Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Newcastle

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by Newcastle »

has he noticed me? is it possible as a ferret to sneak up around to his backside? Am thinking sneak up behind him and push him away from the mage and toward the group.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

There's a lot of open floor between the door and where they stand against the wall. It will be impossible to get behind him as his back is against the wall, but maybe you can get closer to him without him noticing. It seems unlikely to me, but describe how you are doing it (maybe with help from someone else?) and we'll see how it goes. He does seem quite competent and observant to you though, and a feret isn't really that small to move across open floor unnoticed
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Halwyr can only recall seeing this guy in darkness and shadow. I'll examine the room to see what kinds of shadow he is currently in or close to. I'm considering casting a light spell on my staff and lobbing it at his feet/the mage.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Excellent thought. You notice that he is standing in the shadow being cast by the light from the window on the bed (he's not covered by it, just standing in it). Keep in mind it takes a few seconds to cast a spell.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop speaks to the assassin, "Hold up a second. I'm not sure we want to give away these shrooms for a bag of bones. What's your name assassin?"
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Halwyr intones the words to a light spell as softly as possible while Scoop distracts the assassin with conversation. After casting the spell he tosses his now lit staff at the assassin's feet.

Casting Light:
3,3 + 2 = 8

Crap. Really was hoping for a 10 + on that roll. Ah well, toss the staff at his feet.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Since we can just pocket the light stones we were using and make them dark - I assume there is no reason we would ever get rid of them/turn them off - seeing what Hylwar does, I also pull the light stone from my pocket and toss it at the mage's feet (make sure we cover ALL the shadowy areas - and I'm more concerned about the mage living than dealing with the assassin).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zenn7 wrote:Since we can just pocket the light stones we were using and make them dark - I assume there is no reason we would ever get rid of them/turn them off - seeing what Hylwar does, I also pull the light stone from my pocket and toss it at the mage's feet (make sure we cover ALL the shadowy areas - and I'm more concerned about the mage living than dealing with the assassin).
I assumed the spells end when we rest.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

When the cleric & mage (i really should learn their names) toss their stones, i try to edge to the side of the group and try to edge to the side of his vision. I guess what I am trying to do, is to get into a position to shapeshift quickly (say into a wolf form) and push/topple the assassin away from the mage and towards the group. Hopefully the push will help break this shadowy tendril connection and put the assasin in a vulnerable spot so the group can take advantage of it.

Gonna make a roll here....

ferret to wolf shapeshift to pounce on the shadowy dude: 2D6+2 = [6, 6]+2 = 14

Yeah i think the shapeshift will work at least...
Bayraktar!!!!

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Remus West wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:Since we can just pocket the light stones we were using and make them dark - I assume there is no reason we would ever get rid of them/turn them off - seeing what Hylwar does, I also pull the light stone from my pocket and toss it at the mage's feet (make sure we cover ALL the shadowy areas - and I'm more concerned about the mage living than dealing with the assassin).
I thought they were our only light source, so I really hope not! :pray:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remember, these aren't bright mini suns but rather the equivalent of torches (including the flickering). As for when they go out that's a good question and I will leave it up to you. It says they stay lit in your presence, but at the same time I feel there must be some minor concentration or otherwise you'd have a billion of them ready to go
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Scoop20906 wrote:Scoop speaks to the assassin, "Hold up a second. I'm not sure we want to give away these shrooms for a bag of bones. What's your name assassin?"
" I will carve my name in this old geezer's body if you don't hand me those mushrooms "
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Two light stones have removed most of the shadows in the room. Druid needs to Defy Danger Dex to see if he managed to sneak out of the assassin's line of sight. He gets a +1 for the commotion
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zenn7 wrote:
Remus West wrote:
I thought they were our only light source, so I really hope not! :pray:
Presumably true when we were still in the underground areas. But we also did some traveling on the surface to get back to town. So the light spells probably lapsed.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
Remember, these aren't bright mini suns but rather the equivalent of torches (including the flickering). As for when they go out that's a good question and I will leave it up to you. It says they stay lit in your presence, but at the same time I feel there must be some minor concentration or otherwise you'd have a billion of them ready to go
You wouldn't have a large number because the sheer ability to cart them around and keep ALL of them dark all the time becomes impractical. One torch isn't that bright - 50 torches together is a bit brighter (and presumably more difficult to hide). Personally, I thought the idea of the others being able to use our light spells while we were sleeping was a significant thing, so resting is not so good to me.

