You think the first 5 or so folks he points at this game will be the Seers?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:Ah. I took your response to mean Newcastle could have been one of the three Pirates, prior to a Fleet Sailing (a Villager resultl. You state you are merely befuddled?
I thought we got nothing on the Pirates so figured Newcastle could be any Pirate or Villager as normally we get nothing on the night kill (since they they to be "good" guys that died in the night). Qantaga's post says we will learn "Villager/Evil/Pirate" so if the two bad guy sides start offing each other we will know it.
I don't think that's what he's saying, though it's not super clear at this point. He's saying that the three possible reveals upon death are villager/evil/pirate. However, in the discussion in the pre-game thread, he said that if a pre-activation pirate is killed, he'll come back villager. Only after activation would he come back pirate. Not sure about DPR himself; I vaguely recall him coming back as villager if killed.

Just to be clear:

Qantaga, can you clear up what we learn if a pirate is killed and/or DPR himself is killed?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

PLW wrote:Seems like all we have to go on is a vague hint or two (none of which seem especially piratical to me), and a claim from scoop? Seems pretty much like a random draw to me at this point.
Yeah, day 1 is pretty much a crapshoot. The only question is whether Scoop is just screwing around or not. I'm assuming (hoping) that he's not actually Westley having revealed under pseudo-heat; the question is whether he's just playing, or whether he's actually making an attempt to draw out the real Westley (and so is evil).
Black Lives Matter.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

While it is certain a crap shoot I do find Newcastle to be an interesting choice. I'd definitely have more high priority targets.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

In the victory conditions you state: If the Pirate fleet is not activated, they will have to kill the Dread Pirate Roberts.
Later on you state: Unactivated Pirates are considered villagers for victory conditions. This includes the Dread Pirate Roberts if the other two Pirates are killed and/or converted before the fleet activates.

I am assuming that if the situation arises that DPR loses his conversion ability, he is for all intents and purposes considered a villager and thus is no longer a required village kill? Just want to be sure of how this plays out.

Ah day one, lets not kill a special good guy today, you know just for a change of pace.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Villagers, evils and Pirates...oh my.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

El Guapo wrote: in the discussion in the pre-game thread, he said that if a pre-activation pirate is killed, he'll come back villager. Only after activation would he come back pirate. Not sure about DPR himself; I vaguely recall him coming back as villager if killed.

You are correct that it was discussed in the pre-game thread. It's also in the rules in the second post on the first page of this thread. It was buried amongst the rest of their role descriptions, so I edited them to make it easier to find there.
El Guapo wrote:Qantaga, can you clear up what we learn if a pirate is killed and/or DPR himself is killed?

Upon any death, one of three alignments will be revealed, whether the death happens by day or night:

Villager: Good special, Villager of Florin, unactivated Dread Pirate Roberts, unactivated Pirate
Evil: Humperdinck, Rugen, Vizzini, Convert
Pirate: activated Dread Pirate Roberts, activated Pirate
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

OK, so we know Newcastle was:
Qantaga wrote: Villager: Good special, Villager of Florin, unactivated Dread Pirate Roberts, unactivated Pirate
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

rshetts2 wrote:In the victory conditions you state: If the Pirate fleet is not activated, they will have to kill the Dread Pirate Roberts.
Later on you state: Unactivated Pirates are considered villagers for victory conditions. This includes the Dread Pirate Roberts if the other two Pirates are killed and/or converted before the fleet activates.

I am assuming that if the situation arises that DPR loses his conversion ability, he is for all intents and purposes considered a villager and thus is no longer a required village kill? Just want to be sure of how this plays out.

Thank you for pointing this out. I have updated the winning conditions section to clarify it.

You are correct that once the Dread Pirate Roberts loses his ability to activate his fleet (by the death and/or conversion of the two unactivated Pirates), he becomes a Villager and does not have to be killed for a Good victory. Should he still have the possibility of activating his fleet, even after all of the Evil faction is dead, he will have to be killed (or his possibility of activating his fleet must be removed) for Good to win.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Voting:

1. bb2112 -------------->
2. PLW ----------------->
3. Lassr ---------------->
4. theohall ------------->
5. stessier ------------->
6. Mr. Bubbles -------->
7. Chaosraven -------->
8. pr0ner -------------->
10. coopasonic -------->
11. Remus West ------>
12. triggercut --------->
13. tru1cy ------------->
14. El Guapo ---------->
15. Scoop --------------> triggercut
16. Unagi -------------->
17. Lagom Lite ------->
18. Isgrimnur --------->
19. rshetts2 ----------->
20. RMC --------------->

triggercut (1): Scoop

Players remaining: 19
Majority is 10

Deadline is Tuesday, August 16 at 9:00 pm EST.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Its possible that the Pirate Fleet activated last night however Westley won't find out about it until tonight.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
PLW

Re: [WW] The Princess Bride - Game Open - Night 0

Post by PLW »

Scoop20906 wrote:Well, I had few choices.
  • Post something innocuous and vague which would get me lynched.
  • Post some strategy or analysis which will be reconstructed by someone which will get me lynched.
  • Not post anything which will get me lynch.
  • Announce I am evil AGAIN which will get me lynched.
  • Post the role so I won't be lynched and since no one would believe I would be stupid enough to do that and therefore I will survive to Day Two!! HA HA. :mrgreen:
I don't buy this "look at me I'm crazy" explanation. There is no reason for an actual Wesley to declare at this point (or even hint, really, since no one needs to find him), so I'm going with

