[WW] Fellowship of the Ring III - interest?

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Lagom Lite

[WW] Fellowship of the Ring III - interest?

Post by Lagom Lite »

It's been three years since we did FotR II - I'd like to contribute toward getting the OO werewolf club going again. Who would be interested in this? (see my sig for previous iterations).

As I recall there were some rules frustrations for team Sauron which above all means I will be removing/reworking the Hunt Some Orc mechanic, forcing the Fellowship to lynch and generally instilling a feeling of agency for the baddies. Details to follow, and as always feel free to discuss.

I want to gauge interest first though. It'd be nice to have somewhere around 11-14 players for this.

1. Holman
2. Remus West (unless busy giving thanks)
3. Vorret
4. Morliere
5. Brewcastle
6. I-can't-believe-it's-not-Lassr
7. Scoop90210
8. Chaosraven
9. Grundor, Steward of Griffenbee
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:49 am, edited 9 times in total.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Re: [WW] Fellowship of the Ring III - interest?

Post by Lagom Lite »

Fellowship of the Ring III

Many Meetings

Frodo woke and found himself lying in bed. At first he thought that he had slept late, after a long unpleasant dream that still hovered on the edge of memory. Or perhaps he had been ill? But the ceiling looked strange; it was flat, and it had dark beams richly carved. He lay a little while longer looking at the patches of sunlight on the wall, and listening to the sound of a waterfall.

”Where am I, and what is the time?” he said aloud to the ceiling.

”In the House of Elrond, and it is ten o’clock in the morning,” said a voice. ”It is the morning of October the twenty-fourth, if you want to know.”

”Gandalf!” cried Frodo, sitting up. There was the old wizard, sitting in a chair by the open window.

”Yes,” he said, ”I am here. And you are lucky to be here, too, after all the absurd things you have done since you left home.”

THE FELLOWSHIP

HOBBITS

Hobbits

Hobbits are immune to corruption. If they get control of the One Ring, they not succumb to darkness. If a Hobbit controls the Ring at the start of the 7th Chapter, they must immediately pass it on to another Hobbit or to Gollum. Failure to do so causes the Servants of the Eye to win. Hobbits may not accept Saruman's invitation.

Frodo
Frodo starts with the One Ring but is otherwise a normal Hobbit.

FREE PEOPLE

Aragorn

Aragorn may protect one player each Journey. Aragorn may not protect the same player two Journeys in a row. Protected players are immune to Hunts by Servants of the Eye. Aragorn is told which action, if any, he managed to interrput (Kill/Capture). Aragorn may not protect Captured players.

Gandalf
Gandalf may determine the nature of one player once per Journey. Frodo, the Hobbits and Gollum will scan as Hobbits. Aragorn, Gandalf, Boromir and Warriors of the Free People will scan as Free People. Corrupted players, Uruk-Hai, Saruman and the Witch-King will scan as Servants of the Eye.

Boromir
Boromir wants to bring the One Ring to his father Denethor, Steward of Gondor. He wins with the Servants of the Eye, not with the Fellowship. Boromir is misguided, but not initially corrupted - as long as he does not possess the One Ring he counts as a Warrior of the Free People for the purpose of scans and ability to Hunt Some Orc. If the last Hobbit is killed however, the Ring passes to Boromir, corrupting him and allowing him access to the Servants of the Eye forum.

Warriors of the Free People
Warriors of the Free People have a sacred task to protect the Ringbearer at any cost. They have no special power by themselves, but as long as at least one of the Free People (including Aragorn, Gandalf and Boromir) is alive the Fellowship has the ability to Hunt some Orc.

SERVANTS OF THE EYE

The Servants of the Eye have access to a secret forum in which to plot and coordinate.

Uruk-Hai
The Uruk-Hai are given command by Saruman to seek out and capture the Hobbits, alive and unspoiled, for they carry an Elvish weapon. Each Journey, the Uruk-Hai may Hunt one player. If target player is Free People, that player is killed. If target player is a Hobbit, Frodo or Gollum, that player is captured. Hunting may be disrupted by Aragorn. The Uruk-Hai is told if and what kind of action was disrupted by Aragorn (Kill, Capture).

Saruman
As a one-time ability, Saruman may invite a player to join the Servants of the Eye. He may do this at any time. The invitation may be declined. Invited players who accept Saruman's invitation are corrupted, join the Servants of the Eye forum and change their victory condition to the Servants of the Eye victory condition. Inviting a player does not reveal the identity of Saruman to that player.
* If the Uruk-Hai is slain, Saruman inherits the Hunting power.

