Werewolf - scanning theory

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

El Guapo

Werewolf - scanning theory

Post by El Guapo »

So, I've never been assigned a pure scanner role in a werewolf game, but odds are I'll wind up with it sooner or later, so I just wanted to ask a bit about what people think is the best way to approach it. Seems like the main possible approaches I can think of are: scan quiet people first (because it's otherwise very hard to know whether they are good or evil), or scan people who are known as good players first (because then you know whether or not you can trust their recommendations, and possibly take out any evil ones before they cause too much harm). Are those the main theories? Any others? General thoughts / preferences?

One other thing I wonder is: suppose you hit a wolf on your first scan. Do you come out and say that? On the one hand, it shortens your lifespan considerably, and *odds are* that you won't get whacked immediately. On the other, netting a wolf is a big deal, and you're tossing away a sure hit for the village if you do wind up getting whacked before you talk.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Re: Werewolf - scanning theory

Post by Lassr »

not sure there is a right or wrong answer but I often start by scanning players that often live a while in these games. Theory is if they are not a wolf then at least I have provens still alive in the end game.

I did this once very successfully, I had 4 scans that were alive and human, I came out, got one more night scan of another human I think so it pretty much eliminated any hiding spot for the wolves.

I most likely would not come out on day 1 with a wolf if I caught one. If we were playing a game with 2 wolves though I might consider it.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

My theory is pretty similar to Lassr's. I like to scan those that tend to stay a long time and are probably more on the quiet side. People who blab constantly, like myself, I don't often bother with. The game seems to sort those people out one way or the other over time. Those that are totally silent, like Tru1cy, I also don't really concern myself with. They tend to buy it after players start getting irritated.

Unless there is a small pool of players, I tend to not out my info on day one. Even if I have a wolf. It is much more interesting to see what the wolf is saying and maybe use that to glean a little more information. Such as when Grund tried to confirm Theo's spoof in the JLA game. Would have worked out pretty well if I hadn't already scanned Theo.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

This is great info for those of us just getting started in the werewolf games. Thanks, guys!
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I have always liked the idea of scanning those who will be alive later. Scanning the guy who gets lynched/dies day1/night2 does no good in the long run. You can not control those who get killed but you can take some pretty educated guesses that direction.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Whom to scan

I would agree that longevity is the key. Learning by scan something that would be learned anyhow in the first two or three rounds is nowhere near as useful as learning by scan something that will prove essential as the endgame draws close.

Scanning players who would be worrisome if evil is useful, but not as useful as scanning those with long lives. If the game has more than one scanner, then it starts to make sense to spread the scans around a bit (though that's iffy without coordination).

When to reveal

The ideal after finding a wolf on the first scan would be to contrive that person's death without revealing or making obvious one's status as scanner.

If the Scanner thinks he'll survive for a few days, then holding onto that info even if somebody else is lynched on the first day is probably wise. After all, the other person lynched may well be another wolf!

The tipping point comes when the information learned (some combo of wolves and innocents) is high and the chance of surviving is low. Don't want to die without revealing that lore. The tipping point is different for every game, since it's partly a function of how people are playing and whom they're suspecting.

Gambits

One of the most powerful gambits an innocent normal can undertake is to emulate his own team's Seer. This seldom occurs, however, because the real Seer cannot be trusted to recognize the play for what it is and may step forward to contradict his colleague. When the Seer happens to trust the emulator (perhaps by dint of having scanned him), then the combination can be extremely confusing for Team Evil.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I like to scan the same person over and over. You never know if the mod is messing with you and he might slip up and tell you the truth on the 4th try.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Grundbegriff wrote: Gambits

One of the most powerful gambits an innocent normal can undertake is to emulate his own team's Seer. This seldom occurs, however, because the real Seer cannot be trusted to recognize the play for what it is and may step forward to contradict his colleague. When the Seer happens to trust the emulator (perhaps by dint of having scanned him), then the combination can be extremely confusing for Team Evil.
I've always wanted to try this, but I think it would probably blow up in my face. But it is tempting... Very tempting... :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Austin wrote:I like to scan the same person over and over. You never know if the mod is messing with you and he might slip up and tell you the truth on the 4th try.
:lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

bb2112 wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote: Gambits

I've always wanted to try this, but I think it would probably blow up in my face. But it is tempting... Very tempting... :D
There's a fine line between trying something that you think might be fun and ruining the fun of all the other players. I've considered a few ridiculous actions but was afraid of blowing up the game for the innocent villagers who actually think winning matters... oops did I say that?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

Grundbegriff wrote: When the Seer happens to trust the emulator (perhaps by dint of having scanned him), then the combination can be extremely confusing for Team Evil.
In PM games this can work very well. Ask Lassr. Oh wait. . .
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Anyone remember when Scoop pretended to be our protector, our real protector countered him, our shooter shot him then, because Scoop died good we lynched the real protector?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:Anyone remember when Scoop pretended to be our protector, our real protector countered him, our shooter shot him then, because Scoop died good we lynched the real protector?
Oh, that is hilarious! I'm not sure if it makes me want to try it more, or less. :lol:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:Anyone remember when Scoop pretended to be our protector, our real protector countered him, our shooter shot him then, because Scoop died good we lynched the real protector?
That seems like the most probable outcome of that kind of spoof, absent PMs.

