[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Conclusion

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Lagom Lite

[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Journey 7

Post by Lagom Lite »

Journey 7 – The Black Gate of Mordor

The two vast iron doors of the Black Gate under its frowning arch were fast closed. Upon the battlement nothing could be seen. All was silent but watchful. They were come to the last end of their folly, and stood forlorn and chill in the grey light of early day before towers and walls which they could not assault with hope, not even if it had brought thither engines of great power, and the Enemy had no more force than would suffice for the manning of the gate and wall alone.

No choice was left them but to play their part to its end. Before them towards Mordor lay like a moat a great mire of reeking mud and foul-smelling pools.

”Come forth!” rshetts2 cried. ”Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth! Justice shall be done upon him. For wrongfully he has made war upon Gondor and wrested its lands.”

There came a long rolling of great drums like thunder in the mountains, and then a braying of horns that shook the very stones and stunned men’s ears. And thereupon the middle door of the Black Gate was thrown open with a great clang, and out of it came an embassy from the Dark Tower.

He it was that now rode out, and with him came only a small company of black-harnessed soldiery, and a single banner, black but bearing on it in red the Evil Eye. Now halting a few paces before the Captains of the West he looked them up and down and laughed.

”Is there anyone in this rout with authority to treat with me?” he asked. ”Or indeed with wit to understand me? Not thou at least!” he mocked, turning to the Company with scorn. ”Why, any brigand of the hills can show as good a following!”

Drums rolled and fires leaped up. The great doors of the Black Gate swung back wide. Out of it streamed a great host as swiftly as swirling waters when a sluice is lifted. From the host of Mordor there went up a jeering yell. Dust rose smothering the air, as from nearby there marched up an army of Easterlings that had waited for the signal in the shadows of Ered Lithui beyond the further Tower. Down from the hills on either side of the Morannon poured Orcs innumerable. The men of the West were trapped, and soon, all about they grey mounds where they stood, forces ten times and more than ten times their match would ring them in a sea of enemies.

Mr Bubbles was kept among them in chain and collar. The fighting set him free. Sauron had taken the proffered bait in jaws of steel, for meanwhile, a small number of little creatures had sneaked around, through a back-passage known to few…

Mr Bubbles was freed!

Players:

1. Grundbegriff
2. redrun
3. theohall of the Free People, Slain by Bureaucracy
4. Qantaga - a Servant of the Eye, Slain by the Fellowship
5. bb2112
6. rshetts2
7. Remus West - a Servant of the Eye, Slain by the Fellowship
8. RMC
9. tru1cy
10. triggercut
11. Mr Bubbles
12. coopasonic
13. pr0ner
14. Newcastle

Gollum, will you guide a player?
Gollum, will you steal from a player?

Boromir, will you scan a player?
Gandalf, will you scan a player?

Witch-King, will you scan a player?
Aragorn, will you protect a player?
Servants of the Eye, will you hunt a player?

But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
coopasonic

Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Journey 7

Post by coopasonic »

This is it. The beginning of the end. Keep your heads down little hobbitses.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Oh so it's like that!
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

crap he can talk again. evil you know what to do.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Oh no you don't. I've been violated by Shelob and who knows what else.. I'm not going back. Sam was giving me some interesting looks too when he woke me. Not sure what that was about.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
redrun

Post by redrun »

Is it secret? Is it safe? Who has the ring?

Beyond that, we've entered the time when all masks can be removed. There are one last set of night orders, after which the game is pretty much over.
Sufficient I am to the day.
Newcastle

yum

Post by Newcastle »

i'll be curious to see the outcome here; hopefully them hobbits can do a good set of ring tosses!

go go go hobbit
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
stessier

Post by stessier »

:pop:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grundbegriff

Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Chapter 3

Post by Grundbegriff »

Grundbegriff wrote:
coopasonic wrote:The hobbits coming forward would help with that conundrum and best to do it before anyone dies so there are fewer questions. We'll still have too many hobbits and since Gandalf is unlikely to make it two more journeys, not enough scans to clear that up.
coopasonic is definitely not Gollum, for Gollum would not have been first on the block to advocate this. coop is probably Eowyn, judging by the walk.
Er... as I was saying, we should definitely Scout coopasonic before it's too late. :ninja:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Trying to cover your bases before it's all over, Grund?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

coopasonic wrote:Trying to cover your bases before it's all over, Grund?
Just making fun of myself, in case your "hobbitses" was as hinty as it looked. ;)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am not gollum. Please do not throw the ring to me in the morning.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Referring to this. I do like my original reasoning, though. Were you Gollum, you'd have only yourself to blame for missing that opportunity.

