[WW] -The Pirates of the Flying Octopi - Pirates win

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

RMC

Re: [WW] -The Pirates of the Flying Octopi - DAY 4

Post by RMC »

Holman 

Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

VOTING CLOSED!
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Votes -

Holman (2 ) - Vorret, Proner, Mr. Bubbles, RMC,

NO VOTES CAST - Holman, Lagom Lite, Scoop,

Majority is 4
Bayraktar!!!!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

The crew set sail right away and as dusk hit they came across an isle with two mountains that appeared like devil’s horns. They quickly anchored and climbed to the top. It was shortly before midnight when they finished their ascent. They quickly tore open the instructions the witch had given them. It read “You must sacrifice the final spirit upon the altar you see. Innocent blood will double the curse. Be careful who you slay!”

The altar in question was as black as the night, the moonlight giving it a deadly gleam. They all looked at each other and agreed quickly to sacrifice Holman. They trusted Vorret, after all he had given them one wolf. What could go wrong?

Holman tried to run from the pack but they quickly tied him up and laid him upon the altar. The crew formed a semi circle and fired. Holman quickly died. The crew waited to see what would happen when just like the others his face started melting, hair came ablaze and that thick black smoke they all knew so well burst from his body into the night time air. HOLMAN WAS THE FINAL EVIL SPIRIT!

Shouts of joy burst forth as they knew then that their treasure was secure. Smiles were flashed as each entertained dreams on how to spend it.

PIRATES WIN!

Opening up the spoiler forum.
http://ooww.freeforums.org/we-be-pirates-yar-f52.html" target="_blank

If its not open, let me know.

OOh i edited my post!
Not once, but twice!
Last edited by Newcastle on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow, one of the slower games over in the blink of an eye. Nice job Vorret!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Indeed. What good luck he had on the scans.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Vorret, our Hero!

and Remus is a wolf. :P
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Yeah, I got REALLY lucky on my first scan.
It was so long ago, I don't remember why I scanned him.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Also if folks could read teh "opinion sought" post; would appreciate it and chime in. I gave Vorret some advice at the start and during the mid game. Am curious if folks felt i was stepping over the line or not. I felt he needed it to start with. I dont think I gave away anything, just gave him tips on how to approach his role and how he should be thinking.
Bayraktar!!!!

Holman

Post by Holman »

I really enjoyed my first outing as Evil!

An answer, if anyone is wondering: I knew from the start that there was no berserker wolf role in this game. I jumped on the chance to ask about it because it seemed like such an obvious noob question, and because I knew people would assume a wolf would know if the berserker ability were present. This was probably the only good play I made in the whole game, but it seems like it almost worked...

Pretty much everything else I said was also an attempt to come off like a pure honest noob. This was easy in the early game, but I found it harder to do later on.

I think the sudden lynching of El Guapo took all three of us by surprise.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RMC

Post by RMC »

stessier wrote:Wow, one of the slower games over in the blink of an eye. Nice job Vorret!
Great job. I was so afraid our seer was dead, and I was going to have to guess at who was evil.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Holman wrote:I really enjoyed my first outing as Evil!

An answer, if anyone is wondering: I knew from the start that there was no berserker wolf role in this game. I jumped on the chance to ask about it because it seemed like such an obvious noob question, and because I knew people would assume a wolf would know if the berserker ability were present. This was probably the only good play I made in the whole game, but it seems like it almost worked...

Pretty much everything else I said was also an attempt to come off like a pure honest noob. This was easy in the early game, but I found it harder to do later on.

I think the sudden lynching of El Guapo took all three of us by surprise.
I agree, at that point I knew you we're evil but it did made a alot of people unsuspicious of you.
And the El Guapo lynch was epic, to be honest, I was about to remove my vote and Mr.Bubbles voted for him... another lucky moment.

I was also going to come out with my info about you and Lassr on the 3rd day and Scoop made his epic "I know the seer is alive and so is the shooter" post and I thought, wow now I can really last another day if I'm carefull so at that point I tried to remove my suspicion of you to make it seem like I knew nothing at all.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Holman wrote: I think the sudden lynching of El Guapo took all three of us by surprise.
me too. Although I thought he could be playing a silent wolf as I said to Newcastle in a PM, I really had nothing on him other than his lists at the start were pretty much void of Remus analysis. But I still wasn't 100% positive Remus was a wolf (maybe 75%) but I kept up the attitude that I was positive (in case he was) hoping to get killed at night and possibly save the seer.

