Puerto Rico, Game 03: Moët Margarita - The Game is Afoot!

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: Puerto Rico, Game 03: Moët Margarita - The Game is Afoot

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:So Remus is up for colonist placing, then it's his action choice, then a new turn phase.
I only have one open slot and now have 2 colonists from which to choose who occupies it......
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:The game hasn't ended; there are a few more chits. If lunchtime allows, I'll review the shipments.
Are there more than 2 VP left?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:The game hasn't ended; there are a few more chits. If lunchtime allows, I'll review the shipments.
Are there more than 2 VP left?
There are at least two face-down vp chits.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I really want to craftsman but it is just setting Moliere up for another big haul. :?
Sigh.
Unsure.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote:I really want to craftsman but it is just setting Moliere up for another big haul. :?
Sigh.
Unsure.
I guess you're unclear about whether you want to win the game or whether you want Moliere to win the game? I can't see any reason why you would pick Craftsman if you want to win, since you'd never get the chance to use the goods produced.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Let me clarify the ending conditions:

Running out of VP doesn't end the game; running out of VP during Captain ends the game.
Filling up the city tiles doesn't end the game; filling up the city tiles during Builder ends the game.

I mention this nuance because the second condition can only really be satisfied during Builder, but it's entirely possible to run out of VP through some non-Captain mechanism and then continue the game until someone triggers Captain.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:Let me clarify the ending conditions:

Running out of VP doesn't end the game; running out of VP during Captain ends the game.
Filling up the city tiles doesn't end the game; filling up the city tiles during Builder ends the game.

I mention this nuance because the second condition can only really be satisfied during Builder, but it's entirely possible to run out of VP through some non-Captain mechanism and then continue the game until someone triggers Captain.
I thought it continued through the end of the round in which the VP are depleted or the building space filled. Is that not the case with the Nobles expansion?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:

I thought it continued through the end of the round in which the VP are depleted or the building space filled. Is that not the case with the Nobles expansion?
Yes, that's right. What I'm saying is that the mere fact of running out of VP chits is insufficient to end the game. Instead, the game ends with the last turn of a round in which Captain is triggered and cannot be satisfied due to the lack of chits.

In other words, if you run out of VP (say, via the Church during Builder or Chapel during Craftsman) and nobody in the round selects Captain, then the next round starts.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:
Remus West wrote:I really want to craftsman but it is just setting Moliere up for another big haul. :?
Sigh.
Unsure.
I guess you're unclear about whether you want to win the game or whether you want Moliere to win the game? I can't see any reason why you would pick Craftsman if you want to win, since you'd never get the chance to use the goods produced.
Ugh. Forgot the #8 boat is nearly full already.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

6 and 7 are empty. 8 has room for 1 sugar. Trading house is empty.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grundbegriff wrote:6 and 7 are empty. 8 has room for 1 corn. Trading house is empty.
ftfy
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Remus West wrote:

Yes, that's right. What I'm saying is that the mere fact of running out of VP chits is insufficient to end the game. Instead, the game ends with the last turn of a round in which Captain is triggered and cannot be satisfied due to the lack of chits.

In other words, if you run out of VP (say, via the Church during Builder or Chapel during Craftsman) and nobody in the round selects Captain, then the next round starts.
Does running out of chits during the captain phase immediately end the accumulation of VP? Suppose there are 5 VP chits left. Some jerk (let's call him ereiloM) picks Captain and ships goods for 5 VPs. The next player (who happens to be ruggedly handsome) has goods to ship and there's an empty boat. Does he get VPs that phase, or can he not get VPs during the final captain phase because the supply of VP chits ran out during the first player's shipment?
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Well, lets roll the dice.

I'll take the Settler +2. I will decline taking a plantation and will use my Hunting Lodge to ditch the tobacco plantation.

I don't like it but it seems to be the least damaging. :(
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

El Guapo wrote:Does running out of chits during the captain phase immediately end the accumulation of VP? Suppose there are 5 VP chits left. Some jerk (let's call him ereiloM) picks Captain and ships goods for 5 VPs. The next player (who happens to be ruggedly handsome) has goods to ship and there's an empty boat. Does he get VPs that phase, or can he not get VPs during the final captain phase because the supply of VP chits ran out during the first player's shipment?
VPs get tallied on paper if the chits run out. Paper tallied chits count exactly the same as actual chits.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Remus West wrote:VPs get tallied on paper if the chits run out. Paper tallied chits count exactly the same as actual chits.
This is correct. If this happens, then at game's end you have to get your chits together.