Anyone else looking forward to this?
Enlarge Image
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Lagom Lite

[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Chapter 7

Post by Lagom Lite »

Chapter 7 – The Cracks of Doom

They were in a long cave or tunnel that bored into the Mountain’s smoking cone. But only a short way ahead its floor and the walls on either side were cloven by a great fissure, out of which the red glare came, now leaping up, now dying down into darkness; and all the while far below there was a rumour and a trouble as of great engines throbbing and labouring.

The light sprang up again, and there on the brink of the chasm, at the very Crack of Doom, stood the Ringbearer, Grundbegriff, black against the glare, tense, erect, but still as if he had been turned to stone.

”Master!” cried triggercut. rshetts2, tru1cy and bb2112 was right behind him.

Then Grundbegriff stirred and spoke with a clear voice, indeed with a voice clearer and more powerful than the company had ever heard him use, and it rose above the throb and turmoil of Mount Doom, ringing in the roof and walls.

”I have come,” he said. ”But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!” And suddenly, as he set it on his finger, he vanished from sight. tru1cy gasped, but he had no chance to cry out, for at that moment many things happened.

Something struck tru1cy violently in the back, his legs were knocked from under him and he was flung aside, striking his head against the stony floor, as a dark shape sprang over him. He lay still and for a moment all went black.

And far away, as Grundbegriff put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-Dur was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars Sauron’s mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overpowering force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desparate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazghul Witch-King Newcastle, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.

Players:

1. Grundbegriff
2. redrun
3. theohall of the Free People, Slain by Bureaucracy
4. Qantaga - a Servant of the Eye, Slain by the Fellowship
5. bb2112
6. rshetts2
7. Remus West - a Servant of the Eye, Slain by the Fellowship
8. RMC
9. tru1cy
10. triggercut
11. Mr Bubbles
12. coopasonic
13. pr0ner
14. Newcastle

To be concluded…
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
El Guapo

Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Conclusion

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Conclusion

tru1cy groped forward, and then he saw a strange and terrible thing. triggercut on the edge of the abyss was fighting like a mad thing with an unseen foe. To and fro he swayed, now so near the brink that almost he tumbled in, now dragging back, falling to the ground, rising, and falling again. And all the while he hissed but spoke no words.

Suddenly tru1cy saw triggercut’s long hands draw upwards to his mouth; his white fangs gleamed, and then snapped as they bit. Grundbegriff gave a cry, and there he was, fallen upon his knees at the chasm’s edge. But triggercut, dancing like a mad thing, held aloft the Ring, a finger still thrust within its circle. It shone now as if verily it was wrought of living fire.

”Precious, precious, precious!” triggercut cried. ”My Precious! O my Precious!” And with that, even as his eyes were lifted up to gloat on his prize, rshetts2 drew his sword and leaped upon him, cutting the Ring from his hand. triggercut stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek fell. Out of the depths came triggercut’s last wail Precious, and they were gone.

There was a roar and a great confusion of noise. Fires leaped up and licked the roof. The throbbing grew to a great tumult, and the Mountain shook. tru1cy ran to Grundbegriff and picked him up and carried him out to the door. And there upon the dark threshold of the Sammath Naur, high above the plains of Mordor, towers fell and mountains slid; walls crumbled and melted, crashing down; vast spires of smoke and spouting steams went billowing up, up, until they toppled like an overwhelming wave, and its wild crest curled and came foaming down upon the land. And then at last over the miles between there came a rumble, rising to a deafening crash and roar; the earth shook, the plain heaved and cracked, and Orodruin reeled. Fire belched from its riven summit.

The skies burst into thunder seared with lightning. Down like lashing whips fell a torrent of black rain. And into the heart of the storm, with a cry that pierced all other sounds, tearing the clouds asunder, Newcastle came, shooting like flaming bolts, as caught in the fiery ruin of hill and sky they crackled, withered, and went out.

”Well, this is the end, tru1cy,” said a voice by his side. And there was bb2112, and there was Grundbegriff, pale and worn, and yet himself again; and in his eyes there was peace now, neither strain of will, nor madness, nor any fear. His burden was taken away.

Spoiler:
The Fellowship wins!!!

Final Journey actions:
tru1cy passed the Ring to Grundbegriff (succeeds, Grundbegriff is a Hobbit).
rshetts2 protected Grundbegriff (against Newcastle)
Newcastle hunted Grundbegriff (fails, Grundbegriff is protected).
Is there anyone in hell?

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Wow!

