Puerto Rico, Game 01: Transit of Venus: GAME OVER

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

Puerto Rico, Game 01: Transit of Venus: GAME OVER

Post by Grundbegriff »

A Gentle Introduction in 7 Parts.
The Rulebook we're using.

This is a game of vanilla (unexpanded) Puerto Rico, with two house rules: university/factory price swap and starters with corn have N-1 doubloons.

The players are Newcastle, LordMortis, El Guapo, Chaosraven, and Qantaga. Random.org has determined the seating order and the first governorship. Here's a summary of your position and starting assets:

Seat 1: El Guapo (first Governor): 4 doubloons, 1 indigo plantation
Seat 2: Newcastle: 4 doubloons, 1 indigo plantation
Seat 3: Chaosraven: 4 doubloons, 1 indigo plantation
Seat 4: LordMortis: 3 doubloons, 1 corn plantation
Seat 5: Qantaga: 3 doubloons, 1 corn plantation
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Grundbegriff

SUMMARY of the BUILDINGS

Post by Grundbegriff »

There are six (6) kinds of production building and seventeen (17) kinds of beige buildings (12 short and 5 tall).

The 20 production buildings:
Spoiler:
  • small indigo plant: cost: 1, capacity: 1, VP value: 1, quantity: 4
  • small sugar mill: cost: 2, capacity: 1, VP value: 1, quantity: 4
  • large indigo plant: cost: 3, capacity: 3, VP value: 2, quantity: 3
  • large sugar mill: cost: 4, capacity: 3, VP value: 2, quantity: 3
  • tobacco storage: cost: 5, capacity: 3, VP value: 3, quantity: 3
  • coffee roaster: cost: 6, capacity: 2, VP value: 3, quantity: 3
The 12 short beige buildings:
Spoiler:
  • small market: cost: 1, capacity: 1, VP value: 1, quantity: 2 (Trader: +1 doubloon when selling to the Trade House.)
  • hacienda: cost: 2, capacity: 1, VP value: 1, quantity: 2 (Settler: +1 facedown plantation)
  • construction hut: cost: 2, capacity: 1, VP value: 1, quantity: 2 (Settler: take a quarry instead of a plantation)
  • small warehouse: cost: 3, capacity: 1, VP value: 1, quantity: 2 (Captain: store all goods of one kind instead of wasting them)
  • hospice: cost: 4, capacity: 1, VP value: 2, quantity: 2 (Settler: chosen plantation already has a colonist)
  • office: cost: 5, capacity: 1, VP value: 2, quantity: 2 (Trader: sell redundant kinds of goods to the Trade House)
  • large market: cost: 5, capacity: 1, VP value: 2, quantity: 2 (Trader: +2 doubloons when selling to the Trade House.)
  • large warehouse: cost: 6, capacity: 1, VP value: 2, quantity: 2 (Captain: store all goods of two kinds instead of wasting them)
  • university: cost: 7, capacity: 1, VP value: 3, quantity: 2 (Builder: purchased building already has a colonist)
  • factory: cost: 8, capacity: 1, VP value: 3, quantity: 2 (Craftsman: receive doubloons for diversity of product line)
  • harbor: cost: 8, capacity: 1, VP value: 3, quantity: 2 (Captain: +1 VP for each load of goods shipped)
  • wharf: cost: 9, capacity: 1, VP value: 3, quantity: 2 (Captain: Ship all goods of one kind on a private vessel)
Enlarge Image
The 5 tall beige buildings:
Spoiler:
  • Guild Hall: cost: 10, capacity: 1, VP value: 4, quantity: 1 (Scoring: +1 VP per small production bldg. +2 VP per large production bldg.)
  • Residence: cost: 10, capacity: 1, VP value: 4, quantity: 1 (Scoring: +4-7 VP for 9-12 slots filled with plantations & quarries.)
  • Fortress: cost: 10, capacity: 1, VP value: 4, quantity: 1 (Scoring: +1 VP for every 3 colonists.)
  • Customs House: cost: 10, capacity: 1, VP value: 4, quantity: 1 (Scoring: +1 VP for every 4 VP chips earned.)
  • City Hall: cost: 10, capacity: 1, VP value: 4, quantity: 1 (Scoring: +1 VP for every beige building.)
Enlarge Image
In addition to the buildings, there are eight (8) quarries.

