Empire Strikes Back - Rules and Sign Ups

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

El Guapo

Re: Empire Strikes Back - Rules and Sign Ups

Post by El Guapo »

I'm trying to decide whether the decision not to include Watto is anti-semitic, or anti-anti-semitic.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

redrun wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Is there going to be a deadline on this game. and what happens if it passes without a lynch?
YES!!!! I believe deadlines are necessary. And if it passes without a lynch then it goes to night.
Yeah, that's my preference. I can see the case for no deadline, but realistically I'm never going to do the late game research into past posts if there's no deadline. At least, that's what I'm finding. :)
With Tru1cy busy, and your worries about doing late game research, I'd like to offer my help. I'll do careful research, and you two can just vote as I do, OK?
Sounds good. Let me know what you find when you dig into the Superheroes game.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lock S-foils in attack positions. :horse: :grund:
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Still room? In if so.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

RMC wrote:Is there a Jar Jar Binks in this game?

Me so fummy!!!
You claim Jar Jar and I'm lynching you on general principal.

Allthough, maybe there should be a role for him in the game.

Jar Jar - his ability is to be so annoying that he can compel the votes of a majority of the players to be directed his way.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
purge

Post by purge »

Remus West wrote: Allthough, maybe there should be a role for him in the game.
 Remus West 

Last edited by purge on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Remus West wrote:

Me so fummy!!!

Jar Jar - his ability is to be so annoying that he can compel the votes of a majority of the players to be directed his way.
That would be a cool ability... The ability to post as someone else... Like using the force..

"This is not the wolf you are looking for"

I think it would be impossible to implement, but an awesome idea..You can knock someone out, and then 'take over' a few of their posts...

I guess it could work if it was somehow tied to PM's that came through the moderator...Hmm..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

You misunderstand. By "his way" I mean for him. i.e. he proclaims that he is Jar Jar Binks and a majority of the players instantly vote to kill him. :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
purge

Post by purge »

All you'd have to do is have Jar-Jar send a PM to the moderator, and have all non-votes (or minority votes) get culled into the desired lynch target that JarJar indicated.

JarJar is a proven role - EVERYONE knows him at that point.

Also...

I hate you.
purge

Post by purge »

Remus West wrote:You misunderstand. By "his way" I mean for him. i.e. he proclaims that he is Jar Jar Binks and a majority of the players instantly vote to kill him. :lol:
I can get behind that. Since he was instrumental in the downfall of the republic, I think he'd be listed as a villain, no?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Ahh... But he has to have the ability to declare someone else is Jar Jar at the same time. So who do you kill?

Maybe you give him a scan, and when he finds player role X, then he can declare Jar Jar Baby..

And both are outed as Jar Jar, and the village has to lynch one of them in 24 hours, or both are lynched.

A good way for team evil to stall a vote if it is going against Jar Jar, and Role X is trying to prove himself..

<shrug> Maybe not a Jar Jar thing at all..And maybe a bad ability, but it sounds cool to the voices in my head..
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Again, you misunderstand. I am not trying to make a cool power. I am trying to make sure Jar Jar dies. As quickly as possible. :P
RMC

Post by RMC »

Remus West wrote:Again, you misunderstand. I am not trying to make a cool power. I am trying to make sure Jar Jar dies. As quickly as possible. :P
Well what started as trying to kill Jar Jar started me thinking of cool powers.. :)

:lol:
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

good lord....22 people IN 1 game...holy macaroNI!
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Newcastle wrote:good lord....22 people IN 1 game...holy macaroNI!
Those are just the Specials in the first post. You have to scroll down a few to see the actual roster. :shock:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

22 so far. Boy poking the quiets in this game will take forever!
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Mr Bubbles wrote:22 so far. Boy poking the quiets in this game will take forever!
Nope. It will take you exactly as long as your time limit. Then you are forced to make a decision or suffer the consequences. :twisted:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Mr Bubbles wrote:22 so far. Boy poking the quiets in this game will take forever!
This should do us 'til Christmas!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Lassr wrote:
This should do us 'til Christmas!
I was trying to make it last until Remus updates Arkham. So yeah, maybe Christmas.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

I've always wanted to get into one of these but I don't have the slightest inkling to how they are played. I check OO several times daily (from work, home PC, mobile) and always thought that would make me a good candidate/player...but is there a forum with rules for these types of forum games? I'm assuming once I know the WW basics I can use those rules for multiple games, right?

Sorry for the derail.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

WarPig wrote:I've always wanted to get into one of these but I don't have the slightest inkling to how they are played. I check OO several times daily (from work, home PC, mobile) and always thought that would make me a good candidate/player...but is there a forum with rules for these types of forum games? I'm assuming once I know the WW basics I can use those rules for multiple games, right?

Sorry for the derail.
Not at all. Rules for WW are easy. There are two basic teams. Evil vs good to put it simply. Team evil in this game is represented by the Empire. Team good is represented by the Rebel Alliance. Team good do not know each other and out number team evil by a lot. Team evil gets a private forum to plot their overthrow of team good.

To win team good is trying to figure out who is on team evil and eliminate them from the game. Each day every player gets one vote, whether on team evil or team good. The votes are used to lynch one player. Hopefully an evil player.

