BSG VIII -Assassination. Another minor human victory.

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Re: BSG VIII -Assassination. Another minor human victory.

Post by bb2112 »

Great game Lassr!!! Wow I can't believe it was so close again. I was reading through the cylon forum (haven't finished yet) and it is amazing that if they made just a couple (or even one) choice differently this would have been an entirely different game.

The fact that Cain and Saul were hidden in a group of 3 roles they were unsure about was extremely lucky for the human side.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yes, and although I agree that Cain was maybe too powerful you can see how close the Cylons were to actually winning. A different kill here or there could have won it.

Boomer's power was pretty useless and the converted Cylon had no power. They were definitely weaker than the humans but they were not chosen for this mission for their long term benefits. They were suppose to assassinate the president and get away. They failed so they had an uphill climb.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I was amused that my initial random vote turned out to be for a cylon (although it was the citizen-cylon).

Also in terms of it being close, while it came down to the final vote if it wasn't a sure thing either way on Scoop v. Rev I think there would have been a much more detailed analysis as to who was the cylon, which meant that vote might have gone a different direction.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Access to BSG 8 at the hidden forum is messed up. Working on it now.

edit: should be fixed now
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

link?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah... Reading the hidden forum.. I love that they almost offed me, that would have been amusing, since Starbuck would have been out day 1..instead of day 2...

Very close..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
RMC

Post by RMC »

Austin wrote:link?
http://ooww.freeforums.org/index.php" target="_blank
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow, is there any day that the Cylons didn't talk about wanting to kill me? Even after they knew (and forgot/remembered/forgot/remembered) that I was a Civilian, I was still high on the list. I guess a peon can't ask for much more, but wow.

Interesting special events. As a peon, I kind of felt along for the ride, but I'm not sure that would have changed much without the events.

Thanks for running the game!!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

The Cylons communication equipment was on the fritz a lot this game and I think they had some bad RAM.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Did I miss it? How much could Newcastle say and what were the penalties for saying too much?

Also, how close was I to getting Newc'd?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Cain’s secret event
If the lynch vote against Cain gets to half the majority (self vote does not count)Cain may scan one player and shoot one player. Once the PM is submitted to scan and shoot, any votes in the thread after that time are void. Once the Mod has posted the results of the shot in the game thread then voting will continue.

(Order would be submitted Scan Player X-Shoot player Y. Or Scan player X, if player X is Cylon then Shoot X, else shoot Y) Either is acceptable. 1 time power. Any votes for any player after you shoot will be null and void. Votes placed before the time of your shot will still stand.

If Cain receives 1 lynch vote 2 days in a row she may scan one player. Unlimited power, except each use restarts the day count. (Nighttime scan) Will be told Cylon or human.

If Cain survives until the last day (3 players remaining) and she receives a lynch vote then she will scan her voter then shoot the Cylon automatically.
I was going to joke vote for Newcastle and then remove it and vote for Scoop. I see that would have won us the game either way. :lol:
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

It is unfortunate that all the cylons seemed distracted in some way. But to be honest, other than a few players, everyone seemed distracted. The participation was way low compared to what I'm used to.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
stessier

Post by stessier »

bb2112 wrote:It is unfortunate that all the cylons seemed distracted in some way. But to be honest, other than a few players, everyone seemed distracted. The participation was way low compared to what I'm used to.
I don't know. Usually almost all of the Specials are talky. Think how much more alive it would have felt if all four of the Cylons were fully engaged.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I was trying to lay low...Thanks U, for picking up on nothing and almost getting me lynch'd. :)

Then once I was out, I really did not want to say too much, as I figured all that would do would give teh bad guys something to use to determine where my protections might have gone..
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

RMC wrote:I was trying to lay low...Thanks U, for picking up on nothing and almost getting me lynch'd. :)

Then once I was out, I really did not want to say too much, as I figured all that would do would give teh bad guys something to use to determine where my protections might have gone..
When Newcastle was getting ready to shoot and scan why did you not come forward with the information that you had protected Unagi and thus he had to be good? By keeping that to yourself the scan was made redundant when it could have been used to out a Cylon or clear another human. Only difference it made in the long run was Rev getting killed versus knowing the full roster a day earlier but still.