No player may build two buildings of the same type. This goes for production buildings and beige buildings.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Grundbegriff

STARTING BOARD

Post by Grundbegriff »

Victory Point Chips: 122
Doubloons: 60 - 18 == 42
Colonists in supply: 95
Colonists on inbound ship: 5

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
The number on the left is the price in doubloons. For worker capacity and VP value, see the BUILDINGS section above.
As these are acquired, I'll put them under erasure and mark them with the initial of the owner EG, N, C, LM, or Q.

Bank Board
Column 1
(1) [small indigo plant] [small indigo plant] [small indigo plant] [small indigo plant]
(2) [small sugar mill] [small sugar mill] [small sugar mill] [small sugar mill]
(1) [small market] [small market]
(2) [hacienda] [hacienda]
(2) [construction hut] [construction hut]
(3) [small warehouse] [small warehouse]
Column 2
(3) [large indigo plant] [large indigo plant] [large indigo plant]
(4) [large sugar mill] [large sugar mill] [large sugar mill]
(4) [hospice] [hospice]
(5) [office] [office]
(5) [large market] [large market]
(6) [large warehouse] [large warehouse]
Column 3
(5) [tobacco storage] [tobacco storage] [tobacco storage]
(6) [coffee roaster] [coffee roaster] [coffee roaster]
(7) [university] [university]
(8) [factory] [factory]
(8) [harbor] [harbor]
(9) [wharf] [wharf]
Column 4
(10) [guild hall]
(10) [residence]
(10) [fortress]
(10) [customs house]
(10) [city hall]
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Plantations and Quarries Available
Plantations:
  • tobacco
  • indigo
  • indigo
  • indigo
  • sugar
  • sugar
Quarries:
  • Quarry
  • Quarry
  • Quarry
  • Quarry
  • Quarry
  • Quarry
  • Quarry
  • Quarry
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
Grundbegriff

Re: STARTING BOARD

Post by Grundbegriff »

Here is your starting board. Click it to zoom in on the lower right portion.
1: El Guapo <== Governor
Victory Points: 000
Doubloons: 04
Idle Colonists: 00
Crates on Hand: Corn: 00, Indigo: 00, Sugar: 00, Tobacco: 00, Coffee:00
Plantations and workers:
[indigo______________0] [____________________] [____________________] [____________________]
[____________________] [____________________] [____________________] [____________________]
[____________________] [____________________] [____________________] [____________________]
Buildings and workers:

2: Newcastle
Plantations and workers:
[indigo______________0] [____________________] [____________________] [____________________]
Buildings and workers:

3: Chaosraven
Plantations and workers:
Buildings and workers:

4: LordMortis
Doubloons: 03
Plantations and workers:
[corn_______________0] [____________________] [____________________] [____________________]
Buildings and workers:

5: Qantaga
Plantations and workers:
[corn_______________0] [____________________] [____________________] [____________________]
Buildings and workers:

The game proceeds in Governorships, called Rounds, in which each player takes a turn selecting (from those available) a card in terms of which everyone then acts (or passes). Here are the cards:
Enlarge Image
  • Builder (+0)
  • Captain (+0)
  • Craftsman (+0)
  • Mayor (+0)
  • Prospector (+0)
  • Prospector (+0)
  • Settler (+0)
  • Trader (+0)
As these are taken in each round, I'll put them under erasure and mark them with the initials of the taker. The parenthetical number is the quantity of doubloons sitting on the card. They go to the next person who takes that card.

Action is on El Guapo. What would you like to do today? :horse:
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grundbegriff

Questions and Answers

Post by Grundbegriff »

To some extent, I'll record questions and answers here.

Q: Will you be showing each player's running total of Victory Points?
A: No. The numbers will start at 00, proceed to ??, and finish with the final calculation. However, I will show the number of Victory Point counters remaining, since their elimination is one of the ways to end the game.

Q: Why have them on the virtual Player Board at all?
A: So the final Player Board will be a complete snapshot of that player's achievement.

