Battle of the Presidents

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Moliere

Battle of the Presidents

Post by Moliere »

Is there enough interest in playing another one of these games? Depending on how many people sign up I would like 2 Democrats to start with a possible 3rd via conversion.

GAME RULES:

The Republicans:

Teddy Roosevelt: Can pick a player to protect every night against Democratic attacks. However, Teddy cannot protect the same player two nights in a row, but he can protect himself. The protection does extend into the daytime, meaning he can protect a Republican from Jackson's attack. The protection is also effective against a conversion. Teddy also has an additional ability to instantly kill any player of his choosing. This ability can only be used once during the game and will out the hunter's identity to the village.

Ronald Reagan: Can tell who is acting and therefore sees the true role of any ALIVE player.

Abraham Lincoln: One-time power (instant) to resurrect any player. Using this power will out Lincoln to the village. If Lincoln is converted he can resurrect a fellow Democrat.

Regular Republicans = everyone else

The Democrats:

Democrats can PM each other (or use a private forum). They pick one Republican to eat per night. There are three kinds of Democrats:

a) Bill Clinton, through his personal charm, can at any time during the game, pick one Republican and convert him to a Democrat. This will convert the Republican member into a Democrat (no special abilities) and join the Democratic Party. The conversion is effective against specials retaining their powers after being converted. The conversion is not effective against Roosevelt , however, nor against anyone Roosevelt is protecting. Clinton only has one chance at a conversion, but will not be outed regardless of its outcome.

b) Andrew Jackson has the ability to take down any Republican before being shot for treason. In other words, if he is found guilty of treason he will take one Republican with him - unless the Republican is being protected by Roosevelt. This Kamikaze action works even if Jackson is killed instantly by Roosevelt instead of found guilty of treason.

c) The converted Democrat has no powers unless it is Reagan or Lincoln. This type results from a successful conversion by Clinton.

Miscellaneous:

Republicans can NOT PM any other player regarding the game.

Democrats CAN PM each other.

Players can edit their posts during the game in progress, however if you edit your post, you MUST give an explanation of why/what you edited.

Dead players can NOT participate in the game - this includes providing information, encouragement, tips or otherwise. Dead players are eligible to ONE post following his death. This one post follows the same rules as before - cannot influence the game, and so forth.

Voting for treason will close as soon as majority is reached.

Voting can only take place in the daytime. Any votes made during the night will not be counted.

You can retract and change your vote at any time up to the close of the vote.

The game will begin at DAYTIME.

There will be a TIME LIMIT for Specials to send in their PMs. The time limit will be 48 hours after the posting of the treason decision (NOT after the voting closes) on weekdays, and 72 hours if any of the 24 hours falls on Saturday or Sunday. There is a one week time limit for the treason vote.

Specials CAN pre-emptively send in their actions during the daytime for the following night. Specials are allowed to change pre-emptive actions unless it has already been resolved.

Turn order during the night:

Reagan scans;
Roosevelt protects;
Democrats attack.

Roster
1) El Guapo
2) Scoop20906
3) Vorret
4) Qantaga
5) bb2112
6) Lassr
7) Remus West
8 )Chaosraven
9) tru1cy
10) RMC
11) theohall
12) triggercut
13) J.D.
14) Newcastle
Last edited by Moliere on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 am, edited 12 times in total.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Remus West

Re: Battle of the Presidents

Post by Remus West »

Is there going to be a time limit on the days (voting deadline)?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One major flaw in the design: the Republicans have Teddy Roosevelt, therefore they win. Not sure what the point of playing is, then.

Really, to give the democrats any chance you have to at least give them Andrew Jackson.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

In. I think this is a nifty theme.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Can Canadian play? Am I going to be lost in a sea of none-sense political gibberish? If yes to both then I'm in :D
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Remus West wrote:Is there going to be a time limit on the days (voting deadline)?
There will be a TIME LIMIT for Specials to send in their PMs. The time limit will be 48 hours after the posting of the treason decision (NOT after the voting closes) on weekdays, and 72 hours if any of the 24 hours falls on Saturday or Sunday. There is a one week time limit for the treason vote.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:One major flaw in the design: the Republicans have Teddy Roosevelt, therefore they win. Not sure what the point of playing is, then.

Really, to give the democrats any chance you have to at least give them Andrew Jackson.
Good idea! I think he would make a better Kamikaze considering the whole dueling history. Are you playing?
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

What about the Whigs? ;)

When IN the course of human events...
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Vorret wrote:Can Canadian play? Am I going to be lost in a sea of none-sense political gibberish? If yes to both then I'm in :D
Yes, eh. And most definitely Yes! :angry-argument:
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Egads I hate politics, but love WW. This is a dilemma.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

bb2112 wrote:Egads I hate politics, but love WW. This is a dilemma.
How can you turn down the chance to have Jackson battle Reagan? :P
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
El Guapo wrote:One major flaw in the design: the Republicans have Teddy Roosevelt, therefore they win. Not sure what the point of playing is, then.

Good idea! I think he would make a better Kamikaze considering the whole dueling history. Are you playing?
If Jackson is in, then I am in.

So, yes.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Roosevelt can "instantly" kill someone. Jackson can take another with him. Roosevelt's action outs Roosevelt as the Most awesome figure ever to hold the presidencyhunter.

