Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by IceBear »

Drow are known to use "lesser" races as slave labor and cannon fodder (which might explain the higher level of training... Or not)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Sorry to hear you are still not up to snuff IB. :(

"Corina has shown me that we will encounter a city full of drow down the 2nd tunnel to the left. The tunnel farthest to the right will be a safe route, but longer. We will have to travel beyond where the vision takes me to get to the mushrooms that way. The other tunnels are of no use to us. As a city of drow would not spring up overnight, I believe they have been there a while, not a new thing, not like the thing driving the goblins to the surface. I feel we should take the safer tunnel. While taking care of a city full of drow would undoubtedly help the region significantly, we lack the ability to deal with a whole city of them."

I'll be leaving shortly and have intermittent access til Sunday night. My opinion is we try the safe route, but if I will go along with the majority vote.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Your goddess shows you the drow city in its decadent age and glory. Then there are war banners amongst the houses as they move against an array mind controlled humanoids. One of the battles shows fierce battle between the drow and mind flayers. When the dust settles, both sides are dead except for the goblins thralls
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

From "2 caves have flowers growing in them, the third one does not" to all this incredible detail. I must have really gotten into Corina's favor of late! :) :)

"It would seem that the drow are largely gone, along with the aboleths. Most all that remains are their goblin thralls. Perhaps, we do want to go this way. In spite of the danger, it may be a chance to find out more about the goblins that we will need to deal with one day (if not today)."

I change my vote, let's go down the dangerous tunnel! With my rolls, I should be L10 by the time we get to the mushrooms, if we can survive my healing. :horse:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Well you did roll a 10+.

I was afraid that people would misunderstand that. The drow city still stands. I was just describing one battle.... of many....in which a large force of goblins were freed. That doesn't mean the drow city isn't full of drow
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I can't figure out any of it.

So. I'm okay with starting down the shorter route. However, I think we should be prepared to retreat.

I also still believe that it doesn't matter. IB isn't going to let us waltz around and finish our quest without a few more complications. I have faith in him.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok, there's a city full of evil drow. A war has broken out between the drow and the mind flayers. One of the recent battles had the drow (with their goblin slaves) fighting the mind flayers (with their mind controlled goblin slaves). When the battle was over the drow and mind flayers had killed each other, leaving the goblin slaves free. They took this opportunity to desert the war.

The shorter route goes through a cavern housing a city of militarized drow that are worried about attacks from mind flayers. Just pointing out that sneaking by might be harder than if they weren't expecting to be attacked by mind flayers
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:Ok, there's a city full of evil drow. A war has broken out between the drow and the mind flayers. One of the recent battles had the drow (with their goblin slaves) fighting the mind flayers (with their mind controlled goblin slaves). When the battle was over the drow and mind flayers had killed each other, leaving the goblin slaves free. They took this opportunity to desert the war.

The shorter route goes through a cavern housing a city of militarized drow that are worried about attacks from mind flayers. Just pointing out that sneaking by might be harder than if they weren't expecting to be attacked by mind flayers
and thus are fleeing for the surface was my interpretation.

I'm for the longer route.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

lets go longer route. Have we rested up? Is everyone healed up and ready to go? All the powerleveling xps distributed and accounted for?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

This is the morning after Scoop tried to abduct the wizard. They are both without rest. I am not sure if the group decided to push on or not
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well... day/night isn't that relevant any more. So if we need to wait another 8 hours to let everyone get up to speed, is fine with me. Better that everyone be ready to go.

As for the goblins, I don't think they are fleeing. They are too organized. And they are clearly raiding parties that return to the Underdark. Something is still guiding them. Maybe not Drow. Maybe not Mindflayers. There were survivors from the war. I think we can rule out mind-control. The goblins we met on the surface acted independently. My gut says that we haven't found the source yet.