Nice game Lagom. It was very entertaining and a lot of fun. Thanks for the great game universe and for a wonderful job of modding it for us.

While theohall deserves all the highest accolades for his role as Gandalf in exposing Remus and I, the true MVP of the game is rshetts2 in his starring role as Aragorn.

Not only did he save the day with his protection of Grund at the very end, he saved theohall on the night before theo's reveal. theo would have died before he could have revealed Remus and I, had rshetts2 not successfully protected him the night before.

Congrats to all those in the service of the Fellowship, but a huge tip of the cap to theohall and a big, shiny MVP trophy to rshetts2!

Edit: Spoiler tags removed, since his above spoilered game outcome can be inferred from Lagom's subsequent game comments.
Last edited by Qantaga on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Spoiler:
ROLES

Frodo - Mr Bubbles
Hobbit01 - Grundbegriff
Hobbit02 - tru1cy
Hobbit03 - bb2112

Aragorn - rshetts2
Gandalf - theohall
Boromir - pr0ner
Freep01 - RMC
Freep02 - coopasonic
Freep03 - redrun

Uruk-Hai - Remus West
Saruman - Qantaga
Witch-King - Newcastle

Gollum - triggercut

PLAYER LIST

1. Grundbegriff
2. redrun
3. theohall
4. Qantaga
5. bb2112
6. rhsetts2
7. Remus West
8. RMC
9. tru1cy
10. triggercut
11. Mr Bubbles
12. coopasonic
13. pr0ner
14. Newcastle

Journey 1 – Caradhras

Mr Bubbles is the Ringbearer.
Fellowship controls the Ring.
No players are captured.

Boromir scans theohall (fails).
Gandalf scans Remus West (Servant).
Witch-King scans Mr Bubbles (succeeds).
Aragorn protects rshetts2 (fails).
Servants hunt tru1cy (captures tru1cy).

pr0ner

As you walk the freezing mountain road, you consider your father's words. "Gondor is falling. The glory of the White City will come to ruin. All is lost, should you fail."

You take a look at theohall. Even though he did not claim the Ring at the Council of Elrond, you would not let him stand in your way. The Ring shall be yours to command.

theohall is not Frodo.

theohall

As you walk the freezing mountain path, you think back to the lonely road of Pend Eregion leading up to the Red Horn Pass. Who did you see there? Did you truly make your way unseen from Rivendell?

As you descend from Caradhras, a gust of foetid wind comes down from the western slopes, and you see a dark figure in the distance. A realisation comes to you - a spy from the Saruman-allied Remus tribe of the west has been stalking you!

Remus West is a Servant of the Eye!

Newcastle

As you ride your wyvern above the misty clouds of Red Horn Pass, you see a lonely figure below. You let out a screech and feel the presence of the Ring touching you. As you prepare to sweep down upon the pitiful tramp, you see others fighting through the snow-drifts towards your target.

You decide to bide your time. You ascend again, careful that the party does not detect you.

Mr Bubbles is the Ringbearer!

rshetts2

As you walk the freezing mountain path, you think of your kin - the Dunedain, who lost the glory of old. You are the last heir to the Isildur line, and much is at stake should you become lost. Shrugging off the cold, you descend the Red Horn Pass with your fellows.

You were not hunted.

Remus West

Stalking the Company through the snow-storm, you notice one of them wandering off. You clobber him unconscious withouth hesitation, bag him in your net and carry him off. It is a little one; maybe he is the one Saruman wants? Foolish creatures.

You have captured tru1cy!

tru1cy

As the storm beats down upon the fellowship without mercy, your step suddenly falls through the floor of fallen snow. The cries of your fellows are far off, and though you struggle you soon find yourself out of hearing distance altogether.

Hours pass, and as you almost collapse from fatigue and cold, a hand grabs you. Looking up, the face of your savior is not what you expected it to be.

"Boss! I have found the halfling!"

Nor is the voice.

You are captured!
You may not post nor vote in the main forum until you are freed.

Journey 2 – Balin’s Tomb

tru1cy is freed.

No players are captured.

Boromir scans Qantaga (fails).
Gandalf scans redrun (Free People).
Aragorn protects Grundbegriff (fails).
Servants hunt bb2112 (captures bb2112).

pr0ner

In the blackness, you see Qantaga taking point. Whether of folly, deceit or braveness, it is not the character of Frodo.

Qantaga is not Frodo

theohall

Determining the nature of redrun is not difficult. His actions through the Caradhras ordeal proved him valiant and stout, a fierce survivor and dogged yeoman of his kind.

redrun is one of the Free People.

