Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:Oh. Thanks? </looks warily around for the other shoe>

So... that would mean that the "real" mission is the goblins. Which is fine since that's what some of us were already thinking.
Not really. It's the mushrooms. As I don't really have anything planned I am letting the dice and story tell me what happens next. Since the story said that you were next to the mushrooms once the mind flayer was dead then nothing stopping you from getting to them. The goblins are a side story
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Assuming IB is continuing for now, I vote we go check out the goblins while we are here.

On players rolling vs IB telling us to roll:

For spellcasting, as we are taking a specific action to cast a spell, I assume we would always roll for the casting. For Hack & Slash/Volley, kind of assume the same, but I suppose there are occasions we might not (such as Gorran could have ended up needing to make a H&S roll with this mind flayer encounter by his words w/o necessarily knowing it in advance).

The Spout Lore/Discern Realities/Defy Danger are examples of things I think we would be waiting on you to tell us for.

Just throwing out thoughts to see if I am on the same page as everyone else...
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Maybe instead of everybody playing 1 person, have 2-3 people play each player (ideally, people who are available at different times - like Mix and I - I can usually get a post or 2 in the morning before he gets on, he's got the day covered, and I can get back on in the evening).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:Assuming IB is continuing for now, I vote we go check out the goblins while we are here.

On players rolling vs IB telling us to roll:

For spellcasting, as we are taking a specific action to cast a spell, I assume we would always roll for the casting. For Hack & Slash/Volley, kind of assume the same, but I suppose there are occasions we might not (such as Gorran could have ended up needing to make a H&S roll with this mind flayer encounter by his words w/o necessarily knowing it in advance).

The Spout Lore/Discern Realities/Defy Danger are examples of things I think we would be waiting on you to tell us for.

Just throwing out thoughts to see if I am on the same page as everyone else...
As I suggested before, if you think I will ask you for a roll then go ahead and include it but just give as much detail as to what you are doing first because it could impact the rolls. As you suggest, if you say I pray to Corina for healing power and touch Gorran we're going to need a Spellcasting roll for your Cure Wounds spell. However, if I say "Goblins fire arrows at you, what do you do?" and you say "I draw my bow and fire back" I will say "You take an arrow for 1d6 damage, now roll Volley to shoot back". If you say, "I roll behind cover and shoot back" I would probably say "Roll Deft Danger - Dex" to avoid the arrows, and then depending on the roll then ask for a Volley. Again, you can probably guess what I will ask and roll in advance to save time, but I guess what I am trying to say is the description of what you are doing is more important than someone just going "I Hack and Slash the goblin". The book makes a point of saying not to do that and we have been doing that mainly for speed purposes so I want to try to get back to doing it as we would if we were playing at a table. I think it's mostly going to impact Hack and Slash, but it might impact other moves too. It also might encourage you to describe your actions without trying to make it fit a move (which is a good thing)
Last edited by IceBear on Wed May 27, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And it obviously works best when the players actually read the comments... :oops:

I also agree with the "let's check out the goblins" comment. Something doesn't sit right. Of course, maybe we got lucky and the mindflayer was the reason the goblins were raiding... I don't believe that, but, hey, you never know.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As for the goblin, the Telepathy spell and questioning reveals what I have already said.

The goblins found themselves freed from drow and mind flayer slavery. Decided to join forces and freed some of their brothers when the opportunity presented itself. One of the goblins, the most fiercest warrior, took control of the goblins and remembering legends of a powerful creature in this part of the Underdark, decided to try and find it and offer to worship it in exchange for protection. They also moved up to the surface to put some distance from the drow and mind flayers while they raided for food and supplies. They found some human bandits who offered to scout and provide intelligence for them
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:As for the goblin, the Telepathy spell and questioning reveals what I have already said.

The goblins found themselves freed from drow and mind flayer slavery. Decided to join forces and freed some of their brothers when the opportunity presented itself. One of the goblins, the most fiercest warrior, took control of the goblins and remembering legends of a powerful creature in this part of the Underdark, decided to try and find it and offer to worship it in exchange for protection. They also moved up to the surface to put some distance from the drow and mind flayers while they raided for food and supplies. They found some human bandits who offered to scout and provide intelligence for them
I was hoping to pick images from his mind of the area they are digging and other type details. Figured it was a long shot.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sure you get enough information that you would recognize landmarks, but right now nothing stands out
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

We should scout the goblins more and make sure we put the bandits out of business (anybody working with goblins to destroy goodly people of this area needs to be stopped... HARD).

