Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by IceBear »

Our Cast of Characters
Corvus the human bard played by Chaosraven. Currently with 4xp, and 14hp. Bard playbook
Gorran the human barbarian played by TheMix. Currently with 9xp and 20/24hp. Barbarian playbook
Halwyr the elven wizard played by tru1cy and Remus . Currently with 4xp, and 15/17hp. Wizard playbook
Scoop the human thief played by Scoop20906. Currently with 9xp and 16hp. Thief playbook
Xalthen the human cleric played by RainRaven and Zenn7. Currently with 1xp and 8/14hp. Cleric playbook
Joth the human ranger played by Zenn7. Currently with 8xp and 21hp. Ranger playbook
Feras the elven druid played by Newcastle. Currently with 5xp and 18/19hp. Druid playbook

Dungeon World SRD

Basic Player Moves

Basic classes

Form Fillable Character Sheet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I am going to try to run a Dungeon World http://www.dungeon-world.com/ game here. It'll be play by post using the dice rolling feature on http://invisiblecastle.com/ or http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/ like so:

2d6+2=5

This is pretty much D&D except you roll 2d6 for everything and add the appropriate modifier. On a 10+ you succeed, on a 7-9 you succeed with a catch (generally it'll be a choice of some sort), and less than 6 you failed. Only the players roll, and it's much more narrative that traditional D&D - when combat breaks out there's no rolling for initiative and taking turns...I will explain the situation and you tell me what you do and we roll dice to see if you are successful. For example - a goblin charges at you with a spear, what do you do? - I attempt to block it with my shield (so roll 2D6 and add your strength modifier) or I attempt to dodge out of the way (so roll 2D6 and add your Dex mod) or I attack it with my sword (OK, that means you are hit by the goblin but make your attack roll - 2D6 + STR mod.

To explain how the system works, let's assume that the goblin is charging with the spear and you decide to block it with your shield. If you roll 6 or less, then most likely I would say you fail to block the attack and take damage. On a 7-9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice (for example, I could say, you block the spear attack but the force is so powerful that it'll knock the shield out of your grasp. If you want to keep holding on to your shield you will be knocked prone. So you have a choice of losing your shield or being knocked down). And if you roll a 10+ you block the attack.

Anyway, I'll probably make the typical party of a fighter, cleric, wizard and thief and post them here. If people are interested they can choose a character to run and we can do the finishing touches (bonds to other characters mainly) then.
Last edited by IceBear on Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 123 times in total.
TheMix

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by TheMix »

I'd be interested.

Edit: Actually, to be more precise, I guess I should say "I am interested".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The basic moves and character sheets have been uploaded by the designers here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e31xwvn3nfqmo4n/DW_Sheets.pdf
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Dibs on the Bard!

EDITED WITH CHARACTER

Name: Corvus

Look: Knowing Eyes, Wild Hair, Traveling Clothes, Thin Body

STR 9
DEX 13
CON 8
INT 15
WIS 12
CHA 16

Alignment Good

Race Human
When you first enter a civilized settlement someone who respects
the custom of hospitality to minstrels will take you in as their guest

A fine Lute, a gift from a Noble

Ostentatious Clothes

Worn Bow, Bundle of Arrows, Short Sword

Halfling Pipeleaf (does it come with a pipe?)

ABILITIES:

Arcane Art: Heal 1d8, +1d4 Forward to Damage, Mind Clear of 1 Enchantment, Next assist to aid is +2 instead of +1
Roll +CHA. 10+ Works. 7-9 your spell still works, but you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

Bardic Lore
Choose an area of expertise:
A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual

When you first encounter an important creature, location, or item (your call) covered by
your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully.
The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in

Charming and Open
When you speak frankly with someone, you can ask their player a question from the list below. They must answer it truthfully, then they may ask you a question from the list (which you must answer truthfully).

Whom do you serve?

What do you wish I would do?

How can I get you to ______?

What are you really feeling right now?

What do you most desire?

A Port in the Storm
When you return to a civilized settlement you’ve visited before, tell the GM when you were last here. They’ll tell you how it’s changed since then
Last edited by Chaosraven on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I was just going to limit it to the four basic classes but I am fine with any 4 classes if that's what people want
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

If you're serious, I will absolutely play a Bard in this.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

If you don't mind, look through the bard section in that document and pick answers to the questions (there's usually checkboxes). The bonds sections will have to wait until everyone has a character.

