Othello, The Moor of Venice (GAME OVER!)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Grundbegriff

Othello, The Moor of Venice (GAME OVER!)

Post by Grundbegriff »

The Good Team

Othello, a noble Moor in the service of the Venetian State.
Othello wrote:"Villain, be sure thou prove my love a whore,
Be sure of it; give me the ocular proof:
Or by the worth of man's eternal soul,
Thou hadst been better have been born a dog
Than answer my waked wrath!"
Othello, adventurer and general, is a great leader of men but a poor judge of character. For this reason, among others, Othello is easily duped despite his insistence on rigorous proof. Always ready to detect and condemn misdeeds, Othello scans nightly in search of malefactors. He will learn whether his target is "friend" or "foe", but Iago will look like a "friend" to him. If Emilia finds the handkerchief and thereby changes alignment, then Desdemona will also look like a "foe" if Othello scans her. Cassio will look like a "foe" unless Cassio has successfully protected someone.

Desdemona, daughter to Brabantio and wife to Othello.
Desdemona wrote:"I cannot say 'whore':
It doth abhor me now I speak the word;
To do the act that might the addition earn
Not the world's mass of vanity could make me."
Desdemona has no power to affect fate, whether her own or any other's, and yet the world of this game revolves around her. She has lost her handkerchief. If her handmaiden Emilia finds it, Emilia will leave her side and join her husband on Team Evil. If Emilia finds the handkerchief and thereby changes alignment, then Desdemona will also look like a "foe" if Othello scans her. And if Desdemona is slain by day, Othello (if alive) will automatically die with her.

Cassio, Othello's lieutenant
Cassio wrote:"I have drunk but one cup tonight, and that was craftily qualified too, and behold what innovation it makes here: I am unfortunate in the infirmity, and dare not task my weakness with any more."
This Florentine, "a person and a smooth dispose to be suspected, framed to make women false", is charismatic, efficient, and loyal. However, he has a weakness for strong drink which, to his misfortune, makes him look bad when he is, in fact, good. So he's eager to restore his reputation. Each night, Cassio may protect one player (himself or another), but he may not protect the same player twice in a row. If Othello scans him on or anytime after a night when Cassio has successfully protected another player from an attack, Othello will detect that Cassio is a "friend"; otherwise, Cassio will look like a "foe" if Othello scans him.

Emilia, wife to Iago and handmaiden to Desdemona
Emilia wrote:"I am glad I have found this napkin:
This was her first remembrance from the Moor:
My wayward husband hath a hundred times
Woo'd me to steal it.... what he will do with it
Heaven knows, not I;
I nothing but to please his fantasy."
Emilia is devoted to Desdemona, but Iago has badgered her to acquire Desdemona's handkerchief and she longs for Iago's approval. Emilia is unwilling to steal the keepsake, but if her lady should happen to drop it and she to discover it.... Each night, Emilia scans a previously unsearched player, living or dead, to find out whether that person unwittingly possesses the handkerchief. If Emilia finds the handkerchief, she will take it and will leave Team Good to join Team Evil, receiving thenceforth all the rights and privileges thereunto pertaining.

Miscellanous Venetians
As many as it takes to give the specials proper cover.

The Evil Team

Iago, Othello's ensign.
Iago wrote:"In following him, I follow but myself;
Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty,
But seeming so, for my peculiar end:
For when my outward action doth demonstrates
The native act and figure of my heart
In compliment extern, 't is not long after
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am."
Iago, indignant that Othello promoted Michael Cassio to the rank of lieutenant but left Iago a mere ensign, has sworn that he will avenge this slight by dealing them an unforgettable comeuppance. If killed by day, Iago will have the option to slay someone with his dagger.

Roderigo, a Venetian gentleman
Roderigo wrote:"My money is almost spent;
I have been to-night exceedingly well cudgelled;
and I think the issue will be, I shall have so much experience for my pains,
and so, with no money at all and a little more wit,
return again to Venice."
Roderigo is infatuated with Desdemona, and despite her recent marriage, Iago has promised to win her for Roderigo. In exchange for this support, Roderigo sustains Iago's machinations by providing money and performing gruntwork. As long as Iago is alive, Roderigo has the ability to skulk around the Cypriot sea port at night on Iago's behalf. During this nocturnal activity, Roderigo may select one of the lodgings allocated to the Venetian visitors and figure out whether or not it is inhabited by "a Venetian gentleman" such as himself. If it is not, then he may safely infer that the inhabitant is either Othello or Desdemona or Cassio or Emilia.

Possible additional members:

Emilia, wife to Iago and handmaiden to Desdemona

Each night, Emilia scans a previously unsearched player, living or dead, to find out whether that person unwittingly possesses the handkerchief. If Emilia finds the handkerchief, she will take it and will leave Team Good to join Team Evil, receiving thenceforth all the rights and privileges thereunto pertaining. She will retain her ability to scan for the handkerchief.