Got it, will endeavor to focus on description rather than the meta-action. :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

As for the goblins...

Gorran and Xalthen vote yes.

Thinking Hylwar is in favor (he's trying to interrogate the goblins).

Feras was interested in stopping the goblins before we even came down here.

Think we have enough majority to say we are going to check out the goblins now.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

If the Goblins have anything I want it. This trip had been loot free so far!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Scoop20906 wrote:If the Goblins have anything I want it. This trip had been loot free so far!
:D

There was a bit of gold... 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Gold is nice I agree but I have my mind on magical jewels. Even a one shot staff would be fun to play with. Or an invisibly cloak.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

LOOT!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm also beginning to think I'm trying too hard. And IB is trying to slap me down politely, but I'm not getting it.

I think we need to make sure that they goblin rabble-rouser is silenced. He seems to be a troublemaker (for the surface dwellers in the area).

I'm not sure that the bandits will be a problem if the goblins are dealt with.

I would also like to see the area where they were digging. I'm not a miner, but I would like to see if there is any way that we can close it back up a bit. Maybe a friendly goddess will have an idea. :ninja:

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Keep in mind that the old wizard wanted the mushrooms asap. Since no one bothered to try and figure out what it was for.... The wizard was REALLY old and feeble (to the point that him dropping dead from old age would be less surprising than him waking up in the morning), and some of you have heard that these mushrooms could be used in a potion of youth
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

(Psst... I haven't mapped any of this crap out. Stop pushing me into trying to invent a complicated story that doesn't exist. Jackasses.)

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Er... Sounds like this problem is all taken care of for the time being. Perhaps we should get the mushrooms back and then figure out whether to come back here once things have settled down a bit, or go looking for the lich's phylactery.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:(Psst... I haven't mapped any of this crap out. Stop pushing me into trying to invent a complicated story that doesn't exist. Jackasses.)
Oh I am listening to the paranoid delusions of the players and figuring out ways to make it fit in the story so they feel justified and I seem smart... Or maybe I will ignore it completely... Who knows. Maybe the Lich's agents freed the goblins and influenced their leader in an attempt to get their hands on a super weapon. Maybe the old wizard is really an agent of the lich and the potion will restore the lich. I mean, how well do you really know him and the cleric?
Last edited by IceBear on Wed May 27, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm guessing that we get no gold at all if the wizard drops dead before we get back?

And you only have yourself to blame for not giving Scoop loot. Say.... did anyone search the body of the mindflayer back there?

Apparently we are giving you way too much credit this time for being clever. Despite the fact that you've mentioned that you don't have any of this mapped out... :doh:

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

See my edit above.

The mind flayer only had its robe and a couple of goblin sized brains in a bag
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

BAH, we wouldn't want to disappoint the old wizard then. What kind of heros would we be. I say we had back. Holes suck anyway.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Does the cleric know what the mushrooms are for? (asks the cleric...)

If not, now that we have them, perhaps we could attempt to devise what their value might be.

As to the goblins...

"I follow Corina's desires in regards to these goblins. Corina guide me... is it your will that I deal with the goblins now?"
FYI: Gorran and Hylwar, you are no longer blessed (fight's over), and I am no longer under ongoing spellcasting penalties (drat... missed XP because of that! :p )
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You sense your goddess is conflicted. On one hand the threat to life from what the goblins are doing needs to be stopped but restoring life to a friend of one of her clerics is a noble goal
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lets run the mushrooms back to the wizard, alert the local population to the raiding goblin issue and if need be we can return and dispose of the goblin leader.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Actually I'd like to out of these caves soon. We are passing back the cave with the waterfall on the way out and I am concerned it might try to lure us again. It's dangerous.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

"Corina is conflicted. But her guidance suggests to me that we probably should return to the wizard. I fear my friend may not make it long enough for us to deal with the goblins now. But we must return to deal with this goblin threat promptly. I feel that what they are digging for could prove to be a great threat to the area!"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It takes you about 5 days to make it back to Renfall (but manage to top up your supplies from the wagon). There are many armed militia on the walls of the village when you return and you hear about many goblin raids while you were gone. Interestingly, there still hasn't been another quake.