Lassr, I haven't been back to the other forum but did the Cylons have a choice on who to take out with Ellen when she died? If yes, then Cylons, why did you take out Unagi rather than RMC and thus free yourselves up to kill anyone?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:Lassr, I haven't been back to the other forum but did the Cylons have a choice on who to take out with Ellen when she died? If yes, then Cylons, why did you take out Unagi rather than RMC and thus free yourselves up to kill anyone?
Nope - as I speculated, last man on the lynch was the kill target. That type of Russian Roulette is actually kind of cool.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just looked through the spoiler forum for references to me to see how I was analyzed from the cylon side. Interesting note that Theohall is under the impression that I've been regularly killed early, so wanted to let me play out for a bit. I was killed early (immediately) in the Viking game, but otherwise that hasn't been an issue (though out of only like three games).

Also interesting that the reason that I was picked (from what I gather) is that I was fairly quiet after day 1, so they were guessing that I was a flying-under-the-radar Saul. Though the truth was really that after day 1 a lot of the interesting stuff happened to occur while I was offline, so I'd get on, see that interesting stuff had happened and been resolved, and then basically move on. It worked out well, though. Also interesting that strategic silence can be helpful in that way for a citizen, due to the general belief that specials will try to avoid attracting attention to themselves. It's also interesting that people form general views of how X person plays when they're good or bad from small sample sizes, then try to make decisions based on deviations from that perceived norm.

Also, thanks to Lassr for organizing and running the game!
Black Lives Matter.
purge

Post by purge »

Damn you, Newcastle. Damn youse to hell!

;)

Had you had offed stessier, this game could have had a happy ending. Plus, you should have scanned RMC. You know it was the right thing to do.

I've now played 2 BSG games, and both times I ended up as the sleeper (Baltar with Unagi as my Six). One thing that's missing in the spoiler thread is the title of Lassr's conversion text for me.

My message just before Theo and Scoop met the conversion requirements, I posted this (page 3, IIRC):
purge wrote:* Purge rubs up against against the nearest electronic device in a suggestive manner, but experiences no arousal. *

I'm safe, guys!
Then Theo hops on the Purge bandwagon, and I get a PM with the title:

"You got a boner afterall..."

Apparently, I like toasters.
Last edited by purge on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

purge wrote:I've now played 2 BSG games, and both times I ended up as the sleeper (Baltar with Unagi on my Six).
FTFY.
purge

Post by purge »

stessier wrote:
purge wrote:I've now played 2 BSG games, and both times I ended up as the sleeper (Baltar with Unagi on my Six).
FTFY.
Using the term "on", That'd be somewhere between being my 12, to my 1:30, depending on interest.
purge

Post by purge »

Anyone got pics of Unagi? He kept telling me he looked like this:

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Stessier - you were nowhere getting close to being shot that day, you were in my thought process...due to your attitude, but i figured i'd let the crew sort it out. The other thing to, I was wondering if you were trying to make sure you got shot and not someone else.

It's funny, because the whole game i'd put in a n-1 order w/ Unagi. From day 2, until i was revealed it was shoot unagi and scan X....the scan moved from theohall, BB, purge and i think one or two others. BUt i was deadset on shooting unagi, i thought him evil. The primary reason being him putting Remus at n-1 so BB could cap remus. I didnt like that connection.

Through my thread readings i also thought I saw a connection between unagi & purge and then w/ purge & stessier. So those were the three I was mainly interested in exposing. On Saturday Unagi did a LOT to push me into scanning him over shooting him, while Purge pretty much guaranteed himself a shot with how he posted. I also thought for a while that scoop could have been the seer, and that was another case for shooting purge over unagi.

