[4OTP] Rule setting thread

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Sudy

Re: [4OTP] Rule setting thread

Post by Sudy »

We're on hiatus.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I thought we were locking the players out to some strength away from the union.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Some day we'll play OOTP again. Oh yes, we will.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Obligatory bump.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Crux

Post by Crux »

Ping? Whatever happened here?
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Apparently nothing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not nothing. I spent money on a game that I added to my insane backlog. I refuse to let you marginalize me!

:)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Well, let's get something going then. If the original commishes can't step up, or at the least post and let everyone know what is going on, then maybe we start afresh. Recover those who had already committed who actually want to do it and get going.

I can probably co-comish if the time commitment isn't prohibitive... Anyone else interested?
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm still in and would be willing to commit to co-commishing - that is, if someone can walk this online-OOTP newbie through the process.

I'm a solo OOTPer at heart. :oops:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm still in if we can get something going. Bought the new version too, and while I don't mind helping out Markus & Co., I'd like to use it a little.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Alright, I'll volunteer to take on the mantle of organizing this motley crew. I'm willing to be a backup commish, but I don't want to commit to being at my computer by a certain time once a week simply because I don't know if I am ever going to be home for certain after 5 or 6pm. I could be the third of two co-commishes or the fourth of three, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'll even stay on board through the creation of the league and the draft, if necessary.

This is what I have for definite rules per consensus:
Fictional Players
4x4 division structure
Twice weekly sims
Two weeks per sim
Neither scouts nor coaches

This needs to be ironed out, but has a general consensus:
Lists of some sort for the draft, but a lot of people were on board with a live draft for the first few rounds.

These are all completely up in the air:
How many levels of minors?
Do we have a Rule V draft?
Do we allow the trading of picks and recently drafted players?
Do we have waivers on or off?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, with that and a few other rules, here are our new things to be voted on: (As some rules that need more definition get voted on, I'll put together new polls to narrow down the results)
  • How many levels of minors? 3, 4 (has Short Season A), or 5 (Short and Rookie)?

Do we allow the trading of draft picks and players drafted during that season? (So if you draft a guy June 15th, 2012, you can't trade him until the offseason of 2012 begins.)

Do we have waivers turned on or off? If on, they would be set to end one day after the sim period so a 14 day sim means a 15 day waiver period to allow people to claim a guy. The player would be available to you in the sim after you claim him. (Claiming him June 14th means you get him and are able to make a roster move with him on July 1st.)

What era do we play in? Early Years (1871-1900), Deadball Era (1901-1920), Baseballs Rebirth (1921-1945), The Golden Years (1946-1960), Baseball Boom (1961-1979), Pre-Steroid Era (1980-1993), The Juiced Years (1994-2004), Modern Times (2005+)

Are Player Personalities and Morale turned on or off?

Do we use uniform rating / potential scales (1-10, for example, for each), or differing (1-10 actual, 1-5 potential)? No matter which way you vote, please list your desired scales in your vote.

Do we use the designated hitter in one league, both, or neither?

Do we have draft pick compensation for lost free agents?

Do we have a salary cap, luxury tax, or a completely free market (with the assumption that we all have the same market size and revenue streams to begin with)?
I'm taking it for granted that we will use a few baseball rules such as the 40 man roster, option years, salary arbitration, draftee bonuses w/ slots, 10/5 rule, etc. If any OOTP rule I have forgotten sticks out enough for you to feel strongly about then please mention it now so it can be brought before the league for voting.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Kelric, how about you be in charge of getting the league set up then, since you have both knowledge and motivation! Then as we get organized we can settle the commish issue. I am pretty sure I can do one or both sims, depending on the day.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

How many levels of minors? 3, 4 (has Short Season A), or 5 (Short and Rookie)?

3 or 4

Yes

Do we allow the trading of draft picks and players drafted during that season? (So if you draft a guy June 15th, 2012, you can't trade him until the offseason of 2012 begins.)

yes

Do we have waivers turned on or off? If on, they would be set to end one day after the sim period so a 14 day sim means a 15 day waiver period to allow people to claim a guy. The player would be available to you in the sim after you claim him. (Claiming him June 14th means you get him and are able to make a roster move with him on July 1st.)

I vote on. Without waiviers it's too easy to shuttle players around without consequence.

What era do we play in? Early Years (1871-1900), Deadball Era (1901-1920), Baseballs Rebirth (1921-1945), The Golden Years (1946-1960), Baseball Boom (1961-1979), Pre-Steroid Era (1980-1993), The Juiced Years (1994-2004), Modern Times (2005+)

I vote for modern (2005+) but could be persuaded otherwise.

On

Do we use uniform rating / potential scales (1-10, for example, for each), or differing (1-10 actual, 1-5 potential)? No matter which way you vote, please list your desired scales in your vote.

I think uniform is easier especially for newbies. 1-10 for both works well enough.

Either both or neither.

Yes

Do we have a salary cap, luxury tax, or a completely free market (with the assumption that we all have the same market size and revenue streams to begin with)?

If we're all starting with the same market size and revenue stream than the owner's budget should be more then enough to constrain salaries. I say no cap, no tax.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Yes

Yes

Abstain for now. What are the real consequences of having waivers turned off?

Pre-Steroid era or Modern Times.

On

Differing. 1-100 and 1-10 for potential.

Either both or neither, but I would prefer neither.

NO!

I vote salary cap and/or luxury tax. I think over time, it makes it harder for new owners to come in if someone has run a team into the ground. We will quickly reach a league of haves and have nots.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Crux wrote:Kelric, how about you be in charge of getting the league set up then, since you have both knowledge and motivation! Then as we get organized we can settle the commish issue. I am pretty sure I can do one or both sims, depending on the day.
I can start the ball rolling, sure.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Since interest seems to have died, would anyone be up for a smaller league? I'll be willing to commish if we're laid back enough about sim times that being a day late isn't a big deal. I'd feel more obligated to always be on time with a large group, but a more informal group would probably keep the feeling of obligation away while making it feel more like doing it for fun.