Newcastle

Sending out your minions to greet the lonely Company in the dwarf-carved depths, you describe the features of the Ringbearer. The pack later returns, heavily decimated and carrying a little one, but you are enraged to find that it is the wrong halfling.

After torturing the responsible orc-chief thoroughly, he remembers at length a shiny bauble shimmering from the neck of another little one; and the description of him matches your own experience.

rshetts2

As you dive into the depths of Moria, you watch Grundbegriff's back. Fights ensue in the blackness, but Grundbegriff craftily stays safe on his own accord.

Grundbegriff was not hunted.

Remus West

Stalking the Company in the forsaken delving, you decide to let your pack ambush them in the sealed dwarf-tomb, from which there is no way out.

But you underestimate them. They fight their way out, guided by sword and fire, slaying many of your pack.

After the battle, an Orc-chief approaches you and grins.

"I caught one, Boss!!

You have captured bb2112!

bb2112

In the dark depths of Moria, the Company is savagely ambushed. Screaming and crying, you are hurriedly carried off by goblins to some dark master.

In captivity, all you hear is muffled voices in a guttural tongue you can't understand. You are fed moldy bread and stale water, but despite the rumours you've heard about the ruined races you are not made into a meal yourself.

You are captured!

bb2112 is freed.

No players are captured.

Boromir scans Mr Bubbles (succeeds).
Gandalf scans Qantaga (Servant).
Witch-King scans tru1cy (fails).
Aragorn protects theohall (succeeds vs Kill).
Servants hunt theohall (fails, theohall is protected vs Kill).

Saruman Imprisons Mr Bubbles.

Journey 3 replies

pr0ner

It is not fair. The Ring is rightly Gondor's, a shining sword to wield against the blackness of Mordor. But now it is lost; carried off by the Enemy.

Mr Bubbles is Frodo!
You have lost your ability to scan for Frodo.

theohall

Looking up at Qantaga as the rest of the Company peers into the Palantir, you see a curious smile upon his face. It is as you suspected - Qantaga is an Enemy!

Qantaga is a Servant of the Eye!

Newcastle

Having sent your mightiest minion to take Mr Bubbles safely to Orthanc, you look at another little one to make sure the Ring wasn't snuck away. But tru1cy gives no sign of being in possession of the weapon you master desires.

tru1cy is not the Ringbearer.

rshetts2

As you fight your way up from the mines, you make sure theohall is safe from harm. It is a good thing you did - a large, black arrow is fired from a distant darkness and would have struck him, had you not swung your sword to deflect it, just in time.

You protected theohall from being Killed!

Remus West

Firing black arrows at the member of the Company you know as theohall, a figure in the darkness pushes him aside and leaps into cover.

theohall was protected from being Killed!

Journey 4 – The Great River Anduin

Remus West is lynched.

Servants of the Eye control the Ring.
No players are captured.

Gandalf scans coopasonic (Freep).
Aragorn protects bb2112 (fails).
Servants hunt theohall (kills theohall).

Journey 4 replies

theohall

Your unwise tone when dealing with the gate-guards of Rohan has left you bleeding in the street. coopasonic tried to warn you, but to no avail.

coopasonic is one of the Free People.
You have been slain!
Your deeds will be remembered.

Newcastle

Mm, yes. The Ring is safely kept at Orthanc. But for how long?

rshetts2

As theohall is run through by the guards, you turn to bb2112. You find him out of sight, out of trouble.

bb2112 was not hunted.

Qantaga

Having given stern orders to Grima Wormtongue to have anyone who makes even the slightest jape about "walking sticks" killed, you sit back and watch the results through your Palantir.

theohall is Killed!

Journey 5 – Helm’s Deep

Qantaga is lynched.
Mr Bubbles is freed.
Mr Bubbles passes the Ring to bb2112.

bb2112 is the Ringbearer.
Servants of the Eye control the Ring.
bb2112 is captured.

Gandalf is slain (fails).
Witch-King scans tru1cy (fails).
Aragorn protects tru1cy (fails).
Servants hunt bb2112 (captures bb2112).

Chapter 5 replies

Mr Bubbles

In the chaos of battle, you find the hapless gaze of bb2112. Quickly flinging the Ring to him, he looks at you astonished, and then quickly pockets it.

You have been freed!
You may post and vote as normal.

You have passed the Ring to bb2112!
bb2112 has been notified of your identity.

bb2112

In the chaos of battle, you find the surly gaze of Mr Bubbles. As he is freed, he flings you a bauble. Looking upon it, you realize immediately what he has done, and pocket it quickly before anyone else sees.