There was more to it, which really was analyzing the situation and trying to figure out what would produce the most information, break any links players potentially had between each other, and basically what would happen after the shot.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh and Lassr - why is this a "minor" human victory? To make it a major do there need to be fewer human casualties?
Black Lives Matter.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I do think caine was over powered in the multitude of powers that she had. Each day I was workign to getting at least 1 lynch vote on me, while still laying low enough not to catch a train.

i think her scan & shoot simultaneous power were nice complements. They were kind of dodgy to get to be honest, and a train could have run me over (of course I put in the N-1 safeguards). Which was the balance that I had to strike, since I really wanted to last through the game. It was an interesting balancing act to say the least.

I think her getting a scan every 2 days, combined w/ shooting a cylon on the final day (if i get 1 vote) were what made her overpowered.

AND MY GOD! Do you know how hard I had to get a lynch vote sometimes, I was trying to think of who I could engage in retalitatory voting, how i could get myself painted as evil, and basically doing all i could to see like an evil toaster, while not getting a full on train.

I even went so far as typing up a lilst of "slips" i could make for day 4, to insure i got a train going on me so i could shoot someone.

The power was not easy to wield i must say...was fun though...lots of fun.
Bayraktar!!!!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote:Oh and Lassr - why is this a "minor" human victory? To make it a major do there need to be fewer human casualties?
a joke I started during the last game when it got down to 3 players. When i play some war games like Close Combat it will say minor victory or major victory and that's what I was doing.

Black Lives Matter
purge

Post by purge »

16 enter, maximum 11 walk out, and only 2 do. I'd say that was a minor victory. :P

Should have listened to Rev. Hell, look at the lists that Newc demanded before I was shot.

Someone (don't recall who ATM) had us dead-to-rights.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Why was I not drugged?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

purge wrote:Someone (don't recall who ATM) had us dead-to-rights.
bb2112 listed all of you accurately.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
purge

Re: BSG VIII -Assassination. Day 3

Post by purge »

bb2112 wrote:I can vote:

Scoop
Qantaga
Purge

Could probably be talked into Theo. Not that I really believe he is a cylon, but he is bugging me. Athough I would rather not miss again.
It was BB. Bastard. :P

GG, guys. Glad I could be (even for a few hours) on the winning team! :D
purge

Post by purge »

Austin wrote:Why was I not drugged?
First night, Ellen felt like since she had limited number of drugs that it was a crapshoot.

Check out the cylon forum.

Found the link:

http://ooww.freeforums.org/failed-assas ... html#p3506" target="_blank
Last edited by purge on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
purge

Post by purge »

That surprise kill of Unagi killed any chance Qantaga had to convince Doc that he was the Seer. :P

Seers, when killed, don't usually kill another human - however that would make an interesting twist on the cylon convert - they zerk on ANYONE, or good chars, because of old programming.

Kinda like Boomer at the end of season one.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

One major strategic slips that I thought the cylons made were in not killing the provens/knowns. You guys should have killed Austin & RMC asap. Because RMC was able to prove himself via claiming Austin human. The fact that we had 2 provens in the pool of everyone really hurt your guys hiding chances.

I read the cylon forums, and i realize you were on the hunt for Saul the whole time. Evn if it let grund and Elguapo run around for an extra day or two that would have been worth the risk, because letting those two live, seriously hurt you guys I thought.
Bayraktar!!!!

purge

Post by purge »

Going after the proven meant dealing with Starbucks power.

Ellen sleeping around and us hunting the seer / Cain made more sense at the time. I think leaving starbuck as-is was fine, it was Austin that we wanted.

Had we killed Newcastle or BB instead of El Guapo, this would have ended differently, I think, as we still would have been four strong. Doc could say what he wanted, but he was still unproven by the very merit that he still lived through the night. If would have made more sense to have ellen sleep with Doc on the night that we thought we'd get the seer though so that any info died with them.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

you would have had to deal with it at some point, even if it wastes a night kill....taking out provens should be a #1 priority in almost every circumstance. I understand why you didnt, and there are reasons why you shouldnt; but i think if i were on that side, i would have advocated going after him.

