Letters from Whitechapel, planning and organization...

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

coopasonic

Letters from Whitechapel, planning and organization...

Post by coopasonic »

I am working on a Java app to help automate/run a Letters from Whitechapel forum game. Part of this effort involves mapping out all of the locations on the game board and all of the adjacent locations for each of those locations. There are 195 jack locations on the board and 232 crossing (police) locations. For all 427 locations I need the specific x,y coordinates for the locations on the image I am using the game board. For each jack location I have to track each adjacent crossing and each adjacent jack location as well as each jack location that shares the same block. For each crossing it is just each adjacent crossing and each adjacent jack location. I get to skip the block thing there.

The object oriented nature of java makes it pretty easy to manage this information in the application. The challenge is accurately collecting what is somewhere on the order of 3342 pieces of information. Now that I have done the math I am going to go sit in the corner and cry.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Re: Letters from Whitechapel, planning and organization...

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look at the Letters. They reference six different areas of the map. The circle work is done for you. The square work can be broken down into those sectors. Also, the entire thing is listed in a 20x13 grid format on an even lower level.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:The circle work is done for you.
Where is this done for me? I don't think you get what I am saying.

Picking at random, location #85 in the middle of the map. This is the information I need to take note of.

Image coordinates: 565, 328 (need this to tell when it's being clicked on).
Adjacent crossings: 110, 193 (Jack and the Wretched can't move to a location adjacent to an occupied crossing)
Adjacent locations: 86, 99, 100, 124,126,101 (Where Jack can move from his current location)
Shared block locations: 86,101,102,100,124 (needed for Lantern movement)

That's the information for one circle. There are 194 more. Each one takes careful analysis of the map. I have an idea for a data structure that will cut the work down significantly, but will cause a lot more work for the code to process.

If I enter all of the connections like 85 to 110 and 95 to 193 and then 110 to 86 (you have to imagine here because you don't have the crossing numbers). I can make the code search out the possibilities. I am not sure how that would perform real time, but I could actually set it up to solve for all of the data above ahead of time. Suddenly I am interested again.

I still have to get the x,y coordinates of 427 locations but the rest of it should be more interesting now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's quite the exercise, I will give you that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.