Mr Bubbles has passed you the Ring!
You are now the Ringbearer.
You must pass the Ring before the end of Journey 6 or become Corrupted.

Journey 5 replies

bb2112

Though you tried your best to hide the Ring, a goblin took notice and chased you down. Knocking you out with a bludgeon, you are carried off into the wilds.

You have been captured!

rshetts2

Watching tru1cy closely during the battle, you are surprised at the resourcefulness of the little one. tru1cy stays out of trouble on his own accord.

tru1cy was not hunted.

Newcastle

Rallying the fleeing White Hand troops, you take to the air once again. You spot two small creatures involved in the fray. You order the capture of the one and swoop down upon the other, named tru1cy. Squirming free from your grip, you notice he at least does not carry the weapon. Orcs and goblins bring you bb2112.

You have captured bb2112!
tru1cy is not the Ringbearer.

Journey 6 – Isengard

bb2112 is freed.
bb2112 passes the Ring to tru1cy.

tru1cy is the Ringbearer.
Mr Bubbles is captured.

Gandalf is slain (fails).
Witch-King scans tru1cy (succeeds).
Aragorn protects rshetts2 (fails).
Servants hunt Mr Bubbles (captures Mr Bubbles).

Gollum steals from Mr Bubbles (fails)

Journey 6 replies

triggercut

You stalk the one you've seen carrying the Precious. Yes, my love. He stole it from us, didn't he? Yes, he did. And then he gave it to another thief. But they are crafty, oh yes they are, Precious, and you think you saw the other one give it back, though they tried to hide, yes, tried their best they did, gollum gollum.

You ransack Mr Bubbles packs in th dead of night. In despair you let out; "Where is it? Where has it gone?! Filthy thieves, where has it gone!?!" The leaves rustle behind you as you search frantically, and you are forced to flee as the big ones takes note of you. Cursing under your breath, you decide to keep stalking them from a safe distance.

Mr Bubbles was not the Ringbearer!
You have lost your ability to Steal.

rshetts2

You lead your men into battle against Mordor, undaunted by what come may. You are the Heir to Isildur, and rightful King to the throne of Gondor. As you approach the Black Gate, doubt gnaws at the back of your mind. One of your number is missing.

You were not hunted.

Newcastle

You send one unit to capture the Grundbegriff company, but a feeling is gnawing at you. You fly overhead the tru1cy regiment, and let out a screech to the Ring. You feel it instantly, among the troops of heroic Men there is a halfling, and he is its keeper.

tru1cy is the Ringbearer!
You have captured Mr Bubbles!

bb2112

Before setting out from the White City, you request a private conversation with tru1cy. "Take this," you say, "for I cannot hold it much longer."

tru1cy stares at the Ring as if taken by a fey mood. "I will take it," he says, "but what will I do with it?"

"You must destroy it! While the others distract the Eye, you must go into Mordor alone."

"But what if I get lost?"

The question is left unanswered as the Horn of Gondor is sounded outside, and you must both ready yourself for the final journey.

You passed the Ring to tru1cy!

tru1cy

Before setting out from the White City, bb2112 request a private conversation with you. "Take this," he says, "for I cannot hold it much longer."

You stare at the Ring. Something about it calls to you. "I will take it," you say, "but what will I do with it?"

"You must destroy it! While the others distract the Eye, you must go into Mordor alone."

"But what if I get lost?"

The question is left unanswered as the Horn of Gondor is sounded outside, and you must both ready yourself for the final journey.

bb2112 has passed you the Ring!
You are now the Ringbearer.
You must pass the Ring before the end of Journey 7 or become Corrupted.

Mr Bubbles

As you lead your men out of the White City and into Mordor, your unit is ambushed and scattered. A grim spectre looks down upon you. You hear its words: "Bubblesss... yessss..." before passing out.

You have been captured!
You may not post nor vote in the main thread until freed.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Well, this game was a failure.

The reason I say so is because of the inherent weakness of the Hunt Some Orc mechanic. It wasn't as visible last game but this time it was summoned by a perfect storm.

What happened was this: Servants hunted 2 Hobbits in a row, proving them and allowing the Fellowship to Hunt Some Orc instead of lynching (discussing). Then, Gandalf went and found two Servants, making the next few days a no-brainer as well. It sort of went on like that, which made the game dull and linear, and very frustrating for team Sauron. While moaning and gnashing of teeth is canonical for black and tormented Servants, it really wasn't this moderator's intent to inflict actual anguish. ;)

This is the fix to the Hunt mechanic I'd propose:
* Each Journey, Servants of the Eye may attempt to either Kill or Capture a target player. If a Hobbit player is targeted for Kill, the Hobbit will not be Killed. If a Free Person is targeted for Capture, the Free Person will not be Captured.

