Dungeon World Play by Post

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Play by Post

Post by IceBear »

TheMix wrote:That's awesome. I knew you had a great story. We didn't do it justice though.

You are right. This method doesn't lend itself to complicated plots and stories. Which is a shame. I never picked up that the goddess sent the tornado. I never guessed it was a dragon. And I didn't think that the goblins were in any way related to the lich. Just too difficult for us to really "sleuth" things. :(

Of course, it could just be that I'm a dumb barbarian. :wink:
Well part of the problem was between the time I sent the tornado and you found the clearing the cleric became a zombie so was hard to drop the divine hints. If someone had taken the time to try to clear the trees (would have been hard unless the druid became an elephant or something) they might have seen that the ground was marked with an etching like the cleric's holy symbol. But then some bad rolls happened and time became an issue.

I was frustrated with not being able to tell all the details I had meant to, but was hoping to get other opportunities to spin it back, but as I mentioned, typing from the phone and in a rush meant I wasn't taking the time to type out all the details that I would have done if I was talking

What did you think was going on with the goblins?Honestly I just decided that they were fleeing a war in the Underdark but you seemed sure there was more to it, so I assumed you meant the lich so I was planning on running with it
Last edited by IceBear on Fri May 29, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
TheMix wrote:That's awesome. I knew you had a great story. We didn't do it justice though.

You are right. This method doesn't lend itself to complicated plots and stories. Which is a shame. I never picked up that the goddess sent the tornado. I never guessed it was a dragon. And I didn't think that the goblins were in any way related to the lich. Just too difficult for us to really "sleuth" things. :(

Of course, it could just be that I'm a dumb barbarian. :wink:
Well part of the problem was between the time I sent the tornado and you found the clearing the cleric became a zombie so was hard to drop the divine hints. If someone had taken the time to try to clear the trees (would have been hard unless the druid became an elephant or something) they might have seen that the ground was marked with an etching like the cleric's holy symbol. But then some bad rolls happened and time became an issue.

I was frustrated with not being able to tell all the details I had meant to, but was hoping to get other opportunities to spin it back, but as I mentioned, typing from the phone and in a rush meant I wasn't taking the time to type out all the details that I would have done if I was talking
Then again, maybe Corina would have told me about his weaknesses... (WOW - she sent a freaking tornado down to defend us!)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

IceBear wrote:I was frustrated with not being able to tell all the details I had meant to
I can imagine.
IceBear wrote:What did you think was going on with the goblins?Honestly I just decided that they were fleeing a war in the Underdark but you seemed sure there was more to it, so I assumed you meant the lich so I was planning on running with it
Apparently I read too much into earlier comments. But there seemed to be a lot of emphasis put on how well organized and trained they were. And the mark on the faces. Plus, they seemed to have raiding parties with objectives. Basically, they didn't behave like I expected goblins to behave. So the conclusion was that something was directing them. "Something" being non-goblin.

As awesome as the story turned out to be, we just don't seem very adept at getting at it without exposition from you. I'm think that more straightforward would work better. Like the wizard coming in and saying "I need you to get these mushrooms for me, but be aware that there was a war between drow and mindflayers that the goblins are escaping. So watch out for roving bands of goblins." Obviously it's spoon feeding us, but it means that we can focus on the mission without trying to second guess your cleverness.2

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, probably. I was acting like I would if we were in person, but in this format less is more.

Well, the goblins were well trained by the drow to fight in their wars. Most of them were in an elite force (the white hand).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Really enjoyed this but as someone who had to bow out of running an Arkham game mid-run I can certainly understand as that was much less work than this had to have been. Thank you for the time and effort.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As for the lich, the original heroes took the phylactery with them but couldn't find a way to destroy it (I hadn't decided on what was going to be the Mt Doom equivalent yet). When they realized they couldn't destroy it, they locked it away in a dungeon beneath their keep. Spells kept the lich from reforming completely or from finding it. Over the years, the keep collapsed but the town grew up around it and now the dungeon is underneath, appropriately, the town's graveyard