Titan the board game

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Titan the board game

Post by Remus West »

This is just to gauge interest right now.
PDF of the Rules

Game plays up to 6 players.

Anyone interested in playing? It would be a play by email format rather than a forum games type thing although I'd be open to posting screen shots of the board so folks could follow along.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Re: Titan the board game

Post by El Guapo »

I'm in.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Wow, this is seriously old-school. I'm down.
Black Lives Matter
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

How do you plan to run battles? I didn't read your posted rules so if it is in there, sorry.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

bb2112 wrote:How do you plan to run battles? I didn't read your posted rules so if it is in there, sorry.
I was simply going to use the ACT site. I won't be running anything, the site would be. The only thing I'd post here would be screen shots. Hopefully the other players would take shots of their battles to post. Once we have players we can work out who posts which shot.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Got it. I was going to suggest using the ACT site, but was curious if you had another plan.

I will play if you need players, but I think it would be cooler if new people wanted to learn. I can also help if you need any.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I'm in. Thanks for the reminder BB. Busy at work, but not too busy to play this great looking game. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

If needed, I will play.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
redrun

Post by redrun »

It appears to me like you are looking for new victims... er, players. However, if you need a sixth to fill the game out I'd be interested.
Sufficient I am to the day.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo, RMC, and NickAragua, have any of you played before?

redrun, is it possible to set up accounts on the ACTs site to email multiple addresses for a single player? I'm thinking it might be easier if we partnered new players with old so they can share strategy and thoughts as well as rules questions more easily.

edit: Also I need to note that my time has become very limited due to starting the new job Monday so I'm not sure on running this any longer. The old job provided plenty of time during the day the new one will not.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Nope, never even heard of it before this thread.
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

NickAragua wrote:Nope, never even heard of it before this thread.
Nope. I kinda read the linked rules. Seems easy to understand hard to master.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Same here.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RMC wrote:
Nope. I kinda read the linked rules. Seems easy to understand hard to master.
Terrain is more than a bit tricky to remember and it's not very intuitive. That goes double for PBEM where you forget what you were doing combat round to combat round.

If you've never played the I would print the hazard chart and look for a copy of the battle boards in non ascii. (which I can't locate right now)

I'd also maybe recommend playing the java version once or twice

the PBEM interface is very unforgiving for helping you recognized that you are making mistakes. It let's you do pretty much whatever you want and trusts that you know what you're doing.

This is much more (though not completely) friendly way to learn the game and battleboards than ACTS:

http://colossus.sourceforge.net/

Even then if you can a real visual of the battle boards you will be helped dramatically to understand terrain.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No battle boards but...

Here are most of them

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boa ... an/page/15
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The movement on ACTs is good (although you need to be careful not to move twice with a single stack). It is the battle boards and knowing the terrain effects that I think will trip people up. Also knowing which character can hit and what number they need and which guys can rangestrike to where.....
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

BASIC UNIT INFO

Two numbers, first is how many dice you roll in combat, and how many hits it takes to kill. Second is Skill Factor and Movement.

Skill Factor determines how you hit each other.
Even skill = need a 4 or better
Above by One = 3, Above by 2 = 2
Lower by One = 5, lower by 2 = 6.

So for an example, an Ogre (6-2) is fighting a Centaur (3-4)
The Ogre will only hit on 6s on his 6 dice, whereas the Centaur will hit on 2s or higher on his 3 dice.
But it will take 6 hits to kill the Ogre (not all at once required, racks up over the battle) and only 3 to kill the Centaur.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
redrun

Post by redrun »

Remus West wrote: redrun, is it possible to set up accounts on the ACTs site to email multiple addresses for a single player? I'm thinking it might be easier if we partnered new players with old so they can share strategy and thoughts as well as rules questions more easily.
It's possible to have two email addresses on an account at ACTS.

The best FAQ (IMO) and rules errata is maintained by Bruno Wolff at: (http)://wolff.to/titan/
Sufficient I am to the day.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

redrun wrote:
Remus West wrote: redrun, is it possible to set up accounts on the ACTs site to email multiple addresses for a single player? I'm thinking it might be easier if we partnered new players with old so they can share strategy and thoughts as well as rules questions more easily.

The best FAQ (IMO) and rules errata is maintained by Bruno Wolff at:
need to use the URL tag to post links until the board is fixed.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

redrun wrote:

The best FAQ (IMO) and rules errata is maintained by Bruno Wolff at: http://wolff.to/titan/
Because LM was too lazy to fix it. :P
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Are we picking Titans yet? I want to be the one who doesn't get eternally imprisoned by Zeus. Ooh ooh, I'll be the world destroying norse one.
Black Lives Matter.
RMC

Post by RMC »

El Guapo wrote:Are we picking Titans yet? I want to be the one who doesn't get eternally imprisoned by Zeus. Ooh ooh, I'll be the world destroying norse one.
Dibs on the one that did the whole Wrath thing. Or was it Clashing? I always forget.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:
redrun wrote:

The best FAQ (IMO) and rules errata is maintained by Bruno Wolff at: http://wolff.to/titan/
Because LM was too lazy to fix it. :P

There was no link at all when I quoted him so I had no idea how to fix it. :p
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

But seriously though, what's the plan for starting this up?
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Not sure. I started a new job since I made this thread. Due to preparing for that among other distractions (free time being given to pathfinder games) I have not looked into what I need to do to make it happen.