So I was a bit shocked when El Guapo got lynched especially since I thought there was better evidence against others but it may have been more a lynch due to time constraints.

Holman I had written off as good after the berserker comment but I started rethinking that position later and put him back on my possibly bad list but he was low on my list.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

All I know is, I got to shoot Remus! I got to shoot Remus!
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

RMC wrote:All I know is, I got to shoot Remus! I got to shoot Remus!
haha
Isgrimnur wrote:
RMC

Post by RMC »

Vorret wrote:
RMC wrote:All I know is, I got to shoot Remus! I got to shoot Remus!
haha

And thanks for making it possible Vorret. :)

I never get killed by the wolves, so I knew I was safe to stay hidden. I was hoping that the Seer would pop his head up and let us know who was who. :)
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

We all rejoice when we kill an evil Remus. Fortunately it happens often. I'm not sure if he pays the mods to make him a wolf or what, but damned if that guy has the highest rate of being evil.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Wow, was I even needed this game?

Vorret and RMC, I was simply trying to draw a lynch from the baddies and give you cover. I tried it once before and failed miserably (pr0ner shot me) so I learned from that experience and I think a better play this time.

I don't know if it mattered in the end.

The MVP really goes to pr0ner and Vorret.

Also, did evil ever consider offing me?

Also, nice play by Hoffman with the noob berserker comment. You won't get such consideration next time.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Oh, and thanks for everyone making my "return to OO" game so much fun. Great little game Newcastle!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scoop20906 wrote:Also, did evil ever consider offing me?
I don't know if it helps, but if I were a Good Guy, I would have offed you. :) Luckily, not playing this game.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RMC

Post by RMC »

Scoop20906 wrote:Wow, was I even needed this game?

Vorret and RMC, I was simply trying to draw a lynch from the baddies and give you cover. I tried it once before and failed miserably (pr0ner shot me) so I learned from that experience and I think a better play this time.

I don't know if it mattered in the end.

The MVP really goes to pr0ner and Vorret.

Also, did evil ever consider offing me?

Also, nice play by Hoffman with the noob berserker comment. You won't get such consideration next time.
I never even considered shooting you. I figured if you made it through the night, and I knew you would, I could always shoot you later. But I was holding out hope that the seer would help me out, and not only did he help me out...well he didn't even need me... But who cares, I got to Shoot Remus!!!!
theohall

Post by theohall »

FYI, I was not trying to get lynched on Day One. I was trying to make myself a Wolf target so our specials would not die on Night One. Would likely have worked, too, based on what the wolves were thinking in the spoiler forum. Glad it worked out for the good guys in the long run.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Haha! Great job Vorret! You did very well, you came out at the right time, and didn't jump the gun when you knew you had Holman.

Scoop, I think you did a good job of stirring the pot. You are lucky that RMC played it cool and didn't blow your head off.

The wolves had a hard time zeroing in on the specials. I was a little worried when Remus kept mentioning Vorret, but he was pretty busy with RL to provide the experience the wolves needed. Their biggest mistake was killing me night one. I am pretty sure the village was ready to do it after I didn't let Theo talk. :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I can't see any of the posts in the wolf forum.

:(
Hodor.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

try now
Bayraktar!!!!

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Works now. Thanks!
Hodor.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Mr Bubbles wrote:We all rejoice when we kill an evil Remus. Fortunately it happens often. I'm not sure if he pays the mods to make him a wolf or what, but damned if that guy has the highest rate of being evil.
No kidding. I hate being evil, for what its worth, but I seem to have been 9 of the last 10 outings. Or if not Evil then the friggin only role that can be converted and Bam! Evil. :( :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Based on the odds, we should just make it a point to lynch Remus day one going forward. 9 out of ten games we would have nailed a wolf day 1. Do we all agree?
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, not sure exactly what to make of my lynch. Overall I was fairly quiet, though honestly that wasn't a "lay low and hope not to draw too much attention" cunning strategy, but rather a "I'm busy and am feeling too lazy to do re-reads and contribute right now" strategy. Everyone suddenly going for me felt a bit semi-random (powered by the deadline), though it's hard to know. I'm also curious if, had I not been lynched, what kind of shot I would've had to win as (what would probably have been) the last wolf).