Miscellaneous rules for Team Evil

As long as he lives, Iago may (in consultation with his teammates) select a victim to slay at night. If alive, Roderigo will do the dirty work. If Iago dies, Roderigo will both select and dispatch the victim.

If ever Emilia is the sole surviving member of Team Evil, she will select and dispatch victims by night just as her husband, Iago, would have wanted her to do. However, if she ever selects Desdemona as a victim, Emilia kills herself rather than harm her lady.

If the game has no Bianca:
The handkerchief will be randomly given, at the game's outset, to one player other than Iago, Roderigo, and Emilia. It will stay with this person, and this person will know that he possessed it and misplaced it. If Emilia finds it, she will take it and convert. The one from whom she takes it will not learn that it has been stolen. If the one who possessed the handkerchief is lynched by day, then Emilia may still find the misplaced hanky sometime afterward.

The Sequence

Each Day, the following events take place:
  • Venetians gathered in the colony of Cyprus select one person to execute. Then they furnish themselves with some swift means of death for the poor devil.
  • If Desdemona is selected for death and is executed, Othello, if living, dies with her.
Each Night, the following events take place (if possible):
  • Cassio selects somebody to protect.
  • Team Evil (Iago, Roderigo, possibly Emilia) kills someone.
  • Roderigo scans for Venetian Gentlemen.
  • Emilia scans for the handkerchief
  • Othello scans for friend or foe.
Remember: Othello's judgment of character is faulty:

If he scans person P and P is on his team, he will be told that P is "friend" unless
* P is Cassio and Cassio has not previously saved someone
* P is Desdemona, and Emilia has found the handkerchief
If he scans person Q and Q is on Team Evil, he will be told that Q is "foe" unless
* Q is Iago

Please note slight rule modifications marked in red.
  • Othello
  • Desdemona
  • Cassio
  • Emilia
  • Iago
  • Roderigo
  • Venetian Gentleman
  • Venetian Gentleman
  • Venetian Gentleman
  • Venetian Gentleman
  • Venetian Gentleman
  • Venetian Gentleman
  1. bb2112
  2. Chaosraven
  3. Holman
  4. Lagom Lite
  5. Lassr
  6. Newcastle
  7. Qantaga
  8. Remus West
  9. RMC
  10. stessier
  11. theohall
  12. triggercut
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grundbegriff

Re: Othello, The Moor of Venice (GAME ON!)

Post by Grundbegriff »

Roles have been distributed. It is night.

I follow him to serve my turn upon him. We cannot all be masters, nor all masters cannot be truly follow'd.

You shall mark many a duteous and knee-crooking knave, that, doting on his own obsequious bondage, wears out his time, much like his master's ass, for nought but provender, and when he's old, cashier'd.

Whip me such honest knaves.

Others there are who, trimm'd in forms and visages of duty, keep yet their hearts attending on themselves, and, throwing but shows of service on their lords, do well thrive by them and when they have lined their coats do themselves homage.

These fellows have some soul, And such a one do I profess myself.
Boilerplate:
Cassio: Whom will you protect?
Team Evil: Whom will you slay?
Roderigo: Around whose house will you skulk?
Emilia: Whose belongings will you search for the handkerchief?
Othello: Whose honesty will you assess?
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Checking in. :csmile:
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:coffee:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Reading the rulez, checking in.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Hey wouldn't it be fun if we had to talk like the post above during the entire game!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

triggercut wrote:Reading the rulez, checking in.
Othello looks to be the weakest seer ever born!

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lassr wrote:Hey wouldn't it be fun if we had to talk like the post above during the entire game!
Hey there, Othello! Why don't you come over here and sit for a spell and tell us a good yarn over a mug of sweet tea about that there wench?

How'd I do?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote:
Lassr wrote:Hey wouldn't it be fun if we had to talk like the post above during the entire game!
Hey there, Othello! Why don't you come over here and sit for a spell and tell us a good yarn over a mug of sweet tea about that there wench?

How'd I do?
I actually understood you so you did poorly.

Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If the goal is to make it incomprehensible I shall merely PM my intended post to LM, have him translate it into his own words, then post the results here.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:If the goal is to make it incomprehensible I shall merely PM my intended post to LM, have him translate it into his own words, then post the results here.
Cut out the middleman and just roll your forehead across the keyboard.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
theohall

Post by theohall »

Lassr wrote:
stessier wrote:

How'd I do?
In what bedeviled tongue are these knaves orating?
stessier

Post by stessier »

theohall wrote:
Lassr wrote:
stessier wrote:

How'd I do?
In what bedeviled tongue are these knaves orating?