BTW, at the end of a session we see if you have resolved a bond and roleplayed your alignment. You get 1xp for each... So roleplaying alignment and bonds is important. You also get 1xp every time you fail a roll (6 or less). To level up you need xp equal to 7 + current level (so 8xp to reach level 2)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I would like to dive in with the Barbarian!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sure, so we have a bard and a barbarian...I like it.

I found a form fillable character sheet here. If you don't mind, could you use the book that I linked earlier to fill out your character on that sheet and then link it to me (or pm me and we'll figure something out :) )
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Hi Icebear. I'd love to play too. Interested in playing the thief or if thats too close to bard then the cleric. Really would love to be a thief tho. I love picking locks and running from big monsters.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sure, the thief is fine. I believe the bard can heal so we have a healer.

As I want to keep this to a manageable size, I think I'll only take one more player and I'll recommend a wizard just so there'll be a spellcaster that can deal with magical matters should they come up.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I'll post a starting scene while waiting for character sheets and a 4th player.
The quaint village of Renfall survives mostly be farming and logging the nearby Jyln Woods. To the north are the Icewind Peaks, a wild territory inhabited by wild men and wild creatures. On this evening we focus on the Grinning Knave Inn, a modest sized inn just a little on the shady side. Inside, it is very crowded as a bard has arrived and is performing for the locals who are starved for entertainment and news. A huge man sits near the door, and despite the crowded inn, no one comes within the reach of his mighty arms as it is whispered that he is a wild man from the Icewind Peaks. Unnoticed by all, a slim shadowy figure moves through the crowd, looking for items to pilfer and purses to empty. The door opens and in walks an thin elf dressed in strange robe; it is deep purple, almost black and when you looks directly at the robe for a brief instant several colors, some of which you've never seen before, swirl into view. His hair is deep red done up in a top notch; looks like a small fortune was paid for the upkeep
Last edited by IceBear on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I'll take the Wizard

-edit I'll work on my Wizard during lunch.. give me a few
Last edited by tru1cy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Only 4 players? Put me on the alternates list.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

OK. I have found that there's a lot of downtime waiting for people to post so the more players the more downtime. If that's not the case then I will open up for more players
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'd be interested if more space opens up, but no worries if not.
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Tru1cy, your character is here.. Please describe your robe and what makes it so strange and how your hair is stylized.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Will we need a copy of the rulebook, or will the basic moves sheet you listed be sufficient?

Black Lives Matter

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

IceBear wrote:Tru1cy, your character is here.. Please describe your robe and what makes it so strange and how your hair is stylized.

done
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh, I just meant here in response to my edit in the opening scene above :)
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I can't seem to do anything with the sheet.

Can I just give you my "fillin"s?
"Where are you off to?"

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Will we need a copy of the rulebook, or will the basic moves sheet you listed be sufficient?
In all honesty, that free packet they gave out with the characters in it is pretty much all the rules. The rest of it is how GM stuff - how to run a game, GM Moves, and monsters. There's some equipment stuff as well that might be useful to you guys but if you have any questions just ask.

A couple of things about equipment that I noticed some people in various podcasts took a while to grasp. As this is narrative a lot of the equipment is somewhat free form. For example, Tru1cy's wizard has a bag of books with 5 uses. Later on you come upon some dwarven writing and let's assume no one in the group can speak dwarven. Truc1y could go "I actually have an Elven to Dwarvish translation guide in my books". When he does that he marks off one use of the bag of books, but notes that he has that specific book in his inventory. The one I kept seeing people forget about is adventuring gear.
Adventuring Gear 5 uses, 20 coins, 1 weight
Adventuring gear is a collection of useful mundane items such as chalk, poles, spikes, ropes, etc. When you rummage through your adventuring gear for some useful mundane item, you find what you need and mark off a use.
So, if you come across a pit and want to climb down you have a rope by marking off a use. Dark? Hey, I have some torches in here. etc
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Let me get home from work and I will create my character.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Here goes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gnqa9lqs2zs6 ... n.pdf?dl=0

Seems to work. Not ideal, but the PDF editor that Google gave me seemed to have limited options.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Chaosraven wrote:I can't seem to do anything with the sheet.

