Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Remus West

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by Remus West »

Lets get the mushrooms then investigate the goblins.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

let's shroom!
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

From the left you hear the sound of running feet, and suddenly, out of the darkness comes a goblin. It's running pell mell and has a terrified look on its face. It is running right at the group
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:From the left you hear the sound of running feet, and suddenly, out of the darkness comes a goblin. It's running pell mell and has a terrified look on its face. It is running right at the group
Halwyr motions to the thief.
Quickly, catch it. It could give us a lot of information to prepare for what we are to find ahead.
Gorran, ready yourself for some action I suspect.

Halwyr then steps back a little and readies a magic missile to greet whatever is chasing the goblin.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

In your head you hear a sinister voice "My, my, I thought I was going to have a poor meal eating goblin brain, but yours is delicious with magical energies. A wonderful meal indeed"
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:In your head you hear a sinister voice "My, my, I thought I was going to have a poor meal eating goblin brain, but yours is delicious with magical energies. A wonderful meal indeed"
Gentlemen, be ready to go hard and fast. Mindflayer headed our way.

Internally I review my readings and lessons on Mindflayers and the best methods for combating them.
Spoiler:
Spout Lore regarding Mindflayers
1,6 + 2 = 9
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

They are powerful spellcasters, can stun large groups of people with their mind blasts, extract someone's brain with the tentacles on their face if they get close enough, and often fly magically. Their intellect, and ego, is off the charts
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I reflect on the information the mage gave me about the underdark, try to recall any tips for fighting Mind Flayers...
Do we have any idea how far away it/they are? Any info about quantity?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Remus West wrote:
IceBear wrote:From the left you hear the sound of running feet, and suddenly, out of the darkness comes a goblin. It's running pell mell and has a terrified look on its face. It is running right at the group
Quickly, catch it. It could give us a lot of information to prepare for what we are to find ahead.

Halwyr then steps back a little and readies a magic missile to greet whatever is chasing the goblin.
Scoop swiftly gets up and moves into the path of the fleeing goblin.

Scoop attempts to capture and disable the goblin: 2D6+2 = [6, 3]+2 = 11

As the Goblin sprints towards the group, Scoop trips up the goblin and slips a daggers to his throat whispering, "Not a sound." and maneuvers the goblin into a shadowy alcove.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Zenn7 wrote:I reflect on the information the mage gave me about the underdark, try to recall any tips for fighting Mind Flayers...
Do we have any idea how far away it/they are? Any info about quantity?
The only thing you have heard is possibly hamstringing comrades when you run away. Seriously, there's really no known This Strategy will work. I have given you info on them which can be used.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Remus West wrote:

Scoop swiftly gets up and moves into the path of the fleeing goblin.

Scoop attempts to capture and disable the goblin: 2D6+2 = [6, 3]+2 = 11

As the Goblin sprints towards the group, Scoop trips up the goblin and slips a daggers to his throat whispering, "Not a sound." and maneuvers the goblin into a shadowy alcove.
It happens just like you say. . The goblin passes out in fear
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop ties up and gags the goblins leaving him in an unseen and "safe" spot. Scoop then moves to a hidden spot from which to react to the goblin's pursuers.

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Scoop20906 wrote:Scoop ties up and gags the goblins leaving him in an unseen and "safe" spot. Scoop then moves to a hidden spot from which to react to the goblin's pursuers.
You're not going to have time for that I'm afraid. I haven't hit you all with a mind blast yet because I am waiting for some of the others to say what they're doing, but by the time you caught the goblin the attack is moments away
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ok. Well Scoop was caught in this action and not prepared.

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I assume we are all fully healed after all the resting.

"Corina, bestow your gracious blessings upon Gorran that he may better smite the evil aberrations approaching us!" Xalthen moves up to support Gorran in meeting the oncoming threat.
Woot... I didn't get the barbarian fried in holy fire! :)

Bless: Your deity smiles upon a combatant of your choice. They take +1 ongoing so long as battle continues and they stand and fight. While this spell is ongoing you take -1 to cast a spell.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:I have given you info on them which can be used.
IceBear wrote:They are powerful spellcasters, can stun large groups of people with their mind blasts, extract someone's brain with the tentacles on their face if they get close enough, and often fly magically. Their intellect, and ego, is off the charts
powerful spellcasters... not useful
stun large groups of people with their mind blasts... not useful
extract someone's brain... not useful
fly magically... not useful
intellect... not useful

ego... useful?