But, we should probably try to avoid additional unwanted attention. Since we apparently have enough wanted attention.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I just used the term morning to reflect that you've just finished a rest. If you guys want to rest again, please give me the watch order.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Would it matter if we move down the tunnel some rather than camping close to the last battle?
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's up to you guys. Would only matter if there was an encounter in that tunnel, but it makes more sense to me as the odds of something coming upon you should be less than if you stayed where you are (4 possible encounters vs 1)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think it's a good idea. Especially since it has been mentioned that the tunnels are not uniform in shape. If we can find an area with a small "bubble" off to the side that we can set up in. It also might mean that we could have a small fire without the light being seen from anyone in the cavern.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok, I haven't heard otherwise so I will continue the story with assumptions.

The group enters the rightmost tunnel and moves down the tunnel looking for a safe resting place. About an hour into the journey, the group hears marching feet and rattling chains approaching. You have been trying to keep the light source covered but odds are it has been noticed.

I know that normally you have a scout in front, but given the events of last night and whether or not you can trust each other, in this case you are all together (mainly just because I want to move the story forward and not wait for plans and rolls... Sorry)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

See? Pointless. Stay put, get attacked. Try to find safety, get attacked. Choice is an illusion.

Apparently no rest for the wicked (or the rogue and wizard in this case).

Might as well stop and wait. Both avoidance and ambush seem to be off the table. But at least we won't be surprised.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

But how boring would the story be if there's no conflict. Never said this way wouldn't have encounters... Just safer than going through a drow city. Plus it might not be hostile
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Sooo...

gonna drop into wolf form, well to deal with stuff....

dropping into wolf form becauser of weird noises in a tunnel: 2D6+2 = [3, 1]+2 = 6

yeah...awesome...on the xp train!
Bayraktar!!!!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:Plus it might not be hostile
Riiiiiggggghhhhtttttt...

:wink:

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have nothing against conflict. I just would have preferred a party that was fully ready. I'm not sure how much good our mage and rogue will be... depends on how many negatives they have. Which leaves... me, the cleric, and the druid to carry the fight?

Just going to be rough going if we don't ever manage to get a full rest.

But that's for later.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:I have nothing against conflict. I just would have preferred a party that was fully ready. I'm not sure how much good our mage and rogue will be... depends on how many negatives they have. Which leaves... me, the cleric, and the druid to carry the fight?

Just going to be rough going if we don't ever manage to get a full rest.

But that's for later.
The wizard has a - 1 to Spellcasting. If either him or the thief need to make a roll based on CON they have a -1 modifier added to the roll. And if I didn't make use of the lack of the rest then no consequences for healing Scoop of the mind controlled
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Those penalties aren't that bad. I was thinking they were worse than that.

Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If we are going to wait to meet them then I suggest we have at least one or two party members step out of sight. No need to show our full strength right away.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

"Limited internet access" turned out be NO internet access (at parents and their internet is a usage thing and they had vastly exceeded it inadvertently). Back now though.

As the rogue is best starting from shadows and we wouldn't want the wizard on the front line, put them off to the side, me and the barbarian up front and our "pet wolf" (druid) will probably move a head slightly if he can to find out more detail and how far away they are if we don't already know (depends if they are far enough away he might be able to get significantly closer and still get back to us before they reach him).

Just a general sort of plan.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Remus West wrote:If we are going to wait to meet them then I suggest we have at least one or two party members step out of sight. No need to show our full strength right away.
I don't think such a thing exists. If there were bends in the tunnel, then our light would not have been visible. If we had found a bulge/cave/bump, then we would already have made camp. I think the only way for someone to be out of sight would be for them to retreat back down the tunnel. And then I'd be concerned about how long it would take them to get back.

Our rogue may be able to hide in the shadows at the edge of the light. Speaking of light... are we using torches? Or a light spell? If the latter, then the wizard isn't going to be able to hide. But the druid, in wolf (wait... not sure he made that) would probably be able to slink at the edge, hiding behind the bigger party members.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zenn7 wrote:"Limited internet access" turned out be NO internet access (at parents and their internet is a usage thing and they had vastly exceeded it inadvertently). Back now though.