In hindsight (as I mentioned in the spoiler forum) probably not a great idea to put Mr. Bubbles (the only other person who hadn't voted yet) in my top 3 list when I was at n-1. But then, I wanted to list at least one villager, and I had a history with Mr. Bubbles, so he seemed the most plausible choice.

Anyhow, interesting first time as a wolf. My core problem with WW games is that I always feel like I need to do re-reads in order to do them right, but especially now with two kids I don't really have the time to do re-reads, so I wind up with long periods of not posting in them. I'm thinking next time I'm just going to forego re-reads in favor of an ongoing notes file that I update as I go.
Black Lives Matter.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Some thoughts from my perspective -

- the el Guapo lynch came out of nowhere! Seriously, where the hell that come from? Just really surprised me when that happened. Up to that point I was thinking that he would make it deep into the game. I knew Holman was going to get outed by Vorret at some point, I also felt that Remus was going to get lynched soon as well. Kudos to Proner for that one.

- I think the wolves got screwed in a sense. First they had 2 rookie wolves, which hurts them. Also with Remus I think he could have done a better job guiding/coaching them. I suspect Remus is/was busy so he really had his hands full. I think in any sense like that a veteran wolf has to put in an extra effort to guide the two rookie wolves. Again not throwing Remus under the bus, since his participation on the whole was not up to his stellar standards, so am not laying it down at his feet. It sucks that the two rookies had a busy veteran wolf to guide them. I am sure had he more time, they would have performed much better. Just my sense of things.

- I think the wolves didnt spend enough time thinking about who could be the seer and such. They more reacted than plotted how they were going to go forward. With the game coming so easy the first couple of days I think it gave them a false confidence. They never even thought about Vorret seriously.

-Holman's line about the berserker wolf was pretty good. He bought a lot of votes of confidence that way. However, think about it liek this...he knew they were no berserker wolf, so asking about it was could have been a genuine curiotisity it really should never have been a disproving mechanism. The wolves WOULD know there was no berserker, but still be ignorant of its mechanic.

- Vorret got frigging lucky. Seriously 2 wolves in 3 scans. Beginners luck i'd like to say. :D. Seriously good job at staying low and keeping it together.

- I was really dissapointed at the start of the game, really felt it was slow; hence the deadlines. However, I think it really picked up later in the game. Slow start strong finish.

- I'm really not sure what the net effect of Scoop's play is still. I saw it play out, I knew on the whole he was mixing the pot. I think on the whole it helped prove himself, while also stirring up some information.

-truicy and Proner - Seriously I want to commend the both of you for upping your participation rates. I know truicy has been trying harder in the last 4-5 games he's played to be more verbose. It's gotten him killed as he tries to break the mold. Games are infintely more fun when people talk and project their opionions in these things. I also think its time to break the strategy that we need to lynch truicy or proner because their talking too much...which basically is what got truicy lynched.

- Uhm who's got next?
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I don't like deadlines. At all. Part of the game, imo, is giving folks the time to go over things. To poke and prod at those who are not talkative. Having a deadline makes it an entirely different game and if you do not have time you can not participate fully. I think the lack of much discussion in the wolf forum was a direct outcome of schedule and deadlines. Being very busy prevented us from having the time to get in much discussion as least from my end.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Yeah I am not a fan of deadlines at all. BUT, i was looking at the pace of the game we were 9 days in and it felt slow, and from my perspective there was very little participation and discussions going on. I felt the deadlines that i did put in place were fair. You guys had 2 weeks for week 1, about 10 days for day 2, 9 days for day 3.

In terms of the night deadlines, generally the games are flipped in 24 hours. I felt 36 hours was generous.

I think if i had not placed any deadlines in, I think people would have lost interest.

Again I am not a fan of deadlines, I really prefer to let games take a life of their own. But in this case I think it was for the best as the game as a whole.
Bayraktar!!!!

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

We'd still be on day 2 without a deadline, we couldn't come to a consensus.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Holman

Post by Holman »

I have no problem with the deadline as it was, although any shorter would have been too short.

I really enjoyed the game, although I'm still amused at how much of the game depends on knowing the participants' past style of play. But I guess that's what makes it a community tradition and not just a one-off.

