Othello, The Moor of Venice (GAME OVER!)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

stessier

Re: Othello, The Moor of Venice (GAME ON!)

Post by stessier »

I had to protect trig. If he died, I would be the next day's lynch.
stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:I need to think on it a bit. Not like people are going to hurry up and play if it suddenly flipped to day anyway. :)
These are the waning days of OO werewolf. ;)
Very possible.

And if that's the case, let's go out with a bang.

Self protect. In so doing, I either win or lose the game on my own without having to worry about how those dirty peasant actually vote. :D

Actually, I never read the story. Am I some form of nobility? Probably should check into that...

Edit: Wikipedia says I eventually become Governor after Othello commits suicide - which seems just for thinking I am a bad guy. Cool.
I didn't actually win the game - that was trig. He didn't miss with a single scan. Had he only found friends, we still would have been stuck. But I hoped if I guessed right on that protection, he'd get enough scans to find at least one foe we could triangulate as actually bad.

It was so cool to get back the message that the self protect worked! :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RMC

Post by RMC »

stessier wrote:I had to protect trig. If he died, I would be the next day's lynch.
stessier wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
stessier wrote:I need to think on it a bit. Not like people are going to hurry up and play if it suddenly flipped to day anyway. :)
These are the waning days of OO werewolf. ;)
Very possible.

And if that's the case, let's go out with a bang.

Self protect. In so doing, I either win or lose the game on my own without having to worry about how those dirty peasant actually vote. :D

Actually, I never read the story. Am I some form of nobility? Probably should check into that...

Edit: Wikipedia says I eventually become Governor after Othello commits suicide - which seems just for thinking I am a bad guy. Cool.
I didn't actually win the game - that was trig. He didn't miss with a single scan. Had he only found friends, we still would have been stuck. But I hoped if I guessed right on that protection, he'd get enough scans to find at least one foe we could triangulate as actually bad.

It was so cool to get back the message that the self protect worked! :D
Bah Humbug.

:)

We would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you kids and that pesky dog!
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Pretty obviously I was in a tizzy about how the heck I was supposed to be of any use at all as a scanner. Even before I revealed my role, I was experiencing no small amount of angst about what good Othello could be.

Part of that was a mis-read of the roles on my part. My assumption: Othello would read Rodrigo as a foe only on team badguy, and would read Cassio and Desdemona both as foes. It wasn't until day 3 that I realized that Des would scan as good to me unless Emilia had been converted.

So that helped.

I scanned stess on Night 1. Came back foe. I had no idea what to do with that information, because essentially I'd either be revealing Rodrigo or giving up our protector. Decided to wait to see how things played out. I was hoping to get stessier to N-1 to see if he claimed some other role besides Cassio, but that didn't happen. My other weak hope was that we'd get a successful protection and I could re-scan him. That also didn't happen.

On day 2 I had a "Friend" scan of Lassr in hand. No idea what to do with that, either. Stessier pinged my radar after qantaga was the Night 2 target. I decided to come out to see if someone would counterclaim Cassio on stess. Didn't happen.

What did happen was bb2112 getting hung the day after Remus got hung. Go back and re-read. Neither Remus or bb were particularly active players. Both came up as unpowered goodguys. That was interesting to me. I knew that I had mis-read and misinterpreted the rules/roles plenty already in the game. It's an interesting, fascinating set of rules, but for this first time out I had to think I wasn't the only one making misapprehensions and misunderstanding things. What I surmised was that unpowered villagers were going to post very lightly in the game as a result of this. Thus I put down theohall and Chaosraven as likely goodguys. I wasn't sure what to make of Holman, but I was leaning villager on him too.

That narrowed my scans for day 3 in a big way: I'd already scanned stessier and Lassr, newc had come out as Des, and I'd moved theo, CR, and Holman to a high probability in my mind of being unpowered goodguys. That left....RMC.

When it got to the final day, I was initially buying into maybe CR or Lassr. When theo revealed he'd had the handkerchief, it was only logical then that Q was indeed Emilia, and it reinforce to me that my guess about the light participation of theo and CR were correct. That's why I was heavily into Lassr. If he'd come back goodguy, I'd have suggested VERY strongly--before likely getting the knife in the night--that Holman should be our last, best guess.

Great game, and fascinating ruleset. It revealed a lot of subtlety to the play as things wore on.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

In retrospect, one thing that would have been AWESOME to watch would have been if Lassr countered newcastle's claim of being Desdemona.

Don't know if it would've worked, but we'd have tied ourselves in knots trying to sort out who should hang.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

triggercut wrote:In retrospect, one thing that would have been AWESOME to watch would have been if Lassr countered newcastle's claim of being Desdemona.

Don't know if it would've worked, but we'd have tied ourselves in knots trying to sort out who should hang.
It wouldn't have worked given the way things went with you scanning RMC. Due to that you had time to lynch both claimants to any role.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
theohall

Post by theohall »

So it seems I finally did something right as a villager by revealing information at the right time.