Since Remus has selected Settler and declined to choose, everyone else who has room (i.e., Nick, Moliere, and El Guapo) may take a farm:
  • coffee
  • corn
  • sugar
  • tobacco
  • sugar
  • tobacco
From Vorret, I need to know whether to waste his Indigo or his Tobacco from the last Captain phase.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I will take a populated sugar plantation.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:Does running out of chits during the captain phase immediately end the accumulation of VP? Suppose there are 5 VP chits left. Some jerk (let's call him ereiloM) picks Captain and ships goods for 5 VPs. The next player (who happens to be ruggedly handsome) has goods to ship and there's an empty boat. Does he get VPs that phase, or can he not get VPs during the final captain phase because the supply of VP chits ran out during the first player's shipment?
:lol:

I like how El Guapo continues to fly under the radar in this game making it appear like I will win. My late surge won't be enough to catch his army of Nobles and Captain shipments. And since he is playing this like a ww game I say
 El Guapo 

Let the fur swing!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:
:lol:

I like how El Guapo continues to fly under the radar in this game making it appear like I will win. My late surge won't be enough to catch his army of Nobles and Captain shipments. And since he is playing this like a ww game I say
 El Guapo 

Let the fur swing!
You need to pick a plantation, ereiloM.
Black Lives Matter.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Waste indigo
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

corn and hospice colonist.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'll take a sugar plantation.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Start of Round 15

Post by Grundbegriff »

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Start of Round 15:

Victory Point Chips: Fewer than 10
Doubloons: A bunch
Colonists in supply: 10
Nobles in supply: 00
Colonists on inbound ship: 4
Nobles on inbound ship: 1
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
The number on the left is the price in doubloons. For worker capacity and VP value, see the BUILDINGS section above.
As these are acquired, I'll put them under erasure and mark them with the initial of the owner Mo, El, Re, Ni, or Vo.

Bank Board
Column 1
(1) [small indigo plant] [small indigo plant]
(2) [small sugar mill]
(1)
(2) [forest house] [forest house]
(2) [construction hut]
(2)
(3) [storehouse]
(3)
Column 2
(3)
(4) [large sugar mill]
(4)
(4) [hunting lodge]
(5)
(5) [zoning office] [zoning office]
(5) [church] [church]
(6) [small wharf] [small wharf]
(6)
Column 3
(5) [tobacco storage]
(6) [coffee roaster]
(7) [lighthouse] [lighthouse]
(7) [villa]
(8)
(8)
(9) [wharf]
Column 4
(10) [guild hall]
(10) [residence]
(10)
(10)
(10) [statue]
(10) [royal garden]
Plantations and Quarries Available
Plantations:
  • indigo
  • corn
  • tobacco
  • tobacco
  • tobacco
  • coffee
Quarries:
  • Quarry 1 Mo
  • Quarry 2 Ni
  • Quarry 3 El
  • Quarry 4 Ni
  • Quarry 5 Ni
  • Quarry 6 Mo
  • Quarry 7 Ni
  • Quarry 8 Mo
Coffee crates in supply: 08
Tobacco crates in supply: 05
Sugar crates in supply: 11
Indigo crates in supply: 10
Corn crates in supply: 3

Trade House: (1) --- (2) --- (3) --- (4) ---
Cargo Ship #6: _____, _____, _____, _____, _____, _____
Cargo Ship #7: _____, _____, _____, _____, _____, _____, _____
Cargo Ship #8: corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, _____

1: Moliere
Victory Points: ???
Doubloons: 02
Idle Colonists: 01
Employed Colonists: 22
Idle Nobles: 00
Employed Nobles: 00
Crates on Hand: Corn: 00, Indigo: 00, Sugar: 00, Tobacco: 00, Coffee:00

Code: Select all

Plantations and workers: 
 [indigo farm_________c] [coffee______________c] [quarry______________c] [coffee______________c]
 [quarry______________c] [sugar_______________c] [quarry______________c] [corn________________c]
 [coffee______________c] [indigo farm_________c] [indigo farm_________c] [_____________________]

Buildings and workers:
 [hospice_____________c] [sm sugar mill_______c] [wharf_______________c] [_____________________]
 [lg indigo plant___ccc] [coffee roaster_____cc] [lg market___________c] [_____________________]
 [land office_________c] [harbor______________c] [_____________________] [_____________________]

2: El Guapo
Doubloons: 00
Idle Colonists: 01
Employed Colonists: 14
Idle Nobles: 01
Employed Nobles: 08
Crates on Hand: Corn: 00, Indigo: 01, Sugar: 00, Tobacco: 03, Coffee:00

Plantations and workers: 
 [indigo farm_________c] [tobacco farm________c] [sugar farm__________c] [sugar_______________0]
 [tobacco farm________c] [quarry______________c] [tobacco farm________c] [_____________________]
 [indigo farm_________c] [corn farm___________c] [sugar farm__________c] [_____________________]

