Gauging interest on a new twist on a formula forum game.

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

triggercut

Gauging interest on a new twist on a formula forum game.

Post by triggercut »

So over at Qt3, an awesome poster name fire has introduced me to a new style of game that brings a lot of familiar stuff to the Werewolf formula, but with enough twists to make it a completely different game.

It's called Resistance. It's a physical card game, and a great party game that I've already ordered for our next game night.

It translates really well to a forum, though, too.

Here's how it works.

1. There are 10 players. 6 are Resistance (team Goodguy) 4 are nasty, ugly spies (team Badguy).

2. The GM randomly selects a 10-player order. That order remains the same throughout the game.

3. The game proceeds in large scale "Turns". In each Turn, a Team Leader (the top person on the list of players) puts together a team of players to go on a mission. The Resistance wants the Mission to succeed. The spies want it to fail. There are 5 Turns in the game. If there are 3 mission successes in those 5 turns, the Resistance wins. If there are 3 failures in those 5 missions, the spies win.

4. The Leader is also dealt 3 plot cards at the beginning of the Turn. He either plays them himself or hands them out to others, depending on the card.

5. The Leader picks his team. The remaining nine players--including those on the team--vote publicly or privately via PM "YES" or "NO" about whether the team should proceed to the Mission phase. At the end of this phase, all votes, public and private are revealed and attached to players. The entire player group will know which way you voted on this.

6. If the vote is a majority "NO", then the mission attempt is scuttled and a new player becomes Leader. No new cards, but everything repeats.

7. Five scuttled missions in a turn result in a failure, which counts as a point to Team Spy.

8. If the mission goes forward and no plot cards disrupt it, then only the members of each team privately PM their mission success to the GM. Members of the team who are Resistance MUST vote "Success". Spies on the team may vote either "Success" or "Failure".

9. For the mission to succeed, each team member must have voted "Success". One failure fails a mission until Turns four and five (this is a house rule of fire's that I like.)

You can see us playing it in action in this thread, which really shows how simple (and fascinating) the gameplay is. It really is fun, uses a lot of familiar mechanics in new and interesting ways, and breathes some new life into this genre. I think with the right ten people playing it could easily exist concurrent and next to any currently in-play WW games.

Thoughts? Interest?
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Grundbegriff

Re: Gauging interest on a new twist on a formula forum game.

Post by Grundbegriff »

You can see the card game in action here (Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, et al.).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Enjoyable game in person, as long as a player doesn't have an obvious tell.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

I am intrigued but my concern is the same as what has killed the enjoyment of the other games for me - if people sign up but don't play. And it might be worse here as there seems to be a lot of input needed from players before the game can proceed. Have you considered some mechanism for moving the game forward even if we don't hear from someone?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

stessier wrote:I am intrigued but my concern is the same as what has killed the enjoyment of the other games for me - if people sign up but don't play. And it might be worse here as there seems to be a lot of input needed from players before the game can proceed. Have you considered some mechanism for moving the game forward even if we don't hear from someone?
I really like the way fire is running her game at Qt3.

She establishes a time period of 12 hours (with some flexibility) on votes, with no response meaning a Yes vote ("Silence equals consent, comrades!")

I'd probably say we'd need to expand the time window from 12 hours to 24 or 48 and be flexible with weekends.

Also, I'd want to use the plot cards that come with the Plot Thickens expansion (they're packed into new versions of Resistance, my copy of which should be here later today, thanks Amazon Prime!) Those cards aren't used in the simple 5-player game shown on Tabletop.

Also, Allison Scagliotti, rowr.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, a 24 hour deadline would work. I'll read up more on it when I get home.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

My GF just bought me the physical version. I'd love to play this trig. IN!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Just got my copy (and it should be mentioned that it included the Plot Thickens expansion gratis) as well.

Going to try a 6-player game for boardgaming night this Saturday!
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Always in
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I own this game and have never played it. My group always choose other variants IE - Battlestar Galactica, etc..

But I am IN. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

How did the game go?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Scoop20906 wrote:How did the game go?
Spies won. They seem to have something of an advantage in forum games. Looking at ways to address it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I would be in.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Depends when it starts, but I would likely play.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

triggercut wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:How did the game go?
Spies won. They seem to have something of an advantage in forum games. Looking at ways to address it.
Perhaps you could work in the Merlin/Assassin roles from The Resistance: Avalon? They were previously available as a promo expansion for the original game, and are now included as part of the Hidden Agenda expansion (as the Commander [Merlin] and Assassin). The Merlin/Commander role is obviously similar to the Seer in conventional Werewolf, and can potentially help the good guys. Although with the Assassin, it necessitates a whole new level of intrigue and deception.

The rules for the additional characters are available here.

Personally, I've always preferred playing The Resistance: Avalon over its predecessor, largely because of the additional roles (as well as the removal of the plot cards, thereby eliminating the element of luck from the game). The additional roles mean that players tend to behave differently -- not just when they are good or evil, but also potentially when they are specific roles.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

This sounds intriguing. I would give it a whirl. :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.