Some options:
Time limit - 24 hours, x days, whatever
Can only have 1 active at any time (don't especially like this one). Maybe a limited number (1 per level? 1 per bonus of your spellcasting stat (ie - I get +2 from Wisdom, so I could maintain 2)
First one is free - long as it stays in your presence, lasts forever. Each additional one requires a -1 ongoing to casting to maintain

Personally, I kind of like the last one best, but the first one is pretty good too.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's up to you what limitations there are to your magic other than what's in the description. There's obviously something fueling the light as it goes out when it's not in your presence so there must be some cost for having a lot of them going at once. I know many games have spells ending when the day/night cycle changes - mana refreshes when the sun sets and rises. Shadowrun does that I think, with mages needing to refresh spells at sunrise
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

OK so...i think i am going to do this...i act as if i am a playful ferret. I roll around, scratch my ears, rub my body along the legs of the party (i do my best to look innocent, and just a ferret)...then...I perk up as if something has caught my attention and i start to sniff intently (and discretely if thats possible) around the room, i start to sniff around where we are at, and through my various sniffings, i put my position to launch myself in wolf form at the assassin, in a way where i am able to push him away from the prone mage and towards the party.

That work?
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sure but still need a Defy Danger roll to see if the assassin buys it. With the description that you gave, I think you can use Wisdom
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

IceBear wrote:Sure but still need a Defy Danger roll to see if the assassin buys it. With the description that you gave, I think you can use Wisdom
per your request

ferret sniffing aroudn the assasin BANG SURPRISE Wofl on ya boy: 2D6+2 = [5, 6]+2 = 13

GOD DAMN...i've got some nice rolls.
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The assassin is distracted by the stones of light rolling his way and fails to see the druid sneaking over and transforming into a wolf. Despite your good rolls, I have to give you a choice here. The tendril that is aimed at the old wizard's eye is going to kill him as the assassin thrusts it through his eye in reflex to the attack of the thrown light. You can attack the assassin and (maybe?) hurt him or you can attack the tendril that's about to kill the wizard. Keep in mind, there's still a ton of shadow tendrils wrapped around the wizard's body immobilizing him and keeping him tied to the assassin.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Take out the tendril.
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You leap towards the shadow tendril. Luckily it's solid enough for your wolf teeth to sink into and rip apart before it kills the wizard.

Both the wizard and cleric need a few seconds before they can act, so Scoop or Gorran next.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ugh. On my way home. I'll roll as soon as I get there.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Seeing the opportunity afforded by the others, Gorran launches himself across the room at the assassin.

My understanding is that a take-down/tackle is not viable due to the wizard's proximity. So I assume I'll be going for the assassin's face/head with a knockout punch.

Edit: Hmm... guess it wouldn't hurt to add some more to the assassin's confusion/distraction.

What are you waiting for?: 2D6+2 = [6, 3]+2 = 11

And, assuming some kind of attack will be required.
Hack and Slash: 2D6+2 = [1, 1]+2 = 4
:shock:

So... I get his attention, but it does not appear to be a good thing for me. I'm guessing that even if I don't need the Hack and Slash, IB is going to want to use that roll for something. I would. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Seeing the opportunity afforded by the others, Gorran launches himself across the room at the assassin.

My understanding is that a take-down/tackle is not viable due to the wizard's proximity. So I assume I'll be going for the assassin's face/head with a knockout punch.