Interesting info from everyone on scanning - very helpful! This, of course, guarantees that I'll never be assigned a scanner role.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Was that the Hymie debacle in the Get Smart cruise ship game?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Yep. A game where, once again, I got played in the end and voted for the wrong guy causing my side to lose. :(
Congrats on a well played game that round. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Yep. A game where, once again, I got played in the end and voted for the wrong guy causing my side to lose. :(
And I had already handed you two bad guys! And didn't scan Grund because we never let him live to the end. Until you did. :P
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

bb2112 wrote:
Austin wrote:I like to scan the same person over and over. You never know if the mod is messing with you and he might slip up and tell you the truth on the 4th try.
:lol:
Someone actually did this. Well, not 4 times, but a second time anyway. I can't remember the circumstances though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
And I had already handed you two bad guys! And didn't scan Grund because we never let him live to the end. Until you did. :P
I still blame RevHempus for his "I am 100% certain Newcastle and Remus are innocent." "Oh, sure, I'll vote Newcastle." moment.

:oops:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I believe there was a partner game where I put the kill vote, or close to it, on my own innocent partner.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I hope we'll all get the chance to try Werewolf in person one of these days. Won't be the same, but it'll be interesting!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I hope we'll all get the chance to try Werewolf in person one of these days. Won't be the same, but it'll be interesting!
*cough* Octocon, make it there and we'll make WW happen *cough*
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:*cough* Octocon, make it there and we'll make WW happen *cough*
I'm certainly not showing up while you have that nasty cough. Might be resistant tuberculosis!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:*cough* Octocon, make it there and we'll make WW happen *cough*
I'm certainly not showing up while you have that nasty cough. Might be resistant tuberculosis!
More likely resistent tuberculosis, but either way it's bad news.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Are you trying and failing to correct my spelling?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Are you traeing and fayling too caurrect mae speeling?
That's better.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Austin wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote: When the Seer happens to trust the emulator (perhaps by dint of having scanned him), then the combination can be extremely confusing for Team Evil.
In PM games this can work very well. Ask Lassr. Oh wait. . .
:x
I still keep this image around as a reminder to never trust you.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

In Africa, I am immune to Imageshack.

I wonder if Skype WW is possible.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I consider it translating for the target of the quote.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
I consider it translating for the target of the quote.
I'm lost. But it comes across as if you're mocking Remus West, and that can't be bad.
purge

Post by purge »

Some more advice... if you ever decide to self-vote ... make sure you're not at N-1 FIRST.

:oops:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:One other thing I wonder is: suppose you hit a wolf on your first scan. Do you come out and say that? On the one hand, it shortens your lifespan considerably, and *odds are* that you won't get whacked immediately. On the other, netting a wolf is a big deal, and you're tossing away a sure hit for the village if you do wind up getting whacked before you talk.
I don't play often and barring discussing the current game, I've never been a scanner but I think this is more interesting question. I don't know when to come forward. I'd imagine part of it would depend on the amount of players. One wolf out of two at one scan is excellent in a 9 nine player game. Maybe not so much in 15 player game with potentially four wolves and more trickery. On the other hand one wolf and three living peasants after four scans in a 15 players might be enough to go on.

Asking the scanner to scan those that seem like they are most likely to be around makes the most sense to me. Mainly because if forces the wolves to also go after those most likely to be around and should help tip the wolven hand.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:I'm lost. But it comes across as if you're mocking Remus West, and that can't be bad.
Yes. I'm surprised his spelling foibles have passed by your notice.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:I'm lost. But it comes across as if you're mocking Remus West, and that can't be bad.
I'm a forgiving sort.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:
I'm a forgiving sort.
I hope not to forgiving.
purge

Post by purge »

theohall wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:
I'm a forgiving sort.
I hope not to forgiving.

If that ain't bait, I don't know what is. :P
Austin

Post by Austin »

purge wrote:
theohall wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:
I'm a forgiving sort.
I hope not to forgiving.

If that ain't bait, I don't know what is. :P
I lead the way!