You return to the Grinning Knave Inn and move to the old wizard's room to return the mushroom. As you approach the door you see his magical owl pinned to the door with a shadowy dagger.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Halwyr examines the owl without touching anything and motions for Scoop to examine the door/check the room.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Remus West wrote:Halwyr examines the owl without touching anything and motions for Scoop to examine the door/check the room.
The magical owl is no longer animated by whatever magic gave it life. Tendrils of shadow emanate from the dagger and as you lean in closer to examine it they snap towards the warmth of life coming from you. You snap your face back but it can't reach you.

Scoop sees nothing obvious about the door, though he can hear tapping on the other side of the door and some sound like a muffled groan
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

"Quickly, get the door open and let us check on the mage!"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm waiting on one of you. I don't deal with ensorcelled daggers.

However, should it be desired, I will happily kick the door open. I would just be concerned that the wizard might be on the other side of the door.

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I reach out to Corina for guidance on the dagger. This seems unnatural, want to restore this normal and get to the mage. If she does not have any advice on how to deal with the dagger, can she let us know if it is at least safe to open the door and ignore the dagger for now?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I'm here, reading and keepig up.

Can a ferret, mouse or rat pass through crack of the doorway?

if so...gonna transform into one of those and scurry under the door

actually gonna do a ferret so cat wont maul me...

ferret time to check out the room with the dead owl on its door: 2D6+2 = [5, 3]+2 = 10

once through i see what's there...if no one threatening is in there, i look at the door carefully and then (if the cleric oks it, since we're proabbly still telepathically connected), i open the door for everyone else. Carefully entailing if there are an obvious traps).
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Halwyr, feeling a sense of urgency to reach the mage, slaps the dagger from the door with his staff and enters the room calling for the cleric to be prepared to assist the ancient man.

(I'm not missing out on his knowledge due to being over cautious, damn it. Dude can teach me a LOT!)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:I reach out to Corina for guidance on the dagger. This seems unnatural, want to restore this normal and get to the mage. If she does not have any advice on how to deal with the dagger, can she let us know if it is at least safe to open the door and ignore the dagger for now?
I don't feel this is really in the territory of secrets or restoration (at least not enough for her to give you divine guidance). With the amount you've been studying the door and the dagger it would trigger a Discern Realities roll if you want
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As the druid changes into a ferret, the wizard slaps down the dagger and then pushes the door open.

Standing inside, impatiently tapping his foot, is the shadowy assassin from the Underdark. He is covered in tendrils of shadow which come off of him and are wrapped around the old wizard. Tendrils of the shadow stuff are around the old wizard's mouth and a sharpened tendril looks ready to plunge into his eye.

"Finally," he sighs. "I thought you were going to stand outside the door all day. I am glad you made it back safe and sound... I so hate finding new playmates."

He slips some paper into his shadowy belt. "Thanks for asking for the old man here to look into this info for my master. Now hand me those mushrooms and I'll let him live for another day...if his heart can take it"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

6:08 PM for the post about the owl on the door, 5:35 AM before we go in. He was waiting all day! :lol:

The ferret could keep going in, get behind this guy and attack? Where's Scoop (sneak attack?) Chance of Gorran dive tackling or something to otherwise get him away from the wizard?

If it's not too late for that discern realities...
Spoiler:
discern realities: 2D6+2 = [1, 4]+2 = 7 What here is not what it appears to be?
If all of that is out of the question, who has the mushrooms and how many do we have? Could we give him some and secretly keep some for the mage?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Everything is as it appears (regarding the door).

There were 4 mushrooms. You guys can decide who have them.

As all these options go through your head, the assassin makes a tut tut sound and the tendrils around the wizard's face gets tighter and the one near his eye lengthens
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I am thinking I would have at least 1 mushroom (I'm the mage's friend and the guide for getting these).

I suspect Hylwar might have one to study and Scoop might have one because he's not going to trust them all to me, fear he wouldn't get paid.

Can't imagine Feras would want one (unless he wanted one for study), doubting the barbarian would have one. Since we did not declare before, just thinking logically how this might have gone down.

Unless someone has a better plan, I will give my 2 mushrooms to Gorran to give him - if Gorran should happen to take advantage of the opportunity to get close the assassin and do something rash... :o