Edit: Hmm... guess it wouldn't hurt to add some more to the assassin's confusion/distraction.

What are you waiting for?: 2D6+2 = [6, 3]+2 = 11

And, assuming some kind of attack will be required.
Hack and Slash: 2D6+2 = [1, 1]+2 = 4
:shock:

So... I get his attention, but it does not appear to be a good thing for me. I'm guessing that even if I don't need the Hack and Slash, IB is going to want to use that roll for something. I would. :)
You rush across the room, screaming your challenge at the assassin. Seeing no shadows to duck into, he pulls the wizard's body in front of himself and leaps out the window. There's a sickening crunch as the old wizard cushions the assassin's fall. He looks up, winks, and then then steps into the shadow of the inn, vanishes and reappears out of the shadow of a distant tree, steps back into that shadow and reappears somewhere you can't see.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Yea! We keep the shrooms!

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I was going to say, that i positioned myself right in front and on top of the wizard so the Assassin couldnt do anything more. But guess...thats a moot point.
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Newcastle wrote:I was going to say, that i positioned myself right in front and on top of the wizard so the Assassin couldnt do anything more. But guess...thats a moot point.
There are multiple windows so I don't think you could keep him from one. Plus I have been pulling punches on hard moves lately. Plus, as I was saying, those light spells aren't that bright, so he could step into your shadow and then out of another one and then jump out the window.

I will be honest that even now I haven't been as harsh with that move as you might think. The wizard might still be alive, plus the assassin could have attacked before leaping out the window
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Assuming jumping out the window to get to the wizard quickly is not an option, I race out the inn and down to the wizard to attend to and heal him!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You could, though you'd probably take damage unless you are careful
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

OK gonna do something a bit off the wall....in order to get to the wounded mage ASAP...i transform into a gorilla, grab the cleric, and drop out the window.

transform into a goriall grabbing the cleric and leaping out he window to the cleric: 2D6+2 = [3, 5]+2 = 10

can i do that?
Bayraktar!!!!

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Newcastle wrote:OK gonna do something a bit off the wall....in order to get to the wounded mage ASAP...i transform into a gorilla, grab the cleric, and drop out the window.

transform into a goriall grabbing the cleric and leaping out he window to the cleric: 2D6+2 = [3, 5]+2 = 10

can i do that?
Does being grabbed by a gorilla that then drops out of the window count as "being careful"? :)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Actually, do you even have to keep rolling? Don't you get multiple actions for a good roll? And you had some good rolls. Seems like you may still have an action available. Of course, now you rolled anyway. And it's a good roll...

I'm not sure things were going to end well there no matter what. So I just helped speed things along. :wink: Hopefully Scoop won't hate me, since getting paid seem unlikely at the moment. Although, if he does pull through... And, of course, if he doesn't, then we will need to go through his things to see if we can get a lead on our enemy...

OT
While I do agree that IB has been a bit easy on us (mindflayers... /shudder), I'm also starting to feel like this guy is way too overpowered for us. We can manage light spells, magic missiles, a bit of shape changing and telepathy... This guy can vanish/teleport at will, manipulate shadows into weapons, and who knows what else. Right now I would put this guy several steps above a lich in difficulty. I'm not really sure what we are supposed to do about him. It's become clear we can't fight him.

If we can't address the problem he creates, then I'm done with adventuring. It's bad enough trying to deal with the things we come-upon without having to wonder when he's going to step from a shadow and slit our throats.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well something is happening to him every time he uses the shadow powers that aren't good (he only just got them). But I am not really feeling it either so guess we'll end it here
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

IceBear wrote:Well something is happening to him every time he uses the shadow powers that aren't good (he only just got them). But I am not really feeling it either so guess we'll end it here
Ahhh...i was having a lot of fun playing around in this little world of yours. But, totally understand. Am sure its a process to deal with this stuff. If you ever want to start up will be happy to jump back in.
Bayraktar!!!!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the story line. The problem, and maybe it was just me, is that I found this guy really demoralizing. He just seemed too powerful. It was clear that the only reason we were still alive is because he didn't feel like killing us. A weakness that we could exploit would have offset that. But there wasn't an obvious one. I had thought about asking our wizard about it, or seeing if the cleric's goddess knew something. But I was leaving that for them to chime in with.