Scoop 

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

PLW wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Well, I had few choices.
  • Post something innocuous and vague which would get me lynched.
  • Post some strategy or analysis which will be reconstructed by someone which will get me lynched.
  • Not post anything which will get me lynch.
  • Announce I am evil AGAIN which will get me lynched.
  • Post the role so I won't be lynched and since no one would believe I would be stupid enough to do that and therefore I will survive to Day Two!! HA HA. :mrgreen:
I don't buy this "look at me I'm crazy" explanation. There is no reason for an actual Wesley to declare at this point (or even hint, really, since no one needs to find him), so I'm going with

Scoop 

Hey, PLW, have we played in a WW game together before?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

:lol:
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Any reason for Miracle Max to not self-announce and rez Newcastle?
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Ah, right, nevermind. Miracle Max can't use his power until Day 2, apparently.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

In honour of playing pokemon this morning .....  Remus West 

I choose you!!!
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
theohall

Post by theohall »

Remus West wrote:
coopasonic wrote:This early discussion is very revealing... it reveals that this should be a fun game. I have *no* idea what's going on at this point. :oops: I'm hoping by morning trig will come along and explain everything for me so I don't have to figure it all out. :D
Why? You think the first 5 or so folks he points at this game will be the Seers?
Scoop is the one who outs Seers. For trying to blame that tactic on triggercut (and I have nothing better to go on)

Remus West 

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:Its possible that the Pirate Fleet activated last night however Westley won't find out about it until tonight.
You mean, "you" won't find out about it until tonight, right?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop 

This pseudo-seer silliness (which has a nice alliterative effect) is as good a reason as any on day 1.
Black Lives Matter.
theohall

Post by theohall »

I think it would be hilarious if Scoop really is Westley.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Scoop20906 wrote: Hey, PLW, have we played in a WW game together before?
I don't think so. I've only played one time, and it was over on the Popehat forums.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Good morning all. It is now day one. We know nothing except Newcastle is dead. He could have been either a villager, or an unactivated pirate (if I understand the rules correctly by reading the previous posts).

Thoughts so far...
Scoop is just as confusing as ever.
LL wants Miracle Max to use his power early with no real benefit on day one (we learned from the cylon game this may not be the best idea when we find a special we may want to bring back).
Remus called everyone a tool and then claims to be LM this game.

I guess what stands out is if Scoop were a good guy and claimed Westley, why would the evils let him live? Unless they thought they could get him lynched today.

So right now, my top 3 suspects would be:

Scoop
PLW
El Guapo

They don't seem to be working together, but which side is everyone on?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

theohall wrote:I think it would be hilarious if Scoop really is Westley.
It wouldn't be the first time it happened.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
Wouldn't it? I know Scoop's outed the seer a couple times, but has he been the seer himself?
Black Lives Matter.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

El Guapo wrote:
Mr Bubbles wrote:
Wouldn't it? I know Scoop's outed the seer a couple times, but has he been the seer himself?
Well I'm not saying Scoop specifically.
Bertrand Russell
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lagom Lite wrote:Ah, right, nevermind. Miracle Max can't use his power until Day 2, apparently.
It's also worth noting that, unlike in BSG, the "rez" ability doesn't get us a proven, on account of the threat of Humperdinck's conversion ability. For that matter, because of that there really aren't provens in this game, I think, at least unless and until we somehow confirm that the abiltiy has been used. And I'm not sure how we would do that, unless a proven were killed and came back evil.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scoop20906 wrote:I've given the rulez a glance and understand what Westley abilities are but I sure would enjoy it if everyone could talk about the best way for the villagers to win.
Kill team evil and the pirates? Preventing the pirates from activating is important as that eliminates two villagers and creates two pirates. Humperdink's conversion will eliminate one good or pirate and make them evil. I'm not sure which of those is more dangerous, probably Humperdink as he can steal a special.

Strategy to winning: Kill the non-good specials and the pirates if they activate. I've solved the game!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

since Scoop has a style of play that seems to be detrimental to the villagers, regardless of whether hes good or evil, I figure hes as good a vote target as there can be. You dont help the village by being aggressively confusing.

Scoop 

Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Mr Bubbles wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Mr Bubbles wrote:
Well I'm not saying Scoop specifically.
Gotcha. Has the seer ever come out on night 0 before?

I don't see how Scoop could possibly be Westley, because I don't see how it could make any sense to reveal not only on day 1, but night zero. So he has to be either evil or a crazy villager (slash crazy pirate). If he were a villager, though, I'd think that Team Evil would off him if they thought he might be Westley, especially with nothing else to go on during night 0.

Which is why my vote is on him. I could be persuaded to switch if a better target becomes available, but this is as good as any info we're likely to have on day 1.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote:I don't see how Scoop could possibly be Westley, because I don't see how it could make any sense to reveal not only on day 1, but night zero. So he has to be either evil or a crazy villager (slash crazy pirate). If he were a villager, though, I'd think that Team Evil would off him if they thought he might be Westley, especially with nothing else to go on during night 0.

Which is why my vote is on him. I could be persuaded to switch if a better target becomes available, but this is as good as any info we're likely to have on day 1.
Last game he claimed because he was threatened and it was a huge win for the bad guys as they got our seer. He *knows* that a key role revealed this early is bad news. When he made the claim I thought he was just messing around and have been waiting for the "just kidding."

I'm leaning toward voting scoop but after helping lynch my emperor last game I'm going to be a teensy bit more thoughtful with my votes. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I feel Scoop is more likely an unpowered villager trying to draw a hit for the team and failed. That is an awful lot of attention he has drawn upon himself to be team evil or the actual Wesley. Then again this is Scoop we are talking about.

Black Lives Matter
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Scoop was kidding, obviously. (Right? Right??)

Lassr 

Is there anyone in hell?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lagom Lite wrote:Scoop was kidding, obviously. (Right? Right??)

Lassr 

Not sure I follow this. Lassr says Scoop's an unpowered villager, so he must be evil? Or is this just day 1 whimsy?
Black Lives Matter.