Spies vs Spies opinions

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

LordMortis

Spies vs Spies opinions

Post by LordMortis »

Inspired by Grund's puzzle solving game.

I'm thinking about buying Tobago building a board and taking a picture of it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/604026/tobago" target="_blank

This board will be the basis for spies vs spies game.

Here are my initial thoughts on building the game concept.

The game would be built around groups of four players. Each set of four would be broken in to two opposite pairs. Each pair generated would be part of two opposing teams

8 players would have 2 teams of three pairs of spies. 12 players would have two teams of three pairs of spies, etc...

There would be three winning conditions.

1) A team win would occur if a team properly announces where the destruction of mankind would be found on the map. (An incorrect announcement kills the player making the announcement)
2) A pair win would happen if a pair of spies counterparts have been killed.
3) An individual win would happen if any single player killed three players on the other team.

Everyone knows whose team everyone else is on but not any of the pairings (including your own).

The sole action of a day is PM the mod what your action for the night will be. However you can discuss whatever you want in the forum. When all day actions have been submit, night time actions are resolved.

Night actions would involve looking for clues. discarding Clues. Using clues to find items. Using items. Stealing Clues and items. And counter espionage to prevent theft/allowing you to steal from the would be thieves.

The kinds of clues you would randomly find would be:

A piece to narrow down where the doom of mankind is
A piece to narrow down who is what pairing/What pairings are opposed to each other.
A piece of the location of an item

Discovering your pairing would allow you to PM

Items will be defensive items and weapons.

I'm still putting the idea together in my head but this would be the foundation.

Thoughts?
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Re: Spies vs Spies opinions

Post by bb2112 »

I think this is interesting, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the pairings and team concepts. Maybe it is because I'm tired. Either way, I would like to give it a try when you are ready. :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I don't know the board game, so I'm having some trouble envisioning how it would work. That said, it seems as if you do have an understanding of how it would work, so I'd definitely be game to try it!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Play wouldn't take place on a physical board. The board would be there to act as a puzzle.

Tobago is a treasure hunting game based on deduction. When you set up a board, each area of the board is unique but each is also part of a set of topographies. The game then comes with a deck of clue cards that describes areas on the by topography subsets. Your treasure is in water. Your treasure is next to forest. Your treasure is at least one hex away from a monolith. Your Treasure is not next to hills. etc... Essentially, I can use the game as a tool handing out clues, allowing people to narrow down a solution to a puzzle.

I may be making pairings sound more complicated than they are. There are two teams. Side A and Side B. Everybody has a buddy they don't know. If they discover their buddy they become like masons. Every pair of buddies would have opposite pair of buddies, whom the also would want to discover and kill. So there would be three ways to win the game.

1) Your team solves the puzzle. (Team win)
2) Your opposite pair dies. (Pairing win)
3) You become responsible for three other people's deaths. (lone victory)

So you win through spy coordination or spy treachery.

I'm thinking about ordering Tobago this week and going all hepcat on new games boardgames for the holiday season, hoping people have time to play... Or I'll find myself just leaving more unloved games over at Remus'...
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:Or I'll find myself just leaving more unloved games over at Remus'...
I'm good with this plan as I like the games you left at my house. Although I will also have time over the holidays so playing is an even better option.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Or I'll find myself just leaving more unloved games over at Remus'...
I'm good with this plan as I like the games you left at my house. Although I will also have time over the holidays so playing is an even better option.
I don't even know which games are at your place. Though I assume it is your copy of DotR at redrun's.

And Tobago has been ordered. It won't ship until after the 7th, so I'll put up more thunks after then.