That's the only hint(?) that stood out for me. I'm just not sure how to use it. So I guess I gamble...

Gorran grasps his sword and strides out into the cavern. "Will you face me creature? Or will you cower in fear behind your mind tricks?"

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

hmm, what form to use what form to use.....bear, wolf, cobra, rhino...hmm rhino...interesting....

IB - can i drop into wolf form or is hte pack still unhappy w/ me?
Bayraktar!!!!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:
IceBear wrote:I have given you info on them which can be used.
IceBear wrote:They are powerful spellcasters, can stun large groups of people with their mind blasts, extract someone's brain with the tentacles on their face if they get close enough, and often fly magically. Their intellect, and ego, is off the charts
powerful spellcasters... not useful
stun large groups of people with their mind blasts... not useful
extract someone's brain... not useful
fly magically... not useful
intellect... not useful

ego... useful?

That's the only hint(?) that stood out for me. I'm just not sure how to use it. So I guess I gamble...

Gorran grasps his sword and strides out into the cavern. "Will you face me creature? Or will you cower in fear behind your mind tricks?"
If you spread out maybe it can't stun you all at once..that's useful.

Ok that sounds like your move where you get things to attack you, so roll that and give yourself a +2 bonus (+1 for the bless and +1 for its ego)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Newcastle wrote:hmm, what form to use what form to use.....bear, wolf, cobra, rhino...hmm rhino...interesting....

IB - can i drop into wolf form or is hte pack still unhappy w/ me?
Enough time has gone by that you can attempt it again
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm... Okay. I didn't get that at all from your statement. But I'm game. I'm guessing I'm in front, center. So I'll let them fan out to the sides.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Myself and the Cleric are likely to be the main targets of the thing's initial attack spread from us to create room for counters.

IB - can I counter a mind blast with an ongoing spell using spell defense or does that only impact physical damage? If it with the mind blast I will scoop up a rock and cast light on it to be prepared to sacrifice a spell without putting us into pitch black.

5,5 + 2= 10
I'm not feeling like boosting that by taking extra attention/forgetting a spell/taking a -1 is a good idea so we will just run with the 10.

Also, I want to be sure I know where the flask of Abolth goop is and have it handy for flinging at the Mindflayer.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

droppping into bear form...

sooo...my first plan is to charge these bastards and get to the other side of em; primarily to help spread us out and to hopefully create some chaos amongst them.

andddd....

bear form says sup to mind flayers: 2D6+2 = [2, 3]+2 = 7

ruroh...looks like i just jumped on the xp train....
Bayraktar!!!!

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Remus West wrote:Myself and the Cleric are likely to be the main targets of the thing's initial attack spread from us to create room for counters.
The curse of intelligence...

OK, I think I won't support the barbarian then. I'll support the party by standing away from them and looking for any loose targets to engage and/or injured people to heal.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I can bless more than 1 person at a time right? I'd just have a cumulative ongoing spellcasting penalty? (Thinking of blessing the mage as well).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Going into the office today so posting will be sporadic or nonexistent.

Some points:

- a 7 is a success
- correct, you can bless as many as you want but you'll be taking a -1 each time
- the mind blast attack isn't magical in nature, but psionic. That said I would allow spell defence to give a +1 to the defence roll.
- BTW this is what I am thinking of using for the mind blast:

When you are caught in a mind flayer's mind blast roll + Int.
10+ you steel your mind from the effects
7-9 you mostly protect yourself. Choose one:
- you suffer a -1 penalty to rolls until the encounter ends as you are dazed
- one of your limbs stops working (GM's choice) until the end of the encounter. This could make some actions impossible or give you penalties to the roll
- you are stunned for a few moments

6- you are stunned for a few minutes
Last edited by IceBear on Wed May 27, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

"Corina, grant your gracious blessings upon Hylwar that he too might smite the oncoming horrid aberrations!"
Spoiler:
Cast Bless on Hylwar (Wis): 2D6+1 = [6, 4]+1 = 11
Corina smiles upon you people today!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

1,4 + 4 = 9
Sigh. I'll take the -1 for the encounter I suppose. Return fire with a magic missile.
3,6 + 1 = 10
Double damage - unwanted attention.

Halwyr grits his teeth as the blast of the Flayer assaults his mind and shouts out the words to create a huge knife of energy that flies through the air to strike the Illithid.
Damage: 3,2 = 5 Doubled is 10 damage!