Buildings and workers:
 [tobacco storage___ccN] [villa_______________N] [storehouse__________N] [_____________________]
 [sm indigo plant_____c] [chapel______________N] [harbor______________N] [_____________________]
 [lg market___________c] [lg sugar mill_____NNc] [royal supplier______N] [_____________________]

3: Remus West
Doubloons: 02
Idle Colonists: 02
Employed Colonists: 14
Employed Nobles: 03
Crates on Hand: Corn: 00, Indigo: 00, Sugar: 00, Tobacco: 00, Coffee:00

Plantations and workers:
 [indigo farm_________c] [corn farm___________c] [corn farm___________c] [_____________________]
 [sugar farm__________c] [indigo farm_________c] [coffee______________N] [_____________________]
 [indigo farm_________c] [indigo farm_________c] [_____________________] [_____________________]

Buildings and workers:
 [sm sugar mill_______c] [specialty factory___N] [CUSTOMS______________] [_____________________]
 [lg indigo plant___ccc] [royal supplier______c] [HOUSE_______________c] [_____________________]
 [sm indigo plant_____N] [hunting lodge_______c] [_____________________] [_____________________]

4: NickAragua
Doubloons: 07
Idle Colonists: 00
Employed Colonists: 17
Employed Nobles: 03
Crates on Hand: Corn: 00, Indigo: 00, Sugar: 00, Tobacco: 00, Coffee:01

Plantations and workers: 
 [corn farm___________c] [sugar farm__________c] [quarry______________c] [sugar farm__________c]
 [coffee______________c] [quarry______________N] [sugar farm__________c] [_____________________]
 [quarry______________c] [quarry______________c] [coffee______________c] [_____________________]

Buildings and workers:
 [chapel______________N] [sm sugar mill_______c] [lg sugar mill_____ccc] [_____________________]
 [construction hut____0] [hospice_____________c] [FORT_________________] [_____________________]
 [small market________c] [coffee roaster_____Nc] [RESS________________c] [_____________________]

5: Vorret
Doubloons: 10
Idle Colonists: 00
Employed Colonists: 15
Employed Nobles: 04
Crates on Hand: Corn: 00, Indigo: 00, Sugar: 00, Tobacco: 01, Coffee:00

Plantations and workers: 
 [corn farm___________c] [corn farm___________c] [corn farm___________c] [coffee______________N]
 [sugar farm__________c] [tobacco farm________c] [tobacco farm________c] [sugar farm__________c]
 [indigo farm_________c] [corn farm___________c] [tobacco farm________c] [indigo farm_________N]

Buildings and workers:
 [land office_________N] [tobacco storage___cNc] [_____________________] [_____________________]
 [lg indigo plant___cc0] [_____________________] [_____________________] [_____________________]
 [small market________N] [_____________________] [_____________________] [_____________________]

15: M. le Gouverneur Vorret!
  • Builder +1
  • Captain
  • Craftsman +1
  • Mayor
  • Prospector +1
  • Prospector
  • Settler
  • Trader
Please doublecheck my figures. Thanks!
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grundbegriff

Re: Start of Round 15

Post by Grundbegriff »

Another opportunity for one of the Shire-folk to prove their great worth. :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Re: the summary, I have a noble on my royal supplier
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere, you're going to need to Craftsman unless you wish to allow El Guapo to Captain his storehouse away without getting anything yourself. That is assuming Vorret does not craftsman (I suspect him of intention to build).
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Yes indeed...

Builder - Residence (that's the one for the plantation, right?)
for 9 db - 1 bonus so I should have 2db left!
Isgrimnur wrote:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Tall buildings cost 10:
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I know... but builder has + 1 , - 1 for the privilege, that makes 8db , I have 10 db -> 2 left?
Isgrimnur wrote:
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Yes, there's a doubloon sitting on Builder. I see what you mean now.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

For the purposes of the Guild Hall, does the 'coffee roaster' count as a small or large production building?
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hunting Lodge with 2 quarry and 2 doubloons.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm broke, so I will pass on building.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

NickAragua wrote:For the purposes of the Guild Hall, does the 'coffee roaster' count as a small or large production building?
Coffee roaster is a large production building. The large ones are the ones that don't explicitly say "small".
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Forest House for 2 Doubloons
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I thought about it, but, chances are, I won't have the time to put a colonist on the guild hall.

So, statue for 6 doubloons (10 - 4 quarries).
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Craftsman for 1 coffee privilege and 1 doubloon.

Produce 2 coffee, 1 sugar, and 3 indigo.