In any case, I won't be able to play the noob card again.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

That is part of the game though. Working to create the consensus. Deadlines put an artificial force in place to do it for the group. Yes, you risk the game going much longer but you also allow players to develope their own pace to it and post much more which makes people able to hide better or give themselves away depending on their posts. I literally posted as much as I could for the night kills as I just did not have time to put more towards it. I backed off the argument with Lassr as much if not mostly because I did not have the time for it. Look at some of the old games that had no deadline. Yes, they took more time and there were down times within the games but they also contained much more manuvering.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Remus West wrote:That is part of the game though. Working to create the consensus. Deadlines put an artificial force in place to do it for the group. Yes, you risk the game going much longer but you also allow players to develope their own pace to it and post much more which makes people able to hide better or give themselves away depending on their posts. I literally posted as much as I could for the night kills as I just did not have time to put more towards it. I backed off the argument with Lassr as much if not mostly because I did not have the time for it. Look at some of the old games that had no deadline. Yes, they took more time and there were down times within the games but they also contained much more manuvering.
I shot you.... :)
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Remus West wrote:That is part of the game though. Working to create the consensus. Deadlines put an artificial force in place to do it for the group. Yes, you risk the game going much longer but you also allow players to develope their own pace to it and post much more which makes people able to hide better or give themselves away depending on their posts. I literally posted as much as I could for the night kills as I just did not have time to put more towards it. I backed off the argument with Lassr as much if not mostly because I did not have the time for it. Look at some of the old games that had no deadline. Yes, they took more time and there were down times within the games but they also contained much more manuvering.
I absolutely agree with you...to a degree. But my main concern when i kicked in the deadlines in was that the game was going to stall and players would lose interest. I looked at the first week, and there were a few days there when there was maybe handful of posts going up. I didnt like that trend and I was afraid that it was going to lead to a long term trend within the game. I dont regret doing it. But if there was a bit more activity I would have held off. I was really afraid that the game would stagnate and stall out and then it would be much more difficult getting players back into the game and involved.

As i said, i really dont like deadlines, but I felt this game needed it. Sorry if you felt screwed remus. I suspected you had a very hectic schedule since youre usually more active and involved.

It wasnt one person that caused me to go the deadline route, but rather as the group as a whole. I wish I didn't have to, but again I stand by my decission. I had to look at the pacing that the game was experiencing. I guess am use to the games of past where discussions were more heated and lively.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

It was your decision and it is entirely possible that you are correct and people would have lost interest but it is also entirely possible that folks would have picked up their posting level given time to work with. My main issue with implimenting deadlines mid game is that is alters the game players signed up for. This is practice seems to be increasing to me so it is not like you are the first to do it. I just think that the game itself should create the interest not an outside force like the deadline.
Newcastle

Re: [WW] -The Pirates of the Flying Octopi - Pirates win

Post by Newcastle »

I'd like to think the interest in itself should be self motivating Remus. But I really was struck how slow the game started in that first week. I was already kicking around the idea a few days in; that should mean something. I am usually NOT FOND of deadlines at all. It was only over that weekend that i firmed up to it.

Sorry if you felt that I changed the game mid stream. I can see how it can be frustrating.
I think the times i gave were generous. I know Lassr has given smaller time schedules in previous games.

The game simply felt slow at that point and I was worried for the long term. There were a lot of people who werent posting nor participating; so much that I really was concerned there would only be a few people participating and then there would be none. Not that i've ever seen a game completely stall, but I know I've been frustrated at trying to engender a response or get some movement in a game and nothing happens. The deadlines cured that.

Again I also think the deadlines I gave were generous. When i started them, I gave from Sunday night to Friday night, a whole week. That's pretty much 5 full days of discussion. And we'd already been playing for 9. That would be 2 weeks for day 1. Think about that. You had 2 weeks for day 1. How often do you see that happen? That's a pretty frigging long first day, and generally teh first days are the longest.

Going forward, I think I gave pretty large time frames. I started with 10 days, then cut down by 1 day going forward.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Re: [WW] -The Pirates of the Flying Octopi - Pirates win

Post by Remus West »

You are not seeing my point nor saying anything new. Let me be clear though. I am not offended nor really upset regarding you implementing deadlines. had I been I would have PMed you regarding it when you brought them up. I just think that people are getting impatient with installing deadlines rather than riding the game out. It is not you alone. Far from that. Yes, the time allotments were fine but it still doesn't remove the impact of the deadlines. Look at the game. Little action, little action, little action, nearing deadline and cue action. Deadlines alter the game.