Q: How does this round/turn/action thing work?
A: A round is like a 5-course meal, and a turn is like a course in that meal-- say, the entree or the dessert. Each player takes a turn selecting which course will come next, whereupon everyone has some of that dish. Let's consider an example. El Guapo is Governor. For the first turn of his reign/round, he will select one of the 8 role cards. He'll take that action if he wishes, and will enjoy the special privilege or benefit mentioned on the card. Then every other player will also have an option to take that card's action (without the privilege or benefit). Once the Governor's turn (but not his round!) is played out, the next player, Newcastle, will select one of the 7 remaining cards. He'll take that action if he wishes, enjoying the perq. Then every other player will also have an option to take that card's action. Then it'll be Chaosraven's turn for this round. He will select one of the remaining 6 cards, and everyone will play it. For his turn, LordMortis will select one of the remaining 5, and everyone will play it. Finally, Qantaga will select one of the remaining 4, and everyone will play it. I will then place a doubloon on each of the three cards that were not selected. That ends the round and Governorship. The Governorship then moves from El Guapo to Newcastle, and the whole cycle of turns (i.e., card selections) and actions (per selected card) repeats. And so on.
El Guapo

Re: Puerto Rico, Game 01: Transit of Venus

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, let's give this a whirl.

I'll choose the Settler action, and take a quarry.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I may have breezed through "the Rules" as I know the board game fairly well after being refreshed in playing a round a few weeks ago. I didn't see where we should PM the next person. Is that a common courtesy?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Couldn't hurt.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Aw shit, I'm sitting to Newcastles left *again*? I call shenanigans.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaosraven wrote:Aw shit, I'm sitting to Newcastles left *again*? I call shenanigans.
Don't worry, he went to sensitivity training after the last 'incident'.

I shot a PM to Newcastle to give him a heads up, since it seems like we're adopting that practice.
Black Lives Matter.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Chaosraven wrote:Aw shit, I'm sitting to Newcastles left *again*? I call shenanigans.
/stares at CR
/puts fingers to temple
/a visions crosses his mind
"Ahh so thats what CR wants.....wait..wait...ewwwwwwwwww"
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Plantations and Quarries are free right? Also where is the cost/sell value of each good?
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I'LL TAKE TOBACCO
Bayraktar!!!!

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

With two sugars, you ain't stopping me.
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I take Sugar.
"Where are you off to?"

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

LordMortis wrote:I may have breezed through "the Rules" as I know the board game fairly well after being refreshed in playing a round a few weeks ago. I didn't see where we should PM the next person. Is that a common courtesy?
I'll leave that up to you. I know that system worked well for The Meal's poker games. But my impression is that folks in this forum may already have the habit of monitoring the thread.

In addition, there's a "subscribe topic" link in the bottom left of the thread. Anyone who selects it will receive email notifications when the thread changes. I find that feature useful.

FYI, I happen to be offsite at the moment, so I can reach OO. However, I normally cannot hit OO from work. So my plan is to update every day in the late afternoon, and again in the late evening.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Newcastle wrote:Plantations and Quarries are free right?
They're free (no cost in doubloons), but they may only be taken (a) from those currently in the face-up plantations display (shown in a prior post), and (b) during the Settler turn of a round. At the end of the Settler phase, I'll discard any remaining plantation tiles and deal another six.

The entire set of plantation tiles has been shuffled by Random.org, and I'll use that service to handle additional shuffling whenever we fold in the discards.
Newcastle wrote:Also where is the cost/sell value of each good?
Right here, along with the three outbound ships we'll be using:

From time to time, I'll update this photo with the game's current state.

Without the boost from a market, corn trades at 0, indigo at 1, sugar at 2, tobacco at 3, and coffee at 4.

Other Trader rules:
(a) The trading house may contain, at most, one of each kind of good.
(b) Goods stay on the trading house until it is full. Then they're flushed.
(c) A player who has an office may violate rule (a) by selling redundant goods to the trading house.