Witch-King
Once each Chapter (Day cycle), the Nazghul Witch-King of Angmar may search for the One Ring by targeting a player. The Witch-King will determine whether that player holds the One Ring or not. If the search order is not submitted before a voting majority is reached, the scan is wasted for the day.
* If both the Uruk-Hai and Saruman are slain, the Witch-King inherits the Hunting power. If the With-King is also slain, the Hunting power is inherited by a random Servant of the Eye.

GOLLUM

Gollum
Gollum wants the Ring for himself, and he is accustomed enough to its wiles that he can withstand the desire to return it to its Lord. Gollum is immune to corruption (as we know it) and will hold the Ring without becoming a Servant of the Eye.
* Gollum may not accept Saruman's invitation.
* As a one-time ability, Gollum may Steal the Ring from a player. If the target player is not a Ringbearer, the ability is wasted. Gollum cannot Steal the Ring from a Captured player.
* As a one-time ability, Gollum may Guide a player. Guiding revives the player who was Appointed as Scout in the previous Chapter.
* Guiding or Stealing may only be used during Journeys. Neither action can be disrupted by Aragorn.

PASSAGE OF TIME

The goal of the game is getting through 7 days ("Chapters") of travel.

The ”Night” cycle is referred to as the ”Journey”.
The ”Day” cycle is referred to as a ”Chapter”.
The game starts with the first Journey, through Caradhras to the Doors of Durin.

Prologue: Rivendell. (Sign-ups, roles are handed out.)
Journey 1: Caradhras
Chapter 1: The Doors of Durin
Journey 2: Balin’s Tomb
Chapter 2: The Mines of Moria
Journey 3: The Bridge of Khazad-Dum
Chapter 3: Lothlorien
Journey 4: The Great River Anduin
Chapter 4: Rohan
Journey 5: Helm’s Deep
Chapter 5: Fangorn Forest
Journey 6: Isengard
Chapter 6: Minas Tirith
Journey 7: The Black Gate of Mordor
Chapter 7: The Cracks of Doom

Journey sequence of events:

Gollum guides.
Gollum steals.
Gandalf scans.
Aragorn protects.
Servants of the Eye hunt.

Chapter sequence of events:

Broadcast:
Which faction (Fellowship, Servants of the Eye, Gollum) controls the One Ring.
Which players are Captured.
Remaining players.

CHAPTERS

At the start of each Chapter, it will be broadcast which of the three factions control the One Ring (Fellowship, Servants of the Eye or Gollum). Note that simply capturing the Ring isn’t enough for the Servants of the Eye to win, they need to bring it to their Dark Lord. Gollum needs to possess the Ring at the end of the 7th Journey in order to win.

During a Chapter, players must vote to Appoint ”(player name)” as Scout. A majority vote is needed. Once a majority is reached, voting is closed. Captured players may not be Appointed as Scout, may not vote nor post in the game thread.

Being Appointed as Scout is a dangerous task, and will lead to the death of the player appointed (it’s the same as a standard lynch). The player’s alignment is revealed (Fellowhip, Servant of the Eye or Gollum). Corrupted Fellowship members die as Servants of the Eye.

LET THE RINGBEARER DECIDE

A time limit is imposed on Chapters. If the time limit is exceeded, the player who currently has the Ringbearer's vote will be Appointed as Scout. If the time limit is exceeded without an active vote from the Ringbearer, the Ringbearer will be Appointed as Scout.

HUNT SOME ORC

If a Servant of the Eye is lynched, all Captured players are immediately freed. This will only occur as long as at least one Warrior of the Free People - including Gandalf, Aragorn and Boromir - remain alive and uncorrupted.

CAPTURED BY ORCS

Frodo, Gollum or the Hobbits may become Captured by the Servants. Until freed, a Captured player is forbidden to post or vote and may not be Appointed as Scout (lynched). If the Captured player is a Ringbearer, that player keeps the Ring until he is released. Possession of the One Ring is always considered to be with the Servants of the Eye faction in this case. If the Ringbearer is freed by Hunt Some Orc, however, and still uncorrupted the possession of the Ring goes back to whatever faction the Ringbearer has (Fellowship or Gollum).

HEY, GANDALF, CATCH

With the exception of Chapter 7, the One Ring may only be passed to another player if the current Ringbearer dies. Only Frodo, Gollum and the Hobbits can carry the Ring without succumbing to darkness.
* Any Free People who are passed the Ring will be Corrupted immediately and ally with the Servants of the Eye.
* Corrupted players immediately gain access to the Servant secret forum. They keep whatever powers they used to have. Their victory condition change to that of the Servants of the Eye.