It's a simple fix, but should guarantee that the Servants won't feel frustrated for "choosing poorly", while forcing the Fellowship to lynch in the early game.

Also, the Gollum abilities flat out didn't work. Sorry about that, trig. ;)

I'd propose to replace the Gollum abilities with this:
* Each Journey, Gollum may attempt to Kill a target player. If the Hobbit player is targeted, the Hobbit will be Killed. If the Killed Hobbit is also the Ringbearer, Gollum will become the new Ringbearer. If a Free Person or Servant of the Eye is targeted, or Gollum was blocked by Aragorn's protection, Gollum will be killed instead.

...making gollum a high-risk high-reward player.

The third player I felt sorry for was Boromir (pr0ner!). I'd like some suggestions on how to change his role - he's basically a Sorcerer - how are Sorcerers normally designed to be fun to play?
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Oh, and I've enabled everyone to read and post in the Spoiler and Servant forums att http://ooww.freeforums.org.
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I don't think the fix you had in mind is enough. The way you put it the Servants are still crippled in that their actions have a good chance of failure without regards for Aragorn (who won this game for the good guys as in spite of everything going their way had he not made the two saves he did they would have lost). It won't be as bad as it was this game where our actions benefited the good guys much more than any other outcome possibly could have the first two nights but failed actions are still failed actions and thus you are gimping side Evil severely.

As for Boromir, all you need do to fix him scan for the Ring and steal it should he find it. Thus Evil gets the Ring AND he joins the Evil forum.

I do think you should also adjust the Ring passing such that Evil may never pass the Ring (what self respecting Evil would willingly give up that sort of power?) and if they are lynched while in possession of it then it gets sent to a random player (of non-free person ilk, either a Hobbit or Evil - or a Hobbit that then becomes Evil due to over exposure).
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

First off, I thought the game was awesome! No surprise there eh? Very nice job with the modding, especially on the fly and fantastic job with the write ups, LL
I understand that a perfect storm of scans really helped bork the game mechanics but even with the Fellowship getting things going there way and hitting some serious luck on the way, the servants had the game won if it were not for a lucky block at the end. I had to choose between 5 targets and hit the right one. Any other choice and we would have lost. My point is you will have to look at balance before you tilt this game much more.
For example if you set it so hobbits can be killed, then the fellowship could be toast after a couple of days. By day 7 they will likely be out of pass options or be so limited that the servants will be able to easily pick out the ring bearer. Alot of what happened here in this game was luck and thats going to happen with any rule set. Go overboard and cripple the Fellowship and you will make the game unplayable for good.

Im not saying any of the ideas are bad, there are definitely rolls that need revising. Im just pointing out that it wont take much at all to make it impossible for the fellowship.

Once again, nice job everyone, especially LL for keeping things rolling and under control and at the same time keeping the game interesting. At the end, in spite of the Fellowships luck every faction had a good shot at a win.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

For once, my role actually played into me being quiet - why is Boromir going to hunt some orc when his team has the ring? Plus, there was no easy way that I saw to get corrupted.
Hodor.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

rshetts, your choices as Aragorn in this game were seemingly supernatural. Outstanding!

Lagom, I wouldn't call the game a failure, as you did, but it clearly needs tweaking.

Let me think on it. And I hope all others will share their ideas. I'd especially like to hear what triggercut has to say, since he was the frogman.
theohall

Post by theohall »

rshetts2 is the MVP, clearly.

Scanning Remus West was the usual Day One random guess. Just got lucky.
Scanning Qantaga was based on the way he interacted and then didn't interact with Remus West.

The one thing I should have done different - let everyone blather some more before announcing the known bad guys, but that reveal was going to happen no matter what during that Chapter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

theohall wrote:rshetts2 is the MVP, clearly.

Scanning Remus West was the usual Day One random guess. Just got lucky.
Scanning Qantaga was based on the way he interacted and then didn't interact with Remus West.

The one thing I should have done different - let everyone blather some more before announcing the known bad guys, but that reveal was going to happen no matter what during that Chapter.
I wish you would have waited as I would have come out as Gandalf before you then and had been planning on naming you and redrun as Evil. My first claim may have gotten you lynched or - much more likely - forced Aragorn into backing your claim due to the protection that night which would have allowed Newcastle to take him out.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Remus West wrote:I don't think the fix you had in mind is enough (...) Servants are still crippled (...) failed actions are still failed actions (...) you are gimping side Evil severely (...) it is not fair, Master! *shhh-ka* We need broader shields, my Lord! *wheeze*
I disagree.