As the rogue is best starting from shadows and we wouldn't want the wizard on the front line, put them off to the side, me and the barbarian up front and our "pet wolf" (druid) will probably move a head slightly if he can to find out more detail and how far away they are if we don't already know (depends if they are far enough away he might be able to get significantly closer and still get back to us before they reach him).

Just a general sort of plan.
Gives me room to swing my sword. So that works for me.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Newcastle wrote:Sooo...

gonna drop into wolf form, well to deal with stuff....

dropping into wolf form becauser of weird noises in a tunnel: 2D6+2 = [3, 1]+2 = 6

yeah...awesome...on the xp train!
The druid calls on the wolf spirit, but it refuses to obey. You're not sure why, but suspect it wants to see you prove your worth to the pack before it will accept your call.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Scoop hands the druid a torch as he and the wizard move off into the shadows; the wizard tucking his light stone into a hidden pocket.

The sound of marching feet and rattling chains gets louder. The group can smell some sort of smoke and there is a lot of mechanical clanking as well. A voice calls out of the darkness "We can see you surface dweller, and we want no trouble. Let us pass and I'd advise you to turn around and return to the surface"

Moments later a group of two foot tall humanoids with thick white beards, red pointed caps, and pickaxes step forward; deep gnomes or svirfneblin. Behind them comes a mechanical worm with a large drill on its nose which gives off clouds of exhaust, and behind it are several female svirfneblin holding their young accompanied by several old and feeble members of their race.

"The goblins are digging in tunnels that they shouldn't. Looking for a weapon to defend themselves against the drow and flayers. The fools. Those legends spoke of a terrible monster of the dark in those tunnels...not a weapon."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I will step forward.
We gladly accept a peaceful meeting in these dangerous tunnels. We seek some mushrooms known to grow in the depth here. Have you seen any {describe mushrooms}? Might you be able to direct us to their location?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I step forward with the druid, in a non-threatening manner to join the parlay. I am not speaking over Hylwer, but when I get a chance to ask some questions as well..

"What do the legends say specifically? And where are they digging? Also, what can you tell us of the drow, mindflayers, and have you seen any aboleths?"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

They know of the mushrooms and provide directions to the nearest patch. Continue on this path and then take the left most tunnel in the chamber at the end of this tunnel.

They tell you that when the Underdark was formed a massive creature of darkness and shadow was said to have been pulled into this place from the realm of eternal darkness. Unable to find a way back, it slumbers and dreams of its world. These dreams are so powerful that it has been pulling creatures of darkness into this world as the goblins get closer to it. These goblins have been digging to the right of the chamber at the end of this tunnel.

Just before they leave, they tell you where the drow city is and that most of the mind flayers and aboleths are even deeper
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Obviously step aside.

But I do wonder if the goblins are really digging for themselves...

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Let's get the mushroom first so we have it, then we can investigate the goblin digging a bit and see if we can deal with that now or need to come back later.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

After the deep gnomes leave, the group rests (Scoop can level up now and I must have missed when the cleric levelled).

The group then travels along the tunnel for most of another day before reaching another large cavern
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:After the deep gnomes leave, the group rests (Scoop can level up now and I must have missed when the cleric levelled).

The group then travels along the tunnel for most of another day before reaching another large cavern
The cleric leveled in our last rest where Hylwar fixed Scoop.

Is this large cavern = chamber the deep gnomes described?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:
IceBear wrote:After the deep gnomes leave, the group rests (Scoop can level up now and I must have missed when the cleric levelled).

The cleric leveled in our last rest where Hylwar fixed Scoop.

Is this large cavern = chamber the deep gnomes described?
I thought so but couldn't find the post with the details.

Yes, they said to follow the tunnel until it opened into a chamber
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Need me to resend the level-up details?

I vote we go for the mushroom first. Then we check on the goblin digging on our way out.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yes please
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I resent, but the resend is sitting in my outbox.

So...

Taking ability First Aid (makes Cure Light Wounds a rote spell for me).

+1 Wisdom (bringing it up to 17).

New spells in the morning:

Keeping telepathy, adding bless and speak with dead (Cure Light Wounds is a rote now, won't need to list that one separately).

And asked about adding a bond.