Even after RMC was revealed, it would have been best if you would have gone after him; once you killed him, you'd know you'd never be blocked, the scanner would be dead the second he revealed; if austin was gone, Saul's info would have gone w/ him. It would have made your guys life easier.

Granted hindsight is 20/20 and you guys were in the drivers seat for the first few days, till that damn bitch shot someone! :wink:
Bayraktar!!!!

RevHempus71

Post by RevHempus71 »

BSG was yet another success. Thank you Lassr.

Now why am I always so damn guilty fellas........ Sheesh.

Good job NewCastle on jumping through the hoops to get your powers.
Sheesh...... May I please get out of the corner now???? I promise to behave........
stessier

Post by stessier »

RevHempus71 wrote:Now why am I always so damn guilty fellas........ Sheesh.
I think we explained this already. On the day you suicided, it's not that you looked particularly guilty - Scoop just looked less guilty.
purge

Post by purge »

He was pushing hard for me, without warning. That's where the "what's your strategy?" message came from in the cylon forum.

Cripes, I thought he'd need to be reprogrammed. The only question was with which firmware? Tassimo or Keurig?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
RevHempus71 wrote:Now why am I always so damn guilty fellas........ Sheesh.
I think we explained this already. On the day you suicided, it's not that you looked particularly guilty - Scoop just looked less guilty.
Plus there was this post from Rev:
RevHempus71 wrote:I am totally a cylon, and so would win with the cylons. Because again, I am a cylon and not a human.
Gotta admit that looked pretty incriminating at the time.
Black Lives Matter.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Great game, as always, Lassr!

Congrats to the humans on their victory!

I am in the midst of a busy day and only have a couple of minutes. I will have more to say tonight. :)

While I do have a moment, I want to answer this:
Austin wrote:Why was I not drugged?

You have to remember that, at the start of the game, we didn't even know that a convert was a possibility. Lassr didn't reveal that until the game had already been underway. So, we were looking at a game where we needed 5 misses to win.

I only had 3 drugs and 2 searches.

The game started at night with no meaningful discussion or any votes to go on. We were flailing around blindly on the kill and the use of Ellen's power that night.

So, if we need 5 missed lynches, why would I want to use one of my 3 drugs blindly? Everyone knew that Ellen was still alive, so there was no benefit to hide the fact that she slept with someone.

What I found interesting is that you assumed that I searched your room that first night.

If I didn't use the drug (of which I had 3) on you, why would you think I would have searched you?

There was no way I would have used a search without applying the drug, so the very fact that you knew you had been slept with should have alerted you that the search was not performed, either.

We did not know you were Doc until you self-revealed. You could have stayed hidden. Our mistake was not killing you sooner, but we were limited in that regard, too. We knew that Starbuck would protect you the second night and we didn't know who Starbuck was at that time. Then, on the third night (although I advocated killing you), the cylon majority opinion was to continue to search for Saul.

More tonight.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
bb2112
End of Days

Re: BSG VIII -Assassination. Day 3

Post by bb2112 »

purge wrote:
bb2112 wrote:I can vote:

Scoop
Qantaga
Purge

Could probably be talked into Theo. Not that I really believe he is a cylon, but he is bugging me. Athough I would rather not miss again.
It was BB. Bastard. :P

GG, guys. Glad I could be (even for a few hours) on the winning team! :D

There was an even better post.
bb2112 wrote:Summary
Qantaga ---- Scoop, NC, Theo, bb
RMC --------- Theo, bb, Rev
Stess -------- Rev, Unagi, Theo, NC
Unagi -------- Theo, NC, Stess
bb2112 ------ Scoop, Qantaga, Purge, Theo.
At this time the only one I knew for sure was Q, since I scanned him the morning of the second day. The only problem was, that I was the only person that even had Q on my threat list. There was no way I was going to be able to talk you guys into going along with my vote. Hell, I couldn't even talk NC into scanning Theo and he was on just about everybody's list. :wink:

Nice job cylons. It was close.
Last edited by bb2112 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.