Even though team Evil were unlucky with captures, extremely unlucky with Gandalf and Aragorn, found and imprisoned Mr Bubbles only to have Saruman lynched, you came down with a 50/50 chance to win at the end. That's pretty OP on your side actually, and I'm considering removing the Imprison ability to compensate for the new rules change.

I feel team Evil simply didn't have their eye on the ball (the Ring) this game - and failed to make a convincing play. You could have, for example, Imprisoned Mr Bubbles on Day 1 which would have forced the fellowship to lynch. That said, I understand that you were unlucky and confused about the rule-set, and Newcastle made a good point about writing a small "how-to play" guide in addition to the rules.
Is there anyone in hell?

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Much like the Tron game I enjoyed mostly because of the atypical play mechanics. They were initially confusing and the game didn't play out optimally (unless you were the fellowship), but it was still nice to experience something different (and I think that win brings me back up to .500 despite having nothing to do with it).

I think Boromir and Gollum should have claimed hobbit. There was enough suspicion of Grund's claim that I think it would have had a shot. Gandalf clearly wasn't going to survive once he came out and he couldn't scan everyone. I think part of the reason it felt too easy is because we didn't have any extra hobbit claims.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

I agree with Coop 100%. The game mechanic was different and that made it interesting. Even thought the fellowship had just one logical choice every turn, it being the first time it was tough to know how to manage everything. I also agree, if/when we play this again, Boromir and Gollum will play differently adding in a new complexity level.

Evil was extremely unlucky. The only thing that would have made it even worse for them was if Theo actually scanned 3 evils instead of 2 evils and 1 villager. Otherwise it was a perfect storm of crap for evil. That being said, they still had an amazingly good chance to pull off a win at the end.

And I stand corrected Rhetts2 gets the MVP, just eeking out Theo. Both played amazing.

For my part, I was just glad that I was a proven and not actively trying to be killed by both sides for once. :wink:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

bb2112 

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Remus West wrote:I don't think the fix you had in mind is enough (...) Servants are still crippled (...) failed actions are still failed actions (...) you are gimping side Evil severely (...) it is not fair, Master! *shhh-ka* We need broader shields, my Lord! *wheeze*
I disagree.

Even though team Evil were unlucky with captures, extremely unlucky with Gandalf and Aragorn, found and imprisoned Mr Bubbles only to have Saruman lynched, you came down with a 50/50 chance to win at the end. That's pretty OP on your side actually, and I'm considering removing the Imprison ability to compensate for the new rules change.

I feel team Evil simply didn't have their eye on the ball (the Ring) this game - and failed to make a convincing play. You could have, for example, Imprisoned Mr Bubbles on Day 1 which would have forced the fellowship to lynch. That said, I understand that you were unlucky and confused about the rule-set, and Newcastle made a good point about writing a small "how-to play" guide in addition to the rules.
The Fellowship had exactly ZERO decisions to make the entire game. If a Hobbit was captured, free him. If a Hobbit wasn't captured scout an Evil although that last piece was due to the scans but the scans by theohall and save by rshetts2 are part of any game with a Seer and protector - I don't think you do anything or worry about them at all. The problem was that every action we took not only accomplished nothing for our side it removed any need for risk from the Fellowship and thus aided them. They gained every piece of information we gained and also gained a "free" pass for each day along with it. The adjustment you suggest simply means that Evil will be much more likely to simply fail at an action. They would gain the knowledge of Free Person or Hobbit depending on the action they attempted but they would still have a failed action. Their "attack" basically becomes another type of scan. As for a 50/50 chance of winning at the end I don't think you are doing your math correctly since all Hobbits were out Newcastle had to choose among all of three possible targets for receiving the ring.

I will say though that the write ups were spectacular. As they were last time as well.
stessier

Post by stessier »

But the Fellowship also played basically a perfect game. In that situation, you're supposed to get ROFL stomped.

If the scans were not Evil or just proved Hobbits...if Evil had found Free Persons....If the conversion had happened

Anyone of those would have completely changed things. You could also go through a game as perfect Evil and show that the Fellowship doesn't have a chance. Not sure that means the game is imbalanced.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
redrun

Post by redrun »

A fun game, and interesting to see a four-sided game (since Boromir was mostly on his own for most of the game).

