[4OTP] Second Try At A New League

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Kelric

[4OTP] Second Try At A New League

Post by Kelric »

Okay, so it looks like we have seven people who have kept up on the conversations: myself, Isgrimnur, Mortis, Exodor, Baroquen, Sudy Nym, and Crux. That gives us seven - one more lets us do two leagues of four teams, three more players lets us do two leagues of five. Assuming we can get at least one more, this is what seems to be the consensus...

Fictional league
Modern Era
Two weeks per sim, we will sim whenever everyone gets their file in or a minimum of once per week
Neither scouts nor coaches will be on
Three levels of minors (AAA, AA, A)
Rule V draft is on
Player personality is on, but morale is off

These are the things I think we need to discuss still:
Do we allow draft picks to be traded? People seem okay with allowing recently drafted players to be traded in their first offseason, but I think allowing picks to be dealt can unbalance stuff pretty quickly with a savvy owner or two.

Are we going to turn waivers on? It can be a hassle at times, but I do like the chance it gives people to pick up players.

Rating scales. I'm fine with giving us 1-100 for the initial draft to let people get a better read. After that people seem to prefer 1-10 generally, but we need to hammer our details.

Designated hitter? Seems like giving one league the DH and one without is what people seem to want to do. True?

Free agent draft pick compensation? I haven't seen this be 'broken' myself, so I'm not sure where people are coming from on that one. But if it works properly, people seem to be okay with turning it on.
Exodor

Re: [4OTP] Second Try At A New League

Post by Exodor »

Kelric wrote: Do we allow draft picks to be traded?
No. Seems too unbalancing.
Are we going to turn waivers on?
Yes - otherwise it's too easy to stockpile young talent in the high minors and shuffle them around.
Rating scales. I'm fine with giving us 1-100 for the initial draft to let people get a better read. After that people seem to prefer 1-10 generally, but we need to hammer our details.
This seems fair - 1-100 initially, 1-10 or 1-8 once we're going.

Designated hitter? Seems like giving one league the DH and one without is what people seem to want to do. True?
I don't care what we do with the DH. :oops:
Free agent draft pick compensation?
I'd prefer to leave this on.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Trading: Recently drafted players - sure. Draft picks - no.

Waivers: No

Ratings: I always like 1-100. If not that, then 1-10.

DH: I like the DH. If we go one league with/one league without, do we get to choose?

FA Draft Pick Compensation: Yes
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Again, I'll play with whatever.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alliedweasel

Post by Alliedweasel »

Just saw this thread, but I would still be interested.

Draft Pick trading: No

Wavers: Yes

Ratings: Im fine with the 1-100 then move to 1-10 scale.

DH: I like DH, but I would be fine without it as well.

Free Agent Comp: Leave it on
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I like DHing but then I come from an AL town.
I like 1-100 scale but then it probably won't matter much. I'm not so swift with baseball so I'm always going to prefer more handicapping.
Ninyu

Post by Ninyu »

I am still interested as well. I am good with whatever is decided. If you need a tie breaking vote, I like the DH rule.
denoginizer_1

Post by denoginizer_1 »

If there are no scouts I am out. I think it takes alot of the fun out of multiplayer franchises if everyone sees all of the potentials the same and they are 100% accurate.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

denoginizer_1 wrote:If there are no scouts I am out. I think it takes alot of the fun out of multiplayer franchises if everyone sees all of the potentials the same and they are 100% accurate.
I can't speak to the use of scouting, as I've never bothered to figure it out since being frustrated by it in versions past. But this, in my mind, is one of the virtues of smaller, disproportionate ratings scales. E.g. if ability is 1-10 and potential is 1-5.

I actually don't have an issue with everyone seeing the same ratings; those ratings just shouldn't be clear. The issue with scouting is presumably an owner who bungles things winds up with a horrible scouting director and is at an extreme disadvantage.
Kelric wrote: Do we allow draft picks to be traded?
No.
Are we going to turn waivers on?
Yes.
Rating scales.
1-10 is my preference, or 2-8. What I'd most like is for potential to be on a smaller scale than current ability.
Yep. Should let everyone strongly for or against have their preference, with the rest not caring.
Free agent draft pick compensation? I haven't seen this be 'broken' myself, so I'm not sure where people are coming from on that one. But if it works properly, people seem to be okay with turning it on.
Sure.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Time for the OOTP13 discussion. I presume we'd be going with OOTP12 until some (many/all) patches down the line? I decided not to preorder 13 because I felt like I'd just paid for version 12. I'm personally inclined to wait for the first sale to pick it up. And if it's anything like this last cycle, that won't be too long after launch, as OOTPD seems to have caught on to the digital distribution sale model. (Unless that was just to make up for last year's game coming out so late.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

This league idea has bigger issues to tackle than which version, at this point.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Anyone else having problems with the most recent league file?