Can I just give you my "fillin"s?
Sure can - truc1y just pmed me with his stats and choices. The free packet, unfortunately isn't editable pdf.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

U have PC PM :)
"Where are you off to?"

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

IceBear wrote:Oh, I just meant here in response to my edit in the opening scene above :)

doh.. okay

Robes are deep purple almost black and when someone looks directly at the robe it appears various colors appear at random for a brief instant and the hair is deep red done up in a top notch. Looks like a small fortune was paid for the upkeep
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Here goes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gnqa9lqs2zs6 ... n.pdf?dl=0

Seems to work. Not ideal, but the PDF editor that Google gave me seemed to have limited options.
I will edit it up and reload. BTW, for Load when it says +STR it means your bonus not the full score like it did with hitpoints.

Also, now that we have a group take a look at the bonds listed for your character and fill in at least one. This will mean that you already know that person. For example, Gorran could write down for his bond "Halwyr is puny and foolish, but amusing to me." If at some point in the game Halwyr does something to resolve that bond - maybe he proves to Gorran that he's not puny and foolish, you will gain 1xp and you then take a new bond (a new bond can be anything...the ones on the sheet are just starting ideas)
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I will add a bond once the PC names are listed.... I assume we at least no one person in the tavern?

Corvus will play an important role in the events to
come. I have foreseen it!
Last edited by tru1cy on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

This is not my first adventure with _______________

Fillin the Barbarians name, and I will take A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual as my Bardic Lore
(think of me as the Barbarians sidekick/ally)

I have edited my first post in this thread with the rest of my character info thus far, and made a copy/pastable link in my profile under Location (so any of my posts will bring me here). And sent myself a list of the basic actions from that pdf to my MSG box.

Corvus is ready to roll!
Last edited by Chaosraven on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where are you off to?"

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well now.

I just gave IB possible bonds with the other two and you go and do this. :)

Okay, the bard considers me his side kick. I consider him an enigma. I don't understand most of the songs he sings. He has tried on many occasions to explain the finer points of music, but I think it all sounds like noise. My songs are chants, done to drumming. I cannot see any purpose of what he does. Nor do I see how his music and singing is useful. I've tried to encourage him to pick up a real weapon, but have not yet had any success.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tru1cy wrote:I will add a bond once the PC names are listed.... I assume we at least no one person in the tavern?
TheMix just suggested that at least he and you just arrived in town as caravan guards. If you are ok with that you can make a bond with Gorran (he thinks you are puny and foolish). He suggested that he knows the thief and CR just suggested that he knows Gorran as well, so if it's ok with all of you, let's assume that you all just arrived in town as caravan guards
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Doh! We didn't just use one of the "original" tropes, did we? :shock:

:D

Black Lives Matter

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

So I was part of the Caravan Guard as well and that last job was miserable. No opportunities for loot. I need to find a better line of work [grumble grumble].

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

TheMix wrote:Well now.

Okay, the bard considers me his side kick. I consider him an enigma. I don't understand most of the songs he sings. He has tried on many occasions to explain the finer points of music, but I think it all sounds like noise. My songs are chants, done to drumming. I cannot see any purpose of what he does. Nor do I see how his music and singing is useful. I've tried to encourage him to pick up a real weapon, but have not yet had any success.
No, I consider you my ALLY. You consider me your sidekick :D

Must I explain this in song yet again?

Ok...
"Where are you off to?"

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

BARMAID! ALE!!!!

Black Lives Matter

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

We just finished a Caravan Guard job, working together?
"Where are you off to?"

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Chaosraven wrote:
TheMix wrote:Well now.

No, I consider you my ALLY. You consider me your sidekick :D

Must I explain this in song yet again?

Ok...
Just keep their attention off their purses please.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We were all with the caravan. Not necessarily working together. I suggested that I knew the wizard from the caravan. Though I still don't understand why the caravan owners wasted time with him. Was he going to throw a book at any robbers?

I was obviously muscle. I assumed that the wizard was likewise hired for support.

I will leave it up to the others to identify their roles (passengers, guards, entertainment, etc).

Black Lives Matter

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

If this is a NEW location for us, I should have a Patron willing to give us housing (HumanBard).

I will have my hat out near my performance, and take requests.
"Where are you off to?"