Off the top of my head, this is what I'm thinking: We sim whenever everybody has gotten their files in, or if we have slackers then we still sim a minimum of once a week. I imagine there will be times where we can sim three or four times a week and there will be times when it is once a week.

Thoughts?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm down with that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I could go for that and would even prefer the laid back approach, especially as I've never don't a MP league before and am likely to make some pretty big mistakes. I'll feel more at home this way. And honestly, if I get the new interface figured out correctly and figure out how to set the 7 day organization up for "out of the office" then just go ahead and put on the "never hold the game up over me" list and life is good.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

As I said in the other OOTP thread - I'm up for whatever sort of league we can get together.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm still up for whatever kind of league we can get rolling. Didn't see the latest questions asked. Here's my answers:

I'd prefer 3

Yes

Trading of draft picks and players drafted during that season?

Sure

Do we have waivers turned on or off?

I say off.

What era do we play in?

Don't care. If I had to vote, I'd say modern, but really don't care.

Player Personalities and Morale - on or off?

On

I like the same for both. 1-10 (or 1-100.. I think that's an option?)

Both

Was this the thing that was broken a version or two ago? If it's still broken - I say no. If it was fixed, I don't care. Fine with it.

Don't care. Fine with any choice.

Thanks guys for trying to get this rolling again.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm definitely in. Not able to co-commish right now, though. About to move from working days to nights and it's going to take me a while to get my bearings. But excited to be a very active owner! Will post my questionnaire answers later.

Crux

Post by Crux »

How about this: let's get a list of the original people who signed up. I'll PM them all and see who is still in. We can decide the size of league from there.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I think everybody posted in this thread.

JD
Exodor
malichai11
denoginizer_1
Mortis
Fitzy
godhugh
Lando
Ninyu
Isgrimnur
Alliedweasel
Sudy Nym
Baroquen
gellar
Crux
and myself
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'd prefer 3 for simplicity's sake unless there's a gameplay reason we should have more depending on our type of league.
I'll go along with the consensus.
I like the thought of the delay and not being able to trade picks to make sure everyone takes part in the draft, but I'm not passionate about it.
I'll go along with the consensus. Like the Rule V, can make for some decent pickups for poor teams, allow for salary dumps, and prevent good teams from hoarding talent. But they're also kind of a pain.
Probably any of the latter 3 unless we're aiming for some kind of special league.
Are they linked? I'm fine with personalities, but don't like morale.
1-10 actual and 1-5 potential, and differing for sure. While as mentioned, uniform may be easier for newbies, is that really a huge concern? And if so, are we open to reevaluating later? I'd like like not to have 1-100 ratings, or at least not for actual. Though I'd be fine with having 1-100 through the draft and maybe the first season if it's desired.
As we're sure to have different preferences, I'm happy to divide the league like in MLB. Let those with a strong preference play in their sub-league of choice. Personally I vote DH, but wouldn't be upset playing without one.
If the feature works, sure.
All starting on equal ground, I don't see a reason to have one at first. But may need to be revisited. Setting a fair one at the beginning would be tough withough having a lot of experience with fictional leagues.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:Alright, I'll volunteer to take on the mantle of organizing this motley crew. I'm willing to be a backup commish, but I don't want to commit to being at my computer by a certain time once a week simply because I don't know if I am ever going to be home for certain after 5 or 6pm. I could be the third of two co-commishes or the fourth of three, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'll even stay on board through the creation of the league and the draft, if necessary.

This is what I have for definite rules per consensus:
Fictional Players
4x4 division structure
Twice weekly sims
Two weeks per sim
Neither scouts nor coaches

This needs to be ironed out, but has a general consensus:
Lists of some sort for the draft, but a lot of people were on board with a live draft for the first few rounds.

These are all completely up in the air:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, with that and a few other rules, here are our new things to be voted on: (As some rules that need more definition get voted on, I'll put together new polls to narrow down the results)
  • How many levels of minors? 3, 4 (has Short Season A), or 5 (Short and Rookie)?

I'm taking it for granted that we will use a few baseball rules such as the 40 man roster, option years, salary arbitration, draftee bonuses w/ slots, 10/5 rule, etc. If any OOTP rule I have forgotten sticks out enough for you to feel strongly about then please mention it now so it can be brought before the league for voting.

Didn't pay attention when you're PM came by so I missed this...

Not attached but three seems fine. I play with the default (5 levels?) single player, but I don't think I want to manage too much for a long term commitment when other people are counting on me to play.

Doesn't matter.

I like trading recently drafted players, not so much on the draft picks. However it doesn't matter enough to complain either way. I do insist that if we allow draft pick trading that trades involving draft picks be reviewed.

After so many years, I'm still not sure how waivers work. I leave them on single player and occasionally lose players because of it and I never check the waiver wire to pick players up so they are a bit of an annoyance to me but if others like waivers then whatever. I'll make it work.

What era do we play in?

I prefer the modern era. It allows me to empathize with playing my team.

I'm not sure how they affect the game other than signing or not signing but I like the idea of having personalities.

Do we use uniform rating / potential scales (1-10, for example, for each), or differing (1-10 actual, 1-5 potential)?

I don't know what this means. I like putting all of the scales on their widest settings, like 1-100 and set to show when someone exceeds 100.

Dibs on being in DH league. I was raised watching the AL. I don't care about the other league.

Yes. But it's not really that important.

I'm not sure how a completely free market works, so if I understand correctly, I like the luxury tax option, or at least that's what I do single player.