If Roosevelt instakills Jackson, is Roosevelt outed in time for Jackson to take Roosevelt with him?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Grundbegriff wrote:If Roosevelt instakills Jackson, is Roosevelt outed in time for Jackson to take Roosevelt with him?
If Roosevelt has a self-protect then he survives killing Jackson. If he doesn't then he will be killed. Either way, Roosevelt is outed as soon as he takes his instant kill shot.
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

El Guapo wrote: If Jackson is in, then I am in.
If El Guapo is in, then I am in.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Moliere, I think you happened upon a theme that is going to be a lot of fun. I might even start spelling your name right. LOL

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scoop20906 wrote:Moliere, I think you happened upon a theme that is going to be a lot of fun. I might even start spelling your name right. LOL
Maybe I should be recruiting people from the R&P forum. We need more players! I'm hoping people get into the political groove and have some fun with it.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

If you want we do have the wolves forum that is pretty easy to configure for a new game if you are interested. BB has the keys and i am sure he'd be happy to help set you up. :) (see what i did there BB, that should quell your impatient nature until this game gets up and running)
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Newcastle wrote:
If you want we do have the wolves forum that is pretty easy to configure for a new game if you are interested. BB has the keys and i am sure he'd be happy to help set you up. :) (see what i did there BB, that should quell your impatient nature until this game gets up and running)
That would be my preference if I can be given access to setup the restrictions.

Does this mean you're playing? :wink:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Remus West wrote:Is there going to be a time limit on the days (voting deadline)?
I am open to having a time limit or removing it. If the players want no time limit then I can remove that restriction.

Are you playing?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Moliere wrote:
Newcastle wrote:

at this moment no...i might change my mind. But dont bet on it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Moliere wrote:
I am open to having a time limit or removing it. If the players want no time limit then I can remove that restriction.

Are you playing?
I'd say remove it for this game and see what happens.

I guess I will be in for this game. Thought about retirement since I've had two good games in a row, good at finding baddies, terrible at convincing the village though.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Moliere wrote:

Are you playing?
A political game and no time limits. You want to see my head explode don't you.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'm totally up for a no time limit game like the old days. I think the new way people just sit back and wait until one day before the deadline to do anything anyway. I promise to try to be the old MENTAL patient scoop if you bring back no time limits. God I hope Im not a republican.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Scoop20906 wrote: God I hope Im not a republican.
I'm an independent in real life so I guess I can swing either way...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scoop20906 wrote:I'm totally up for a no time limit game like the old days. I think the new way people just sit back and wait until one day before the deadline to do anything anyway. I promise to try to be the old MENTAL patient scoop if you bring back no time limits. God I hope Im not a republican.
We'll see what random.org has to say about your political affiliation. Or maybe Clinton will "save" you. :dance:
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Scoop20906 wrote:God I hope Im not a republican.
I've found myself thinking the same thing, however, I keep reminding myself that I could be of the old Republican Party and not the modern one.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Moliere wrote:
Newcastle wrote:

I can do this, but you would have to sign up at the site I PM'd you. Let me know when you do, and I can set up the forum for you and give you the keys. You will have to control who has access after that.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Well, perversely it might be fun to play up the cartoonish nature of the too parties so maybe being a repub might fit me just fine.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Scoop20906 wrote:Well, perversely it might be fun to play up the cartoonish nature of the too parties so maybe being a repub might fit me just fine.
Help me recruit some more players. I'm sure there must be other Democrats in OO who would want a chance to play Reagan. Given this game design what is the recommended minimum number of players?
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Moliere wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Well, perversely it might be fun to play up the cartoonish nature of the too parties so maybe being a repub might fit me just fine.
Help me recruit some more players. I'm sure there must be other Democrats in OO who would want a chance to play Reagan. Given this game design what is the recommended minimum number of players?
3 "Wolves" (2 +1 conversion)

With Day Lynch and Night KIll lose 2 per Cycle.

Wolves win at tied numbers.

6 = wolf win.

So to make it a "three strikes and out" Game you need 6 + 6or7 (depending on starting Day/Night)

Ignores inclusion of Extra Kills and Protection Variance.

13 ok, 15 better.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chaosraven wrote:
Moliere wrote:
3 "Wolves" (2 +1 conversion)

With Day Lynch and Night KIll lose 2 per Cycle.

Wolves win at tied numbers.

6 = wolf win.

So to make it a "three strikes and out" Game you need 6 + 6or7 (depending on starting Day/Night)

Ignores inclusion of Extra Kills and Protection Variance.

13 ok, 15 better.
What about you? :wink:
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'll try Moliere

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'll try Moliere

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I could play with my alt.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Moliere wrote:What about you? :wink:
Sadly, I will be out of town over Thanksgiving (from the Mon to Sat)
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chaosraven wrote:
Moliere wrote:What about you? :wink:
Sadly, I will be out of town over Thanksgiving (from the Mon to Sat)
As the game moderator I am allowed to make play extensions for holidays. :wink:

Plus it is looking like we're not going to have time limits.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Ah hell, mark me down as "IN".

Let 'em Lynch me first.

Wasn't going to say much on Day One anyway.
"Where are you off to?"

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Was it wrong to put the political twist into the game? Where are all the players?
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Wondering the same thing... missing a lot of key players.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.