If a Ringbearer is killed, the Ring will be passed to another, uncaptured Hobbit. If no Hobbits remain alive or uncaptured, Boromir will receive the Ring and join the Servants of the Eye. If Boromir is dead, the Ring goes to Gollum. If Gollum is dead or captured, the Ring is passed to a random player:
1. A randomly selected, uncaptured Hobbit
2. Boromir
3. Gollum
4. A randomly selected, uncaptured player

VICTORY CONDITIONS

The Fellowship wins if:
At the start of the 7th Chapter: The Ringbearer must pass the Ring to another Hobbit or to Gollum for the Fellowship to destroy the Ring and win. Any other action results in a win for the Servants of the Eye.

The Servants of the Eye wins if:
At the end of the 7th Journey: If the Servants of the Eye controls the One Ring, the Servants of the Eye wins.
At the start of the 7th Chapter: If the Ringbearer fails to pass the Ring on to another Hobbit or to Gollum, the Servants of the Eye wins.

Gollum wins if:
At the end of the 7th Journey: If Gollum controls the One Ring, he will win by running off with it to his secret lair, keeping it hidden for another few hundred years. If Gollum is passed the Ring at the start of the 7th Chapter, however, the Fellowship will win instead.
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

:horse:
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Reserved :tjg:
Is there anyone in hell?

Holman

Post by Holman »

This sounds insanely complex and backstabby and fun.

I'm  IN! 

I adore Tolkien.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If it starts after Thanksgiving I'm in. Otherwise my schedule is to crazy right now. :(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Remus West wrote:If it starts after Thanksgiving I'm in. Otherwise my schedule is to crazy right now. :(
When's that? :)
Is there anyone in hell?

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

October 13th

I'm in, I'll have to read those rules at least 10 times to make sure I understand everything :P
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Remus West wrote:If it starts after Thanksgiving I'm in. Otherwise my schedule is to crazy right now. :(
When's that? :)
Sorry.

If it starts in December I'm in.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Vorret wrote:October 13th
Remus West wrote:If it starts in December I'm in.
You eat turkeys for six weeks??!?
Is there anyone in hell?

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Lagom Lite wrote:
US thanksgiving is at the end of November, 4th thursday in November. November 27th this year. Its a 4-5 day holiday, pretty major overall. 2nd biggest holiday in the US, Christmas first obviously.

I think Vorret was refering to the Canadian holiday.

Also i am not sure if i am in or out. My mid October is not going to be too game friendly, i can be in if folks keep that in mind. But wont be able to play very consistently. I'll try, but....so with that caveat....

IN
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'll see how the sign ups go. I do not have the time like I used to with my new position at work and soccer almost year round now.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Lagom Lite wrote:4. Morliere
:snooty:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

In please
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lagom Lite wrote:
If only. :mrgreen:

It actually has nothing to do with the holiday. It just happens that it when my schedule will lighten at school and coaching.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Who ended up winning last time?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Scoop20906 wrote:Who ended up winning last time?
Good guys have won both games.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Crap, it seems our OOWW free forum is no longer.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

who's got two thumbs and is "in" for this game?

THIS GUY

ok, so without the visual of my thumbs up my nose, you probably don't get the humor.

*sigh*
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Grundor will see it done.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Its gonna be real hard for me to participate in the next 14 days, if it starts i'll try to check in, but no promises.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Newcastle wrote:Its gonna be real hard for me to participate in the next 14 days, if it starts i'll try to check in, but no promises.
That's ok, we lynch the quiet ones first.
Holman

Post by Holman »

‘You ought to go quietly, and you ought to go soon,’ said Gandalf. Two or three weeks had passed, and still Frodo made no sign of getting ready to go.

‘I know. But it is difficult to do both,’ he objected. If I just vanish like Bilbo, the tale will be all over the Shire in no time.’

‘Of course you mustn’t vanish!’ said Gandalf. ‘That wouldn’t do at all! I said soon, not instantly. If you can think of any way of slipping out of the Shire without its being generally known, it will be worth a little delay. But you must not delay too long.’

‘What about the autumn, on or after Our Birthday?’ asked Frodo. ‘I think I could probably make some arrangements by then.’
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

:D

Yeah, it doesn't seem like we'll be starting this yet. Maybe in a couple of months, if people are still interested and we can find a couple more players.
Is there anyone in hell?