The devil resides in Georgia. Everyone knows God lives across the border in Tuscaloosa. (But that his smile and grace all ends up in South Bend.)
RMC

Post by RMC »

When can we vote for Remus west? :)

Checking in, forsooth!

Or is it Forsooth I am checking in!

Or am I using forsooth wrong? I don't care if I am.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

RMC wrote:When can we vote for Remus west? :)
When you are ready to move Iago's team one step closer to victory.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber’d here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to ‘scape the serpent’s tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Oh, and beware:

The house is swarming with zombies. We could be overwhelmed at any time. Lassr ate a snack.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Here

Just let me know when I can commit suicide by voting for RW.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Qantaga wrote:If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber’d here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to ‘scape the serpent’s tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
Methinks you have perused the wrong tome. Neither Titania nor Oberon, or their meager servant Puck, seem to appear in the cast of Ladies and Gentleman amongst us.
theohall

Post by theohall »

If we offend, it is with our good will.
That you should think, we come not to offend,
But with good will. To show our simple skill,
That is the true beginning of our end.
Consider then, we come but in despite.
We do not come, as minding to content you,
Our true intent is. All for your delight
We are not here. That you should here repent you,
The actors are at hand; and, by their show,
You shall know all, that you are like to know.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

theohall wrote:Methinks you have perused the wrong tome. Neither Titania nor Oberon, or their meager servant Puck, seem to appear in the cast of Ladies and Gentleman amongst us.

Quite true, good sir.

Choosing from this current tome might lead certain vagabonds (like those who focus on trivialities such as "is/was") to read unintended meaning into my night-time musings.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

He said "is" and "was"!!!!!!!!!! Get him!!!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Qantaga wrote:Oh, and beware:

The house is swarming with zombies. We could be overwhelmed at any time. Lassr ate a snack.

Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

hark, tis all of thee merry beyonder a wilding spur of hope travail thus through a morrow of sensical of nonsense.

avengest thee to make sense of thus which shall sense not be made therefor of.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pentameterers!

(Checking in)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Chaosraven has not checked in. Are we waiting on him?

Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

[Note: all flavor text, though adapted from the play, is randomized in usage and contains neither hints nor correlations to the characters and connivance of the actual game now underway. Enjoy, but draw no inferences.]

"He sups to-night with a harlotry, and thither will I go to him: he knows not yet of his horrorable fortune. If you will watch his going thence, which I will fashion to fall out between twelve and one, you may take him at your pleasure: I will be near to second your attempt, and he shall fall between us. Come, stand not amazed at it, but go along with me; I will show you such a necessity in his death that you shall think yourself bound to put it on him."
It is Monday morning. You arise, venture forth, and find that the body of Lagom Lite lies shattered in Famagusta's public square.

What will you do to redress this wrong?
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Alas, poor Lagom! I knew him; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Who wouldst commit such evil upon him?

That, dear gentles, is the question.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I guess we were not waiting on Chaosraven...

Black Lives Matter
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Lassr wrote:I guess we were not waiting on Chaosraven...
I make no assumption, dear Lassr, and beseech thee to furnish no conclusions. Yon great chorus of Grundbegriff hath begun the next verse in full knowledge; hearken to join our song.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

hark doth i see the being that once was lagom dead before me. oh woe is me oh woes say i...doth i take this as a sign that the fates conspire against all that is good and bright...why oh must I ask..why must lagom perish as such.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Doth tis something and something else...Why Lagom?

<shrug>
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Grundbegriff wrote:
"He sups to-night with a harlotry, and thither will I go to him: he knows not yet of his horrorable fortune. If you will watch his going thence, which I will fashion to fall out between twelve and one, you may take him at your pleasure: I will be near to second your attempt, and he shall fall between us. Come, stand not amazed at it, but go along with me; I will show you such a necessity in his death that you shall think yourself bound to put it on him."
Grund, thanks for the hint. Reading between the lines here, it is clear that the guilty party is Chaosraven. So...

Chaosraven 

That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

:binky: :tjg: :binky:
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

bb2112 wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Grund, thanks for the hint. Reading between the lines here, it is clear that the guilty party is Chaosraven. So...

Chaosraven 

God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.

Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

No, two face was in the JLA game. I'm just a simple Venetian that can see patterns in raving chaos.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Something foul herein lies.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry, had Mexican for lunch.
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Confusion now hath made his masterpiece.
Most sacrilegious murder hath broke ope
The Lord’s anointed temple, and stole thence
The life o' th' building!"
- Macduff

This is my first forum game, and I don't want to mess it up.

I know who I am, but I don't believe I'm supposed to give it away, right? And now we decide who dies?

(Of course it is possible that I'm merely playing dumb.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.