Excellent job on the scans and protections by triggercut and stessier, respectively.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:
triggercut wrote:In retrospect, one thing that would have been AWESOME to watch would have been if Lassr countered newcastle's claim of being Desdemona.

It wouldn't have worked given the way things went with you scanning RMC. Due to that you had time to lynch both claimants to any role.
If they had hanged Newcastle, triggercut would've automatically died with him.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:

Yep. And if we'd have hanged Lassr, he likely would've sploded me.

If we'd kicked that can down the street, so to speak, likely I'd have done a futile scan of newcastle, hoping against hope to get some sort of information to break the deadlock.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I still think Iago should have claimed Desmonda on Day 1. Even counterclaimed, what the heck could we have done? Can't lynch them, scanning is useless. Would have been a mess.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

triggercut wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:

If we'd kicked that can down the street, so to speak, likely I'd have done a futile scan of newcastle, hoping against hope to get some sort of information to break the deadlock.
No, Lassr should/would have exploded on Newcastle...which would have killed you. Nice little circle there.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:

I thought about it but decided it wasn't worth the risk of giving myself up since I was unscannable. We only had to worry with trig scanning RMC which he did on the night we were blocked.

If I only had hit send. (I had a PM typed up to grund to tell him to hold off on the attempt on stessier because I was rethinking the possibility of killing trig instead but I couldn't bring myself to hit send).
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stessier wrote:
triggercut wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:

No, Lassr should/would have exploded on Newcastle...which would have killed you. Nice little circle there.
In hindsight I wish I had done it. But we saw several avenues to victory (as long as we were not blocked in a kill which is the main reason we went after you instead of trig, a block would be devastating, alas...) and those avenues were shut down quickly and by then it was too late to claim anything.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:

6 (7?) left on final day as majority was 4.
Remove 2 good guys (Newcastle and triggercut) from that hanging, one for the night kill and you still have 3 players left. 2 good 1 bad. They had time.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Glad my scoop vote came true. I thought it was Lassr, in fact he was high on my list for most of the game, just something the way he interacted. I will say Theo was still #2 after I had placed teh final vote on Theo.

CR I was leaning toward more likely not evil, rather than possibly good.

Holman I kind of discounted since well...being a nice guy and all i kind of wanted him to enjoy his first game. However, I did worry if he had slipped earlier about being a special. In the end though my thought on lassr outweighed any concern i had on Holman. Glad I was right.

Stessier was indeed the MVP with his psych out block.

As far as rule set - i dont know. It has interesting elements, but a lot of uncertainty which I dont know like (ie powers are not reliable in Othello). I dont like the fact that 2 specials can be scanned as foes in certain conditions. I do like that Desm can be a barometer if Emilia switched (ya I know contradiction).

Personally I felt like the good guys had the short end of the stick. Had 1 bad guy who could be undetectable despite a scan who also happened to be a berzerker as well; then couple that with the conversion as well.

I kind of went in with the mindset of just play as well and knew the basics of the rules and not all the different parameters and such (Grund a cliff notes version would have been nice, such as ye posted in the sign up thread - simply so someone can read fast and absorb the different powers at play. Might be an idea to add that in the future in addition to the wonderful prose you had in the descriptions).

Word of warning - The Scoopin will continue! In future games, i have every intention of Scooping people. Its not only for funsies for me but i think will had a bit of zest to the gameplay! And also maybe if i do it enough scoop will show back up with Unagi in tow.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Newcastle wrote:Word of warning - The Scoopin will continue! In future games, i have every intention of Scooping people. Its not only for funsies for me but i think will had a bit of zest to the gameplay! And also maybe if i do it enough scoop will show back up with Unagi in tow.
Then don't be surprised when we lynch you next no matter how innocent you may look - particularly if you kill a special without letting him talk.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

stessier wrote:
Newcastle wrote:Word of warning - The Scoopin will continue! In future games, i have every intention of Scooping people. Its not only for funsies for me but i think will had a bit of zest to the gameplay! And also maybe if i do it enough scoop will show back up with Unagi in tow.
Then don't be surprised when we lynch you next no matter how innocent you may look - particularly if you kill a special without letting him talk.
Yep. Pretty much my thoughts on it too.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
RMC

Post by RMC »

bb2112 wrote:
stessier wrote:
Nah, I still want to Lynch Remus first. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

RMC wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
stessier wrote:
bah you guys have no sense of humor. I'm not gonna scoop everyone...just saying am adding it to my arsenal. Geez, you guys are BOOOORRRRING! I mean it loses its drama if i do it to everyone, but ehre and there...yeah...adds some fun if i can pull it off.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

RMC wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
stessier wrote:
Geeez. I know we met but usually I remember when I've done someone that much wrong. :wink:

On a side note, if Chaosraven ever tries to tell you I started our feud he is lying. Preemptively defending a location he happened to be in posession of holding onto for me is not the same as backstabbing. :ninja:
RMC

Post by RMC »

heheh... I love you guys. I just have to get my wife to agree to come to Chicago on our dime next time. It's not that long of a drive...