IB, you are a hell of a story teller. So please don't think I was knocking you. Or the overall story.

I think that part of the problem here was that you had a story in your head, but we didn't pick up on it very well. On the last adventure it was pretty clear. Here I kept focusing on the wrong thing. I was trying to figure out the "main" plot, but kept failing.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the story line. The problem, and maybe it was just me, is that I found this guy really demoralizing. He just seemed too powerful. It was clear that the only reason we were still alive is because he didn't feel like killing us. A weakness that we could exploit would have offset that. But there wasn't an obvious one. I had thought about asking our wizard about it, or seeing if the cleric's goddess knew something. But I was leaving that for them to chime in with.

IB, you are a hell of a story teller. So please don't think I was knocking you. Or the overall story.

I think that part of the problem here was that you had a story in your head, but we didn't pick up on it very well. On the last adventure it was pretty clear. Here I kept focusing on the wrong thing. I was trying to figure out the "main" plot, but kept failing.
Yeah I understand. I know he seemed bad, and I wanted him to seem that way but he was eventually going to be sucked into the plane of shadow permanently. If we were playing in real time and typing from my phone wasn't such a pain in the ass I could have described things better so he wouldn't have seemed as bad. Another thing to remember in DW monsters tend to have a lot less hp than players, so the assassin was a glass canon (that was why he never stood up to fight).

Anyway, was just getting frustrated with the format and typing so much from my phone.

BTW... One of the Lich's minions helped free the goblins and suggested that their leader dig up a sleeping shadow dragon as a possible ally. As it was disturbed it pulled the Shadow Plane into this world. When Corina sent the tornado to protect you from the assassin, the magical energy interacted with the assassin and with the shadow episode happening at the same time he was infused with shadow powers. I started this adventure knowing nothing more than there was a shadow dragon that was going to cause the plane of shadow to be pulled into this plane as it was woken up by goblins and that you needed to find some mushrooms for an old wizard. The rest of the details came about by dice rolls and speculation. Since TheMix was sure there was more to the goblins than what I said (and I thought he was thinking of the lich I decided that he was involved... Still didn't have all the details figured out
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That's awesome. I knew you had a great story. We didn't do it justice though.

You are right. This method doesn't lend itself to complicated plots and stories. Which is a shame. I never picked up that the goddess sent the tornado. I never guessed it was a dragon. And I didn't think that the goblins were in any way related to the lich. Just too difficult for us to really "sleuth" things. :(

Of course, it could just be that I'm a dumb barbarian. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

BTW, you should keep that outline. That would make a stellar campaign.

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I was picking up on the low HP for the enemies idea when the mindflayer croaked from one Magic Missile spell. Was wondering the wizard could have ko'd the assassin w/a magic missile spell. Didn't suggest that just from fear he wouldn't kill the assassin and the old mage would get croaked as a result.

As for consulting my goddess, from what I have seen so far, not sure telling me the weakness of this guy would be her thing to do (not sure he really falls into her domain). Maybe...

As for the adventure end (for now at least) - very much a bummer as I really enjoy this, but I completely understand. It's got to be a lot of work on IB trying to keep it all moving and never knowing if we are pounding out a million responses in the last 5 minutes since he looked or haven't said a thing in the last 8 hours since his last post. Still and all, fun while it lasted! Would definitely be up for this again if you should decide to try again IB.

For now though, thank you very much IB for letting me in on the fun, and to everyone else for the fun times.