As you all select role placards that raise additional nuances of the rules, I'll explain those rules in greater detail.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Round 1
El Guapo: Settler (quarry); Newcastle (tobacco); Chaosraven (sugar); LordMortis (indigo); Qantaga ()
Newcastle:
Chaosraven:
LordMortis:
Qantaga:
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess that mean I take Indigo

Qantaga's choice.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

1: El Guapo <== Governor
Plantations and workers:
[indigo______________0] [____________________] [____________________] [quarry______________0]
Buildings and workers:

2: Newcastle
Plantations and workers:
[indigo______________0] [tobacco_____________0] [____________________] [____________________]
Buildings and workers:

3: Chaosraven
Plantations and workers:
[indigo______________0] [sugar_______________0] [____________________] [____________________]
Buildings and workers:
  • Builder (+0)
  • Captain (+0)
  • Craftsman (+0)
  • Mayor (+0)
  • Prospector (+0)
  • Prospector (+0)
  • Settler (+0) EG
  • Trader (+0)
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

4: LordMortis
Plantations and workers:
[corn_______________0] [indigo______________0] [____________________] [____________________]
Buildings and workers:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Q: Do I have to take an action on a given turn?
A: No. You may pass. One exception is the Captain phase, during which you must ship goods if you can.

BTW, feel free to roll along as far as you wish into the round. Don't feel you have to wait for me unless you have a question or there's another reason to pause.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Is settling optional?
"Where are you off to?"

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

I'll take sugar, please.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think that means that it's Newcastle's turn to choose an action.
Black Lives Matter.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

grabbing prospector
Bayraktar!!!!

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I will take BUILDER. Build Small Sugar Mill for 1 (2 minus builder priv).
"Where are you off to?"

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wow. Getting the shaft on money and going at the end of the line sucks.

Build a small Indigo Plant for 1.

Quantaga
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Build small sugar mill.

On to the Gov.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Seems like there's not much point to building a large production facility now, hmm? Also, my understanding is that I don't get the quarry bonus yet since the Quarry is not currently occupied.

I'll build a small indigo plant for 1 doubloon.

On to Newcastle.
Black Lives Matter.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Buy 1 tobacco storage for 5 doubloons
(i think i have enough 4 to start; +1 from prospector)
Bayraktar!!!!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

For my turn,

I mayor for 1 colonist + 1 colonist

I place one colonist on my Indigo Plant and one on my Indigo Plantation.

Every one must place their one colonist before colonists refill the ship and it is qantaga's turn.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

El Guapo wrote:Seems like there's not much point to building a large production facility now, hmm? Also, my understanding is that I don't get the quarry bonus yet since the Quarry is not currently occupied.

On to Newcastle.
here's the reason to buy large early: after everyone places their colonists, the colony ship refills with a min of one per player, or for all empty building slots. So if you wanted to Mayor first (newc would have option this next round) you leave 'em empty to get extra colonists (if boat has 6, in a five player, the first guy gets 3 where the others get only 1). This is also why we go in order to place, so we can see what's the option.
"Where are you off to?"

Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Assign colonist to sugar plantation.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Assign colonist to quarry.

This is where we pretend that we're bringing "colonists" to work on our Caribbean islands, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

ASSIGN COLONIST TO Tobacco plantation (not house..not the thing up top)
Last edited by Newcastle on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaosraven wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Seems like there's not much point to building a large production facility now, hmm? Also, my understanding is that I don't get the quarry bonus yet since the Quarry is not currently occupied.

On to Newcastle.
here's the reason to buy large early: after everyone places their colonists, the colony ship refills with a min of one per player, or for all empty building slots. So if you wanted to Mayor first (newc would have option this next round) you leave 'em empty to get extra colonists (if boat has 6, in a five player, the first guy gets 3 where the others get only 1). This is also why we go in order to place, so we can see what's the option.
Thanks. But aside from the extra colonist thing, I'm probably not going to be able to make actual use of the extra capacity for some time. If I later buy a large indigo plant, can I build it over my small one, or does it permanently take space on my city / island?
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:Thanks. But aside from the extra colonist thing, I'm probably not going to be able to make actual use of the extra capacity for some time. If I later buy a large indigo plant, can I build it over my small one, or does it permanently take space on my city / island?
It is permanent. When buying large capacity versus small capacity you should be thinking about the kind of game you are going to try to run.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Five left empty, yes?
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Assign to sugar plantation, leaving six open.
"Where are you off to?"