:)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Newcastle wrote: Holman I kind of discounted since well...being a nice guy and all i kind of wanted him to enjoy his first game. However, I did worry if he had slipped earlier about being a special. In the end though my thought on lassr outweighed any concern i had on Holman. Glad I was right.
I believe assignments were random, but it's lucky I wasn't a special in my first game. Less chance of breaking things that way.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Holman wrote:
Newcastle wrote: Holman I kind of discounted since well...being a nice guy and all i kind of wanted him to enjoy his first game. However, I did worry if he had slipped earlier about being a special. In the end though my thought on lassr outweighed any concern i had on Holman. Glad I was right.
I believe assignments were random, but it's lucky I wasn't a special in my first game. Less chance of breaking things that way.
Heh, you will be fine. You should have seen me as my first time as a bad guy. Train wreck.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Re: Othello, The Moor of Venice (GAME OVER!)

Post by bb2112 »

Grund, thanks for running. This has been the most confusing, yet interesting, WW rules set I've seen yet. Great job! :D
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yes, thanks Grund!
theohall

Post by theohall »

Ditto on Thanks, Grund!

Well played, Holman! Especially for not having any guidance as a Venetian Gentleman. (unless, of course, you had "outside" guidance" or have played WW before in some form or another (Mafia being one of them).
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I hate explaining my RL issues that interfere with the game (EZMATE), so I generally take my lumps for it. My connection while at work (4 on, 4 off, 12hr shifts) was borked, and during the 4 off we had quite a bit going on keeping me busy. So I could check in and catch up, but very little time for extended investigation and posting. Hell, I think I posted across the rest of OO maybe a dozen times or so? Meh.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

bb2112 wrote:Grund, thanks for running. This has been the most confusing, yet interesting, WW rules set I've seen yet.
What, really? I can think of a few WW rule sets these last few years that were way more confusing than this one. ;)
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Holman

Post by Holman »

theohall wrote: Well played, Holman! Especially for not having any guidance as a Venetian Gentleman. (unless, of course, you had "outside" guidance" or have played WW before in some form or another (Mafia being one of them).
I tried to keep my head down and see if I could figure out who was lying, which I never did.

I didn't have any coaching, and my only WW experience was one session of a tabletop version (possibly The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow).

I *still* don't know what I'm doing.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote:I *still* don't know what I'm doing.
Neither does bb2112 but he still seems to have fun. That's the important part.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:
That's true. But I was right about Lassr.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

bb2112 wrote:
Remus West wrote:

Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I don't know Lassr, I think you were giving off an evil vibe this game as your name was one of my prime suspects that I sent to Grund on my death. Of course the other two names I sent were bb2112 and Newcastle so......
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

There's a sweet spot where complexity and simplicity dance. This set of rules came closer to that spot than some of my much more complex games (such as Prague -- the logic puzzle game -- or that spy thing with inventories and budgets).

If I were to run this game again, I'd have Desdemona's death bring down Othello regardless of whether she dies by day or night. I'd also not tell the hanky-bearer that he's the one, since it invites a "proven-because-uncontested" inference.

I think it would be interesting to make those two changes and then run the game again someday with a larger pool to try out the Bianca-Brabantio-Montano enhancement.

Anyhow, thanks for playing.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Remus West wrote:I don't know Lassr, I think you were giving off an evil vibe this game as your name was one of my prime suspects that I sent to Grund on my death. Of course the other two names I sent were bb2112 and Newcastle so......
well, he was picking me based off Q and LL being killed. RMC picked Q to scan and he came back special so we killed him. So my role in killing Q was very minimal.

Plus like you I have been evil a lot here recently so my game play is now tied to being evil.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Grundbegriff wrote:There's a sweet spot where complexity and simplicity dance. This set of rules came closer to that spot than some of my much more complex games (such as Prague -- the logic puzzle game -- or that spy thing with inventories and budgets).

If I were to run this game again, I'd have Desdemona's death bring down Othello regardless of whether she dies by day or night. I'd also not tell the hanky-bearer that he's the one, since it invites a "proven-because-uncontested" inference.

I think it would be interesting to make those two changes and then run the game again someday with a larger pool to try out the Bianca-Brabantio-Montano enhancement.

I liked it, it was a simple rule set that had complex possibilities. Thanks.

Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Lassr wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
Remus West wrote:
So... I would be a blind squirrel, and you are a nut. Got it. :D
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grundbegriff wrote:There's a sweet spot where complexity and simplicity dance. This set of rules came closer to that spot than some of my much more complex games (such as Prague -- the logic puzzle game -- or that spy thing with inventories and budgets).

I think you need to go full Hamlet.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

bb2112 wrote:
Lassr wrote:
bb2112 wrote:
Remus West wrote:
So... I would be a blind squirrel, and you are a nut. Got it. :D
Exactly! No...wait.

Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

:lol: