WW power thread (repository)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Newcastle

WW power thread (repository)

Post by Newcastle »

So I was thinking about the various powers and roles that we usually have in WW games, but i dont think we have anything centralized. This thread is going to be dedicated to centralizing that information. The basic goal will be to give folks who are contemplating a WW game and want to spice up their game with some roles somewhere to go to for that type of information.

I'm going to go through the various games we've had and add the various roles that i've seen that are unique. Might be a bit of mess initially. But the goal will be the same...a repository of information on WW roles for those planning a game. Feel free to add anything I might have missed.

Star Wars link (Empire)
http://new.octopusoverlords.com/forum/v ... 16&t=81807" target="_blank

Walk in the woods:
http://new.octopusoverlords.com/forum/v ... 16&t=77547" target="_blank
POSSIBLE EVIL POWERS

Alpha Wolf – His lycanthropy is contagious. If someone survives being bitten by him they will become a werewolf themselves the following night. Fortunately, or not depending upon your point of view, after that first taste he will not be able to keep himself from consuming his prey so will only be able to convert a single player.
Berserker Wolf – His lupine fury is barely contained in the best of times. Under threat of death he will lose control and transform into his wolf form attacking and killing a player of his choice.
Beta Wolf – He still seeks a cure for his condition and thus inspects the dead to what clues they may offer as to why he attacked them. He may select one dead player each night to “scan”. His scan will reveal the player’s true role.
Gamma Wolf – Something tugs at his mind. He knows there is a presence out there just beyond his sight. Each night he searches for the source of that presence by scanning a player. If he scans the Sorcerer the Sorcerer will be given access to the wolf forum. If he scans the Seer the Seer will learn the identity of the Gamma wolf in place of his own scan. His scan will show only Sorcerer or Not Sorcerer.
Sorcerer – Evil Human. He thinks he can control the lycanthropic fury around him and thus increase his own power. In order to protect what he views as his future power he searches for those that would oppose it. Each night he may scan one player. The results of his scan will show only Seer or Not Seer.
Witch – Evil Human. Works with the werewolves to negate opposition. She begins with access to the wolf forum. Each night she may target a player to negate their special ability through the use of her magic. If the player has a special ability that they would use in any manner during the night then they will know they have been targeted by her. She may not target the same player twice during the game.

POSSIBLE GOOD POWERS

Seer – sensing the lupine presence the seer seeks to uncover the identity of the wolves. Each night he may scan one player. The results of his scan will show Human or Not Human.
Hunter – Has spent many years trapping and killing animals on his own in the wild. Each night he will set himself up to protect one of the villagers from any attack. He may also use his weapons to kill a single player during the day. If he uses his day power his identity will be revealed. He may not protect the same player two nights in a row. If he has used his day shot he will no longer be able to protect himself as the wolves will know to prepare for his tricks before attacking him.
Warrior – Just returned from war he just wants to be left in peace. Failing that he is determined to make those who disrupt it pay. If he is lynched he may choose a target to kill before he dies.
Masons – These “brothers” have been in their secret society long enough that they have seen each other during the full moons and know each of them is not a wolf. They will have their own secret location in which they can meet each night to discuss the situation. They may not use the location during the day for fear of revealing it. The number of masons will be based off the number of times the power is selected (t+1) being the final count.
Medium – She has an intricate knowledge of the “lives” of the dead. Once per game she may hold a public séance to receive a message from the beyond. This séance reveals her identity and allows a single dead player of her choice to make one post into the game thread.
Undertaker – In his role of corpse disposal he learns more than most people imagine. Once per night the Undertaker may scan a dead player and thus learn the true role of that player.
Psychic – His mental powers allow him to sense power in others. He will begin the game knowing which powers are in play – good and evil.
Coward – his first thoughts are for himself. He knows where to hide in the worst of times. These are the worst of times. He will survive the first time he is targeted at night but in doing so his hiding place will be revealed and he will no longer be safe at night. He will not know if he was targeted or not.
Guardian – He values the sanctity of life and thus spends his nights ensuring the safety of others. Each night he may protect a single player from attack. He may not protect himself nor may he protect the same player two nights in a row. This power will not be used if there is a Hunter.
Trapper – He has spent his life collecting pelts. He wouldn’t mind adding more. Once per game he may trap a player – killing them in the night. This will not reveal his identity. His attack will be blocked by the Hunter or Guardian.
Mentalist – His ability to speak to others minds unnerves some so he has kept it hidden. Facing this current evil he cannot afford to do this any longer. Each night he may contact a different player initiating PM contact with them for the duration of the night. All PMs MUST include the moderator so that I can archive them in the spoiler forum.
Mayor – Use to the ebb and flow of politics he can sway the crowd without them even being aware of it. Each day he may cast an extra vote with the moderator through PM. Due to the fickle nature of the public he may not change this vote once it has been cast each day.
Last edited by Newcastle on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Newcastle

Re: WW power thread (repository)

Post by Newcastle »

reserved 1
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

reserved 2
Bayraktar!!!!

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

FYI - When designing the SW game, I had to go back through a lot of old roles in games. Lassr's BSG, and Remus's Walk in the Woods games were big helps.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

bb2112 wrote:FYI - When designing the SW game, I had to go back through a lot of old roles in games. Lassr's BSG, and Remus's Walk in the Woods games were big helps.
Yeah i remember those and was going to steal from those along w/ your SW games. Figured i'd centralize that info since there were a lot of juicy roles.
Bayraktar!!!!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=78935" target="_blank

every role I have created for BSG to date.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Is there a post or site with the rules and etiquette WW?

I'd love to join in, but I don't want to be a doofus and make a mistake right away.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote:Is there a post or site with the rules and etiquette WW?

I'd love to join in, but I don't want to be a doofus and make a mistake right away.
Feel free to join and make as many mistakes as you can. We all do. Only "forum" standard that you may need to know is the voting tags which are "accuse" "/accuse" in brackets rather than quotes which will underline your vote in red.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Yeah, new players are always welcome and with open arms. My gosh, don't worry about screwing stuff up--I of all people can tell you that pulling a total brain fart can happen to anyone, regardless of how long they've been playing.

Read a few of the game threads (which can be very entertaining) and feel free to jump in on the game of your choice the next time we have one starting!
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Holman wrote:Is there a post or site with the rules and etiquette WW?

Just jump into it. The worst thing that can happen is you get eaten by wolves. Or, er, hung. Um. Oh dear.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I just ran a Live WW game here at my Family Reunion, 2 wolves, Seer, Old Hag (exiles a player for the day, no interaction from them).

Werewolves won the first game and everyone wants to play again after dinner.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Chaosraven wrote:I just ran a Live WW game here at my Family Reunion, 2 wolves, Seer, Old Hag (exiles a player for the day, no interaction from them).

How do you go about it when you do it live? I've thought about doing it too, but I can't figure out a good way to resolve night activity (wolves group and discuss whom to kill, seers etc). Do you go into separate rooms or what?
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:I just ran a Live WW game here at my Family Reunion, 2 wolves, Seer, Old Hag (exiles a player for the day, no interaction from them).

How do you go about it when you do it live? I've thought about doing it too, but I can't figure out a good way to resolve night activity (wolves group and discuss whom to kill, seers etc). Do you go into separate rooms or what?
What I do is have everyone put their heads down and tap the table (to cover motion by their neighbors), I call for any roles in the game (dead or not) to look up and make their decision. Wolves decide by giving questioning looks to each other as they point, then all nodding as they point to same victim. The Seer points, and I give a V sign for Villager or Fangs in front of my mouth for Wolves. As far as voting I use the Nominate, Second, and then a Count of three for Thumbs up or Thumbs down.

In Live Werewolf there is no actual Nighttime Discussion (or behind the scenes forum activity, etc). It's quick and brutal and chaotic.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

For example in the game I just ran, I also announced "If my hand is on your neck, you are (exiled by Hag)/(eaten by Wolves)", even after the Hag was eaten.
"Where are you off to?"

theohall

Post by theohall »

Lagom Lite wrote:

LL - This describes how "Mafia" is played live. It is the same as Werewolf. Mafia = wolves. Detective = Seer. I have seen this played several different ways, but this is one of the simplest descriptions.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Chaosraven wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote:

What I do is have everyone put their heads down and tap the table (to cover motion by their neighbors), I call for any roles in the game (dead or not) to look up and make their decision. Wolves decide by giving questioning looks to each other as they point, then all nodding as they point to same victim. The Seer points, and I give a V sign for Villager or Fangs in front of my mouth for Wolves. As far as voting I use the Nominate, Second, and then a Count of three for Thumbs up or Thumbs down.

In Live Werewolf there is no actual Nighttime Discussion (or behind the scenes forum activity, etc). It's quick and brutal and chaotic.
Thanks! That's very helpful. Now to find test victims. :twisted:
Is there anyone in hell?

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Chaosraven wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote:

Thanks! That's very helpful. Now to find test victims. :twisted:
Easiest thing to do is take a set of index cards, write down roles, and deal them out. If you want death to reveal role, have them flip the card face up, if not, only flip it up if they are a dead wolf (thereby making any other result "villager" regardless of role). You can take any of the roles found on any website and try them out.

For a basic 9, use 1 seer, 2 wolves, and 1 extra neat villager role. Start with Day One. With 10 you can start at Night.

You can do the voting however you wish, secret ballot, the 1-2-3 thumbs I described, or get 2 nominees and whichever one has most votes gets lynched.
"Where are you off to?"

bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

NC, How is the research coming? :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

bb2112 wrote:NC, How is the research coming? :D
it goes, am tempted to start a new one since it's been hijacked by newbie questions :D ...otherwise all speed ahead ...*cough*

edit: smiley added to bona fide the "its all good"
Last edited by Newcastle on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:
it goes, am tempted to start a new one since it's been hijacked by newbie questions...otherwise all speed ahead ...*cough*
It is not awaiting me but rather one of your own. Pester him. Also, I'm in Colorado. :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Remus West wrote:
Newcastle wrote:
it goes, am tempted to start a new one since it's been hijacked by newbie questions...otherwise all speed ahead ...*cough*
It is not awaiting me but rather one of your own. Pester him. Also, I'm in Colorado. :P
but he didnt do the impression of rip van winkle now did he?
Bayraktar!!!!