A couple of notes:

Ring passing. From the evil side it's tough, since any scans they get are stale before they can act on them. From the good side it is a nightmare. First, finding hobbits to pass to - we got lucky this game. Second - once the hobbits were out, evil only needed to get their hands on the ring and it was game over - just start passing the ring amoung the free people. Even if the hobbits were not outed, evil still could have started the passing - every free person they hit joins the evil forum until they control the daytime voting block. Even if evil (Gollum or team evil) did get their hands on the ring and got scouted, odds were that the ring would go right back to evil (and perhaps corrupt a free person in the process). So, I'd suggest removing the ability of anyone but a hobbit from freely passing the ring, and never use random.org to determine who gets the ring - somehow, force only teammates (evil) or hobbits (good) as possible folks to pick up the ring.

Boromir - move his scan to daytime? It'd get a lot more powerful. It'd put Boromir in a hard place if he ever did find the ring - he'd almost need to sacrifice himself to be useful...

Captured or imprisioned ringbearer - made it a timing issue for Gollum's steal. He knows where the ring is, and he knows that he can grab if he is fast enough.

I worry about reading too much into this game since it ended up inbalanced via play - evil/Gandolf scans and captures controlled a lot of decisions. Not sure how it would play out with current rules if replayed, since I think we'd see a much different pattern.

Still, it's probably the best game out there. I survived. Not sure I've done that before. :)
Sufficient I am to the day.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:But the Fellowship also played basically a perfect game. In that situation, you're supposed to get ROFL stomped.

If the scans were not Evil or just proved Hobbits...if Evil had found Free Persons....If the conversion had happened

Anyone of those would have completely changed things. You could also go through a game as perfect Evil and show that the Fellowship doesn't have a chance. Not sure that means the game is imbalanced.
The scans themselves were just part of any game. Thats not what was unbalanced. What was unbalanced was that Evil's actions advanced the cause of the Fellowship much more than the cause of the Servants - even ignoring the scans and save. Evil was outnumbered and left guessing on what to do while the Good guys had the majority and knowledge of what they needed to do. Typical balance is that Evil is outnumbered but knows what they need to do and Good has the numbers but is working mostly blind.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Try not to capture Hobbits. It seems counterintuitive, but it is the best strategy for Evil.
theohall

Post by theohall »

When going over the rules - again and again - the one thing that stood out to me is Boromir. With the current rules, Boromir can scan for Frodo - and then what? He has no ability to do anything at all other than knowing which player is Frodo. Seeing as in the story, he actually attempted to sieze the Ring and almost succeeded, he should have the ability to seize the Ring once he finds Frodo. Not sure if it should be a simultaneous action or any time after discovery action. Simultaneous seems like the best option, due to the whole being Captured thing preventing actions.

I think the Fellowship just got incredibly lucky with the choices of scans and protections. This still came down to Newcastle having a 50/50 shot of winning at the end considering he knew tru1cy had the Ring after Journey 6. IMO, that is plenty balanced.

I am curious. Why didn't the Servants Imprison Mr Bubbles immediately? You guys found Frodo on Journey 1, yet waited to Imprison him when Saruman can Imprison at any time? This would have removed the Fellowship's obvious play of Hunting Some Orc. Had you imprisoned Mr Bubbles, we would know Mr Bubbles was Frodo, had the Ring, and had to be freed - with the only means of freeing him being the lynch. The only negative to this - if Frodo does get freed, Gollum knows who Frodo is and would get the opportunity to steal IF we found Saruman. A bigger benefit for team evil to this - the hobbits are forced to start playing pass the Ring to prevent Gollum from stealing it.

This is more balanced than it appears, IMO.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:Try not to capture Hobbits. It seems counterintuitive, but it is the best strategy for Evil.
We were trying not to capture Hobbits. There is no mechanic other than capturing them for Evil to know if they are Hobbits or not. That's why our actions helped the Fellowship more than us.
tru1cy

[WW] Fellowship of the Ring II - Conclusion

Post by tru1cy »

Simple fix - give Team Evil the option either capture or kill. Only kill wouldn't work on hobbits. This way free people can be captured too.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

theohall wrote:When going over the rules - again and again - the one thing that stood out to me is Boromir. With the current rules, Boromir can scan for Frodo - and then what? He has no ability to do anything at all other than knowing which player is Frodo. Seeing as in the story, he actually attempted to sieze the Ring and almost succeeded, he should have the ability to seize the Ring once he finds Frodo. Not sure if it should be a simultaneous action or any time after discovery action. Simultaneous seems like the best option, due to the whole being Captured thing preventing actions.
I agree with this.
Hodor.