Team evil is trying to win by killing off team good. They create confusion and try to steer the good guys to lynching other good guys since team good doesn't know who anyone are. Each night team evil gets to kill one player. Hopefully through attrition of lynches and night kills they wipe out the good guys.

Then it gets slightly more complicated when you add in personalities. At the start of the game everyone is PM'd their role so you will know which team you are on.

You will pick it up very quickly. :D
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Well then, I don't know if there's room in this one, but I would love to get in on the fun.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Welcome aboard. I'll add, don't get discouraged. We picked on the new players...A LOT but it's because we don't know your habits or how you play the game. SO we find it harder to judge if you are good or bad.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

We all got picked on and now the pecking order has found a new subject. Let the beatings commence.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Lassr wrote:Welcome aboard. I'll add, don't get discouraged. We picked on the new players...A LOT but it's because we don't know your habits or how you play the game. SO we find it harder to judge if you are good or bad.
Do what I did when I started... Just follow Scoops lead...hehe..he hates it... :)
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

WarPig wrote:is there a forum with rules for these types of forum games?
Rules:
Rule 1: Support your team.
Rule 2: Stay alive, unless it interferes with Rule 1.
Rule 3: Thwart the other team, unless it interferes with Rule 1 or Rule 2.
Rule 4: Observe the rules strictly, unless it interferes with Rule 1 or Rule 2 or Rule 3 or Rule 4.

Etiquette:
It is better to post a lot than to stay silent. Everyone suspects the silent ones.
It is better to stay silent than to post a lot. Everyone suspects the frequent posters.
It is better to keep a high or low profile than to post in moderation. Everyone suspects those who go along to get along.
It is better to post in moderation than to keep a high or low profile. Everyone suspects the immoderate.
Do not edit your posts after you've submitted them, unless you're willing to take the ensuing flack.
Do not PM anyone other than the Moderator unless you're specifically empowered to do so (e.g., in a twin/mason relationship)
Do not discuss the game outside the game unless you're specifically permitted to do so (e.g., in a side forum)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

WarPig wrote:.but is there a forum with rules for these types of forum games? I'm assuming once I know the WW basics I can use those rules for multiple games, right?
Two rules:

1. Everything is permitted, nothing is forbidden.

2. Nothing is permitted, everything is forbidden.

Keep those in mind and you'll do great.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

You forgot two rules.
Don't protest too much and try to defend yourself too much. People will think you're evil.
Never get defensive, it just provokes everyone.
Bertrand Russell
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

think of it this way:

if you're good:
youre a detective and youre on the trail of a group of murderers amongst a small group of people. try to figure out relationships; who's avoiding who; analyze what people post and what they say; analyze how they use numbers; analyze also what they dont say, and what they dont suggest; see if people are being followers and not leaders; see if people are confident they survive the night; look at people's rationale for voting, and how easy they are swayed.

If you're evil:
do the above, and ask your team mates.

Also, we've played this a lot so we understand a lot of nuances of each others play; which you might not get: Remus is verbose; Truicy isnt; stessier is a rules monkey; Scoop is eccentric; CR is weird; If you got Unagi on your ass, watch out. call the doc you'll be needing stitches.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

Newcastle wrote:think of it this way:

if you're good:
youre a detective and youre on the trail of a group of murderers amongst a small group of people. try to figure out relationships; who's avoiding who; analyze what people post and what they say; analyze how they use numbers; analyze also what they dont say, and what they dont suggest; see if people are being followers and not leaders; see if people are confident they survive the night; look at people's rationale for voting, and how easy they are swayed.

If you're evil:
do the above, and ask your team mates.
I like this explanation. Kind of like a real-life game of Clue, but with a conspiracy of bad guys. The bad guys don't want to give themselves away and will subtly (or not) do what they can to undermine the heroes' efforts to expose them.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If he couldn't pick up that I'm verbose by looking at my post count he is going to suck at this game. :P

But seriously, I don't talk that much do I? :lol:
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of...you?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

WarPig wrote:I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of...you?
Yep, you'll fit right in. :lol:
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

23 players? :shock:

In, because you know you want to kill me.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Lagom Lite wrote:23 players? :shock:

In, because you know you want to kill me.
 Lagom Lite 

We can start already right?
Bertrand Russell
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

With JLA finally over, my game will be starting soon. PM's will go out tonight, or tomorrow at the latest. :D
purge

Post by purge »

PAGING REVHEMPUS71!!!

Can someone swipe his bong? He'll come in here looking for it.
redrun

Post by redrun »

Remus West wrote:

Me so fummy!!!

I've got a perfect role for him. We start on day 1. He gets to be the automatic night 0 kill that starts everything off.
Sufficient I am to the day.
redrun

Post by redrun »

El Guapo wrote:
redrun wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Is there going to be a deadline on this game. and what happens if it passes without a lynch?
YES!!!! I believe deadlines are necessary. And if it passes without a lynch then it goes to night.
Yeah, that's my preference. I can see the case for no deadline, but realistically I'm never going to do the late game research into past posts if there's no deadline. At least, that's what I'm finding. :)
With Tru1cy busy, and your worries about doing late game research, I'd like to offer my help. I'll do careful research, and you two can just vote as I do, OK?
Sounds good. Let me know what you find when you dig into the Superheroes game.
There are good guys, there are bad guys, and the good guys should kill the bad guys.
Sufficient I am to the day.