Stay out of my head, foul beast.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

But the mind flayer hasn't attacked yet or even revealed itself.

Your magic missiles streak out into the darkness and suddenly a mind flayer falls from the air above you, dead.

Travelling on another hour you find some of the mushrooms and pick them
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:But the mind flayer hasn't attacked yet or even revealed itself.

Your magic missiles streak out into the darkness and suddenly a mind flayer falls from the air above you, dead.

Travelling on another hour you find some of the mushrooms and pick them
I figured you were waiting on us. If you need to withhold my rolls/action feel free. Mind Flayers make me paranoid though. :ninja:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I was waiting for TheMix to roll his Come and get it to see if he managed to get the mind flayer on him and waiting for the group to give me details on spreading out so I didn't stun you all at once, but it's ok. Difficult to time everything in this format
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I didn't use that ability. I assumed that I wouldn't be able to do that if I don't have visibility on the target yet. I was just going after it's ego.

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I was going to just have it work regardless (based ob the fiction and roleplaying) but I did ask for the roll as well just to see if the bonus damage would kick in. Like I tried to say earlier, we've been playing it wrong because of play by post. You're not supposed to say "I'm going to use my get over here move", but describe what you are doing and then the GM decides if that triggers a move. In this case I figured it would trigger your move. Anyway, I think I am just burnt out on this format as I am finding I am either telling people they can't do something because it's out of time sequence or some of the stuff that should happen don't for the same reason. Think it would be better to run with one character run by whomever posts next. That way no timing issues due to the format
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, I was going to just have it work regardless (based ob the fiction and roleplaying) but I did ask for the roll as well just to see if the bonus damage would kick in. Like I tried to say earlier, we've been playing it wrong because of play by post. You're not supposed to say "I'm going to use my get over here move", but describe what you are doing and then the GM decides if that triggers a move. In this case I figured it would trigger your move. Anyway, I think I am just burnt out on this format as I am finding I am either telling people they can't do something because it's out of time sequence or some of the stuff that should happen don't for the same reason. Think it would be better to run with one character run by whomever posts next. That way no timing issues due to the format
Doh. Sorry. I missed this part:
Ok that sounds like your move where you get things to attack you, so roll that and give yourself a +2 bonus (+1 for the bless and +1 for its ego)
What are you waiting for?: 2D6+4 = [6, 3]+4 = 13

Edit: Just to be clear. This was my fault. I tend to skim the posts when I get behind. I have no problem with you asking for the roll. I apparently just have problems with reading comprehension.
Last edited by TheMix on Wed May 27, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:Think it would be better to run with one character run by whomever posts next. That way no timing issues due to the format
I will bow out then and allow one of the original players to continue. If you find the desire to add more in then feel free to recall me. Thanks for running this. I've really enjoyed it. :D
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

No need to bow out. I wrote that poorly. What I meant was if I run another DW game like this rather than recruit players on a one to one bssis, I think it might be better to just make one or two characters and open up the playing of those characters to everyone. That way there should be less timing issues (though I could see some simultaneous posts)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Interesting idea. Considering how much effort we probably all spend resisting the urge to suggest actions from our zombie players... Or characters that have temporarily MIA players.

Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:No need to bow out. I wrote that poorly. What I meant was if I run another DW game like this rather than recruit players on a one to one bssis, I think it might be better to just make one or two characters and open up the playing of those characters to everyone. That way there should be less timing issues (though I could see some simultaneous posts)
In that case I will keep playing. :D

So.....we have the mushrooms. We need to investigate the goblins. We did have the one Scoop captured. Is it too late to interrogate it? Does telepathy allow me to read its thoughts? If so I will cast telepathy on it and then wake it and then we can proceed to question it regarding it's tribe's activities.

4,5 + 2 = 11 Telepathy on Goblin.
I will sit off to the side and read its thoughts as it is asked the questions.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So.....we have the mushrooms.
Pretty sure we don't. I believe that IB was being facetious.

We still have a (nasty) fight ahead of us with the mindflayer. One thing that I've learned, IB doesn't believe in "easy".

Black Lives Matter

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

No, the mind flayer is dead and you have the mushroom. I decided to go with the rolls rather than roll back time and actions again
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh. Thanks? </looks warily around for the other shoe>

So... that would mean that the "real" mission is the goblins. Which is fine since that's what some of us were already thinking.

Black Lives Matter